PDA

View Full Version : And in today’s new political correctness news; Fudd and Sam no longer have guns

ccmdfd
06-09-2020, 08:18 AM
But it’s still ok to drop an anvil on someone’s head.

https://www.wwaytv3.com/2020/06/09/new-looney-tunes-cartoons-take-away-elmer-fudds-rifle

NEW ‘LOONEY TUNES CARTOONS’ TAKE AWAY ELMER FUDD’S RIFLE
By CBS News -June 9, 2020 4:05 AM0

Looney Tunes characters no longer have guns. (Photo: Warner Media)
(CBS News) — Elmer Fudd is still hunting wabbits, just without his signature firearm in the new series “Looney Tunes Cartoons” on the recently-launched streaming platform HBO Max. In fact, the new series won’t feature guns at all.

“We’re not doing guns,” Peter Browngardt, the executive producer and showrunner of the series, told the New York Times in a recent interview. “But we can do cartoony violence — TNT, the Acme stuff. All that was kind of grandfathered in.”

Yosemite Sam will also lose his iconic double pistols in the series. Neither Browngardt nor WarnerMedia, HBO Max’s parent company, have explicitly stated the reason for the decision to drop guns from the series.

So, while guns may be out, the campy violence fans have grown to love — including dynamite explosions, anvils dropping on characters’ heads and complex booby traps — is still part of the new series, according to the Times.

Last summer, Warner Bros. TV released a short on its YouTube channel titled, “Dynamite Dance,” which appeared to be from the new series. The cartoon shows Fudd chasing his nemesis Bugs Bunny with a scythe before the rabbit puts a stick of lit dynamite in the hunter’s mouth. The 90-second clip features many sticks of dynamite and a plethora of massive explosions as Bugs Bunny blows up Fudd in multiple creative ways, all set to Amilcare Ponchielli’s “Dance of the Hours.”

Related Article: Steven Avery’s appeal on grounds of handling of bone evidence denied
While there does appear to be plenty of violence in the new series, some “Looney Tunes” fans were less than pleased with the announcement.

“Elmer fudd without his gun, is like yosemite sam without his moustache,” wrote Twitter user @Alien_McQueen on Sunday.

Other fans appeared to support the decision. “I can’t believe this needs to be said, but Yosemite Sam and Elmer Fudd were never responsible gun owners anyway,” tweeted Dr. Jacqueline Antonovich, a historian and assistant professor at Muhlenberg College.

The new “Looney Tunes Cartoons” series is comprised of 80 episodes, each 11 minutes long, made up of animated shorts that include “adapted storylines for today’s audience,” according to an April press release from HBO Max.

The streaming platform launched May 27. HBO Max boasts a substantial library of other brand new titles, as well as 10,000 hours of “premium content,” according to the press release.

WarnerMedia did not immediately respond to a CBS News request for comment.

LittleLebowski
06-09-2020, 08:19 AM
My kids love the old school, golden age Loony Tunes. We won’t be watching the new PC stuff.

FrankinCA
06-09-2020, 08:44 AM
That actually happened a few times (taking firearms away) .back in early 2000’s. Also, Sylvester no longer has a lisp and Porky no longer stammers.

DC_P
06-09-2020, 08:49 AM
So lame. The old ones were fantastic.

I remember years ago they stopped showing Wile Coyote trying his inventions to capture the Road Runner and falling off the cliff as it was deemed too violent. I can't believe eliminating those from the delicate young viewers did not prevent the looting and rioting of the last two weeks...

blues
06-09-2020, 09:01 AM
https://youtu.be/rTJVclgwS5g

Trooper224
06-09-2020, 09:02 AM
This just in: Elmer Fudd has elected to undergo gender reassignment surgery and will now go by the name Elamina Fierce. In order to avoid any unpleasant micro aggressions, she will be ditching the plaid hunting coat that reeks of toxic masculinity. The garment will be replaced by a fuchsia Versace slip dress.

Yosemite Sam, wishing to portray a more nonbinary and intersectional personal truth, will now simply go by the name "Yo".

blues
06-09-2020, 09:07 AM
This just in: Elmer Fudd has elected to undergo gender reassignment surgery and will now go by the name Elamina Fierce. In order to avoid any unpleasant micro aggressions, she will be ditching the plaid hunting coat that reeks of toxic masculinity. The garment will be replaced by a fuchsia Versace slip dress.

