PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know someone that can make custom scales for knives?

mrozowjj
06-06-2020, 08:14 PM
I'm seriously considering buying a Rainier Knives Fastpak and perhaps an ESEE Izula but the problem I have with both is the scales that are an option aren't my cup of tea as they tend to be more squared off than I would like.

I love the size and weight of the Fastpak though so I was thinking that if I could get someone to make a nice set of carbon fiber or g10 scales for it or for the Izula it might be my ideal knife.

I've tried googling this but I got a ton of stores that make scales for specific knvies but no one that seems to be willing to make scales for a knife of my choice.

blues
06-06-2020, 08:23 PM
I'm seriously considering buying a Rainier Knives Fastpak and perhaps an ESEE Izula but the problem I have with both is the scales that are an option aren't my cup of tea as they tend to be more squared off than I would like.

I love the size and weight of the Fastpak though so I was thinking that if I could get someone to make a nice set of carbon fiber or g10 scales for it or for the Izula it might be my ideal knife.

I've tried googling this but I got a ton of stores that make scales for specific knvies but no one that seems to be willing to make scales for a knife of my choice.

If you're not a member of bladeforums.com, join with a free membership.

Post a request for suggestions in this forum:

https://www.bladeforums.com/forums/maintenance-tinkering-embellishment.794/

You won't be disappointed.

mrozowjj
06-06-2020, 08:34 PM
I'll give that a try. Thank you.

blues
06-06-2020, 08:35 PM
I'll give that a try. Thank you.

You're very welcome.

You'll get some good recommendations, I'm virtually certain of it. I'll look for your thread.

javemtr
06-07-2020, 03:28 AM
Not sure how complicated it will be because of international shipping, but Custom Scale Division is well known in the community for their quality work: www.cuscadi.de

mrozowjj
06-09-2020, 07:10 PM
I tried blade forums and so far no dice. I guess I'm SOL.

blues
06-09-2020, 07:17 PM
I tried blade forums and so far no dice. I guess I'm SOL.

I'm really sorry, man. I see suggestions all the time for custom work and various upgrades. I don't know why no one picked up the ball. They made a liar out of me.

Cookie Monster
06-09-2020, 10:05 PM
I have no knowledge of how to get where you want to go but if you have a bench vise, a cordless drill, and some files you could probably get where you want to go.

G10 might have some dust inhalation hazards but some wood scales could get you there too. Just a thought.

Duelist
06-09-2020, 10:10 PM
I’ve never had an Izula, but I can’t imagine scales for one are any harder than for any other knife. I’ve never worked with carbon fiber or G10, though. Just horn, antlers, and wood. A few micarta scales.

Something you don’t like about this one? desert tan micarta scales on Amazon. (https://www.amazon.com/ESEE-ESIZ2DT-BRK-Izula-II-DT/dp/B0064QDMJ0/ref=mp_s_a_1_2_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=izula&qid=1591758739&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzUk9KWjROUUdDUkNPJ mVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODE2Mzg5MjlaUzZUQUlXOE1JTyZlbmN yeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNzQ0MzE2MlNXS0JRS1JSNFJHOCZ3aWRnZ XROYW1lPXNwX3Bob25lX3NlYXJjaF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWN rUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl&th=1)

Joe S
06-10-2020, 06:51 AM
I have no knowledge of how to get where you want to go but if you have a bench vise, a cordless drill, and some files you could probably get where you want to go.

G10 might have some dust inhalation hazards but some wood scales could get you there too. Just a thought.

I second this, and add that any table and clamp will work good enough. The Izula is a good knife to try this on, also: the size is small, the shape is not tricky. Some careful dremel work will make it go even quicker.

Duces Tecum
06-10-2020, 10:28 AM
I think blues offered the best approach. The below are simply Plans B and C.

You could visit http://www.americanbladesmith.com/ and look for the tabs. They are towards the top. Click "Bladesmiths" and then "Journeymen". A lot of journeymen are not fully employed knifesmiths and may be quite interested in making (for them) a quick dollar.

