PDA

View Full Version : selling guns... a lot of guns

JodyH
05-28-2020, 10:24 PM
I'm wanting to cull the herd significantly.
I have probably 50 to 75 (maybe more) personal guns I want to sell, most of them generic polymer 9mm handguns and evil assault rifles.
I would think that's a bit much for trying to move via a forum like this one.
That's a lot of random stranger danger trying to move them via local classifieds.
Any ideas?
Word of mouth via friends/family?
Gunbroker?
Gun show table?
Consignment at a dealer?
YOLO it on Craigslist or out of the trunk of my car in the Barrio?

I don't need to sell, just want to sell.
I'll probably be moving in a year or two and don't really want to mess with multiple safes and a pile of firearms.
Any ideas for selling at market prices with as little hassle as possible?

BehindBlueI's
05-28-2020, 10:29 PM
It depends on what you value more. Convenience or top dollar.

Paying a commission at a local gun shop gets a lot of eyes on the guns and somebody else takes care of all the bother. Like using a property manager for rental properties, the percentage you lose may be well worth the bother you save.

Maybe cull out the "special" ones to sell here or gunbroker, etc. and consign the commodity ones to an LGS?

Duke
05-28-2020, 10:42 PM
If I had 50 things worth an average of $350 each, I’d approach it asking

“How much trouble is $17,500 worth and how many transactions am I willing to conduct to earn it ?”

Gunbroker costs fees and you have to either pay an FFL to ship or break fed ex rules (like who gives a shit) to send the guns out. That part sucks but at least the site has lookers.

I’ve done a fair bit on GB. Always do fixes price, no offers, Apple Pay or Venmo

It’s fairly painless all things considered.

I’ve done a lot of person to person - front of my car dash cam, cabelas parking lot, valid chl holder only deals to but that sort of sucks ass

Finding a dealer to buy the whole lot off you may be worth a slight loss in expected revenue for the ease.

Maybe test them with 10 at a time and see how it flows

Personal choice

GJM
05-28-2020, 10:46 PM
It was hard to anticipate a pandemic, which sold many guns, but unless something changes we still have a Presidential election coming up. Late summer and early fall should be a great time to unload surplus stuff. One lesson of panic times is custom and expensive doesn’t bring a premium. Everyone wants a Glock 9mm and an AR during a panic. Other stuff can be packaged with magazines to make them more attractive. Ideally, you can find a LGS that does like ten percent consignment, and move them for you.

Clusterfrack
05-28-2020, 10:48 PM
I’ve sold things on a local forum, and by posting at my private gun club. But the best luck has come from Gunbroker.

Having to meet up with some rando off the internet isn’t worth it.

BehindBlueI's
05-28-2020, 10:55 PM
Having to meet up with some rando off the internet isn’t worth it.

I said I'd wear a longer kilt next time.

WobblyPossum
05-28-2020, 11:06 PM
For that many guns, taking a slight loss in profit by paying a LGS a commission to move the collection for you might be worth it. I can’t imagine that 50-75 gunbroker or arms list transactions would be anything other than frustrating and time consuming. Gun broker would incur additional costs in shipping and transaction fees. Arms list would incur the FFL transfer fees at your LGS. I’m with BBI: put the cool, collectible, and interesting stuff on the forum and sell all the generic stuff through your LGS on consignment. GJM’s suggestion to wait a couple of months isn’t a bad idea either. The closer we get to the presidential election, the more desperate people will be to get their hands on things like Glocks, P320s, and ARs.

OlongJohnson
05-28-2020, 11:28 PM
I had several guns that seemed cool and interesting when I got them but less so after I'd had them for awhile. The market in March and April allowed me to recover my costs selling them through consignment at the LGS. I really liked just dropping them off and doing the paperwork, then collecting a check later. No taking time out of my day to meet someone and exchange somewhere, no dealing with the cootie-breathers, the buyer having no idea who I am, etc. I have enough ammo on hand that I was able to put a couple boxes of cheep range fodder under them and I think that helped. I believe it's cooled off, but as pointed out, if it looks like Biden or some other D has good odds in November, or is elected, things will get hot again.