Yosemite Sam, wishing to portray a more nonbinary and intersectional personal truth, will now simply go by the name "Yo".

Porky Pig has succumbed to peer pressure and will hereafter be wearing lipstick...

...and while he's it's at it, for good measure, flying.

Trooper224
06-09-2020, 09:18 AM
Porky Pig has succumbed to peer pressure and will hereafter be wearing lipstick...

...and while he's it's at it, for good measure, flying.

Porky Pig just announced a change of name status. After living so long with a name that promotes bullying and shaming towards those with unhealthy body images, PP will now be known only by an unprounounceable symbol. The artist formerly known as Pig will also forthwith only respond to the pronouns "we", "us" and "them".

Chance
06-09-2020, 09:30 AM
That's unfortunate, but par for the course these days. I'm not really sure Yosemite Sam makes any sense as a character without impotently waving guns around, but maybe I'm thinking too hard.

Some of those older cartoons are pretty violent though, especially 'Tom and Jerry'. You don't think much of it as a kid, but you watch them now and it's like, "That's a very specific injury...".

BobLoblaw
06-09-2020, 09:39 AM
I doubt anyone even knew they were making new looney tunes until now.

BehindBlueI's
06-09-2020, 09:43 AM

I'm pretty sure Bugs has just been looking for an excuse all this time:

https://animalrevista.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/bugs-bunny-drag-queen.jpg

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/looneytunes/images/e/e3/Hillbilly_Hare_Square_Dance_1080p_SS.png/revision/latest?cb=20170122223313

Glenn E. Meyer
06-09-2020, 09:43 AM
I note that Elmer alternates between single and double barrel shotguns. Thus, they are approved by Joe Biden. Please bring that up.

Clusterfrack
06-09-2020, 09:46 AM
I hated Loony Tunes as a kid, and still do. So other than being annoyed by the anti-gun aspect, this isn't a problem for me.

Coal Train
06-09-2020, 09:50 AM
NEW ‘LOONEY TUNES CARTOONS’ TAKE AWAY ELMER FUDD’S RIFLE

I never knew he had a rifle. Does he get to keep his shotgun?

Glenn E. Meyer
06-09-2020, 10:10 AM
One of the best things Looney Tunes did was introduce kids to great classical music. Hope they do that again.

Clusterfrack
06-09-2020, 10:30 AM
One of the best things Looney Tunes did was introduce kids to great classical music. Hope they do that again.

Is that why I don’t like classical music?

blues
06-09-2020, 10:37 AM
Is that why I don’t like classical music?

No, it's because Glenn said it. ;)

Totem Polar
06-09-2020, 10:50 AM
This thread is golden.

And, that new cartoon clip is a bunch of ADD bullshit. Not because Fudd is missing his shotgun and getting his sharps fetish on, but because it’s just poorly done noise and edit. A brain myelinated for that nonsense is a brain lost.

Although, I do admit the clip as further evidence that the unhinged will just turn to improvised edged weapons and explosives if guns are banned, so there is that.

Darth_Uno
06-09-2020, 10:57 AM
I doubt anyone even knew they were making new looney tunes until now.

Well no, but now that I do know I'm outraged.

HCountyGuy
06-09-2020, 10:57 AM
I note that Elmer alternates between single and double barrel shotguns. Thus, they are approved by Joe Biden. Please bring that up.

This is the point I’ve been bringing up. I mean c’mon these are the most acceptable firearms (shotguns and revolvers) to the PC crowd and even Uncle Joe recommends (doing stupid things with) a shotgun. And yet they’re still getting nuked? Dubya Tee Eff!

But apparently things will be getting a bit more risqué and they’re still keeping up with the hijinks of Acme products like
certain explosives. Where’s the compassion for those killed in bombings?

Leave the Looney Toons alone. It’s bad enough they’re doing another Space Jam with LeBron.

Wondering Beard
06-09-2020, 11:21 AM
Even Ghandi is getting cancelled: Gandhi Is Deeply Revered, But His Attitudes On Race And Sex Are Under Scrutiny (https://www.npr.org/2019/10/02/766083651/gandhi-is-deeply-revered-but-his-attitudes-on-race-and-sex-are-under-scrutiny)

Totem Polar
06-09-2020, 11:31 AM
Even Ghandi is getting cancelled: Gandhi Is Deeply Revered, But His Attitudes On Race And Sex Are Under Scrutiny (https://www.npr.org/2019/10/02/766083651/gandhi-is-deeply-revered-but-his-attitudes-on-race-and-sex-are-under-scrutiny)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfvLcozLwtE

JRB
06-09-2020, 11:50 AM
{Sarcasm/
I wonder when the UK's anti-knife people will demand the removal of blades from it, and when veterans injured by IED's can rally together to remove those icky triggering depictions of explosions too.
/Sarcasm}

Seriously, unbelievably stupid and pandering. Sadly I don't see a way to actually hit these idiots in the bank account enough to change their minds.

