PDA

View Full Version : IDPA Sights

Steve m
06-02-2020, 12:27 PM
General question, for those who shoot IDPA, what type of sights do you use?
Dawson Chargers-Black rear, Fiber front here.

Medusa
06-02-2020, 12:32 PM
Ameriglo Spartans as on my carry weapons.

okie john
06-02-2020, 01:02 PM
Back when I shot IDPA, I always used my carry gun, so adjustable Meprolight night sights. If I were setting up a gun just for IDPA, I'd use Sevigny's (https://sevignyperformance.com/). They're an excellent balance of speed and accuracy.

Okie John

Amp
06-02-2020, 01:16 PM
Dawson fiber optic front and a 10-8 U notch rear.

Zincwarrior
06-02-2020, 01:38 PM
Fiber optic front, adjustable rear.

Most of the people in my age group have shifted over to 'poor man's open' (carry optics).

CraigS
06-02-2020, 03:59 PM
Dawson FO front, mostly stock white dot rear.

Nephrology
06-02-2020, 05:39 PM
Way back when I used to shoot IDPA, I'd use Warren/Sevigny fiber optic sights with their fixed rear.

PNWTO
06-02-2020, 06:46 PM
Proctor sights or Defoors, same as my carry pieces which are the same pieces I compete with.

Steve m
06-03-2020, 08:54 AM
Finally able to convert all my guns to Fiber optic front and plain black rear. All have Dawsons minus except for my Glock 26 gen 4 which shoots like a laser with the sevigney fiber sights.

Jim Watson
06-03-2020, 09:07 AM
Yup. Different brands, but my regular match guns all have fibre optic front, black rear. I am sending a blade out today to have it converted, nobody makes fibre optic for Pythons and I like to get the Colt out occasionally just to show it actually shoots.

1911Nut
06-03-2020, 11:05 AM
Red fiber optic front. Wider than most shooters, as I prefer a .125" blade width and an .060" diameter optic rod.

Prefer a fixed plain black rear sight with a .144" (or thereabouts) wide notch. A good adjustable sight is fine, too.

I also like gold or brass bead insert in the front sight with the same rear sight as mentioned.

But after many years of shooting iron sights on a pistol, I recently started shooting a RDS (Trijicon SRO with 5 MOA dot) in CO Division and after only three matches, I am QUICKLY growing into a big fan.

I am a "Super Senior" competitor, so I need all the sighting advantages I can get.

In my experience, sights are a very personal thing, and the best approach is to experiment with different options until you find the sight combination that allows you to perform at your best. It may not be the sight that you "think" you like based on aesthetics, someone else's opinion, or even dry firing in the store or your gun room. Look at the results on the range, and begin fine tuning when you can. It's a process, and a process that quite likely will change based on changes in your eyesight or even your skill level.