One wrinkle was that the shop doesn't normally handle multiple consignments, so figuring out what the amounts I was getting paid for each gun was a little bit of a hassle until I finally figured out which employee has access to the information.

O4L
05-28-2020, 11:50 PM
I have plenty of time and I enjoy gun trading. Fortunately I know of a lot of trustworthy gun buyers on a local forum here.

If I was in your situation I would post them for sale on that forum to give the guys there a first chance at them. If I wanted to move them fast then I would discount them a little below what the local market value is.

Might as well let the good guys I know have an opportunity to buy one or maybe several at a discount rather than pay someone to sell them for me.

YMMV.

Good luck!

RevolverRob
05-29-2020, 12:06 AM
I want the Coonan.

Otherwise, I’d say - local gunshop that does consignments. You might throw the LEMs and things here on P-F where you know people might buy them faster than the LGS.

Cookie Monster
05-29-2020, 12:18 AM
I have been slowly over the last 5 years getting rid of 1500 things. I am just shy of 1400 right now.

It has been a pain in the ass, figuring out online selling and shipping and packing and buying my 80th roll of packing tape.

PF has been a solid and easy venue for gun related items.

I would pick a bunch of the good stuff and post it on PF - 10 to 20 items. Stock up on boxes and tape.

The rest go to a gun store for someone else to sell.

Use the funds for ammo and a good training class.

DallasBronco
05-29-2020, 12:27 AM
I’ve had good luck renting a table at a couple of local gun shows. I’ve split a table with my buddy and sold most everything I brought. I had fun hanging out at the show and talking to fellow enthusiasts. I wasn’t trying to get top dollar for what I sold and I think that helped a lot. Good luck with your sale, whatever route you take.

Doc_Glock
05-29-2020, 12:29 AM
I good friend moved a ton of guns. A hundred and I would estimate in the $200,000 range as a lot were very collectible and some were transferable machine guns etc.

He used one of the big auction houses like Rock River and was really happy with it. They actually came with a truck and grabbed everything. Sold it and that was that. No idea on commissions.

Paul D
05-29-2020, 01:01 AM
You have to consider the size and make up of your market. If you lived here in Phoenix, you can probably unload all of them via gun shops. I don't know if you will have that opportunity in New Mexico which has a population half the size of Maricopa County AZ. The internet market is probably the best best. You can probably sell them as lots. You can sell the more pedestrian guns on Gunbroker and offer the more interesting stuff on forums and auctions houses where more appreciative eyes are available. Of course it is always a better cost savings to order boxes from Uline and get a rental truck when you move. :cool:

TheNewbie
05-29-2020, 01:24 AM
I have been slowly over the last 5 years getting rid of 1500 things. I am just shy of 1400 right now.

It has been a pain in the ass, figuring out online selling and shipping and packing and buying my 80th roll of packing tape.

PF has been a solid and easy venue for gun related items.

I would pick a bunch of the good stuff and post it on PF - 10 to 20 items. Stock up on boxes and tape.

The rest go to a gun store for someone else to sell.

Use the funds for ammo and a good training class.

That is an amazing number.

fatdog
05-29-2020, 06:06 AM
I have an internet dealer who sells exclusively on gunbroker who operates on a 10% consignment cut. She has a huge following (12,000+ feedback) and I learned that she can attract thousands more eyeballs with her auctions on GB than I ever will. Tens of thousands of people tune in every Thursday evening to see her new listings and have her on their saved search. My observation is she gets me at least that 10% more in terms of price than I would on my own, plus I don't have to deal with FFL's, shipping, packing, etc. She handles it all.

I get more on the national market for anything I sell than I would in the local market here in Central AL which is always awash in used guns compared to the number of buyers.

For large collections, she or her husband take a truck to come pick them up.

For a certain class of collectables there are internet dealers who specalize and sell on consignment too. E.g. Woodlawn Boys for S&W and Colt revovlers, Collectors Firearms (both the Houston group and Simpson Ltd. up in IL) for C&R type stuff, etc. The things that are just below the threshold of the Auction groups. Those groups get the expected prices for the guns because they have such a huge following.