BehindBlueI's
06-09-2020, 11:51 AM

He'll nuke your ass in Civilization 5.

Robert Mitchum
06-12-2020, 11:37 PM
The owner is a good dude.

DC_P
06-13-2020, 08:50 AM
The take away from this is Warner Brothers has no problem with violence, as long as it does not involve guns. I expect high school scythe attacks to become common in 10 years or so. At least the families will know who to sue, since clearly it would not be the perpetrator's fault.

blues
06-13-2020, 08:55 AM
When scythes are outlawed, only outlaws will have scythes.

(Hope nobody saw me using mine out in the yards yesterday.)

ccmdfd
06-13-2020, 09:08 AM
When scythes are outlawed, only outlaws will have scythes.

(Hope nobody saw me using mine out in the yards yesterday.)

Time to get in on the ground floor of a new exciting business opportunity, assault scythes!

Make em black, with perhaps desert tan. Add some RDS and/or laser sights. Mlock rails.

Sell like hotcakes!

Joe S
06-13-2020, 09:19 AM
Time to get in on the ground floor of a new exciting business opportunity, assault scythes!

Make em black, with perhaps desert tan. Add some RDS and/or laser sights. Mlock rails.

Sell like hotcakes!

Ooh, someone invent a spare blade holder so we can have high capacity scythes!

Greg
06-13-2020, 09:40 AM

IT’s MA’AM!!!

Looney Toons and Popeye cartoons went down the shitter after the 1940s.

blues
06-13-2020, 09:54 AM
It's THEY!

Wondering Beard
06-14-2020, 04:10 PM

And here I thought it was going to be another one of those silly things: Protesters demand removal of Mahatma Gandhi statue in England (https://nypost.com/2020/06/13/protesters-demand-removal-of-mahatma-gandhi-statue-in-england/)

"Activists in Britain are demanding the removal of a statue of Mahatma Gandhi in the city of Leicester. A petition to remove the Indian independence leader, which calls him out for “well-documented anti-black racism,” has nearly 5,000 signatures, the BBC reported."

blues
06-14-2020, 04:23 PM
And here I thought it was going to be another one of those silly things: Protesters demand removal of Mahatma Gandhi statue in England (https://nypost.com/2020/06/13/protesters-demand-removal-of-mahatma-gandhi-statue-in-england/)

"Activists in Britain are demanding the removal of a statue of Mahatma Gandhi in the city of Leicester. A petition to remove the Indian independence leader, which calls him out for “well-documented anti-black racism,” has nearly 5,000 signatures, the BBC reported."

I knew that Ben Kingsley guy was up to no good...

"Sir" Ben, I mean...

Baldanders
06-14-2020, 05:07 PM
https://www.thedailybeast.com/seattles-capitol-hill-autonomous-zone-chaz-has-armed-guards

So we shall see. I see a culture war brewing on the left...between lefties.

LittleLebowski
06-14-2020, 07:12 PM
https://www.thedailybeast.com/seattles-capitol-hill-autonomous-zone-chaz-has-armed-guards

So we shall see. I see a culture war brewing on the left...between lefties.

Them having guns gets a yawn from me.

Baldanders
06-14-2020, 07:58 PM
Them having guns gets a yawn from me.

You don't think that helps our chances on further crappy laws?

What % of dems going pro-2a locks out new restrictions?

Perhaps I am too optimistic.

But "hearts and minds" is the real struggle, IMO.

ETA: I used the article you posted on the Dallas shooter to get young Black males to identify with the police.

Nothing is impossible.

Baldanders
06-14-2020, 08:10 PM
What I saw that was interesting in the article is that it was a leftist, in a mainstream left-leaning publication, laying out the reasons why the 2A = an essential freedom, that protects citizens from bad stuff.

How is that not a radical shift?

Baldanders
06-14-2020, 08:16 PM

Gandhi was a racist prick.

