PDA

View Full Version : HAK Hideaway Knife with Strider Grind RFI

wvincent
06-05-2020, 10:21 PM
Anyone with thoughts or experience on this knife? I think it fits into a narrow role, but I think it would do it well. Link and Pic below
https://hakknife.com/collections/knives/products/hideaway-hybrid-knife-s30v-polished

SeriousStudent
06-05-2020, 10:38 PM
I have a HAK. It works well for carry into an area that thinks it has good physical security, but in reality has holes.

Mine has passed though places that use a casual pat-down in combination with a wand metal detector.

I rarely carely mine anymore, but when I do, it's under a sports jacket lapel or taped inside a belt buckle.

I have a Ban Tang Ti Clinch Pick that has pretty much taken its place as a more versatile knife. Definitely a more expensive blade, but carried more often.

Hope that helps.

wvincent
06-05-2020, 10:50 PM
Sure does help SeriousStudent. I like the size, and the retention method seems like it would allow the hand to do multiple "activities" like operate a handheld light, open doors, use comms, change a magazine, etc, all while having a nice sharp little ripper ready to go.

The designer happens to mention our esteemed SouthNarc maybe having some input on the design, maybe he will care to comment.

As an aside, have you gone hands on with the LTT Compact yet?

SouthNarc
06-05-2020, 11:11 PM
“Cameron Casey”, the female sociopath that tapped into the talent pool at Self Defense Forums to design a blade for her specific needs, left quite the wake of destruction after fucking over a ton of great knife makers like Rob Simonich.

It’s a niche tool at best and I regret having any association with that company.

wvincent
06-05-2020, 11:27 PM
“Cameron Casey”, the female sociopath that tapped into the talent pool at Self Defense Forums to design a blade for her specific needs, left quite the wake of destruction after fucking over a ton of great knife makers like Rob Simonich.

It’s a niche tool at best and I regret having any association with that company.

Thanks for the input. That's all I need to hear. Gonna hard pass on this one.

rob_s
06-06-2020, 04:31 AM

I had one, and I recall the ordering process seemed to be that you had to measure your fingers, and then choose the style, and then some (pretty well known?) maker would turn one out for you. It doesn’t surprise me that that business model turned sour.

runcible
06-06-2020, 07:10 AM
The ripple-effect that follows each (re)emergence of HAK\Hak Knife\HAKK\whatever is always substantial, unwanted, and unhelpful. More so, the world has moved on from that sort of design; and even if it hadn't, I wouldn't touch the brand no matter who claims to have taken it over.

rob_s
06-06-2020, 08:21 AM
No idea if any of this is true, but here’s one version of events I googled up

http://themartialist.net/the-real-story-behind-the-hideaway-knife-and-artemis-defense-systems/

SAWBONES
06-06-2020, 10:49 AM
I still have my HAK, plus several differently-purposed kydex sheaths, bought "way back when" the young lady who called herself FrontSight was a member at a site I had some part in moderating, Park Cities Tactical (dedicated to lovers of the H&K P7).

She'd just begun the business as a start-up then, in the early 2000s IIRC.

It's a handy little "niche" blade, designed to be (almost universally) both accessible and concealable, albeit with an odd, less-than-optimal grip.

Sorry to hear of the falling-out and failure of the early business relations and practices.

Joe S
06-06-2020, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the input. That's all I need to hear. Gonna hard pass on this one.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Fred-Perrin-La-Griffe-Neck-Knife--17261

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Emerson-La-Griffe-Fixed-Blade-Neck--81514

I have both of these, and think they are both neat little blades, especially for the cost and price. I'm not sold on finger rings on knives except for very specific circumstances, but are worth a look.

Also, having personally corresponded with Fred, he is an amazing guy. Interesting, sharp as hell, and generous in spirit.

SouthNarc
06-06-2020, 01:12 PM
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Fred-Perrin-La-Griffe-Neck-Knife--17261

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Emerson-La-Griffe-Fixed-Blade-Neck--81514

I have both of these, and think they are both neat little blades, especially for the cost and price. I'm not sold on finger rings on knives except for very specific circumstances, but are worth a look.

Also, having personally corresponded with Fred, he is an amazing guy. Interesting, sharp as hell, and generous in spirit.

Fred is an awesome knife maker who I've had the pleasure of spending time with. Solid guy with solid skill.

blues
06-06-2020, 01:43 PM
Fred is an awesome knife maker who I've had the pleasure of spending time with. Solid guy with solid skill.

