PDA

View Full Version : RFI: trekking poles

Totem Polar
05-15-2020, 08:38 PM
In my day, we called these “a stick.” I don’t even know what I don’t know about getting a pair. Just grab a set off of Amazon, because they’re just aluminum sticks, or is there some sort of standard/G19 of poles I should look at?

Thanks In advance for indulging me.

Cookie Monster
05-15-2020, 08:51 PM
Back in the aughts, I spent probably a year and a half backpacking.

I’d invest, Leki or Black Diamond. Don’t go to amazon and get a Hi Point.

Actually, a better start would be what you doing with them? What do you want them to do?

BehindBlueI's
05-15-2020, 09:12 PM
I don't know nothing about nothing.

That out of the way, I've used these for 3 years and other than the rubber doo-dickey at the bottom wearing out and the metal bolt sticking through they are still as new. They are about $30 for the pair.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A9FKD7K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

whomever
05-15-2020, 09:15 PM
We're pretty happy with these:

http://www.rutalocura.com/trekking_poles.html

Spendy but light. I carry mine on my pack as much as in the hand, so they work for me. If you use them all the time they might not be worth it.

Doc_Glock
05-15-2020, 10:51 PM
The carbon poles carried at Costco are cheap and durable. Recommended.

https://andrewskurka.com/costco-trekking-poles/

Also. Look for lever locking systems as twist locks are a PITA.

ST911
05-15-2020, 11:04 PM
In my day, we called these “a stick.” I don’t even know what I don’t know about getting a pair. Just grab a set off of Amazon, because they’re just aluminum sticks, or is there some sort of standard/G19 of poles I should look at? Thanks In advance for indulging me.

Features = cost, so consider if you want them to break down and how light they need to be. Pay more than $50, but if you're not shaving ounces, folding them up small, or need a pro grade you don't need to spend more than $100. Black Diamonds are GTG: https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en/trekking-poles. Several options here are a good place to start. Things to consider: Heavier hiker or load on rougher terrain benefits from a stouter pole. If your terrain varies on an outing and you're alternating carrying/using, you may like a segmented pole. You can also scabbard or QD lash a regular adjustable to a pack.

Kind of like guns and ammo stuff, some details don't matter until they do.

Totem Polar
05-15-2020, 11:05 PM
Back in the aughts, I spent probably a year and a half backpacking.

I’d invest, Leki or Black Diamond. Don’t go to amazon and get a Hi Point.

Actually, a better start would be what you doing with them? What do you want them to do?

I appreciate your input; you know the lay of the land, for sure. The deal is that I will be going out with my cop/ECQC buddy to do some prep for spot and stalk black bear a couple of hours due east of you. My bud is a Marine combat vet, about your age, and fit as fuck, so when he told me that some trekking poles would be a Godsend on the hike, I pretty much decided to take him at his word. We will have rucks on, day trip. And... what I want them to do is help keep my old ass upright. :D

I don’t need takedown, or ultralight, just comfy and supportive for rucking into bear country, if that makes sense.

Features = cost, so consider if you want them to break down and how light they need to be. Pay more than $50, but if you're not shaving ounces, folding them up small, or need a pro grade you don't need to spend more than $100. Black Diamonds are GTG: https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en/trekking-poles. Several options here are a good place to start. Things to consider: Heavier hiker or load on rougher terrain benefits from a stouter pole. If your terrain varies on an outing and you're alternating carrying/using, you may like a segmented pole. You can also scabbard or QD lash a regular adjustable to a pack.

Kind of like guns and ammo stuff, some details don't matter until they do.

Makes sense. As mentioned, I don’t need them to break down, but heavy load and rougher terrain is about right.

Cookie Monster
05-16-2020, 12:03 AM
I would second the recommendation for Black Diamond, they are on sale right as well.

If I had to pick a set right now I’d hit the Distance Carbon FLZ.

You want something that folds down and you can stowaway. There will be times where poles are a pain like a road walk or scrambling where you need you hands or up and over heavy blowdown. I always broke down my poles for hitchhiking and strapped them to my pack, I never left them in a hitch. It also helps just to keep your shit together and tight. It is nice to be able to break down 2 awkward three foot long sticks.

