PDA

View Full Version : Gone: “Gone With The Wind”

Det1397
06-10-2020, 07:56 AM
HBO drops Gone With The Wind due to racial overtones... https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/jun/10/gone-with-the-wind-dropped-from-hbo-max-over-depiction-of-slavery

Stephanie B
06-10-2020, 08:03 AM
HBO drops Gone With The Wind due to racial overtones... https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/jun/10/gone-with-the-wind-dropped-from-hbo-max-over-depiction-of-slavery

Not exactly. From the story:

HBO responded [to an LA Times article by John Ridley] with a statement, which said: “These racist depictions were wrong then and are wrong today, and we felt that to keep this title up without an explanation and a denouncement of those depictions would be irresponsible.”

The streaming service added that the film would return to the platform accompanied by “a discussion of its historical context and a denouncement of those very depictions”, but would remain unaltered “because to do otherwise would be the same as claiming these prejudices never existed”.

blues
06-10-2020, 08:10 AM
Frankly, Scarlett, I don't give a damn.

Okay, just kidding...but I never get to say that.

Is it censorship or simply HBO's choice?

Frankly, I'd prefer to make my own decisions than have some corporate exec make them for me.

What follows from this?

No movies where Italians are portrayed as mobsters?

No movies where Latinos are portrayed as narco-traffickers or gang members?

No movies where men prefer women?

No movies where Jews are portrayed as bad guys?

No movies where anyone from the LGBTQ+ community is portrayed as anything but a victim?

No movies where blacks aren't the protagonists?

Obviously, I'm exaggerating to make a point. But I suppose it can happen when someone gets to choose for us what can and can't be screened.

Lon
06-10-2020, 08:26 AM

I stopped giving a fuck about anything political coming from the movie and TV industry along time ago.

ccmdfd
06-10-2020, 08:34 AM
Frankly, Scarlett, I don't give a damn.

Okay, just kidding...but I never get to say that.

Is it censorship or simply HBO's choice?

Frankly, I'd prefer to make my own decisions than have some corporate exec make them for me.

What follows from this?

No movies where Italians are portrayed as mobsters?

No movies where Latinos are portrayed as narco-traffickers or gang members?

No movies where men prefer women?

No movies where Jews are portrayed as bad guys?

No movies where anyone from the LGBTQ+ community is portrayed as anything but a victim?

No movies where blacks aren't the protagonists?

Obviously, I'm exaggerating to make a point. But I suppose it can happen when someone gets to choose for us what can and can't be screened.

You forgot Arab terrorists.
Of course that's already been done with Sum of all Fears.

blues
06-10-2020, 08:42 AM

I forgot to add an asterisk that my list was not intended to be all inclusive. But yep...

Mntneer357
06-10-2020, 09:05 AM

Can we not have anything from the past anymore? Do we really need to remove all the things?? No, no you're right. Those who care better get your hard-copy of To Kill A Mockingbird now because at current course and speed, anything digital will be "edited for your safety and feelings." Glad I've got "Blazing Saddles" on DVD.

Meanwhile, people have absolutely no issue whatsoever with rap "songs" glorifying crime, murder, drugs, and belittling women as hoes and bitches. So are we censoring offensive things or nah??

ccmdfd
06-10-2020, 09:26 AM
Can we not have anything from the past anymore? Do we really need to remove all the things?? No, no you're right. Those who care better get your hard-copy of To Kill A Mockingbird now because at current course and speed, anything digital will be "edited for your safety and feelings." Glad I've got "Blazing Saddles" on DVD.

Meanwhile, people have absolutely no issue whatsoever with rap "songs" glorifying crime, murder, drugs, and belittling women as hoes and bitches. So are we censoring offensive things or nah??

Reminds me that I recently saw a top 10 countdown on YouTube of movies that could never be made again due to cultural changes. Blazing Saddles was #1.

Outrage is the new national pastime. It far, far surpasses football, baseball, NASCAR combined.

Heck if we could get the Olympics to create a game of it, the US would win Gold, Siver, and Bronze every year w/o difficulty.

