PDA

View Full Version : Oregon Deputy Charged With Official Misconduct in 2 Year Old Use of Force Case.

Nightvisionary
06-11-2020, 03:16 PM
This is kind of an interesting case. I first became aware of it a week ago when I heard a report that a Washington County Deputy was being investigated for "Racial" comments he made in an email 16 years ago, 4 years before getting hired by the SO. At that time I thought it was absolutely ridiculous and purely politically motivated to investigate someone for such a thing.

The pieces fell together after reading/watching this news report on this 2 year old use of force that resulted in head trauma. The firm that is representing the plaintiff has a long reputation of being very effective at winning excessive force and negligence cases against local governments. They likely took advantage of the current state of affairs to put pressure on the county through the emails probably found during discovery and this video footage. After watching the video I am very surprised that multiple outside agencies declined to pursue assault charges. The Use of Force begins at about 1:30. It appears other deputies were kind of dumbfounded over what they witnessed and not enthusiastic about getting in the middle of it.

https://katu.com/news/local/video-shows-washington-county-jail-deputy-attack-inmate-posing-for-booking-photo

El Cid
06-11-2020, 04:45 PM
This is kind of an interesting case. I first became aware of it a week ago when I heard a report that a Washington County Deputy was being investigated for "Racial" comments he made in an email 16 years ago, 4 years before getting hired by the SO. At that time I thought it was absolutely ridiculous and purely politically motivated to investigate someone for such a thing.

The pieces fell together after reading/watching this news report on this 2 year old use of force that resulted in head trauma. The firm that is representing the plaintiff has a long reputation of being very effective at winning excessive force and negligence cases against local governments. They likely took advantage of the current state of affairs to put pressure on the county through the emails probably found during discovery and this video footage. After watching the video I am very surprised that multiple outside agencies declined to pursue assault charges. The Use of Force begins at about 1:30. It appears other deputies were kind of dumbfounded over what they witnessed and not enthusiastic about getting in the middle of it.

https://katu.com/news/local/video-shows-washington-county-jail-deputy-attack-inmate-posing-for-booking-photo

Um. Wow! Subjects say things to try and get us pissed or triggered. If you can’t ignore it then find another profession. I’m only guessing that’s what happened since there’s no audio. Even with just the video I feel comfortable saying I’d prosecute the deputy if it was my call. I can’t even imagine anything that would justify the deputy’s actions.

Seven_Sicks_Two
06-11-2020, 05:12 PM

I had the same response when reading about it in the local news. I figured they were just looking for a sketchy UOF to hang him with to appease the SJW crowd upset by his emails.

But this clearly isn't that. Nothing in that video justifies the deputy's actions.

BehindBlueI's
06-11-2020, 07:52 PM
...yeah, he fucked up. Can't slap around mouthy drunks or whack surly bartenders these days.

wilco423
06-12-2020, 05:03 PM
Seems pretty egregious. Also, riding a bicycle while drunk is illegal in Oregon???

hiro
06-12-2020, 05:12 PM
Seems pretty egregious. Also, riding a bicycle while drunk is illegal in Oregon???

Pretty sure it's illegal in most places, you just don't hear about it too often.

BehindBlueI's
06-12-2020, 05:20 PM

Legal in Indiana, assuming it's a pedal cycle. Public intoxication if you're a threat to yourself or harassing or alarming others.

paherne
06-12-2020, 05:45 PM
Ambush speed... That's gonna leave a mark.

wilco423
06-12-2020, 06:07 PM
Legal in Indiana, assuming it's a pedal cycle. Public intoxication if you're a threat to yourself or harassing or alarming others.

Public intox isn’t a crime in MN anymore, forgot it still is in other states. About all we could do would be to take them to detox.

0ddl0t
06-13-2020, 01:20 AM

Also illegal in California, as is riding a horse: https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/02/26/man-busted-dui-after-riding-his-horse-california-freeway/372144002/

ralph
06-13-2020, 09:57 AM
Illegal in Ohio as well. Some time back the state of Ohio changed DUI to OVI.. the difference is, DUI ment driving a MOTOR vehicle under the influence of drugs or alcohol...OVI means driving a VEHICLE under the influence of drugs or alcohol..See the difference? By dropping one word, they can cast a much wider net..This means if you’re operating a bicycle, tractor, riding lawn mower, Amish buggy, etc, while under the influence, you can get charged..My late wife and I ( R.I.P., Linda) ran a DUI camp for 15 years, and we seen it all , people getting charged with OVI, operating all the above..including an Amish man who was passed out drunk, in the buggy, while the horse was taking him home, and doing a good job, the problem here is, the horse can’t read traffic lights, or signs...

Oldherkpilot
06-13-2020, 02:02 PM
...yeah, he fucked up. Can't slap around mouthy drunks or whack surly bartenders these days.

Even if there's a photograph of you back in your Ranger days behind the bar?

BehindBlueI's
06-13-2020, 04:43 PM
Even if there's a photograph of you back in your Ranger days behind the bar?

Back when folks was talking about making us governors.

blues
06-13-2020, 04:45 PM
Back when folks was talking about making us governors.

On the other hand, if'n you were Ike Clanton, you could get away with such, 'cause the law don't go around here...savvy?

https://youtu.be/kl57wPIejPU

hufnagel
06-13-2020, 05:04 PM
Illegal in Ohio as well. Some time back the state of Ohio changed DUI to OVI.. the difference is, DUI ment driving a MOTOR vehicle under the influence of drugs or alcohol...OVI means driving a VEHICLE under the influence of drugs or alcohol..See the difference? By dropping one word, they can cast a much wider net..This means if you’re operating a bicycle, tractor, riding lawn mower, Amish buggy, etc, while under the influence, you can get charged..My late wife and I ( R.I.P., Linda) ran a DUI camp for 15 years, and we seen it all , people getting charged with OVI, operating all the above..including an Amish man who was passed out drunk, in the buggy, while the horse was taking him home, and doing a good job, the problem here is, the horse can’t read traffic lights, or signs...

I'll bet you 2 preferred frosty beverages that there are horses (amish owned or otherwise) that *can* "read" signs or traffic lights. I've seen other animals do it. :D

Coyotesfan97
06-13-2020, 05:05 PM
On the other hand, if'n you were Ike Clanton, you could get away with such, 'cause the law don't go around here...savvy?

https://youtu.be/kl57wPIejPU

Especially Kansas Lawdogs but I hear there’s a spelling bee coming up