JodyH
05-29-2020, 06:55 AM
I want the Coonan.

Otherwise, I’d say - local gunshop that does consignments. You might throw the LEMs and things here on P-F where you know people might buy them faster than the LGS.

If I sell the Coonan, RevolverRob has first dibs... LOL.
Unfortunately for you, I recently had it at the range and remembered how much fun that flame throwing beast is and it's currently on my probably keep list.
:cool:

I'm thinking that instead of timing general public panic buyers I'd probably have better luck timing the P-F.com "gun of the month" club and riding that wave.
Maybe I just need to sponsor a P-F.com "influencer" here on the forum to get everyone interested in what I'm trying to move at the time.
:p

willie
05-29-2020, 07:32 AM
If several guns are left with a dealer, ask how you would be compensated if loss to fire or theft. Consider that insurance settlements involve deductions which would reduce coverage. Businesses close for many reasons. Mismanagement, divorce, and recession are three. Bondage storage is one option if a move is imminent. I used to keep some handguns in safe deposit boxes. If Glock slides with barrels could be sold separately and profitably, these transactions are easily handled. Frames can be sold later and take up little space. Secure transaction and safe, professional management will be found in larger and older firms with an honorable track record. One of the nicest and up front guys in the business is the gentleman at Summit Gun Broker. He answers his phone. J&G Sales might be another to consult. You very likely may have to look in a state different than your own.

UNM1136
05-29-2020, 07:35 AM
Maybe I just need to sponsor a P-F.com "influencer" here on the forum to get everyone interested in what I'm trying to move at the time.

Uh, dude, you one of the influencers.....

And I am in the market for a G19...

pat

JodyH
05-29-2020, 07:39 AM
If several guns are left with a dealer, ask how you would be compensated if loss to fire or theft.
I have a full coverage, no deductible, pretty much all inclusive policy for all my firearms (and watches).
The easiest "sell" of all would be for the gun shop that had them on consignment to get sideways with some mobsters.

JodyH
05-29-2020, 07:43 AM
Secure transaction and safe, professional management will be found in larger and older firms with an honorable track record. One of the nicest and up front guys in the business is the gentleman at Summit Gun Broker. He answers his phone. J&G Sales might be another to consult. You very likely may have to look in a state different than your own.
Hmmm... you gave me an idea and reminded me that there's a big online retailer of new and used firearms and accessories fairly close. I may just give them a call.

ranger
05-29-2020, 08:27 AM
I buy and sell off the "Outdoors Trader" in Georgia. They have a scoring system that clearly shows positive and negative feedback. I only deal with those with lots of positive feedback and no negative feedback. I do not deal with those with no feedback. I meet in locations that are convenient to both parties, in daylight, far enough from prying eyes not to alarm "Karens" but open enough to be "safe".

deputyG23
05-29-2020, 08:35 AM
It depends on what you value more. Convenience or top dollar.

Paying a commission at a local gun shop gets a lot of eyes on the guns and somebody else takes care of all the bother. Like using a property manager for rental properties, the percentage you lose may be well worth the bother you save.

Maybe cull out the "special" ones to sell here or gunbroker, etc. and consign the commodity ones to an LGS?

I put two excess handguns on consignment at a LGS which specializes in EBRs and accessories. One sold Tuesday and his percentage was 20%. That was worth it to me to save the hassle.

Wingate's Hairbrush
05-29-2020, 08:40 AM
I always plan to offload and never do, so there might be some ignorance in this question, but -- if selling that large a number of firearms in a short time, is there any concern of crossing the legal threshold from "private seller" to "dealer" and the attendant issues?

JodyH
05-29-2020, 08:48 AM
I always plan to offload and never do, so there might be some ignorance in this question, but -- if selling that large a number of firearms in a short time, is there any concern of crossing the legal threshold from "private seller" to "dealer" and the attendant issues?
Personal collection disposal is an exemption.
All the guns I am selling have been in my possession for an extended amount time so it'd be easy to demonstrate that they were not purchased with the intent to resell for a profit.
Also, I'm guessing that even in a panic buying pre/post-election market I could demonstrate that I'm not making a profit (unless things really go crazy, then I might end up very slightly ahead).

rkittine
05-29-2020, 09:45 AM
No matter where you decide to sell them, I would love to see a list of what you have, condition, what it comes with and price.