Clusterfrack
06-10-2020, 09:43 AM
I remember watching that movie. It was excruciatingly boring and awful.

Glenn E. Meyer
06-10-2020, 09:46 AM
It's the free market. Don't pay for services you don't like. A private enterprise can put on what it wants. You can disagree with your dollars.

Mntneer357
06-10-2020, 09:49 AM
Outrage is the new national pastime. It far, far surpasses football, baseball, NASCAR combined.

Among *several* points killing my brain about this is the fact I grew up during the 80s and, to a lesser degree, the 90s. I remember artists going absolutely ape-shit when the Parents Music Resource Center started labeling CDs and/or had things altered because it was deemed offensive. In some places, you couldn't buy certain things without a parent, depending on your age. I thought censorship was wrong then, and I still do.

People have the ability to not participate. If you don't like the music, change the station or turn it off. Don't like the movie and you can change the channel. Hell, I'm not happy when the KKK or the Black Hebrew Israelites do their thing on the state house steps in my city. So, I don't go, watch or listen. But, not showing movies anymore because someone "says it's offensive"?? Cancel culture bullshit has got to go, NOW.

BehindBlueI's
06-10-2020, 09:50 AM

Keeping jobs from hard working Arabic actors.

(See, the cool thing is you get to be offended either way.)

LOKNLOD
06-10-2020, 10:00 AM
... was not intended to be all inclusive.

The greatest sin of all! Burn him!

blues
06-10-2020, 10:02 AM
I remember watching that movie. It was excruciatingly boring and awful.

Like classical music. ;)

Half Moon
06-10-2020, 10:03 AM
Among *several* points killing my brain about this is the fact I grew up during the 80s and, to a lesser degree, the 90s. I remember artists going absolutely ape-shit when the Parents Music Resource Center started labeling CDs and/or had things altered because it was deemed offensive. In some places, you couldn't buy certain things without a parent, depending on your age. I thought censorship was wrong then, and I still do.

People have the ability to not participate. If you don't like the music, change the station or turn it off. Don't like the movie and you can change the channel. Hell, I'm not happy when the KKK or the Black Hebrew Israelites do their thing on the state house steps in my city. So, I don't go, watch or listen. But, not showing movies anymore because someone "says it's offensive"?? Cancel culture bullshit has got to go, NOW.

PMRC apparently went big in Florida. I had a WTF moment when I was stationed in Orlando and got carded to buy Cherry Pie by Warrant (DON'T JUDGE ME!).

Still, in this case, it's a free market decision.

Clusterfrack
06-10-2020, 10:04 AM
Like classical music. ;)

Worse. Way worse. I just wanted a tornado to come and kill all the characters as soon as possible.

Glenn E. Meyer
06-10-2020, 10:04 AM
There are parts of classical music which are rousing and exciting. I had a student (smart kid, 800, 800s on the GREs) who was a classic violinist. I asked her if they got bored playing the slow parts and wanted to get to the exciting ones. She said yes, the other parts were just foreplay (so to speak).

blues
06-10-2020, 10:05 AM
Worse. Way worse. I just wanted a tornado to come and kill all the characters as soon as possible.

It was a hurricane. Hurricane Sherman

awp_101
06-10-2020, 11:29 AM
got carded to buy Cherry Pie by Warrant (DON'T JUDGE ME!)

There is some stuff you just don’t post on an open forum...

Half Moon
06-10-2020, 11:56 AM
There is some stuff you just don’t post on an open forum...

Say what you will, that album was like a cool drink of water, such a sweet surprise :-P

If it is at all redeeming, the second time I got carded to buy music in Florida it was for Megadeth's Rust in Peace album...

BobLoblaw
06-10-2020, 01:03 PM
I watched this in grade school. I don't know if there was a dry eye in the room because they were all closed.

RevolverRob
06-10-2020, 01:19 PM
It was a hurricane. Hurricane Sherman

Damn dude...too soon. :eek:

Balisong
06-10-2020, 03:10 PM
PMRC apparently went big in Florida. I had a WTF moment when I was stationed in Orlando and got carded to buy Cherry Pie by Warrant (DON'T JUDGE ME!).

