PDA

View Full Version : Shooting with gloves.

AHL
03-16-2011, 10:14 PM
Anyone care to offer any insights for shooting with gloves? I had a less than perfect day on the range today and want to pretend it was because I was wearing gloves.:D

ToddG
03-16-2011, 10:15 PM
Shooting with gloves can range anywhere from less than ideal to absolutely impossible depending on the gloves you choose.

FWIW, I buy gloves that are as tacky/sticky/textured as possible in the palm. I find this makes a huge difference in my ability to maintain positive control of the gun in recoil.

Beyond that, learning to press the trigger without the same level of tactile interaction, and learning to operate all the controls through shifting fabric, just takes time and practice.

Joe in PNG
03-16-2011, 10:23 PM
Because I'm one of the board's biggest recoil wimps, and because my big mitts might as well have "bite me" written on them, I shoot while wearing gloves. Mainly, I'm partial to a set of Bell fingerless bicycle gloves with padded palms I got at a Wal-Mart about 7 years ago. They were especially great back when I owned a PPK.

And I still have that same set- which, in addition to shooting, I also use for: playing the congas, motorcycle riding, bike riding, and working in cold weather.

BWT
03-16-2011, 10:27 PM
I never thought I'd be one to shoot with gloves, I have VZ Double diamond grips on my 1911, etc, I lift weights, use my hands (reasonably, but I don't do manual labor for a living) for most common things.

Then I bought an SGL21 (AK Variant), and... I think I could see me using gloves if I was using it in a class or competition, etc.

It can be a little hard on the hands.

ETA: That and edges of the dust cover, the charging handle, the safety lever, the gas tube lever, etc, all just want to cut your hands, I realized this after handling it for a few hours one day. It's not terrible, but I think with extended usage, it might not be a bad idea.

MTechnik
03-16-2011, 10:34 PM
I have a pair of knock-off mechanix style gloves. Stretchy breathable material, and grippy suede bits where you need them. They're not extreme cold gloves, but at freezing temps with some wind, they're a hell of a lot better than bare fingers.

At least until you dump a few mags through the AR, then you can warm your fingers on the handguards.

GJM
03-16-2011, 10:42 PM
I frequently shoot wearing nomex flight gloves, both because I am a pilot, and I live in generally cold places. I notice no negative effect on my shooting with nomex flight gloves, and last March ran a week long Gunsite course shooting a 1911 and AK/AR wearing flight gloves. I will be at a Rogers course in GA in April, and plan to shoot it with a P30 and nomex flight gloves.

The one exception is shooting the HK 45C. That grip is short enough that bare handed I often pinch my hand as I seat the magazine, and while I don't pinch my hand with flight gloves, the glove is caught between the magazine base plate and grip, making it impossible for me to let go of the pistol without releasing the magazine. While it might be a stealth retention strategy, it isn't ideal otherwise. :)

YVK
03-16-2011, 10:57 PM
Shooting without gloves...

....is really not an option for HK P7M8 users.

My M8 so far is my highest round count pistol, I've done a ton of shooting with gloves. In addition, I always use gloves in carbine classes, and all transition drills are also shot in gloves.
As Todd said, it all depends on gloves. Now discontinued Ventilator gloves by Southwest Motorsport/Camelbak have been my overall favorites, with good protection and excellent tactile feedback, but no water resistance or features aiding in pistol control. Hatch Operators are reasonable. Oakley's are well regarded; I found them to be crap. I am now looking at some Outdoors Research offerings, but the price is somewhat beyond my ability to rationalize it.

As long as gloves have good tactile properties, I don't see this as a big issue at all.

Kyle Reese
03-16-2011, 11:33 PM
I have a few pairs of the Vickers Tactical gauntlet style gloves. I pretty much shoot carbine exclusively with gloves now, and if greater tactile contact with the trigger is needed (precision shots with a MK 12 SPR, etc), you can always cut the index finger portion of the glove.

As others have stated, mechanic gloves certainly work in a pinch as well.

Forgetting one's gloves prior to attending a carbine class in NC gave me a new appreciation for them, let me tell you.

JohnN
03-16-2011, 11:38 PM
Shooting without gloves...

