PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know who hijacked the president’s Twitter account

Kanye Wyoming
06-12-2020, 10:59 PM
and started tweeting sensible, responsible, nice, unifying stuff?

RevolverRob
06-12-2020, 11:10 PM
Did anyone else just see the four horsemen of the apocalypse ride by?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k9IfHDi-2EA

Kanye Wyoming
06-13-2020, 12:17 AM
I so love the world from time to time.

RJ
06-13-2020, 08:04 AM
Wow.

I just looked out the window here in Tampa and saw a formation of Pigs fly by.

Yeah, good call.

Will be interesting to contrast the event that Biden puts on from his Sanctuary Basement for Juneteenth, vs. Trump's version. I would not be surprised to see Trump visit Galveston for a BBQ/Soul Food celebration. Maybe he will declare it a National Holiday and end-run the Progressives. Heh.

mdf9183
06-13-2020, 08:46 AM
This rally was to be held in Oklahoma and Junteenth is a Texas thing. It was when the black people in Texas learned that Lincoln had freed the slaves. So is this now a national thing just because Trump was going to hold a rally on that day.

trailrunner
06-13-2020, 09:16 AM
I have a few liberal friends on FB that I haven't yet blocked. This seems like a calculated, but nice gesture that would be without controversy, but they are still finding ways to use this to criticize Trump.

Borderland
06-13-2020, 09:59 AM
It may be that all of Trumps rallies are a thing of the past due to the unstable social situations and covid in most large cities.

Having to sign a waiver to hold harmless the rally organizers against a law suit from the contraction of covid would be enough to keep me away if I were a Trump supporter.

The political climate has changed considerably since 2015.

Baldanders
06-13-2020, 10:16 AM
I'm just waiting for the upcoming centennial of the Tulsa Race Massacre to make it's way into the public narrative on this.

Did no one close to Trump watch Watchmen? 😉

A show set in an alternate universe Tulsa with massive White Supremacist conspiracy, largely started by a fictionalized version of Trump's dad?

This should be interesting.

vcdgrips
06-13-2020, 10:20 AM
To the extent that Trump is taking a deserved heat on the date change for the rally in Tulsa, the argument goes that he should have known better. More precisely, his staff should have known better.

Such a conclusion would mean he has a advance staff that knows what it is doing and a principal that listens to its advance staff.

I went to college with a guy who did advance work for Bush I. They literally had lists of lists that covered these types of things.

RJ
06-13-2020, 11:32 AM
https://nypost.com/2020/06/11/biden-conflates-juneteenth-celebration-with-tulsa-massacre/

Joe Biden got his facts garbled again on Thursday, apparently mistaking the day marking the emancipation of American slaves with what’s considered one of the worst massacres of African-Americans in US history.

“He’s going down to Texas on Juneteenth, right? The first major massacre, literally speaking, of ‘Black Wall Street,’ right? Years ago,” the gaffe-prone veep said, referring to President Trump during a roundtable with community members on how to reopen the economy during the coronavirus pandemic

FrankinCA
06-13-2020, 11:36 AM
“It is in your nature to destroy yourselves..”

blues
06-13-2020, 11:41 AM
****Parody****

The Devil Went Down to Tulsa

The devil went down to Tulsa
He was lookin' for some votes to steal
He was in a bind
'Cause he was way behind
And he was willin' to make a deal...

****Parody****

pangloss
06-13-2020, 11:57 AM
This rally was to be held in Oklahoma and Junteenth is a Texas thing. It was when the black people in Texas learned that Lincoln had freed the slaves. So is this now a national thing just because Trump was going to hold a rally on that day.Juneteenth is definitely not just a Texas thing. It first came to my attention ~20 years ago when I lived in Alabama.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

blues
06-13-2020, 12:12 PM
Juneteenth is definitely not just a Texas thing. It first came to my attention ~20 years ago when I lived in Alabama.

Honestly, I was unaware of it. I can't give a reason why.

rcbusmc24
06-13-2020, 12:19 PM

I had to Google it as well.... That said I like the concept of the celebration and am happy it's a thing, not that we need another federal holiday but I would support this becoming one...Hey... I'm a federal employee... we're always looking for more days off....

