PDA

View Full Version : Antimalware Service Executable

Darth_Uno
06-09-2020, 04:44 PM
How important is this, and how do I kill it. Google won't give me a straight answer. This is a resource hog on my work computer.

RJ
06-09-2020, 04:49 PM
Win10?

https://winaero.com/blog/kill-process-windows-10/

RJ
06-09-2020, 04:50 PM
Looks like more permanent fix here:

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/antimalware-service-executable-high-disk-usage-windows-10-8-7-solved/

Darth_Uno
06-09-2020, 04:58 PM
Win10?

https://winaero.com/blog/kill-process-windows-10/

Says I need admin access to kill it through Task Manager. I'm the only user so I don't see why I don't have admin access; I also don't know enough to bypass this.

Looks like more permanent fix here:

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/antimalware-service-executable-high-disk-usage-windows-10-8-7-solved/

On my computer there's no Windows Defender option to be found under 'Update & Settings'. Again, I don't know enough to find my way around this.

RJ
06-09-2020, 05:01 PM
Says I need admin access to kill it through Task Manager. I'm the only user so I don't see why I don't have admin access; I also don't know enough to bypass this.

My Windows 10 looks slightly different. Again, I don't know enough to find my way around this.

Ok, so if it's a "work computer", chances are slim you have Admin Rights. Most firms have an IT department, and they typically manage admin so that you need to enter admin credentials. The systems are set up so that they can manage policies remotely.

Is it possible you have a help desk you can complain or submit a trouble ticket to?

If not, you might be SOL for the moment.

Darth_Uno
06-09-2020, 05:08 PM
Ok, so if it's a "work computer", chances are slim you have Admin Rights. Most firms have an IT department, and they typically manage admin so that you need to enter admin credentials. The systems are set up so that they can manage policies remotely.

Is it possible you have a help desk you can complain or submit a trouble ticket to?

If not, you might be SOL for the moment.

Ha, no, "work computer" just means the computer at my office. I'm the only guy who ever owned it or used it.

I'll have to call someone smarter than me. It's just an annoyance. Lately this program has been running full blast.

rayrevolver
06-09-2020, 05:41 PM
I have sidelined my 17" Windows 10 laptop for these reasons. Things are running up the CPU and it takes forever to open up a damn browser window. Everything is up-to-date, no programs are running, yet the CPU is maxed out!?! Nuts.

Switched to a high-end chromebook called a Pixelbook which is a ginormous cellphone with a keyboard that looks like a laptop. I will only use the Windows machine for things like TurboTax and other programs that are not available to Chrome OS.

I have this:
https://www.amazon.com/Google-Pixelbook-GA00122-US-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B07MF4GQW6/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=pixelbook&qid=1591742092&s=electronics&sr=1-6

I traded a scope for it. Not sure I would have paid $1000 new or even that price for a refurb. Glad I have it though, its great for day-to-day and on travel. There is new Pixelbook Go that is cheaper but I don't know much about them.

Darth_Uno
06-09-2020, 05:59 PM
Honestly I use my iPad for everything unless I need Word or Excel. I know some Office functions are compatible with iOS to a degree, but some docs I need to be able to save and edit across more than one PC. And I have to share them with people who are far less tech-savvy than I, and you can already see where I'm at.

randyho
06-09-2020, 06:21 PM
Windows: Windows Defender has gone from relatively ineffective to... really good. How? With Windows 10, MS has so much more data than anyone else associated with windows could that they can actually be effective (WDATP is really good). You can't turn it off. Let it run. Do not use your 'puter as admin. Be happy.

Or, use linux (not running as admin). Or, respect apple's approach to privacy in spite of nearly all their crap being built by foxcomm. Or, use a chromebook and trust google who will not work with .gov but will work with the ccp. Regardless, update religiously.

RJ
06-09-2020, 07:36 PM
Ha, no, "work computer" just means the computer at my office. I'm the only guy who ever owned it or used it.

I'll have to call someone smarter than me. It's just an annoyance. Lately this program has been running full blast.

Mrs. RJ has a W10 box, I’ll try and take a look at the anti malware processes running tomorrow if I get a chance. If I find a way to adjust the settings to lower the CPU, I’ll let ya know.

My primary box is a Dell 6530 I bought surplus from work. I imaged it with Linux Mint Tara because of not wanting to put up with Window$ bull hockey after 30 years of corporate use. I love Linux.

5pins
06-10-2020, 09:10 AM
If you go to your control panel and then user accounts you should see what accounts you have. My guess is that it's set for standard user. There should be an option to switch to administrator.

RJ
06-10-2020, 09:29 AM
Mrs. RJ has a W10 box, I’ll try and take a look at the anti malware processes running tomorrow if I get a chance. If I find a way to adjust the settings to lower the CPU, I’ll let ya know.

My primary box is a Dell 6530 I bought surplus from work. I imaged it with Linux Mint Tara because of not wanting to put up with Window$ bull hockey after 30 years of corporate use. I love Linux.

I was able to go onto my wife's HP laptop this morning and execute the "step 1" of the procedure recommended in this thread:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/antimalware-service-executable-hogging-up-a-lot-of/bcb89859-17be-4701-a938-ad5e7ac96351

Cliffs:

Press Windows key + R, to open Run dialog box.
Type taskschd.msc and click on OK.

Now expand Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows

Select Windows Defender and on the right hand pane double-click on Windows Defender Scheduled Scan.

Under General tab, uncheck the box next to Run with highest privileges.

Select Conditions tab, uncheck all the items and click on OK.

Naturally, my wife's account on her HP is "admin". :cool: