PDA

View Full Version : Training Sequence Advice

UNK
05-27-2012, 10:03 PM
I have a brand new shooter who wants to get trained up. This individual has a two month break starting next thursday.
The rest of the year she works six days a week 12 hours a day so the only possible training option after her summer break will have to be locally and on Sunday.
So the question involves the upcoming 2 month summer break.
I can get her some private local one on one training from some very well qualified competition guys, one who is sponsored by a major 1911 manufacturer. However their agenda does not cover self defense oriented training.
We are in central KY and she does not mind traveling to a good self defense class.
So I am looking for two things.
The first is do you have any recommendations for instructors within a days drive of central KY.
Do you think it would be beneficial for her to find an instructor who could do a multi day class? Somebody who could perhaps do a level 1,2,3 back to back or do you think this would be too much?
What is critical is we only have the two month window.
Thanks for your help,

ACP230
05-28-2012, 07:23 AM
You might try the American Institute Of Marksmanship in Cave City, KY.,
info@aimperfect.com is the e-mail address. They have a lot of classes and private instruction available.

I took a short class from one of the instructors, who is now there, Jim Higginbotham, some years ago.
I was impressed and would like to take another.

JeffJ
05-28-2012, 08:52 AM
I think you need to start with a realistic set of goals, you may have already done this, but the OP just says "trained up" I personally think that trying to go from level 1-3 in just a few days isn't going to be very productive in the long term. I think I would look to get a real good grasp on the fundamentals and hammer them in.

Also, becasue pistol skills are so incredibly perishible I would look to putting a 2 month live fire program together along with a 10-15 minute dry fire program to be done 3-5 days per week during her busy season - I'm kinda thinking that moving beyond skills that can be reinforced with a basic dryfire program will end up being lost during long periods of no live fire, and that her schedule isn't going to allow more than about a hour per week of dryfire so I would work backwards from there.

UNK
05-28-2012, 09:13 AM
I think you need to start with a realistic set of goals, you may have already done this, but the OP just says "trained up" I personally think that trying to go from level 1-3 in just a few days isn't going to be very productive in the long term. I think I would look to get a real good grasp on the fundamentals and hammer them in.

Also, becasue pistol skills are so incredibly perishible I would look to putting a 2 month live fire program together along with a 10-15 minute dry fire program to be done 3-5 days per week during her busy season - I'm kinda thinking that moving beyond skills that can be reinforced with a basic dryfire program will end up being lost during long periods of no live fire, and that her schedule isn't going to allow more than about a hour per week of dryfire so I would work backwards from there.

Thats the kind of advice I am looking for. I am sure with all the great instructors on here I will get plenty of good advice. It seems like it would be a good idea to pick one instructor to implement this program, It could be possible after the summer break for her to take a refresher/critique/bump up the skills class on a Sunday every so many weeks after her work resumes.
Also there are two indoor ranges here so she should be able to practice at least some once her work resumes.
It would be really nice if she could get into a Managing Contacts type class too.
She has everything she needs to get started, a pistol, range holster, case of ammo and a damn good attitude about getting as much done as she can in this two month period.

UNK
05-28-2012, 09:14 AM
You might try the American Institute Of Marksmanship in Cave City, KY.,
info@aimperfect.com is the e-mail address. They have a lot of classes and private instruction available.

I took a short class from one of the instructors, who is now there, Jim Higginbotham, some years ago.
I was impressed and would like to take another.

I'll check it out thanks. Seems like I have heard that name before.

rob_s
05-28-2012, 10:48 AM
Agree with the above. Stacking 1,2,3 in a row isn't going to work. you need to take 1, go away and practice, perhaps retake 1, go away and practice, then take 2, go away and practice, may have to drop back and re-take 1, go away and practice, etc. I don't think you leave a level 1 course ready to take level 2. This isn't corporate BS training, or professional licensing training, or even college curriculum.

I will also say that the fundamentals she lays at the beginning will be virtually impossible to change later on, and so what you choose to start with matters a lot. I have seen more students than I can count struggle with evidence right in front of their eyes when it conflicts with what they've previously been taught. There is actually evidence that this effects the same parts of the brain as pain, so in effect you literally find it painful to have your preconceived notions challenged. For some reason it totally escapes people that there may be more than one way to do a thing, that there may be a better technique for a beginner than an experienced practitioner, and that instructors may just flat out disagree and you have to find what works for you after being exposed to a variety of methods. Note, "what works for me" is not an excuse to ignore other potential techniques and simply jam your fingers in your ears and holler "nuh uh. nuh uh. nuh uh." over and over again.

IMO proper marksmanship fundamentals to start with are key. Focus on the front sight, gradually increasing pressure, get a surprise break, ease to reset, reacquire the sights (ideally the last two at the same time). This is not how a high level USPSA shooter is going to shoot, or even teach, but I think that the more complex way that those types of shooters shoot is too complicated for someone just starting out.

If you can get her to a Randy Cain Handgun 101 I think that's the single best place to start that I'm aware of in all of the training I've had or otherwise been exposed to.

UNK
05-28-2012, 11:41 AM
Agree with the above. Stacking 1,2,3 in a row isn't going to work. you need to take 1, go away and practice, perhaps retake 1, go away and practice, then take 2, go away and practice, may have to drop back and re-take 1, go away and practice, etc. I don't think you leave a level 1 course ready to take level 2. This isn't corporate BS training, or professional licensing training, or even college curriculum.

I will also say that the fundamentals she lays at the beginning will be virtually impossible to change later on, and so what you choose to start with matters a lot. I have seen more students than I can count struggle with evidence right in front of their eyes when it conflicts with what they've previously been taught. There is actually evidence that this effects the same parts of the brain as pain, so in effect you literally find it painful to have your preconceived notions challenged. For some reason it totally escapes people that there may be more than one way to do a thing, that there may be a better technique for a beginner than an experienced practitioner, and that instructors may just flat out disagree and you have to find what works for you after being exposed to a variety of methods. Note, "what works for me" is not an excuse to ignore other potential techniques and simply jam your fingers in your ears and holler "nuh uh. nuh uh. nuh uh." over and over again.

IMO proper marksmanship fundamentals to start with are key. Focus on the front sight, gradually increasing pressure, get a surprise break, ease to reset, reacquire the sights (ideally the last two at the same time). This is not how a high level USPSA shooter is going to shoot, or even teach, but I think that the more complex way that those types of shooters shoot is too complicated for someone just starting out.

If you can get her to a Randy Cain Handgun 101 I think that's the single best place to start that I'm aware of in all of the training I've had or otherwise been exposed to.

Its a three day 101 course with a 600 round ammo count. That is exactly what I am looking for.

Tony Muhlenkamp
05-29-2012, 12:08 PM

Agree with the above; especially re Randy Cain Handgun 101