Seriously, no better than a Klansman. His arguments on equality in South Africa boil down to "we are awesome, and deserve to be treated like whites, not grouped with those subhuman blacks."

And his non-violence would have done little if a bunch of other Indians were willing to take the brunt of British violence.

And his opinions on how to overcome Hitler....a joke.

His image in the West is totally based on guilty White folks idealizing him.

willie
06-14-2020, 08:17 PM
I have two pet roadrunners that are a pair. They live and nest in my yard, and in this particular section I make a point to avoid approaching. They remind me of the old cartoons. These birds are primarily carnivores but will eat nuts if provided. Once a week I dump earthworms in a pile and then leave. The runners expect this and, if not indulged, will start clacking by rapidly beating their beaks together. The male polices my roof where he searches for lizards. They also eat snakes. I avoid staring or speaking to them and walk around as if I ignore their presence.

Baldanders
06-14-2020, 08:22 PM
I have two pet roadrunners that are a pair. They live and nest in my yard, and in this particular section I make a point to avoid approaching. They remind me of the old cartoons. These birds are primarily carnivores but will eat nuts if provided. Once a week I dump earthworms in a pile and then leave. The runners expect this and, if not indulged, will start clacking by rapidly beating their beaks together. The male polices my roof where he searches for lizards. They also eat snakes. I avoid staring or speaking to them and walk around as if I ignore their presence.

Why must you fill me wilh jealousy, Willie?

Maybe I need to learn how to appease my window-banging cardinal.

willie
06-14-2020, 08:33 PM

Let me jump up and hasten to say this before Blues beats me to it. Maybe he wants your worm!;)

Borderland
06-14-2020, 08:57 PM

Just feed the damn cardinals. It's not going to short your rent. :D

Baldanders
06-14-2020, 09:16 PM
Just feed the damn cardinals. It's not going to short your rent. :D

We do!

That asshole smacks the window while his brethren are happily gorging themselves.

At least he's down to twice a day max, down from a dozen.

BehindBlueI's
06-14-2020, 09:47 PM

Maybe he sees his reflection and thinks "that's that son of a bitch who hit me in the face earlier. And he's staring at me. What the fuck are you looking at? I'll show you!....*bonk*"

*short time later*

"There's that asshole AGAIN and he's staring at me AGAIN!! YOU WANNA GO MOTHERFUCKER? He's yelling at me! Fuck that guy, Imma gonna go smack him in his stupid face...*bonk*"

Baldanders
06-14-2020, 09:56 PM
Maybe he sees his reflection and thinks "that's that son of a bitch who hit me in the face earlier. And he's staring at me. What the fuck are you looking at? I'll show you!....*bonk*"

*short time later*

"There's that asshole AGAIN and he's staring at me AGAIN!! YOU WANNA GO MOTHERFUCKER? He's yelling at me! Fuck that guy, Imma gonna go smack him in his stupid face...*bonk*"

Goddamit, now I feel like I need to get anti-reflective coating on the window.

Thanks for turning this into me being neglectful 😉

ETA: It's like you're a vulture for feeling victimized.

Baldanders
06-14-2020, 10:09 PM
Let me jump up and hasten to say this before Blues beats me to it. Maybe he wants your worm!;)

Even Blues has standards, Willie.

But my worm does have shiny metal....

Whoops, that's knowledge I have sworn to keep to my sexual harrassment of the P-Fer formerly known as Miss Anthropist,

If this post is confusing to anyone, just go have a beer or a coffee or something and don't think too hard on it.

Trust me.

Shoresy
06-15-2020, 04:26 AM

*short time later*

Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him

Glenn E. Meyer
06-15-2020, 08:06 AM
To return to the topic. I recall they edited guns out of ET. Funny because Spielberg is supposedly some kind of gun guy. https://www.movieguide.org/news-articles/five-celebrities-didnt-know-pro-guns.html

However, seems like a Biden O/U guy.

ccmdfd
06-15-2020, 11:26 AM
To return to the topic. I recall they edited guns out of ET. Funny because Spielberg is supposedly some kind of gun guy.

I believe South Park made fun of that.

Never would have thought that Pitt and Jolie were enthusiasts though

OlongJohnson
06-15-2020, 11:41 AM
Pitt is a big time gun guy. Grew up country in OK, if I remember right. Rite of passage being given his first one by older male family, etc. Have heard him say he doesn't feel safe without one in the house.

Nothing to say about Jolie.