PDA

View Full Version : No M&P Unlocking Problem Here - Poor Shooting Problem!

MandoHack
05-28-2012, 12:53 PM
Been lurking around a bit here and have learned a whole lot regarding practice. Thanks to everyone for sharing their knowledge.

I just started an intentional practice plan to improve my skills, and I have used some of the drills I read about here.

This morning, I really learned a lot about where my current skill level stands using the slow marksmanship drill at 25 yards and combining it with a ball and dummy drill. The first time I shot the drill was brutal! For a second, I thought I had an unlocking issue with my M&P. Then I randomly inserted the snap caps in with live rounds, and I immediately identified that I was the problem - pretty significant anticipation of recoil!

Besed on that result, I ran this drill three more times and made myself do 10 perfect dry fires each time I flinched on a dummy round per some of the suggestions on the forum.

The results were great! I began grouping consistently on the target - all within an 8-inch circle which is great for me at this point. And, as I moved to 7-yard drills, I also noticed much tighter grouping. Very motivating!!

So thanks to everyone at PF! You have been a great resource to get me started, excited and confident that I can develop my marksmanship skills. I look forward to trying some of the other practice drills as I move forward.

part-time shooter
06-01-2012, 08:57 AM
My M&P 9 has no issues either. I've always been a big fan of going back to the bare basics if "the gun" starts having issues. It's always fixed the problem for me. 99% of the time it's a software issue and not the hardware.

I love this forum, it still offers the the best "signal to noise" on this topic on the entire net.

JHC
06-01-2012, 09:32 AM
Been lurking around a bit here and have learned a whole lot regarding practice. Thanks to everyone for sharing their knowledge.

I just started an intentional practice plan to improve my skills, and I have used some of the drills I read about here.

This morning, I really learned a lot about where my current skill level stands using the slow marksmanship drill at 25 yards and combining it with a ball and dummy drill. The first time I shot the drill was brutal! For a second, I thought I had an unlocking issue with my M&P. Then I randomly inserted the snap caps in with live rounds, and I immediately identified that I was the problem - pretty significant anticipation of recoil!

Besed on that result, I ran this drill three more times and made myself do 10 perfect dry fires each time I flinched on a dummy round per some of the suggestions on the forum.

The results were great! I began grouping consistently on the target - all within an 8-inch circle which is great for me at this point. And, as I moved to 7-yard drills, I also noticed much tighter grouping. Very motivating!!

So thanks to everyone at PF! You have been a great resource to get me started, excited and confident that I can develop my marksmanship skills. I look forward to trying some of the other practice drills as I move forward.

Well done! This forum really does a great job at shifting the emphasis from range outings to have fun and bust some caps to focused skill building. Very cool.