As an alternative, try the "Schools" tab. Schools have students whose work is monitored by their teachers, and (most) scale-making is not too complicated. It could be a Student Project.

Years ago I had two Cold Steel Voyagers (6" serrated blade, ~13" LOL) modified by a student gunsmith. The Emerson "wave" had just hit the market, and I asked the student to create something similar on each Voyager. He did a workmanlike job, and I used to carry them occasionally, one in each front pocket.

mrozowjj
06-13-2020, 04:18 PM
While I appreciate everyone saying I can just DIY and I actually have made handles myself in the past I don't have a shop or access to a shop. Wish that I did but I don't. I have no where to put all the tools I'd need even if it did make sense to buy them all just for this one project. And when working with something like G10 or carbon fiber I'd need a respirator which right now with the pandemic there is zero of those available.

DamonL
06-13-2020, 05:01 PM
These look nice for an Izula.

https://theknifeconnection.com/esee-izula/

Exiledviking
06-14-2020, 01:46 AM
It may not be cheap but I believe Micah Sonntag should be able to help you out. Find him on Instagram or FB under MS Custom Knives.
A really nice guy that makes great knives and does customizations too plus sharpening.

mrozowjj
06-15-2020, 12:38 AM
These look nice for an Izula.

https://theknifeconnection.com/esee-izula/

I looked into those but they weigh slightly more than the knife itself effectively doubling the weight. I know a 4.2oz knife doesn't sound heavy but when you wanted a 2oz knife and you suddenly have a 4oz knife it's much less appealing to me.

It may not be cheap but I believe Micah Sonntag should be able to help you out. Find him on Instagram or FB under MS Custom Knives.
A really nice guy that makes great knives and does customizations too plus sharpening.

I messaged him and he doesn't make scales apparently.

Also rant mode: I cannot express how much I hate that some of these custom knife maker and other gear guys only have contact via Instagram. Like just give people your email. I don't use Instagram but I had to make an account to message someone years ago and I still resent that I had to make a social media account just to contact someone. It's annoying because I know you have an email address because you need it to sign up for Instagram so why are you using a vastly inferior communication method? Might as well give me your fax number while we're at it.

blues
06-15-2020, 07:52 AM
Also rant mode: I cannot express how much I hate that some of these custom knife maker and other gear guys only have contact via Instagram. Like just give people your email. I don't use Instagram but I had to make an account to message someone years ago and I still resent that I had to make a social media account just to contact someone. It's annoying because I know you have an email address because you need it to sign up for Instagram so why are you using a vastly inferior communication method? Might as well give me your fax number while we're at it.

I agree with you. I can think of a few fine makers who have moved the bulk, (if not all), of their business and contacts to social media...but if I can't reach them via the old fashioned email route or a phone, I just move on.

It's unfortunate but I'm not opening accounts with fb, instagram, twitter or whatever the f^^k, simply to find a way to contact and place an order. If that makes me a Luddite, so be it.

I'm disappointed you haven't been able to find someone to answer the bell. I was certain you'd get a quick response. So much for being certain.

Joe S
06-15-2020, 07:59 AM
I agree with you. I can think of a few fine makers who have moved the bulk, (if not all), of their business and contacts to social media...but if I can't reach them via the old fashioned email route or a phone, I just move on.

It's unfortunate but I'm not opening accounts with fb, instagram, twitter or whatever the f^^k, simply to find a way to contact and place an order. If that makes me a Luddite, so be it.

I'm disappointed you haven't been able to find someone to answer the bell. I was certain you'd get a quick response. So much for being certain.

Agreed on the Instagram and Facebook, which is an even more stupid platform, IMO.

The last part really chaps my ass, too. I thought for sure it would be easy. My last thought would be to maybe check over on the BushcraftUSA forums. Really good community there, a lot of smaller tinkerers and makers that might want to take it on. Barring that, a local machine shop or wood furniture maker or something, maybe.

Joe S
06-15-2020, 10:59 PM
mrozowjj , this might be worth checking out:

https://www.reddit.com/r/knifeclub/comments/ampy2x/shameless_plug_thread_for_the_sidebar_if_you/