PDA

View Full Version : The hardest thing I've done with a gun

jetfire
05-29-2012, 10:20 AM
There are some shooting accomplishments that I've found to be easier than others. For example, for me anyway making IDPA 5-Gun Master wasn't that hard once I figured out how to practice for it. On the flip side, Bianchi Cup is straight up hard. That's why I'm unreasonably proud of shooting a 470-47x on the Falling Plates at Bianchi this last week with my Metallic division gun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCOGS-J0Ve8

The question in this thread is what's the most difficult feat you've successfully accomplished with a handgun?

ToddG
05-29-2012, 10:27 AM
Best quote ever, I need to change your signature: "I'm hot... well I'm not hot anymore... I was hot."

Most difficult feat accomplished with a handgun: pulling a Carrera S out of a full sideways slide coming out of turn 2 at the Barber Motorsports Park. :cool:

jetfire
05-29-2012, 10:30 AM
Steering is a lot harder when you're using the muzzle of a handgun, it's not recommended.

I can honestly say that there isn't a match that I've experienced in the handgun sports that's more mentally exhausting than Bianchi Cup. It's not like USPSA where there are going to be some hoser stages where you can let it hang out, or Steel Challenge where some stages are a lot harder than others.

JV_
05-29-2012, 10:32 AM
I don't think I've sat down and made a list of shooting accomplishments; I'm generally looking for what I want to do next, but this one stands out from 2011:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-jTGwrvRs7DM/T8TrjoREMaI/AAAAAAAABso/lnKbBu1sxQc/s368/IMG_7968-Lg.jpg

jetfire
05-29-2012, 10:36 AM
I don't think I've sat down and made a list of shooting accomplishments

For me, that's just a part of performance tracking. Which reminds me, I need to update RangeLog.

JHC
05-29-2012, 11:24 AM
It might have been some squirrel sniping with a K-22. I've made some long headshots on them I'd hate to have to reproduce on demand.

But all time was probably a specific "timed fire" stage at an IPSC match at the indoor range in Puyallup, WA back in about '83. It was a head shot only stage, target at the back of the 50 foot indoor range. Each shot was a single, from the holster, head shot, about 50 feet. Repeat 5 times. Course of fire allowed I think 4 seconds per shot. Being the "martial artist" I fancied myself to be; competing with a Combat Commander .45 from a Sparks Summer Special I shot each as fast as I could get settled on the target; maybe 1.80-2.00. First four and I could see I had all hits. Then the last one I prepped too much too soon and it went off before I had the front sight settled but in the midst of cursing myself to go down and score I'd nailed the 5th headshot on pure index. I don't think I've matched that since and I'm not as fast at anything as back in my 20's.

JHC
05-29-2012, 05:39 PM
Caleb,
AWESOME video! The shootin' of course but also the straight up talk in your intro. Good is good. Loved it.

And btw if I could find 0.01% Scottish in my family tree I'd be rocking a kilt all the time. ;)

Cowtown44
05-29-2012, 08:14 PM
Attempting to get a concealed carry permit in CA.

Jason F
05-29-2012, 10:44 PM
Attempting to get a concealed carry permit in CA.
HAHAHA, GREAT answer!

Caleb- OUTSTANDING!! Way to go man, that was some seriously fine shooting. Great job.

NickA
05-30-2012, 09:28 AM
Great shooting Caleb! Love the way you consistently set these goals and knock them down.
Mine is pretty mundane: finally getting a clean FAST run, last one of the AFHF class, complete with riding the slide release, racking the slide, and four shots touching the lines. Longest 8 seconds of my brief shooting career.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

bofe954
05-30-2012, 06:31 PM
Congrats. Are you going to update the Bianchi thread with more video and commentary about the other stages?

Bianchi is on my list of things to do. All my shooting time is currently sucked up by USPSA and I can't go out there without serious, specific practice. I have been toying a little with the stages though while practicing for USPSA. The only thing I can't set up a my current range is the running man. How did you practice for that?

John Hearne
05-30-2012, 07:28 PM
In no particular order:

1) Passing the FBI Bulleye course for their LE Instructors class, especially on test day. Once I realized I needed to shoot one load and know my pistol's zero with that load, it got a lot easier.

2) Shoot with both eyes open. I don't have a strongly dominant eye and it was not easy for me.

3) Rogers - I ended up shooting a 106 with my P220 which I honestly think was the best I could shoot at the time. I ended up shooting "advanced" on the short range carbine and I was real happy with that.

cracker
05-31-2012, 06:14 AM
The hardest thing I have done with a gun is to explain to the wife why I needed another gun. Sorry could not help myself
Cracker

Serenity
05-31-2012, 10:47 PM
We all have to start somewhere. The hardest (scariest) thing I have had to do with a gun was at my first steel match when they had a surprise extra stage set up with a barrier that we had to shoot around from each side. I had never shot in any position but full extension, two handed. That was a huge thing for me, to shoot in a new way in front of a bunch of people (men) when I wasn't expecting it at all. Shooting while balancing on a board and reaching around the left side (right handed) was a real challenge, and I walked away with a big grin. That was my best stage that day :)

This was in April, lol.

Chemsoldier
06-01-2012, 09:27 AM
I shot a local 2 day pistol class about 18 months ago with the Beretta 92. I did good to fair in the class generally, but not the best by far. The final drill of the weekend was the Federal Air Marshal course as enumerated here http://www.thegunzone.com/fam-lawman/fam-qual.html

I ran it clean. Best run of the 10 shooters in the class. I have never done that well before or since on it.

JHC
06-01-2012, 09:28 AM
I shot a local 2 day pistol class about 18 months ago with the Beretta 92. I did good to fair in the class generally, but not the best by far. The final drill of the weekend was the Federal Air Marshal course as enumerated here http://www.thegunzone.com/fam-lawman/fam-qual.html

I ran it clean. Best run of the 10 shooters in the class. I have never done that well before or since on it.

Nice!