PDA

View Full Version : ZT 0350: It's Great. Is there anything better?

TheRoland
05-16-2020, 04:31 PM
So, for the last several years, I've carried a ZT350 (https://amzn.to/2AAEjmd). It's easy to handle, stays closed point-down when in my pocket, opens easily, is a good average size, isn't too tactical to use, and can be used as a pry-bar when required. The mechanical action is smooth and the stainless steel has resisted the elements well. It's the Glock of knives. It's not sexy, but it's perfect.

But now I lost mine.

I'm likely to just buy another one, but.... I find myself wondering if there's anything more perfect out there.

Any other folding knife I should be considering? Requirements:

1. Not an auto, but assisted opening is OK. Un-assisted is also OK, so long as we're talking one-handed opening. "Wave" is not OK in my state.
2. Cost isn't an issue but I should be reasonably able to replace it if it ends up in a lake.
3. It's going to be used and occasionally misused. I had a Benchmade once with a little itty-bitty blade profile. No.
4. Blade down. I have a super nice Chris Reeve's Sebenza that would be my favorite knife, except I've stabbed myself reaching for it like 4 times.

blues
05-16-2020, 04:36 PM
Choosing a knife is so personal, but I'm not a fan of assisted opening. Modern knives are so fast out of the pocket...why bother? Just my opinion. Not looking to chap or argue.

I have four ZT's total. 0550, 0551, 0456 and 0562CF. I like them all, but the 0550 is still my sentimental favorite.

I don't mind tip up or tip down. Have been stuck once or twice, even with custom knives.

TheRoland
05-16-2020, 04:47 PM
I'm not that attached to assisted opening, either. The Spydero Paramilitary 2 is a possibility; similar sized blade, G10, good steel.

I like the look of the ZT 0550 but I guess it's not that easy to find anymore?

blues
05-16-2020, 04:53 PM
I'm not that attached to assisted opening, either. The Spydero Paramilitary 2 is a possibility; similar sized blade, G10, good steel.

I like the look of the ZT 0550 but I guess it's not that easy to find anymore?

I guess not. I was gifted mine, (and the 0551) by Thomas Welk of ZT knives. It was a very generous thing for him to do, and I'll always be appreciative.

(I think they were returns that couldn't be resold, but there was nothing wrong with them, imho, and I have the 0551 for a backup in case the 0550 goes tits up or gets lost.)

I have six PM2s, way more than I need. Don't really know why I ended up with that many, it was just an addiction to various high end steels for the most part.

Clusterfrack
05-16-2020, 06:10 PM
Para 2. Carries tip up or down. Lots of options for steel and handle.

Trigger
05-16-2020, 07:26 PM
ZT452CF is my current favorite. Internet image.

UpDok
05-16-2020, 09:04 PM
The already mentioned Spyderco PM2's are great knives. I've had one since 2013 and I like it a lot.

I recently picked up a Benchmade 560bk-1 with black-coated CPM-M4 steel that I absolutely love. The Axis lock is fast & smooth. The knife is very well made and has a bigger blade than the PM2. It's a fairly new product. The CPM-M4 is a type of tool steel that has a chrome content but is not considered stainless, so you may not want it if you work anywhere near saltwater.

drummer
05-16-2020, 09:42 PM
There are tons of great folders on the market right now. Keeping tip down clip in mind, what else is important to you? Lock type, size, choil, no choil, etc.

javemtr
05-17-2020, 01:59 AM
I'm very biased towards Spyderco, but check out the Spyderco Manix 2 for a hard use replacement of your 350. The two knives have very similar specs (size and weight) when considering the regular Manix 2 with G-10 handle scales and steel liners. You will not be disappointed!

5pins
05-17-2020, 08:55 AM
I have a ZT 350 and I have to say I'm not a fan for an EDC. Too big and heavy in the pocket, I'm also not big on flippers or assisted openers. The PM2 is a great knife but not if you are going to pry with it.

Crawls
05-17-2020, 12:53 PM
You could take a look at the Spyderco Shaman. It's similiar to the PM2 with an added dash of pry bar sprinkled in.

The LionSteel TM1 also looks like a sweet hard use folder that would be a good EDC.

JCS
05-17-2020, 02:30 PM
I would go with a Microtech Socom Elite Manual. American company and American made. Premium steel with a great heat treat. Thick blade but is ground very thin and will cut excellent. Also it is a tip down carry only knife.

XXXsilverXXX
05-17-2020, 05:58 PM
My wife really enjoys her PM3, and I like my cheapo Kershaw static, and the custom benchmade 556 she got me for our 1st anniversary.

Snapshot
05-17-2020, 07:10 PM
I have a ZT0300 and a ZT0301, they are great knives but I find them a bit bulky for carry in casual clothing, and I mostly don't need the wide thick blade. Also I sometimes need to access restricted areas and although I have credentials I am always worried about having a nice knife confiscated because... reasons.

For the last few years I have been carrying a Cold Steel "Broken Skull". Yes I know Steve Austin etc. etc. but these are simple knives with ambidextrous thumb stud and clip (tip up), not assisted, and they are quite thin and light for the size of the blade (3.75"). They are not expensive so I have a couple of them, of course since they are not expensive they never get lost or stolen or confiscated as would likely happen with a expensive knife.