....is really not an option for HK P7M8 users.

My M8 so far is my highest round count pistol, I've done a ton of shooting with gloves. In addition, I always use gloves in carbine classes, and all transition drills are also shot in gloves.
As Todd said, it all depends on gloves. Now discontinued Ventilator gloves by Southwest Motorsport/Camelbak have been my overall favorites, with good protection and excellent tactile feedback, but no water resistance or features aiding in pistol control. Hatch Operators are reasonable. Oakley's are well regarded; I found them to be crap. I am now looking at some Outdoors Research offerings, but the price is somewhat beyond my ability to rationalize it.

As long as gloves have good tactile properties, I don't see this as a big issue at all.

Yeah, I latched on to a few pairs of the Vents when Sierra Trading Post was selling them for $9.95@ a year or so ago. They are great warm weather gloves.

I also had good luck with the Hatch Shorty operator gloves with respect to feel but not very durable.

YVK
03-16-2011, 11:40 PM
you can always cut the index finger portion of the glove.

I think one of our SMEs had a problem with that, although my memory could be failing me and I may be wrong.

DocGKR
03-16-2011, 11:52 PM
No, you don't want to do that if you can avoid it--I've definitely had a problem with cut gloves...twice.

Kyle Reese
03-16-2011, 11:56 PM
I stand corrected. :)

jslaker
03-17-2011, 12:00 AM
No, you don't want to do that if you can avoid it--I've definitely had a problem with cut gloves...twice.

Genuinely curious about the why of this.

Also, glad I love in a climate zone where gloves aren't necessary.

Frank B
03-17-2011, 05:35 AM
I had fairly good experiences with Hatch Operator Gloves. Of course, I donīt shoot very often with the gloves, but at a rifle class with an AK 47, gloves are mandatory.

DocGKR
03-17-2011, 11:02 AM
At a Pat Rogers carbine class held at a nearby LE agency, we were shooting quite a bit; as I went to take the safety off of my AR15, the edge of the cut thumb on my glove wedged itself under the safety lever and prevented the safety from rotating into the off position, leaving me with a dead carbine and a "threat" in front of me. So I stopped using gloves with cut thumb tips.

Second time I had a problem with cut gloves was 2 years later at a Magpul Dynamics class--I thought I had learned my lesson, so no cut thumbs or other fingers on the gloves except a single cut trigger finger tip; unfortunately, this also eventually caused a problem. We were shooting around vehicles in some strange positions; after firing a few shots I began to move my trigger finger off the trigger, but the gun went "bang" when I did not expect it to. The cut edge of the glove trigger finger had wrapped up around the trigger and as I pulled my hand away, the trigger was activated resulting in an ND--fortunately it was pointed in a safe direction, so no harm, no foul.

As a result of these two experiences, I now only wear intact gloves without any fingertip cuts. The old style thin Nomex gloves are outstanding, leather batting gloves and horseback riding gloves also work well if flame resistance is not necessary.

Shooting with gloves is not primarily about cold temperatures--they protect hands from cuts, abrasions, and heat--think how warm metal gets when working in areas of the world with ambient afternoon summer temperatures are in the 100-130 degree range...

Jay Cunningham
03-17-2011, 11:11 AM
The old style thin Nomex gloves are outstanding, leather batting gloves and horseback riding gloves also work well if flame resistance is not necessary.

Yeah, if you don't lust after the latest "approved" fashion accessory, batting and golf gloves can work really well in this role. Goatskin if you can find it.

David Armstrong
03-17-2011, 11:12 AM
I discovered leather batting gloves about 20 years ago and have sworn by them ever since for shooting. Tight fit, excellent feel, comfortable and breatheable.

Odin Bravo One
03-17-2011, 12:20 PM
What JV said........

There have been literally hundreds of type of shooting and tactical gloves developed over the last several years. Many are "Official Issue" to our troops on the ground. Many have been developed by some heavy hitters in the shooting world. Many of them suck.

A good pair of snug fitting, breathable gloves that provide tactile dexterity are going to be helpful, and will not impede nearly as much as the Blackhawks, or the Oakley, or whatever HSLD brand is making.

