PDA

View Full Version : "When to Shoot" book recommendations

cutter
05-30-2012, 02:01 PM
Hi,

Anyone got any recommendations on good books on WHEN to use a firearm in self-defense? I've dug out my old copy of Mas Ayoob's " In the Gravest Extreme" for re-reading and was wondering if there is anything newer out there that anyone would recommend.

How good is "The Farnam Method of Defensive Handgunning" on this?

NickA
05-30-2012, 07:20 PM
Farnam's book has a few chapters devoted to use of force, conflict deescalation, dealing with the police, managing unknown contacts, etc. There's also good stuff on what he calls "the stealth existence " and mindset, which is pretty much his forte. Probably half of the book covers technique (somewhat Modern Technique based) and how to operate different types of handguns. I definitely recommend it, but it may not be what you're looking for (doesn't present scenarios or really go in depth on the subject).
You may want to check out "Lessons from Armed America" by Kathy Jackson and Mark Walters(?). It runs through several different cases then discusses the legalities, psychological impact, etc of each one. Will definitely provide some food for thought.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Sig Willy
05-30-2012, 08:51 PM
How about, "After You Shoot - Your gun's hot. The perp's not. Now what?"

Very good book to read, especially about the 911 calls and the author interviewed several attorneys on the subject. Also has the Adnarim (Miranda backward) to say to cops.

It can save your life.