SouthNarc

Craig, did I ever tell you how Fred was responsible for IA opening a case on me?

BillSWPA
06-06-2020, 01:50 PM
I did not get around to buying a HAK when they were getting started, but in some ways wish I had.

The original concept was a knife which could hide behind a typical employee ID/building RFID card on a card holder, as well as to remain in the user's hands if they get knocked down in a fight. I think it accomplished that purpose well. The makers also put far, far more thought into sheaths and carry methods than the vast majority of other knife makers. The carry system is often more important than the knife itself in the overall usefulness of the package.

It is disappointing that the business had the logistics and customer service issues it had. From reading the article linked above, it seems that many of the problems could have been avoided by better communication between the partners. Given the growth of the business and volume of sales, it would seem that hiring someone to handle customer communication would have solved a lot of problems while freeing up the partners to focus on the logistics.

SouthNarc
06-06-2020, 01:57 PM
SouthNarc

Craig, did I ever tell you how Fred was responsible for IA opening a case on me?

No! Do tell?

blues
06-06-2020, 02:11 PM
No! Do tell?

I think it was a year or two after I visited Fred in Paris in 1999. He was going to come to the Blade Show and wanted to bring a balisong he had made for "demonstration purposes".

I'd advised him that it was technically a violation to import them into the U.S. at the time and that his best bet was to get some sort of dispensation in advance.

Anyway, he planned on visiting with Jimmy Fikes down in AL and then making his way to Atlanta for the show. His flight took him from Paris and routed through Detroit where he was to connect for a domestic flight to AL.

Some bonehead Inspector up there becomes aware of the balisong and tells him that it's a no-no blah blah blah. So, Fred, in his infinite wisdom, whips out my business card and asks if the Inspector can contact me or something to resolve the matter.

The Inspector calls Internal Affairs and reports me for suspicion of illegally importing balisong knives into the U.S. Mind you, this is one knife.

Next thing I know, and first I've heard of it, I'm summoned to IA where I'm read my rights, (which I waive), and put under oath to answer questions about this so-called importation.

I tell them that yes, I know Fred, he's a friend and a knife maker and that I'd advised him of the import laws regarding the knife.

Then I ask the two geniuses whether anyone bothered to speak to Fred and ask him if I was in cahoots with him in this giant criminal scheme.

They tell me they hadn't. I said, well, then I guess you know what you need to do and left.

A few weeks later I got a letter that the matter was being dropped.

I never let Fred hear the end of it later on. Especially during the 10 hour drive from South FL to the Blade Show I made with him and Laci Szabo the following year.

What a character.

SouthNarc
06-06-2020, 02:43 PM
I think it was a year or two after I visited Fred in Paris in 1999. He was going to come to the Blade Show and wanted to bring a balisong he had made for "demonstration purposes".

I'd advised him that it was technically a violation to import them into the U.S. at the time and that his best bet was to get some sort of dispensation in advance.

Anyway, he planned on visiting with Jimmy Fikes down in AL and then making his way to Atlanta for the show. His flight took him from Paris and routed through Detroit where he was to connect for a domestic flight to AL.

Some bonehead Inspector up there becomes aware of the balisong and tells him that it's a no-no blah blah blah. So, Fred, in his infinite wisdom, whips out my business card and asks if the Inspector can contact me or something to resolve the matter.

The Inspector calls Internal Affairs and reports me for suspicion of illegally importing balisong knives into the U.S. Mind you, this is one knife.

Next thing I know, and first I've heard of it, I'm summoned to IA where I'm read my rights, (which I waive), and put under oath to answer questions about this so-called importation.

I tell them that yes, I know Fred, he's a friend and a knife maker and that I'd advised him of the import laws regarding the knife.

Then I ask the two geniuses whether anyone bothered to speak to Fred and ask him if I was in cahoots with him in this giant criminal scheme.

They tell me they hadn't. I said, well, then I guess you know what you need to do and left.

A few weeks later I got a letter that the matter was being dropped.

I never let Fred hear the end of it later on. Especially during the 10 hour drive from South FL to the Blade Show I made with him and Laci Szabo the following year.

What a character.

That is an AWESOME story!

blues
06-06-2020, 02:47 PM
That is an AWESOME story!

