PDA

View Full Version : My Fat Feathered Freeloaders and Their Finicky Friend

MistWolf
06-10-2020, 08:22 PM
At end of May, beginning of June, I out out a bird feeder. The only feed I had was a black sunflower mix, which I was told is usually used as a supplement to the normal birdseed mix. I don't know much about the different bird species (except those I find tasty) but my wife tells me we're getting a mix of wrens & finches and five or six birds would sit at the feeder at a time. They seemed to like the sunflower seeds. However, I figured I'd try a bag of regular birdseed, which only has a few sunflower seeds in the mix, next time I filled the feeder.

Our dining room has a big bay window and we like to watch the birds while we eat. We can see the feeder from where we sit, but not the ground under the feeder. At lunch, only one bird (my wife tells it was a wren) was eating at the feeder. When I stood up from the table, I saw there were six or seven birds feeding. I wondered why they weren't eating at the feeder.

That's when I noticed the wren at the feeder was casting the birdseeds out of the feeder with its beak and only eating the sunflower it was separating out from the mix. The rest of the birds were happily eating the birdseed flung to the ground. It's like he told his fat feathered freeloading buddies "I'll go up there and toss out the birdseed to make easier for you guys down hear" without telling them he was keeping the special sunflower seeds for himself.