PDA

View Full Version : Havok Journal on PsyOps against the USA

Joe S
06-13-2020, 08:29 AM
https://havokjournal.com/world/we-are-the-useful-idiots-how-our-nation-divided-is-playing-straight-into-the-hands-of-our-greatest-enemies/

A commentary/reminder about outside parties influencing American politics and culture.

BehindBlueI's
06-13-2020, 08:50 AM
I mentioned this very thing a bit back when the riots really started. I am so much further down the totem pole for intelligence products that I'm basically a rock under the hole the pole is set in and even at my level I see and believe this.

Dealing with disinformation is essential for the survival of our Democracy as we know it. Our adversaries are really chipping away at us with this pandemic, sowing discord in African-American communities, and at the same time taking advantage of the far-right chat rooms to exploit predispositions towards racist ideologies. All of that is being done by state actors like Russia, China, and Iran.

We also live in an era of outrage. For many of us, social media feels so real that expressions of outrage online have come to suffice for action in the face of injustice. This process even has a name now: “virtue signaling.” And we use social media to polarize ourselves along the lines of hot button topics.

blues
06-13-2020, 08:52 AM
Nothing new there. We've used these techniques to sow discord, and they are increasingly used against us.

Good luck trying to separate the wheat from the chaff when there is virtually no reliable means of doing so for the average citizen. Who to believe, when the media and the politicians so often get it wrong?

Pandora's box is wide open and nobody knows how to get it shut.

"...believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear..."

Baldanders
06-13-2020, 08:58 AM
Excellent article.

Considering how effective 4Chan/ the Alt-right (they don't use that label anymore and they were no more organized than ANTIFA is anyway)
was in shifting public discussions even before foreign actors got involved in a big way, it's no surprise that intelligence agencies are using the same techniques.

The human nervous system was not evolved to deal with long-term threats, or evaluating the validity of multiple information sources. The steps the author outlined at the end may help, I hope.

randyho
06-13-2020, 09:13 AM
No arguments with anything in the article. But, I think 17 trackers on one web page is a new record. Given the content, a little ironic.

Joe S
06-13-2020, 09:29 AM
I mentioned this very thing a bit back when the riots really started.

I had referenced that here: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?42917-Seattle-Autonomous-Zone&p=1064974&viewfull=1#post1064974

Sorry I didn't specifically mention you. I wasn't trying to draw you into anything and don't really have the hang of the mention feature.

I think it's a lesson we all have learned well before, but it's easy to forget. It's abstract and seemingly removed from the (prepackaged) info in front of our faces. I've been thinking about it a lot, and remembering some old late night conversations with returned from the GWOT Intel guys, and feel really stupid I wasn't weighing it more heavily in my thought processes over the last few months.