Borderland
06-13-2020, 12:32 PM

Apparently so was everyone on Trumps' staff. But then they're missing the change ups with regularity these days.

Biden isn't doing any better tho. He's being well managed but he probably couldn't find his way home two blocks from his house.

pangloss
06-13-2020, 12:37 PM
Honestly, I was unaware of it. I can't give a reason why.Alabama has a lot of civil rights history. Living there and having a lot of very well educated black coworkers made it something that I couldn't miss. I'd not heard of it when I left Mississippi a couple of years prior.

Borderland
06-13-2020, 12:39 PM
I had to Google it as well.... That said I like the concept of the celebration and am happy it's a thing, not that we need another federal holiday but I would support this becoming one...Hey... I'm a federal employee... we're always looking for more days off....

I think I had 13 holidays and about 5 weeks of vacation when I retired. I could literally stay away from work 2 months a year.

They paid me for 172 hours of sick leave ( I had about 700 on the books) and 240 hours of vacation.

I wasn't a fed employee but I know the feeling.

blues
06-13-2020, 12:44 PM
Alabama has a lot of civil rights history. Living there and having a lot of very well educated black coworkers made it something that I couldn't miss. I'd not heard of it when I left Mississippi a couple of years prior.

My last (late) black partner was originally from Hattiesburg, MS. I never heard him mention it...and I've been through Kwanzaa, Ramadan and lots of other things with him...including the Rodney King horror.

I usually pride myself on knowing a lot of things, but somehow this one never made a blip on my radar. It certainly wasn't because I willfully ignored it.

RevolverRob
06-13-2020, 01:06 PM
I'm just waiting for the upcoming centennial of the Tulsa Race Massacre to make it's way into the public narrative on this.

Already occurring -

Slate made sure to mention it in the second paragraph of this article (https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/06/trump-postpones-tulsa-rally-respect-juneteenth-holiday.html), from 4-hours ago.

Vox wrote a whole article about it back on May 31 (https://www.vox.com/identities/2020/5/31/21276084/tulsa-race-massacre-black-wall-street-protests-george-floyd).

GyroF-16
06-13-2020, 01:10 PM
I’m with you blues. I had honestly never heard of Juneteenth until the news today.
I’m all for celebrating the end of slavery - I’d just never heard of that date for that event.

And Biden isn’t the only one to conflate Juneteenth with the date of the Tulsa Riots/Massacre. The USA Today article I read on it today implies that having the Trump rally in Tulsa on Juneteenth was somehow a slap in the face, since that’s the site of the massacre I mentioned above. But all the records I found on google indicate that it took place on June 1st, 1921. So the only thing to link the two items is same city, same month, 99 years later. Seemed like a bit of a reach to me... For instance, would it be similarly in poor taste to hold a rally in Dallas in November - because that’s the same city and same month that JFK was assassinated?
Just sounds like political BS.
But that certainly was a mature tweet to announce it. I’m guessing Trump didn’t dictate that one.

pangloss
06-13-2020, 01:48 PM
It certainly wasn't because I willfully ignored it.

I never much figured you for being the willfully ignorant type!

Baldanders
06-13-2020, 01:48 PM
Already occurring -

Slate made sure to mention it in the second paragraph of this article (https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/06/trump-postpones-tulsa-rally-respect-juneteenth-holiday.html), from 4-hours ago.

Vox wrote a whole article about it back on May 31 (https://www.vox.com/identities/2020/5/31/21276084/tulsa-race-massacre-black-wall-street-protests-george-floyd).

It certainly lends itself to protest outfits in the age of Covid.

Baldanders
06-13-2020, 01:59 PM
I’m with you blues. I had honestly never heard of Juneteenth until the news today.
I’m all for celebrating the end of slavery - I’d just never heard of that date for that event.