Bob

rkittine@aol.com

Borderland
05-29-2020, 10:07 AM
Have you tried Mexico? The fed has had some luck moving guns down there. ;) That's a joke.

Do they still do gun shows in NM? If you can sell to a private party without a BC that might be worth your time. My FFL used to load up a car full of guns and do the two day gun shows here until the state made that next to impossible. He said back in the day it was lucrative. Short of that I would just do a consignment with a dealer I trusted.

I wouldn't want to move all those guns either. Good luck.

RevolverRob
05-29-2020, 10:16 AM
If I sell the Coonan, RevolverRob has first dibs... LOL.
Unfortunately for you, I recently had it at the range and remembered how much fun that flame throwing beast is and it's currently on my probably keep list.
:cool:

I understand that man. Which is why I want it. ;)

I'm thinking that instead of timing general public panic buyers I'd probably have better luck timing the P-F.com "gun of the month" club and riding that wave.

Not a bad idea...I nominate...me.

So what do you want to start with Glocks, Berettas, or HKs? :eek:

JJN
05-29-2020, 12:23 PM
I work at an LGS and have sold a fair number of guns in private transactions. If you choose to use Armslist or similar, be prepared for some serious clownery. One thing that helped was that I just deleted responses from people who could not put a sentence together (I'm sure now that I've said that, I'll miss some egregious syntax error in this post). If you can't match your subjects and verbs, I'm pretty sure the world would not be made better by me selling you a gun. So just deleting the "what U bottom dollar" e-mails saves a ton of heartache. Second, consider putting in your ad (if you venture that route) that you will meet at your LGS of choice where buyer will complete a 4473 and you will pay that fee. We do this at my shop for $35, but I imagine some places might do it for $15-25, and might just do one fee per buyer instead of per gun. But also just having that in the ad will cause a lot of people to self-select away from your guns, exactly the kind of people with which you don't want to deal.

At my shop, we've been paying a smidgen more for Glock 19ish guns lately. The supply chain is all wonky now, so you may be able to work a 10-15% commission on a good supply of solid guns. Accessories are best sold by themselves, almost always.

Have fun. You'll meet some nice folks along the way. And if you meet someone in a parking lot, be prepared: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdDl6mbcGtc.

Jon

Crow Hunter
05-29-2020, 01:12 PM
My experience.

If it is a "commodity" gun like a G19, I usually sell it local to friends/family/co workers.

If it is a "enthusiast" gun like a Beretta PX4, I usually sell it on an enthusiast forum.

If it is something that is "collectable" in demand due to being out of production like a Marling 39a, I usually sell on Gunbroker.

I have personally done all of those listed above with those specific firearms.

What I have found is that used "commodity" guns won't sell for crap on Gunbroker and no one on a forum will do anything but lowball you for them so I do better selling local.

If it is an "enthusiast" gun that only certain groups use/like that doesn't have the name recognition of "commodity" guns but doesn't really qualify as "collectable", I will usually get no hits local and some interest on views on Gunbroker but significantly more on an enthusiast centered forum.

Things that are "collectable" always do better on Gunbroker. For instance the Marlin 39a that I listed on a local forum and put up for sale to friends/family/coworkers asking $600 with only a few lowball $350 offers sold for over $800 on Gunbroker.

Like others said, I would section it out and list them in various places based on what they are.

Unless you wait for a panic. Then all bets are off.:D

GJM
05-29-2020, 02:31 PM
I have been a lot more expert at purchasing firearms than selling them. Jody, once you sort out the best way, let me know. Here are some I am moving to a different location today.

HCountyGuy
05-29-2020, 02:36 PM
Like Ranger I use “The Outdoors Trader” site that’s specific to GA folk.