Mine does not see heavy use but it seems to hold up find for slicing, slitting, poking and other EDC tasks.

Navin Johnson
05-18-2020, 09:26 AM
So, for the last several years, I've carried a ZT350 (https://amzn.to/2AAEjmd). It's easy to handle, stays closed point-down when in my pocket, opens easily, is a good average size, isn't too tactical to use, and can be used as a pry-bar when required. The mechanical action is smooth and the stainless steel has resisted the elements well. It's the Glock of knives. It's not sexy, but it's perfect.

But now I lost mine.

I'm likely to just buy another one, but.... I find myself wondering if there's anything more perfect out there.

Any other folding knife I should be considering? Requirements:

1. Not an auto, but assisted opening is OK. Un-assisted is also OK, so long as we're talking one-handed opening. "Wave" is not OK in my state.
2. Cost isn't an issue but I should be reasonably able to replace it if it ends up in a lake.
3. It's going to be used and occasionally misused. I had a Benchmade once with a little itty-bitty blade profile. No.
4. Blade down. I have a super nice Chris Reeve's Sebenza that would be my favorite knife, except I've stabbed myself reaching for it like 4 times.

Would not recommend a Spyderco....They lean much more on cutting uses than screwdriver uses.

If the ZT worked before it will work again

Clusterfrack
05-18-2020, 11:11 AM
Or put one of these mini pry bars in your pocket or wallet and only use your knife for cutting?

https://countycomm.com/collections/view-all-tool-products/products/titanium-widgy-bar-multi-pack

https://countycomm.com/collections/view-all-tool-products/products/widgy-pry-bars

At a match a while back, a PCC shooter had a doublefeed death jam in his MPX, and asked to use my knife. WTF? Like I’m going to let him ruin a $250 knife that can’t be replaced to clear his gun? I handed him my Widgy Prybar instead. I keep one handy for just that sort of thing.

TheRoland
05-18-2020, 05:11 PM
I took a gamble and bought a Spyderco PM2 in SV110, sight unseen. We'll see if the fact that it's a knife and not a pry-bar frustrates me.

Thanks for all the advice. Obviously I'll repay with a picture once it gets here.

blues
05-18-2020, 05:36 PM
I took a gamble and bought a Spyderco PM2 in SV110, sight unseen. We'll see if the fact that it's a knife and not a pry-bar frustrates me.

Thanks for all the advice. Obviously I'll repay with a picture once it gets here.

Congrats. For seven and a half bucks, get one of these and put it on your keychain or in pocket:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61D6jhKL%2BVL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51cqUSjYUSL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Swiss-Tech-ST67129-Multitool-Stainless/dp/B01G3K0GMW/ref=sr_1_49?crid=282LFT1AWY778&dchild=1&keywords=pocket+pry+bar+tool&qid=1589841237&sprefix=pocket+tool+pry+bar+%2Caps%2C214&sr=8-49

TheRoland
05-26-2020, 01:28 PM
Finally had my PM2 arrive, somewhat slowly due to the current unpleasantness.

My previous experience with Spyderco was limited but I remember them feeling too light. This one is about as light as I'd like to go, but has enough heft to not feel cheap in my hand. The fit and finish is nice, the blade profile is thick enough that I can abuse it a little, I think. Lockup is solid, and I like the reverse-liner-lock it has going. It opens quickly and closes under its own weight when unlocked. I'm a fan; it was a good recommendation, and very likely to be my new daily companion. I suspect won't be the last Spyderco I buy, although I'll be aiming for blade profiles no lighter than this one.

Here's a picture that includes pandemic day-drinking:

Thanks everyone for the guidance.

blues
05-26-2020, 01:41 PM
Congrats...

Don't abuse it too much as you may break the tip. Try not to apply much lateral force. It will cut like a banshee for a long time...even after it loses its initial sharpness.

You'll want diamond hones, whether bench stones, rods, or whatever style you prefer...but diamond will be your friend here.

If you don't need a particularly fine edge, something between 320 and 600 grit (coarse to fine) will be perfect for that steel. (Based upon many, many recommendations from highly regarded sources.)

TheRoland
05-26-2020, 01:51 PM
Congrats...

Don't abuse it too much as you may break the tip. Try not to apply much lateral force. It will cut like a banshee for a long time...even after it loses its initial sharpness.

You'll want diamond hones, whether bench stones, rods, or whatever style you prefer...but diamond will be your friend here.

If you don't need a particularly fine edge, something between 320 and 600 grit (coarse to fine) will be perfect for that steel. (Based upon many, many recommendations from highly regarded sources.)

Thanks! Given my track record, I can imagine losing the knife before I actually re-sharpen it.

blues
05-26-2020, 01:54 PM
Double sided DMT Fine / Coarse...6" x 2" (If you are comfortable freehanding)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71j8ZkSgaEL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Machine-Technology-DMT-D6EF/dp/B000GD8WHY/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=dmt%2B6x2%2Bfine%2Bcoarse&qid=1590519171&sr=8-2&th=1

blues
05-26-2020, 01:59 PM
And another reasonable alternative:

https://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Sharp-Diamond-Sharpening-2-sided/dp/B01FPGSZ7I/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&qid=1590519509&sr=8-3&srs=19831628011