It was a lot funnier after the fact. ;)

SeriousStudent
06-07-2020, 12:59 PM

Holy sheepshit! :eek:

I had no idea of that information. I got it as a gift from someone who owed me a significant favor.

blues
06-07-2020, 01:20 PM

SouthNarc

I somehow missed this post. Rob was a dear friend of ours. We spent many a night drinking and carousing at the Blade Show and my wife and I were guests at his home in Montana when we took a motorcycle ride up there to stay with him for a few days. I've got a ton of Rob Simonich stories that still make me laugh out loud.

I've never quite got over his death. I was planning to spend a lot more time with him after retirement.

He gifted this to me the weekend we stayed with him. I thought he was making it for a customer. The blue bone should have been a give away.

SeriousStudent
06-07-2020, 01:31 PM

As an aside, have you gone hands on with the LTT Compact yet?

Oh yes. I ran it in two range test sessions, with a variety of ammo. I used both the Beretta 13-rounders and the Mec-Gar 15 rounders. I also used a Beretta 15-round sand-resistant mag with the grip extender doodad. All ammo was tested with a pair of each mag type. Mags are new test mags that have never been dropped or subjected to feedlip damage - they are reserved strictly for initial testing. I use 100 rounds of each ammo type.

American Eagle 150-grain Syntech

Speer 124-grain +P Gold Dot

Speer 147-grain Gold Dot

Federal 147-grain HST

Hornady 135-grain +P Critical Duty

Federal 115-grain +P+ BPLE

Magtech 115-grain FMJ

Magtech 124-grain FMJ

Speer Lawman 115-grain FMJ

Speer Lawman 147-grain FMJ

American Eagle 147-grain FMJ

I had no issues with any ammo or any mag. In short, this thing processes ammo like Rosie O'Donnell mows down a Chinese buffet.

I cleaned and relubed it, and shot it yesterday in a Palisades Training Group pistol class. Zero issues, and it is crazy accurate. At four yards, it will put ten rounds into a group the size of a 50-cent piece - all double action. And that's with me, a 60+ old dude who has arthritis and shakes like an epileptic dog in a thunderstorm.

You can ask Jackdog, DB or Wayne Dobbs how bad my hands shake. In Wayne's words: "That pistol makes you look like you know what you are doing". :cool:

A very large tip of the hat to Ernest, Aimee and Jonah at @Langdon Tactical. The gun is uber reliable, crazy accurate, and a solid deal for what it cost. I snagged the 92X no-rail Compact with NP3 internals and the full-boat package.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wALArd2rvo

SeriousStudent
06-07-2020, 01:32 PM
SouthNarc

I somehow missed this post. Rob was a dear friend of ours. We spent many a night drinking and carousing at the Blade Show and my wife and I were guests at his home in Montana when we took a motorcycle ride up there to stay with him for a few days. I've got a ton of Rob Simonich stories that still make me laugh out loud.

I've never quite got over his death. I was planning to spend a lot more time with him after retirement.

He gifted this to me the weekend we stayed with him. I thought he was making it for a customer. The blue bone should have been a give away.

Those Talonite knives are incredible.

blues
06-07-2020, 01:40 PM
Those Talonite knives are incredible.

Thanks, brother. They'll go to the grave with me.

I've got two or three.

And one in D2.

Joe S
06-07-2020, 04:58 PM
Total aside, but for anyone not around for the 2nd wave of online knife nuttery (first was Usenet, second was web based forums), Mr. Simonich really was very prominent, always giving of his time and knowledge and a true craftsman. I didn't know him personally, but he really changed the knife world for the better, helping to pioneer and popularize niche knife steels (Talonite), mid-tech production (the very idea and practice of it), embracing the best of new technology, while holding true to core principles, that knives should actually cut well, and be comfy to hold, unlike so many "tactical" knives that were so popular then.

They don't make many like that gent. Sorry for your loss, blues .

blues
06-07-2020, 05:15 PM
Total aside, but for anyone not around for the 2nd wave of online knife nuttery (first was Usenet, second was web based forums), Mr. Simonich really was very prominent, always giving of his time and knowledge and a true craftsman. I didn't know him personally, but he really changed the knife world for the better, helping to pioneer and popularize niche knife steels (Talonite), mid-tech production (the very idea and practice of it), embracing the best of new technology, while holding true to core principles, that knives should actually cut well, and be comfy to hold, unlike so many "tactical" knives that were so popular then.

They don't make many like that gent. Sorry for your loss, blues .