I personlly like light weight, thin gloves, that fit very snug. Baseball and Golf gloves fall into that category, and I expect to replace my gloves every few serious uses so I keep the ones I know I like stocked up in advance. Mechanix made a pair that was about the perfect glove. Cheap enough it was semi-disposable, but fit like nothing else out there.......but of course, they stopped making it.

I shoot gloves off. I train gloves on. My hand touches my daily concealed carry pistol with bare hands. That is the place I will be in when I will need to use. Picking up an AR or AK, or other long gun, I will have them in gloved hands, as I was training to use these weapons with gloves as well.

Gloves are funky though. Find a pair you like, then cant find them again. Find a pair you kind of like, but wish they would done "XYZ".

vmi-mo
03-17-2011, 12:42 PM
Gloves are funky though. Find a pair you like, then cant find them again. Find a pair you kind of like, but wish they would done "XYZ".

Agree.

I originally found a pair of some motorcross gloves, made by camelbak. They were tits. I have only found one pair of them any where.

Then I went to aviator gloves. They worked. not ideal, but they worked.

Mechanix gloves were next. If I found my size they were very nice and cheap which is cool. Then I was told I couldnt wear them any more :confused: gayyyyyy

So then I tried oaklies. They were expensive and wore out kinda fast. But I looked cool.

Then I found another set of camelbak gloves. They are a light grey color. Cheap, work pretty well but talk about sticking out in the woods with bright hands.

So now I am back to just cheap aviators, or camelbak gloves for civillian side stuff.

Like Sean, when I shoot a pistol (concealed carry) I dont wear gloves. When I am training rifle, or just in the tree line. I wear gloves.

Also, as for cutting off fingers. I only cut them off once they have worn through and are just a flap. That is if I cant get a new pair.

PJ

ETA: I knew a guy who was using some sort of UA baseball or football gloves. He touched some open flame when we were doing something stupid. The gloves almost dissapeared off his hands and left some nasty burns. If you play with fire make sure your gloves can take it.

GJM
03-17-2011, 12:55 PM
Beyond dexterity, the flame resistance of nomex gloves is a major benefit to aviators, and surely is to shooters?

JHC
03-17-2011, 06:01 PM
I've tried a half dozen quality types of shooting gloves. I've found nothing any better than warm weather nomex aviator gloves. But all of them worked fine for rifle. For pistol, I shot well with them. But without them, I always shoot much better. I hate gloves for pistol shooting.

AHL
03-17-2011, 06:27 PM
I'm currently running Oakley's SI assault glove which are comfortable for me. As I read between the lines I think comfort is an important factor, along with lots of practice. To add to this discussion, I offer if you wear gloves while carrying in terms of concealed/duty carry, you have to practice shooting with the gloves. When violence comes to you it's going to be sudden and unexpected.

In terms of sport shooting, the gloves should make you look cool!

GJM
03-24-2011, 01:27 PM
Gosh, do I hate it when you actually use a timer. I decided to put my draw to a first shot, with and without my nomex flight gloves, on the PACT timer this morning. Despite my earlier pronouncement that gloves weren't a problem, the flight gloves consistently added .1-.2 to my first shot time. I shoot a lot with flight gloves, so familiarity isn't the issue -- but the gloves seem to slow me down in acquiring my initial grip. Others timed this?

win_nut
03-26-2011, 09:33 PM
I use a pair of Nike weight lifting gloves. I misplaced my regular shooting gloves and grabbed these out of my workout bag I had in the car. They have the fingers cut off and palms are well padded. They worked really well, except I find that it effects the position of my finger on the trigger. Its not a big deal with my P30 and P232, but it effects my USP40. I have a Hogue slip grip on the USP and I think the integral palm swell may be the culprit.

Oscar 319
03-26-2011, 09:59 PM
I had fairly good experiences with Hatch Operator Gloves. Of course, I donīt shoot very often with the gloves, but at a rifle class with an AK 47, gloves are mandatory.

http://www.ecoppolicesupply.biz/catalog/SOGL50.jpg

I have shot for years with these gloves, long gun and handgun. I don these gloves everytime I anticipate things going south. As such, I train 80-90% of the time with the gloves on. If deploying a weapon is a forethought (on duty of course), the gloves go on.