You want the FLZ which is adjustable or any pole that is adjustable unless you really know the height you like. The height should be the top of your hands with your elbows against your torso at 90 degrees and your forearms parallel with the ground. There are times I like to run them longer for descents and shorter for climbs. But you could be a set and forget sort of dude. The BD’s are nice too because they are just a single length adjustment, not two like most telescoping poles.

Forget anything with springs, adds weight and complications.

The BD ones that are more running oriented are great because they come together/extend quick and vise versa. I have had much better luck with the flick lock levers then the twist - like on Leki poles.

The older I get the more I focus on lightweight, those ounces add pounds. If you are reasonable to poles you’ll be fine. I don’t know if I have seen a breakage difference between light poles and heavy poles. I am smaller dude. On the AT when I was young and stupid and malnutrition was present I hit 130 lbs and could smell the muscle tissue being used for energy in my sweat.

I went through 4 pairs of poles on my PCT thru hike and other hikes probably claimed another 4 pairs. They have probably saved me from a dozen falls that would of fucked me up. I descend 1/2 to 1 mph faster with poles. I love them. They might seem weird to folks but man they help. If you are athletic and robust they might just get in the way, there are many super fast long distance backpackers that don’t use them. If you surveyed 9 out of 10 folks that have done the AT, PCT, and CDT. They did the 8000 miles of packing with poles.

Default.mp3
05-16-2020, 12:26 AM
The only thing I'll say about poles is that make sure you're actually using them correctly. I see way too many people on the trails using them as just canes, when you could be way more efficient and use them as ski poles; if you use the straps correctly, you barely have to grip the poles. I find poles just as useful on even, flat terrain as I do going up or down hill (think Nordic walking).

I personally use fairly heavy poles (MSR Talus TR-3), but they're also durable as fuck (I've been beating on them for over 5 years now), and I've gotten so used to the way they swing that lighter poles kinda throw me off (I also have a pair of CAMP Sky Carbon, bought when I had to send the TR-3 in for repair because some marmots ate my straps). The fact that I almost never stow them, but instead are always using them, makes the weight less of an issue; Lord knows there are plenty of other places I could cut weight if I wanted to.

I do adjust for going up or down hill if it's sustained, but if it's just a small hill, I tend to just leave it be.

peterb
05-16-2020, 06:36 AM
Using straps currently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmddqxemyO8

This makes a huge difference. You don’t have to grip the pole tightly and your hand and forearm can stay relaxed. I tend to make a loose ring with my thumb and forefinger and use the other fingers as needed to control placement. With practice you get good at flicking the poles out ahead of you on downhills, which would be almost impossible with a tight grip.

whomever
05-16-2020, 09:13 AM
Lots of good advice here.

Since this is P-F, and at the risk of stating the obvious, since you are heading into bear country remember that a pole with a strap (and I agree you generally want to be using straps, a few situations like maybe river crossings excepted) is a factor if you are trying to draw a pistol or bear spray ... might want to put on the pack, holster, and poles and experiment. I dunno if there is a right way; I usually just grip the pole tightly, shoot it out behind me, then drop it to dangle by the strap and draw. There is some risk it will be stuck in underbrush, but the odds are pretty good it will work. In any event, not something to figure out for the first time while a grizz is charging :-)

(ETA: my holster is a strong side belt holster ... dunno about chest rigs etc)

Heavy underbrush might be a time when a stowable one is good. Also if you're going to be stalking with rifle in hand ... underbrush and long poles sticking up from your pack would be bad.

(and given your use case ... you don't want the ones I mentioned earlier ... different use case altogether)

vcdgrips
05-16-2020, 11:16 AM
"...hey have probably saved me from a dozen falls that would of fucked me up."

Quoted for the MFT. Philmont 2014. 10.5 days on the trail 100+ miles. 6700 to 11000ish and back for us flatlanders from KCMO.

Even the hard head father/son pair bought some at the reup on day 4 or 5.

Black Diamond and Leki are the Ford/Chevy of the trekking pole world. 150 or under with a sharp pencil should do it.

Mountainsmith and whatever brands they sell at Costco, Amazon and maybe REI brand at under 50.00 for proof of concept would be my goal.

