PDA

View Full Version : The American Press is Destroying Itself

Nephrology
06-13-2020, 12:06 PM
Great article (https://taibbi.substack.com/p/the-news-media-is-destroying-itself) by Matt Taibbi.

But police violence, and Trump’s daily assaults on the presidential competence standard, are only part of the disaster. On the other side of the political aisle, among self-described liberals, we’re watching an intellectual revolution. It feels liberating to say after years of tiptoeing around the fact, but the American left has lost its mind. It’s become a cowardly mob of upper-class social media addicts, Twitter Robespierres who move from discipline to discipline torching reputations and jobs with breathtaking casualness.

The leaders of this new movement are replacing traditional liberal beliefs about tolerance, free inquiry, and even racial harmony with ideas so toxic and unattractive that they eschew debate, moving straight to shaming, threats, and intimidation. They are counting on the guilt-ridden, self-flagellating nature of traditional American progressives, who will not stand up for themselves, and will walk to the Razor voluntarily.

Taibbi is hardly a conservative, too.

LittleLebowski
06-13-2020, 12:10 PM
Matt Taibbi gets shit on Twitter every day for publishing the truth about the Russia collusion hoax. Nice to see one real journalist left.

fixer
06-13-2020, 12:16 PM
Taibbi is a good read. I disagree with him about 85% of the time. He is one of the rare leftists I'll usually read to get a good perspective on things.

Nephrology
06-13-2020, 12:16 PM
Matt Taibbi gets shit on Twitter every day for publishing the truth about the Russia collusion hoax. Nice to see one real journalist left.

Yeah, I've followed his work since the TARP/'08 financial crisis investigative work he's done, which I found really respectable. He's continued to impress me since.

Really infuriating that our country has devolved to a point that people like him are seen as bad actors. I'm sure he and I don't agree on everything, but he is the kind of person whose opinion I would carefully consider regardless.

There's also been a very scary parallel in the scientific world, particularly Ioannidis and the IFR/CFR debate. It was revolting to watch a bunch of hit pieces appear in the lay media accusing him of misconduct, when these journalists probably haven't taken a science class since college. He just didn't fit their world view.

the Schwartz
06-13-2020, 12:19 PM
''In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.'' --George Orwell

EPF
06-13-2020, 12:20 PM
Yeah, I've followed his work since the TARP/'08 financial crisis investigative work he's done, which I found really respectable. He's continued to impress me since.

Really infuriating that our country has devolved to a point that people like him are seen as bad actors. I'm sure he and I don't agree on everything, but he is the kind of person whose opinion I would carefully consider regardless.

I started following his work on exposing the fake WMD in Iraq 03 story. I could not agree more that it’s so nice to be able to respect someone whom I disagree with on so many things.

blues
06-13-2020, 12:24 PM
''In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.'' --George Orwell

I feel like that's our job now. It's worth the shit pay.

pooty
06-13-2020, 12:40 PM
Taibbi is a good read. I disagree with him about 85% of the time. He is one of the rare leftists I'll usually read to get a good perspective on things.

him and Michael Tracey. two honest lefties w balls

GyroF-16
06-13-2020, 02:30 PM
Great article (https://taibbi.substack.com/p/the-news-media-is-destroying-itself) by Matt Taibbi.

Taibbi is hardly a conservative, too.

Thanks, Neph.
I’ll be going back and reading more of Taibbi’s work.

Totem Polar
06-13-2020, 03:13 PM
I saw that article earlier; I agree that it’s solid work.

For those that do the Joe Rogan listener thing, there’s a few interviews with Taibbi, eg.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GJaLAIM1Ho