Still, in this case, it's a free market decision.

Good song. Better music video.

cheby
06-10-2020, 04:01 PM
Cultural revolution in China's death toll was around 20 mil. We are not there yet but the direction is identical. If you think it will stop at you being woke, think again, sunshine. If you think it is all justified because the movie is boring, you deserve it
History education in USA is frightening.

blues
06-10-2020, 04:33 PM
Cultural revolution in China's death toll was around 20 mil. We are not there yet but the direction is identical. If you think it will stop at you being woke, think again, sunshine. If you think it is all justified because the movie is boring, you deserve it
History education in USA is frightening.

Okay cheby, you need to 'splain yourself more clearly. Are we going to be killed and swept aside because Clusterfrack thinks the movie was boring?

Or are we going to be killed because some folks have decided that despite the clarity of the actual statistics, the police are racist?

I'm really not sure from which side of the street you are bringing whatever conclusion you are drawing.

If "woke" means adhering to a party line as opposed to dealing with the truth, I'm clearly not woke. But I am willing to accept the truth. And I guess, the consequences thereof.

randyho
06-10-2020, 04:37 PM
Get these (https://www.amazon.com/F-Troop-Complete-Seasons-1-2/dp/B01M34P37D) while you can!

blues
06-10-2020, 04:39 PM
Get these (https://www.amazon.com/F-Troop-Complete-Seasons-1-2/dp/B01M34P37D) while you can!

https://youtu.be/k8qjxT1iIAM

Trooper224
06-10-2020, 06:06 PM
In terms of film making Gone with the Wind is a cinematic masterpiece. The lighting, framing, cinematography, etc. are all classic stuff. Clark Gable displayed a swagger that men in current Hollywood run from for fear of the SJW culture. There are many aspects of that movie that Hollywood has forgotten. The same can be said of Lawrence of Arabia and so many other old films.

That being said, there is an offensive nature to GWTW when it comes to race. It does portray black slaves as being happy, ignorant and childlike towards their so called "betters". As such, it's definitely a product of its time. I can totally understand why African Americans find it offensive. The book is even more so and is almost single handedly responsible for perpetuating the myths of the "Old South" that so many southerners still cling to. Those same reasons are why you never see Disney's Song of the South anymore. Based on the old Uncle Reemus stories, it features slaves as being happy, even grateful to their white owners. It's even more offensive than GWTW in that respect. All of that's a shame since it's a very historically significant film, being the first ever combination of cartoon animation and live actors. GWTW was one of those movies that used to be shown at least once a year on a prime time channel. My mother loved it and made a point of watching it every time. It's hardly shown on television anymore, when it is it's late at night, entirely due to it's negative racial overtones. It's not enough to have the freedom to simply turn the channel, apparently it will transmit racism cooties through the screen

I totally get why African Americans find these films distasteful, as I understand the desire to remove many Civil War monuments from public view. However, what I don't understand and am quite concerned over is the notion that these things are to be feared and the hostility that their very existence seems to generate. Don't like GWTW? Cool, then don't watch it. It's not as if you're woke before and then a blinding racist after watching it. Instead of using these things as historic talking points and turning them into teachable moments, it's as if we're expected to live in denial that they ever happened. HBO drops GWTW. Oh wow HBO, way to step out and really risk something by taking a stand. After all, I'm sure dumping GWTW is going to have a severe impact on your bottom line. People are just clamoring to tune in. Great way to appeal to the SJW crowd without hurting your profit share.

What's next on the thought control list Mr. Orwell? A patch of Blue, To Sir, with Love, Guess Who's coming to Dinner or In the Heat of the Night? How long is it going to be before we get reported by our streaming service for even watching these movies?

Caballoflaco
06-10-2020, 06:41 PM
Trooper224 slightly off topic, but I miss getting to read your movie reviews since the covids hit.

Baldanders
06-10-2020, 07:21 PM
In terms of film making Gone with the Wind is a cinematic masterpiece. The lighting, framing, cinematography, etc. are all classic stuff. Clark Gable displayed a swagger that men in current Hollywood run from for fear of the SJW culture. There are many aspects of that movie that Hollywood has forgotten. The same can be said of Lawrence of Arabia and so many other old films.

