PDA

View Full Version : 2 Hour Long Battle Royale With Expedia Over Cancelled Flight Refunds. I Am Karen!

Nightvisionary
06-12-2020, 08:34 PM
Today I had an Epic 2 hour long instant chat cage match with EXPEDIA customer service. It was awesome, hilarious, and disturbing all at the same time. I fought no fewer than 3 and possibly 4 opponents over 2 hours before they finally tapped out. They learned an important lesson : I am patient and it can be exhausting to argue with me.

I had booked a round trip flight to Arizona for early April. The flights were cancelled due to COVID. I immediately called American and Delta and requested refunds. Federal law is crystal clear on this issue. If the airline cancels your flight they must provide a full refund if requested. Passengers do not have to accept vouchers or credits. The law also applies to travel agencies and booking companies like Expedia.

When I saw the discussion was going in a bad direction I took screen shots of everything which are included below and pretty entertaining. I dropped links in the chat to a news report on Expedia keeping refunds as well the the Federal law on the DOT website. Expedia makes it so difficult for passengers to get the refunds they are due by law that most probably just give up. I can only imagine that they are sitting on tens of millions of dollars in refunds that they refuse to process. Needless to say, I will be closing my Expedia account as soon as my flight refunds come through.

okie john
06-12-2020, 09:17 PM
I refuse absolutely to use Expedia. You can nearly always book directly through the airline and get within 2-3% of the same fare but with an honest and forthright customer service organization.

It’s a small price to pay.

Okie John

Mark D
06-12-2020, 11:01 PM
Nice job - perserverance pays off! I wasn't aware that refunds were available under federal law. I had a flight canceled due to COVID - I'm going to demand a refund too.

SecondsCount
06-12-2020, 11:49 PM
I have had good luck with Expedia but have heard some real horror stories.

AKDoug
06-13-2020, 09:51 AM
I refuse absolutely to use Expedia. You can nearly always book directly through the airline and get within 2-3% of the same fare but with an honest and forthright customer service organization.

It’s a small price to pay.

Okie John I used to think the same thing. I'm on day 10 convincing Delta to give me my money back. At least I managed to get the flights cancelled and moved them over to credits towards another flight. Current hold time to talk to a representative of Delta is 9 hours, but they claim if you leave a number they will call you back. I've requested call times when I'm actually awake to no avail.

Currently dealing with United on the same issue, but I'm only on the second day of that.

Both these companies have it within their power to simply put a button on their online site to allow us to refund back the money, but they haven't done it. The only thing that is allowed online is a credit towards another flight.