Sierra Trading Post just opened back up and was a go to when I was Scouting steadily.

https://www.sierra.com/s~trekking-poles/

smithjd
05-16-2020, 12:25 PM
I’ve found these work. A method to affix the poles to each other for a field firing support:

https://www.wiserprecision.com/products/quick-stix

Gater
05-16-2020, 12:33 PM
A recent comparison, FWIW:

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/camping-and-hiking/best-trekking-poles?specs=n&n=0&sort_field=#compare

drummer
05-16-2020, 01:12 PM
I bought a pair of BD aluminum ergo trekking poles a while back prepping for an AT hike in April that got canceled. Thanks COVID :mad:

I got them based on the recommendation of my more experienced hiking partners. They said to stick with more durable aluminum and stay away from carbon fiber. Even though the hike didn't happen, I've been using them in a local preserve. I did 8.9 miles this AM and feel that they were a good purchase.

blues
05-16-2020, 01:17 PM
I've got a couple pairs that I picked up from REI years ago. They were made by one of the top makers, I forget which one now, but didn't have "all" of the bells and whistles, and weighed a couple ounces more.

They've been fine on hikes in the national and state forests hereabouts, but I don't usually use them. I do find more use for them in the winter when snow / ice makes footing a bit more treacherous around here.

Purchased them after an episode with a knee that I get once every few years for some reason.

Jaywalker
05-16-2020, 04:03 PM
I use REI aluminum poles with cork handles. If I were walking multiple 20+ mile days the extra ounces over carbon would be an issue, but I don't walk that far, so durability wins. Nobody shatters an aluminum pole.

I absolutely do not use the straps. Instead, I position my middle finger under the beak of the handle and curl my index finger on top - this allows me to grip the handle less tightly and rotate the pole forward. Once I did that I lost the hand numbness and excessive hand sweat that went with straps.

But for hiking or even walking the neighborhood? Yeah, poles help with stability. Bipedalism is over-rated.

blues
05-16-2020, 04:15 PM
I like the straps, but I use them as I did with x-c skiing...loose but with sufficient grab to swing before poling.

whomever
05-16-2020, 04:26 PM
Nobody shatters an aluminum pole.

You never know. We encountered a guy once who had managed to fall, breaking an aluminum pole, and ramming the broken off end through his neck. Only a little trickle of blood from the entry/exit wounds ... but a lot of important real estate in the neighborhood. We turned around and hiked out a few miles to the trailhead with him w/o incident, and he drove himself home. We ran into him a few minutes after the fall, so don't know the particulars.

Anyway, never say never :-(

Cookie Monster
05-16-2020, 06:20 PM
The thread got me interested whether carbon fiber poles are weaker or not. Lots of articles out there but I found nothing like x lbs broke this pole and y lbs broke this pole.

I did find this article by Andrew Shurka:

https://www.outsideonline.com/2371296/best-trekking-poles

If there ever was a backpacker with a bad mofo on his wallet it is Andrew.

GJM
05-16-2020, 07:06 PM
I think poles are very useful for descending rough terrain with a heavy pack. For all around use, I think that poles take away one benefit of hiking, which is to improve your balance. As stated, they mess with your draw (and ability to look at a smartphone).

In certain conditions, I bring one pole, But mostly keep it collapsed and secured to my pack, deploying it sparingly as required.

Totem Polar
05-16-2020, 07:13 PM
I freaking love this place. Good info from vetted sources on almost all subjects.

Here’s where things stand currently, thanks to input and a general crowd wisdom on branding and features: I found a set of these, searching “Black Diamond trekking,” after reading through the BD site linked upthread, and figured that for the first time out/proof of concept, they’d fit the bill.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VV6B154/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If I end up actually using them enough this summer to earn myself a little reward, I have no problem bumping up a tier and making these a loaner pair; I’ve gone that route on everything from street bikes to 1911s during my adult life. :)

I appreciate everyone’s input thus far.
:cool:

Doc_Glock
05-16-2020, 08:07 PM
The thread got me interested whether carbon fiber poles are weaker or not. Lots of articles out there but I found nothing like x lbs broke this pole and y lbs broke this pole.