That being said, there is an offensive nature to GWTW when it comes to race. It does portray black slaves as being happy, ignorant and childlike towards their so called "betters". As such, it's definitely a product of its time. I can totally understand why African Americans find it offensive. The book is even more so and is almost single handedly responsible for perpetuating the myths of the "Old South" that so many southerners still cling to. Those same reasons are why you never see Disney's Song of the South anymore. Based on the old Uncle Reemus stories, it features slaves as being happy, even grateful to their white owners. It's even more offensive than GWTW in that respect. All of that's a shame since it's a very historically significant film, being the first ever combination of cartoon animation and live actors. GWTW was one of those movies that used to be shown at least once a year on a prime time channel. My mother loved it and made a point of watching it every time. It's hardly shown on television anymore, when it is it's late at night, entirely due to it's negative racial overtones. It's not enough to have the freedom to simply turn the channel, apparently it will transmit racism cooties through the screen

I totally get why African Americans find these films distasteful, as I understand the desire to remove many Civil War monuments from public view. However, what I don't understand and am quite concerned over is the notion that these things are to be feared and the hostility that their very existence seems to generate. Don't like GWTW? Cool, then don't watch it. It's not as if you're woke before and then a blinding racist after watching it. Instead of using these things as historic talking points and turning them into teachable moments, it's as if we're expected to live in denial that they ever happened. HBO drops GWTW. Oh wow HBO, way to step out and really risk something by taking a stand. After all, I'm sure dumping GWTW is going to have a severe impact on your bottom line. People are just clamoring to tune in. Great way to appeal to the SJW crowd without hurting your profit share.

What's next on the thought control list Mr. Orwell? A patch of Blue, To Sir, with Love, Guess Who's coming to Dinner or In the Heat of the Night? How long is it going to be before we get reported by our streaming service for even watching these movies?

The thing is beyond the questionable portrayal of the black folks, and the raid Rhett and his boys go on ( in Klan robes in the book), both the movie and the book were instrumental in selling the Lost Cause of the South to Northerners. Not in the same horrific way as Birth of a Nation ( which basically birthed the cosplaying 2nd Klan, and established the burning cross thing), but in a far more insidious way, making it look like plantation owners were King Arthur and his knights, performing chivalrous deeds. The film literally aided White supremacists by making a horrific atrocity seem domestic and gentle.

This movie certainly helped the oppression of black folks keep happening. If Triumph of the Will needs context, why not Gone?

This is hardly Orwellian "shoving it down the memory hole."

And that being said, I'd love to see Song of the South again. The live action parts are drivel, but Brer Rabbit is a badass.

At least Bashski's Streetfight is still available, I hope. (Original title Coonskin) Scatman Cruthers and Phillip Michael Thomas do Brer Rabbit in 20th Century Harlem. It lives up to the "this film offends everybody" billing.

BehindBlueI's
06-10-2020, 10:02 PM
I feel like the fact this is temporary seems to be getting lost. As Stephanie quoted from the article:

The streaming service added that the film would return to the platform accompanied by “a discussion of its historical context and a denouncement of those very depictions”, but would remain unaltered “because to do otherwise would be the same as claiming these prejudices never existed”.

It's not being destroyed and copies burned. It's being taken down temporarily and put into context.

willie
06-11-2020, 02:57 AM

My only famous relative is Cammie King who played the role of Bonnie Blue Butler. Her father and I are from the same rural area. Cammie's step father was one of the inventors of technicolor. That was her connection to Hollywood.

BehindBlueI's
06-24-2020, 10:21 PM
...and it's back: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/jun/25/gone-with-the-wind-returns-to-hbo-max-with-disclaimer-that-film-denies-the-horrors-of-slavery

Gone With The Wind has returned to the US streaming service HBO Max accompanied by a disclaimer saying the classic film “denies the horrors of slavery”.

Any bets it gets more views now then ever because the media reminded people it's a thing? Streisand effect or something like that?