Thank you, Joe. That's very true and very kind.

He was one of several makers that I have the honor of having had a special relationship with. Kit Carson, Ken Erickson, Jerry Halfrich are a few others. Though they were much better behaved than Rob and I when we got together.

And when Jeff Randall and Mike Perrin were in the mix, it was sure to end up in mayhem. I can't tell you how much we laughed until we about cried. (When we weren't dodging donnybrooks.)

I go back to the usenet days myself, on my old Packard-Bell Windows 3.1 machine. And bladeforums when Mike Turber owned it before Spark. And a few other forums as well.

It's been a long strange trip...with more than a few ups and downs along the way.

Blades
06-07-2020, 08:08 PM

He was one of several makers that I have the honor of having had a special relationship with. Kit Carson, Ken Erickson, Jerry Halfrich are a few others. Though they were much better behaved than Rob and I when we got together.

And when Jeff Randall and Mike Perrin were in the mix, it was sure to end up in mayhem. I can't tell you how much we laughed until we about cried. (When we weren't dodging donnybrooks.)

I go back to the usenet days myself, on my old Packard-Bell Windows 3.1 machine. And bladeforums when Mike Turber owned it before Spark. And a few other forums as well.

It's been a long strange trip...with more than a few ups and downs along the way.

The good ol'days.
Definitely a long strange trip, definitely.

theJanitor
06-08-2020, 06:23 PM

I did not know this either. I bought mine used, with a sheath made by Ken Brock. It's a comfort knife for me.

You can damn near hide it between the tail end of most tactical belts. Apply velcro to both sides of the sheath and sandwich it between the belt layers

RevolverRob
06-08-2020, 11:36 PM
I bought a HAK years and years ago - in the original iteration, a Utilihak. (This was before it all came unraveled).

I gave it away to a friend of mine who uses it as a running knife. They work pretty well for being a super compact design that can be hidden just about anywhere. I never could get the thing sorted out for a proper draw and I moved on from it. I found it extremely niche overall.

The LaGriffe is a better format. Though I admit, I don't own any finger ring blades anymore. At this point, I'm pretty much at a Clinch Pick is the smallest fixed blade I regularly carry and I have a few other things like kiridashis, sort of stashed away.

rob_s
07-14-2020, 02:03 PM
got an interesting email today that I thought I'd share with the group.

Hello, rob_s, long time no talk!

I see you've requested a knife before on Hideawayknife.com.

Hideawayknife.com has been down for a little bit but it is up and running again, and we also have a new and improved website, https://hakknife.com, and are taking orders immediately.

We are currently offering a $10 discount to our returning customers, and by receiving this email, you are entitled to this discount as well on our new site, HAKknife.com.

Use the coupon code “GETAHAK” at checkout on HAKknife.com to take advantage of this limited time discount offer.

https://hakknife.com

You must have a minimum order of $50.00 to use this discount.

The original site is currently accepting orders as well. This discount is only available on HAKknife.com, however.

If you prefer to order through our old site, I can set your knife order to maypay - so it will show in "pay for it and send it to me".

Let me know if you're still interested in purchasing a knife and/or accessories.

Alternatively, you may make a new purchase on HAKknife.com and your order will be charged and shipped immediately.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

William
William Cell: 407-580-9936 Alternate: 216-392-0042
From deep in the HideAway Cave in the shadow of Disney Castle in Orlando, Florida

You may unsubscribe to stop receiving our emails.

UNM1136
07-15-2020, 01:16 PM

Was blues your handle way back when? In the Mike Turber days, although the Spark days were interesting...I was an early Bladeforums guy back in the day...Like early Spyderco Native with a Mike Sastre sheath, the Round Eye Knife And Tool Hobbit Fang, and the D2 Sifu group buy....

Was in, way back when...

pat

blues
07-15-2020, 02:47 PM
Was blues your handle way back when? In the Mike Turber days, although the Spark days were interesting...I was an early Bladeforums guy back in the day...Like early Spyderco Native with a Mike Sastre sheath, the Round Eye Knife And Tool Hobbit Fang, and the D2 Sifu group buy....

Was in, way back when...

pat

Yep. That was me. I've been around since the beginning (of time).

I still have a REKAT Pioneer. (I hung around with the owner, Bob Taylor, at a couple Blade Shows. That boy was out there.) I've met Mike Sastre but haven't seen him in forever. I'm not even sure if he's still with us or not.