The good thing about it being I feel the people there are generally more “known quantities” than randos from Armslist. Plus as was mentioned there’s a feedback system so if someone ghosts you after a deal has been agreed upon, they’re marked to the community. I suppose theoretically someone could use different accounts but I haven’t seen it as a prevalent issue. There has been an uptick of new people since the panic gun buying of 2020 began, but I’m usually willing to work with new people.

I usually want a buyer to have a Georgia Weapons Carry License Andover times meet at a police station. That usually keeps those with less-than-honorable intentions from wanting to engage.

JTQ
05-29-2020, 02:57 PM
I recall a Tom Gresham "Gun Talk" episode from years ago, where he mentioned he used Dury's Guns to sell a bunch of firearms after his father, Grits, passed away.

Dury's https://www.durysguns.com

Joe in PNG
05-29-2020, 03:25 PM
I've 'dumped' my share of gats that just weren't cutting it, for whatever reason.
Best is a sale to friends or family.

Commissioned selling via your local LGS is also good, and the time savings is worth the money.

One hint on both- price the guns on the low side, about $50 below the going used rate or less. This will make them sell faster.

It's also a good idea to check the cases before bringing in anything you want to consign.

Nephrology
05-29-2020, 04:11 PM
I have been a lot more expert at purchasing firearms than selling them. Jody, once you sort out the best way, let me know. Here are some I am moving to a different location today.

You store handguns the same way I store once fired brass....

#goals (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=goals)

Caballoflaco
05-29-2020, 04:28 PM
Time and tranquility are worth more than money to me. If it was me I would pick a method that kept me from having to interact with individual buyers. If I had to unload that many gats it wouldn’t be worth the hassle of dealing with every or even any son of a bitch that wanted to haggle over prices or was ten minutes late to meet up for a private sale.

Totem Polar
05-29-2020, 05:37 PM
Start with 10 here, and see how it goes.

Of course, I would say that.
:)

LOKNLOD
05-29-2020, 05:42 PM
You store handguns the same way I store once fired brass....

#goals (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=goals)

Me: picks up bucket of once-fires brass after a range session
George: picks up buck of once-fired handguns after a range session

Casual Friday
05-29-2020, 05:44 PM
Lately every time I've sold anything via the internet there is a lot of poor mouths out there with a sob story wanting me to sell it to them for cheap. With that many guns, I'd go consignment someplace and let them deal with the hassle.

5pins
05-29-2020, 05:50 PM
If you do decide to sell them yourself take a look at shipmygun.com. It may save so few buck in shipping.

Darth_Uno
05-29-2020, 05:55 PM
Lately every time I've sold anything via the internet there is a lot of poor mouths out there with a sob story wanting me to sell it to them for cheap. With that many guns, I'd go consignment someplace and let them deal with the hassle.

I state in all my Armslist sales, “lowballers will be ignored.” Doesn’t stop ‘em from trying, but I just don’t reply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whirlwind06
05-29-2020, 06:53 PM
I state in all my Armslist sales, “lowballers will be ignored.” Doesn’t stop ‘em from trying, but I just don’t reply.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkSome times when a crazy lowball offer I answer back with double or triple what I'm asking. I'm still hoping to get a taker at some point. [emoji4]

To OP with that many I would look at consignments especially with the commodity ones.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

UNK
05-29-2020, 07:07 PM
I sold a couple Colts through a LGS. Easy peasy. Drop them off and pick up a check. It was quick too. Yes I paid for the service it was worth it. You might be able to negotiate a lower percentage with the inventory you have?

2xAGM114
05-29-2020, 07:14 PM
Any HKs?

Ed L
05-29-2020, 07:45 PM
Any HK SP5Ks in the batch for sale?

I agree with some of the things said. I would try to break it down by types of guns--like Glocks, ARs, shotguns, H&Ks, Walthers? etc, and list them here first by category.

Ed

Half Moon
05-29-2020, 08:02 PM
Do they still do gun shows in NM? If you can sell to a private party without a BC that might be worth your time.

Gun shows, yes; non-BC, not since early this year. The last gunshow before mandatory background checks for private transfers went in effect, the private sellers were out in force. For once there were a ton of good deals. Everyone was trying to move their stuff before they had to involve an FFL.