For me, they are an essential piece of gear that is replaced every 8-12 months. YMMV.

LeeC
12-20-2011, 08:47 AM
Any recommendations on the best glove for absorbing some recoil shock to the hands? I'm guessing that there is a trade off between more padding and loss of grip control. I'm shooting a Glock 19 with 115 gr ball ammo most of the time. Also wondering if any of the gloves recommended here might be worn over these thin gloves (http://www.amazon.com/DeluxeComfort-com-THERALL-ARTHRITIS-GLOVES/dp/B002QZYILE), which are good for circulation but pick up dirt way to fast to be worn while shooting. Or am I kidding myself and should start shopping for a .380? Maybe get the 25-round mags for my AA kit? :rolleyes:

The long story....

I have been dealing with carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) for about 12 years. Switching from a mouse to a track ball, plus wearing a glove with a splint got me out of the first major flare up, and unless I forget to include some stretching and breaks on 14 hour days at the keyboard, I'm generally not bothered by it too much.

About three years ago I started having other pains in both hands. My internist said it was beginning osteoarthritis. The pains came and went, and not that big of a deal for the most part.

I took up pistol shooting in earnest (100 - 300 rounds, 2-3 times per week) this year, and am now having trouble with frequent numbness, loss of sensation and pain in both hands but mainly my strong (right) hand, as well as up my arms and sometimes elbows. I suspected pinched nerve(s) and saw a chiropractor for the first time last week. After only one manipulation, the numbness in the morning is not as severe, so I have hopes that I'm moving in the right direction with chiropractic therapy.

Repetitive motion injury can be caused by a wide variety of activities (keyboarding, hammering nails, playing guitar, shooting guns). Driving nails in cold weather while building a wood shed is what sent me over the edge with CTS in 1999. The combination of repetition with impact was very painful, but I kept pushing to get the project finished. Took about 9 months to get back to "normal", i.e. didn't have to wear splinted gloves anymore. Now I have concerns that pounding my wrists with 200-900 recoils from a 9mm every week might be taking a toll on me. I don't have any pain specifically while shooting, and it doesn't seem to get much worse after shooting like it does after keyboarding too much without a break.

Sucks to grow old, but better than not being around to get old.

Lomshek
12-20-2011, 10:28 AM
Lee,

The best gloves you're going to find for recoil comfort are gel (or gel like) cycling gloves made by one of the big cycling companies (Specialized, Trek, etc.). They're offered in both short and long finger versions, have padding right where you want it, still offer lots of dexterity and can be had in various padding amounts. Any bicycle shop should be able to help you out. Avoid the cheaper walmart junk that tends to use third rate materials.

None of them offer flame resistance but are very comfortable.

theblacknight
12-20-2011, 04:53 PM
We are issued these and I really like them. They put oakleys to shame. I'm stockpiling pairs from friends with less active jobs and dont want them.
http://tacticalcombatgloves.com/products/Camelbak/Max%20Grip%20NT.jpg

LeeC
12-20-2011, 07:24 PM
Lee,

The best gloves you're going to find for recoil comfort are gel (or gel like) cycling gloves made by one of the big cycling companies (Specialized, Trek, etc.). They're offered in both short and long finger versions, have padding right where you want it, still offer lots of dexterity and can be had in various padding amounts. Any bicycle shop should be able to help you out. Avoid the cheaper walmart junk that tends to use third rate materials.

None of them offer flame resistance but are very comfortable.
There is a helpful bicycle shop I frequent that can help with this idea, which I hadn't thought of. Thanks!

We are issued these and I really like them. They put oakleys to shame. I'm stockpiling pairs from friends with less active jobs and dont want them.
http://tacticalcombatgloves.com/products/Camelbak/Max%20Grip%20NT.jpg
They look nice. Do you know the make and model?

Thanks,

Lee

peterb
12-21-2011, 09:32 AM
You also might look at industrial/safety suppliers for impact- or vibration-reducing gloves.

http://www.labsafety.com/search/gloves%2Bvibration%2Bimpact/

https://www.ironclad.com/products/product_detail.cqs?prod_id=f5e969f672356b24c1d272d ac2e6119c