PDA

View Full Version : RFI: private email clients

Totem Polar
06-02-2020, 01:53 PM
Yo. I’d like to purchase an email client that I can use on both desktop and ipad. None of this “free” stuff (outlook, thunderbird, etc.)

Is there a way to just pay for something that will download and archive my email (multiple accounts); that allows for copying and pasting addresses; that doesn’t have retarded spell checking?

Just throwing it up here to see if the P-F brain trust knows something I don’t. I’m tired of having to log in to a half-dozen accounts, and having to save drafts on one device, then open them on another just to cc specific students on specific projects at multiple institutions all using the same lame software.

Maybe someone here has solved this problem. Open to ideas, and thanks a ton in advance.
:)

MGW
06-02-2020, 02:31 PM
Do you not like the iOS/Apple client?

I hate to say it but Gmail works really well for managing multiple accounts. Predictive typing can be turned off and I believe spell check can be too.

Guerrero
06-02-2020, 03:01 PM
Sounds like you want some sort of web-based mail. I really like ProtonMail. Once you get the paid account (worth it IMO), I think you get the features that you want.

Totem Polar
06-02-2020, 03:33 PM
Do you not like the iOS/Apple client?

I hate to say it but Gmail works really well for managing multiple accounts. Predictive typing can be turned off and I believe spell check can be too.

Not a fan of the stuff that comes as an option on iOS. Plus, looking for something where they are monetizing by charging me, not selling me.

Sounds like you want some sort of web-based mail. I really like ProtonMail. Once you get the paid account (worth it IMO), I think you get the features that you want.

Proton mail, eh? I’ll have a look. I really want the ability to archive offline though. I’ve had the experience of being able to produce emails that the powers that be tried to remove, and this likely helped me keep my position, and get another removed from theirs.

Location, location, and location has been supplanted in the 21st-c. by documentaion, documentation and documentation.

Chance
06-02-2020, 04:27 PM
Are you wanting to sync across your desktop and your iPad, while making offline copies on your desktop?

CalAlumnus
06-02-2020, 04:30 PM
Mac or PC?

Frankly, Outlook sounds like what you want. Supports multiple accounts and should allow offline archiving. Is there something it’s missing? That may help us identify an alternative for you.

beenalongtime
06-02-2020, 07:05 PM
One I just looked up (haven't seen in years), is Eudora.
https://computerhistory.org/blog/the-eudora-email-client-source-code/

Totem Polar
06-02-2020, 10:08 PM
Are you wanting to sync across your desktop and your iPad, while making offline copies on your desktop?

Ideally, yes.

CalAlumnus, Mac.

I’ve had enough of outlook at work.

CalAlumnus
06-02-2020, 10:10 PM
I haven't used it personally, but have heard good things about Spark. Available for both Mac and iPad.

Here's a review of the Mac version (as well as other third-party mail apps): https://thesweetsetup.com/apps/favorite-email-client-os-x/

Totem Polar
06-02-2020, 10:15 PM
I haven't used it personally, but have heard good things about Spark. Available for both Mac and iPad.

Here's a review of the Mac version (as well as other third-party mail apps): https://thesweetsetup.com/apps/favorite-email-client-os-x/

That looks interesting, thanks.

Sig_Fiend
06-03-2020, 10:04 AM
ProtonMail is solid. They're not just an email client, but an email provider as well. Along with that, ProtonVPN is good too. Additionally, if you ever decide to purchase your own domain name, you can connect it with them and have your own custom email with infinite aliases. (always happy to help anyone that's interested in setting something like this up)

Most email services usually have options to forward email. For example, here's how to forward with Gmail (https://support.google.com/mail/answer/10957?hl=en). If it was me, and if I had a service like ProtonMail that allows for creating aliases (https://protonmail.com/support/knowledge-base/addresses-and-aliases/), I'd forward as many emails as I can to unique aliases. What I mean by that is, say you forward a gmail to username+gmail@protonmail.com (plus symbols are valid in email addresses). Now you can add filters in your account and have those specific emails go to their own folder, keeping things organized. On the flip side, you can do the same when signing up for different sites. Like username+pf@protonmail.com if you want to keep forum comms easily organized.

Bonus: Having a unique alias for each account is one additional step towards defense in depth on the digital security side of things.

rkittine
06-03-2020, 10:13 AM
You can tell my age, or at least approximately as I still have an AOL account. Started out as Compuserve before it changed to AOL. I still have all my e-mails archived there, but it has become expensive. I use outlook for work and just send stuff I want archived to my Outlook account and then store what I want to keep off line. If I put it in the cloud then I can also look at it when I am anywhere in the world that has internet coverage.

Bob