Arbninftry
05-29-2020, 08:25 PM
What about that DVC Carry, that could go quick?

Joshmill
05-29-2020, 09:45 PM
No matter where you decide to sell them, I would love to see a list of what you have, condition, what it comes with and price.

Bob

rkittine@aol.com

I'm with his idea!!! ^^^^^^

RevolverRob
05-29-2020, 09:46 PM
Man, JodyH is brilliant...

He has created a thread to stoke up interest in his sell off, by saying he has "A lot of guns to sell", mostly things P-Fers would want. But like a pro, he is keeping what the list is under his hat, until he gets closer. I predict every month for the next 3-months, we'll get a casual update from Jody...before we see a massive sell thread. :eek: ;)

Poconnor
05-29-2020, 10:29 PM
When I retired I had to sell off over 50 guns. DB really helped me out with some. I laid all 50 out and figured out what I wanted for them. I priced them for selling to a dealer but not giving them away. I called my go to dealer and he came over to the house. I did not tell him my price. He looked them over and offered me $100.00 less than I wanted. He wrote me a check on the spot and I helped him load his truck. Could I have made more on gunbroker? Yes. But quick and easy made it an easy choice. But ask l learned from DB; what are you selling?

Caballoflaco
05-30-2020, 08:05 AM

We just had or fifth kid and put a radieter in my FORD ranger and I got a ticket for no insurenece so cant pay $400 wud u trade for a SKS with scop and banana clip Ive got 100 rounds of bullets I can trade to

fixer
05-30-2020, 09:52 AM
So Jody...no one has asked-- what guns are you actually keeping?

Arbninftry
05-30-2020, 11:11 AM
JodyH you might as well post the list, you have us all at the edge of our seats.

Stephanie B
05-30-2020, 11:21 AM
JodyH you might as well post the list, you have us all at the edge of our seats.

Yeah, no kidding. There are some guns that I'd be interested in, no shit.

Kanye Wyoming
05-30-2020, 11:29 AM
I think until the list is posted we’ll have to assume he’s looking to offload 30 Kel-Tecs, 15 Taurus semiautos, 20 Caniks and a pre-upgrade P320.

Casual Friday
05-30-2020, 11:30 AM
We just had or fifth kid and put a radieter in my FORD ranger and I got a ticket for no insurenece so cant pay $400 wud u trade for a SKS with scop and banana clip Ive got 100 rounds of bullets I can trade to

It was a Suzuki Samurai and a Rossi .38 special revolver but pretty close other than that.

LOKNLOD
05-30-2020, 11:36 AM
It was a Suzuki Samurai and a Rossi .38 special revolver but pretty close other than that.

Nah, us Samurai guys are too cheap for a Rossi. Unless you're a guy like me rolling in a Samurai with an LTT :D

Patrick Taylor
05-30-2020, 01:24 PM
Thinned the herd a few times and have had the best luck on Gunbroker on selling firearms but timing is everything. I held on to things until a gun ban scare popped up and then sold them.

Parts and extras seemed to sell best on forums that focused to that firearm. Glock on Glock forum , MP on MP forum and such.

Posted one CZ on the Enos forums , a Shadow II ......never again.

Stephanie B
05-30-2020, 01:47 PM
My last thinning the herd operation ended up with me selling six guns and buying three. Due to the differing values, the net cash difference wouldn't have filled a gas tank.

All told, over the years, I've only replaced one gun that I had let go with an identical model.

NEPAKevin
05-30-2020, 02:15 PM
For some unknown reason, these popped into my head.

JodyH
05-30-2020, 06:21 PM
I'm prepping a list for the FSOT forum, don't want to do any selling in General Discussion.
Trying to keep this thread on what the various options are for offloading a "collection".

Arbninftry
05-31-2020, 12:21 AM
I'm prepping a list for the FSOT forum, don't want to do any selling in General Discussion.
Trying to keep this thread on what the various options are for offloading a "collection".

We can only hope for our grail guns to be on the list:)