And Biden isn’t the only one to conflate Juneteenth with the date of the Tulsa Riots/Massacre. The USA Today article I read on it today implies that having the Trump rally in Tulsa on Juneteenth was somehow a slap in the face, since that’s the site of the massacre I mentioned above. But all the records I found on google indicate that it took place on June 1st, 1921. So the only thing to link the two items is same city, same month, 99 years later. Seemed like a bit of a reach to me... For instance, would it be similarly in poor taste to hold a rally in Dallas in November - because that’s the same city and same month that JFK was assassinated?
Just sounds like political BS.
But that certainly was a mature tweet to announce it. I’m guessing Trump didn’t dictate that one.

I wasn't aware of any conflation of the two dates.

It is just really is odd to pick Tulsa after Watchmen, especially since it brought the Massacre to mass public attention (I was clueless about it) and it deals with issues over policing and the Klan, AND it has an Easter Egg that strongly implies Fred Trump is behind a supervillain plot to make black folks go insane with a mind-control device.

Plus, execvation and identification of the bodies is still ongoing. The project got started after the show ended, I believe. (Not causal, AFAIK)

Trump confronting it head-on would be really interesting.

TAZ
06-13-2020, 02:00 PM
Orange man bad no matter what. Schedule a rally on a day nobody knows about: he is EEEEEEEVIL. Realize a mistake and change the day: he is EEEEEEVIL.

It is the guys who think mostly peaceful can include burning buildings...

blues
06-13-2020, 02:05 PM
I wasn't aware of any conflation of the two dates.

It is just really is odd to pick Tulsa after Watchmen, especially since it brought the Massacre to mass public attention (I was clueless about it) and it deals with issues over policing and the Klan, AND it has an Easter Egg that strongly implies Fred Trump is behind a supervillain plot to make black folks go insane with a mind-control device.

Plus, execvation and identification of the bodies is still ongoing. The project got started after the show ended, I believe. (Not causal, AFAIK)

Trump confronting it head-on would be really interesting.

You're kidding, right? A movie based on a comic book which I'm sure I can't be the only person who hasn't seen it.

This is what our national decisions are supposed to be based upon. And beyond that, now the entire city of Tulsa, today, is to be held ransom over it?

Well, I'm not going to London anytime soon...you know, Oliver Twist.

Name me a city where something bad hasn't happened in America?

Baldanders
06-13-2020, 02:21 PM
You're kidding, right? A movie based on a comic book which I'm sure I can't be the only person who hasn't seen it.

This is what our national decisions are supposed to be based upon. And beyond that, now the entire city of Tulsa, today, is to be held ransom over it?

Well, I'm not going to London anytime soon...you know, Oliver Twist.

Name me a city where something bad hasn't happened in America?

Aerial bombing of Black business districts has happened everywhere? Organized concentration of huge number of black folks into alleyways to be mowed down by gunfire, black folks who tried to escape shot in nearby towns?

I guess I have a lot to learn.

Watchmen made many "books of the century" lists. A work of amazing sophistication . The "Citzen Kane" of superhero works. (It made me largely stop reading superhero stories.)

The show was head and shoulders the best thing on TV last year, IMO.

blues
06-13-2020, 02:32 PM

Please don't make comic books or movies based upon comic books required reading or viewing for citizens to prove whether or not they are aware of history.

I prefer to get my history from better source material than either. You prepared to call me a racist because of it?

Oklahoma has had its share of bad history (https://www.amazon.com/Killers-Flower-Moon-Osage-Murders-ebook/dp/B01CWZFBZ4), that's for certain.

So, do we expel them from the union? Or do we move forward? There's no state without blood on its hands.

I suppose the people of Tulsa deserve the kick in the teeth you're so willing to administer.

Clearly, you and I will never be of like minds...and I'm okay with that.

GyroF-16
06-13-2020, 02:35 PM
Wow- I wouldn’t have predicted that this thread could “Jump the Shark”, especially this rapidly.

Yet, it has.

Aerial bombing of Black business districts has happened everywhere? Organized concentration of huge number of black folks into alleyways to be mowed down by gunfire, black folks who tried to escape shot in nearby towns?

I guess I have a lot to learn.

Watchmen made many "books of the century" lists. A work of amazing sophistication . The "Citzen Kane" of superhero works. (It made me largely stop reading superhero stories.)

AKDoug
06-13-2020, 11:25 PM

I was clueless as well until this thread. I guess I'm a racist after all.