I did find this article by Andrew Shurka:

https://www.outsideonline.com/2371296/best-trekking-poles

If there ever was a backpacker with a bad mofo on his wallet it is Andrew.

Yeah, I think we could all just read that article and its links and close the thread.

FWIW I use the Costco poles and removed the straps as per his recommendation and am quite satisfied on various rugged day hikes and backpacks. I know they have saved me falls when backpacking. My use is no where near yours or Skurkas.

I would not get too hung up on carbon vs AL.

ST911
05-17-2020, 07:36 AM
This thread delivers.

pyrotechnic
05-17-2020, 09:14 AM
I recently started using trekking poles on my hunting trips after years of thinking they're for old people and weirdo's. They've absolutely saved me from numerous falls side hilling and climbing/descending on steep slopes especially if there's a little snow to make it slick.

I ended up up with a set of the Black Diamond carbon FLZ and have been happy with them. They fold up small enough to shove in a pack and have enough adjustment so I can extend them for extended downhill stretches. I haven't had any noticable slip in the locking mechanism.
I did have one case of ominous creaking when I fell and ended up putting all of my weight plus pack ( so probably 220ish lb total) on one pole. No buckling failure, but made me a bit more careful as falling on a pile of shattered carbon fiber tubing didn't seem like a fun time. When I was researching my trekking poles purchase some people recommended aluminum poles if rough terrain and heavy packs were going to be a large part of their use.

Overall I highly recommend using trekking poles for hiking in steep, uneven terrain and can vouch for the Black Diamond FLZ.

BehindBlueI's
05-17-2020, 11:06 AM
old people and weirdo's.

Band name if blues and I ever start one.

underhook
05-17-2020, 11:08 AM
Another fan of Black Dimond poles and poles in general. They make hiking a total body workout and are like adding 4 will drive when crossing rough stuff.

blues
05-17-2020, 11:34 AM

Old people and weirdos...not necessarily only one or the other...

deputyG23
05-17-2020, 12:04 PM
Lots of good advice here.

Since this is P-F, and at the risk of stating the obvious, since you are heading into bear country remember that a pole with a strap (and I agree you generally want to be using straps, a few situations like maybe river crossings excepted) is a factor if you are trying to draw a pistol or bear spray ... might want to put on the pack, holster, and poles and experiment. I dunno if there is a right way; I usually just grip the pole tightly, shoot it out behind me, then drop it to dangle by the strap and draw. There is some risk it will be stuck in underbrush, but the odds are pretty good it will work. In any event, not something to figure out for the first time while a grizz is charging :-)

(ETA: my holster is a strong side belt holster ... dunno about chest rigs etc)

Heavy underbrush might be a time when a stowable one is good. Also if you're going to be stalking with rifle in hand ... underbrush and long poles sticking up from your pack would be bad.

(and given your use case ... you don't want the ones I mentioned earlier ... different use case altogether)

"...hey have probably saved me from a dozen falls that would of fucked me up."

Quoted for the MFT. Philmont 2014. 10.5 days on the trail 100+ miles. 6700 to 11000ish and back for us flatlanders from KCMO.

Even the hard head father/son pair bought some at the reup on day 4 or 5.

Black Diamond and Leki are the Ford/Chevy of the trekking pole world. 150 or under with a sharp pencil should do it.

Mountainsmith and whatever brands they sell at Costco, Amazon and maybe REI brand at under 50.00 for proof of concept would be my goal.

Sierra Trading Post just opened back up and was a go to when I was Scouting steadily.

https://www.sierra.com/s~trekking-poles/

This pair did Philmont in 2011.
Trek #29 with about 35 miles of side hikes.
Worked well and saved my old ass on multiple occasions.
I would do it again in a heartbeat..

Totem Polar
05-17-2020, 02:33 PM

You say that as if P-F doesn’t already refer to you guys that way.

blues
05-17-2020, 03:13 PM
You say that as if P-F doesn’t already refer to you guys that way.

Maybe we can be called "Trekking Poles" and our first album will be titled "In Search of Pierogies"

https://previews.123rf.com/images/kotangens/kotangens1811/kotangens181100074/113996598-summer-view-to-hala-gasienicowa-in-valley-tatra-mountains-zakopane-poland.jpg