PDA

View Full Version : Guns For Which You Had High Expectations and They Delivered

Stephanie B
05-15-2020, 07:06 PM
This is for the guns that you thought would be the best thing since sliced bread and which were that, indeed.

I'll begin with a S&W Model 65, 3" with a bobbed hammer. I thought that this might damn well be the perfect IWB revolver. I finally got one that was so configured earlier this year and, guess what: It is indeed all that.

S&W Model 17, 6". Unless someone was a really good shot, I could hold my own with this against people in Bullseye shooting. I could sometimes beat guys in mano-a-mano plate matches.

S&W Model 27, 6": If you need me to tell you why this is an awesome gun, then you need to shoot one. I paid more for mine than I have for any other used gun and I've never regretted it.

Half Moon
05-15-2020, 07:28 PM
Seconded on the model 17. We have a pre-model number K-22 Target Masterpiece. It's a laser. Hyper-accurate, just enough recoil to let you know you're shooting, cheap to fire for long range sessions, plus that little supersonic zinging noise :-) I expected good things but was actually doubting it would live up to its reputation. It lives up to every bit of the legend and is a family favorite.

Gater
05-15-2020, 07:30 PM
Prob not a surprise after other comments in the related threads, but: HK MP5.

Clusterfrack
05-15-2020, 07:30 PM
CZ Shadow 2: Best handgun I've ever owned.

BobM
05-15-2020, 07:37 PM
My 5” 629 Classic and my 5 1/2” Ruger MkII bull barrel.

JAD
05-15-2020, 10:09 PM
.38 Super lightweight commander.

https://youtu.be/RugZcmxq9eY

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200516/7b376831c70ded9572df16a3a2524c78.jpg

1911Nut
05-15-2020, 10:27 PM
Ed Brown Products Special Forces Model SF-SS-G3-A caliber .45 ACP pistol with custom VG grips, flush barrel crown, recessed slide stop/countersunk hole, “clean” slide (no markings) ambidextrous safety, stainless steel with black “Gen III” finish, and 10-8 Performance rear sight and gold bead front sight.

This pistol was custom ordered by another person who subsequently encountered some financial challenges and put it up for sale with less that 50 rounds fired. It was in as-new, pristine, perfect condition, and I was in the right place at the right time to make the purchase.

Had I custom ordered the pistol directly, I would have ordered it exactly as it was. It was meant to be!

I have owned and shot multiple dozens of 1911 pistols, but this one has proven to be by far the best. Zero problems. 100% reliability. Very accurate with multiple loads. I shot a lot of IDPA matches with it as well as one Gunsite Alumni shoot. Lots of rounds down range, and showing some cosmetic holster wear, but the gun just keeps on clickin's, and seems to have been made "just for me". It's the last handgun I would part with, despite my fondness for my CZ's

NGCSUGrad09
05-15-2020, 10:30 PM
In no particular order, but these all stand out as to living up to the hype for me:

Accuracy International AX
Knights SR-15 with Mod 2 gas system
Benelli M1 Super 90
MP-5
M1 Garand

Doc_Glock
05-15-2020, 10:43 PM
Glock 45 and 19X
P30L
BCM 11.5”

jandbj
05-15-2020, 10:54 PM
3rd on the S&W model 17. I have a 4” my heirs have been instructed they’ll have to fight over. Chest size steel at 100 meters is easy in DA. Plate racks are child’s play. Best damn rimfire handgun I own.

Makes me consider trying a 4” 617 10 shooter with an Apex mass driver hammer.

45dotACP
05-15-2020, 10:56 PM
LTT 92G Elite.

Ruger Mk. IV

The 1911s that I built myself [emoji23]

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

The-Gears
05-16-2020, 04:22 AM
Most of my CZ handguns, with the CZ Shadow 2 Orange standing out among them. It's easily the best 9mm handgun I own. Cannot say enough good things about it.

Most of my HKs also delivered, with the VP9, USP (Particularly the 45 full size & 45T), & Mark 23 exceeding my expectations.

Bucky
05-16-2020, 04:49 AM
Back when EGW was building guns. The hype was in play, and they did not disappoint.

Guinnessman
05-16-2020, 06:35 AM
HK P30
HK P30L
HK P30sk

Glock 19 Gen 5
Glock 45

Jason M
05-16-2020, 07:15 AM
Browning HP with work by Austin Behlert - the name says it all.
BCM 16inch pencil barrel with a batlecomp - soft shooting, no muzzle rise
640 no dash
Glock 45
Not a gun per se but a LTT TJIB for a stock M9. Amazing transformation!

Tom Duffy
05-16-2020, 07:26 AM
I would have to say my HK45C. It was the first gun I'd bought in this century. I bought it in early 2012 after a lot of research and while my Python was at Colt for a timing adjustment (which evidently takes Colt 4 months). Above all, I wanted reliability and got that and more. The gun has never had a malfunction, will put everything in the black at 25 yards in slow fire, and shoots everything from wimpier reloads to hot Double Tap ammo.
The gun and I have moved along with the times. I converted it to LEM and eventually had it milled for an RMR. I've paid a lot more money for certain guns but this one is special.

P30
05-16-2020, 07:45 AM
HK P30
HK MR308
Glock 19

The P30 (V4 CH) should only have a bit shorter reset, then it would be perfect for me.
The MR308 shoots sub MOA (with high-quality ammo if I don't mess it up).
I have not used the G19 so much yet and can't shoot it quite as accurately as my P30. But it's also very fine, I like how it implements the KISS principle (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle).

BehindBlueI's
05-16-2020, 09:54 AM
S&W Model 19 from a pure joy of ownership perspective. The aesthetics are perfect, so much so it's one of the few guns I can say I don't even care how it performs. It performs quite well, of course, but man is it a beautiful machine. Mine is factory nickle with the smooth grips. I'm at half-mast just thinking about it.

Rex G
05-16-2020, 10:23 AM
Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special.

Glock 17 Gen4.

Duelist
05-16-2020, 10:51 AM
S&W 28-2 6”. After my one model 29 experience, and a lone round of .500 S&W, I was shy of big revolvers until I handled this one in a shop, and finally bought.

Hogue rosewood grip. Hot .38s are a pleasure, normal .38s are like shooting a .22, and .357 range from tolerable for the heavier loads to fun for the lighter ones. I’ve had several people try to trade or buy it. Maybe someday I’ll take somebody up on it if my joints get to where I can’t take the weight, but I doubt it.

642: I expected a gun that wouldn’t rust while spending its life getting sweated on, that would draw smoothly from a pocket and be light and small enough to remove excuses to carry a gun >95% of the time. Not the easiest gun in the world to shoot accurately or comfortably, especially with larger hands, but it fills the niche I bought it for and then some.

Beretta 92a1. Loved every Beretta I ever shot, and finally got my own. Great gun.

3913. I’d always wanted one. I’ve had two and a 3953 now. They are great shooting and very reliable. I’m down to one and a 4516-1 and am mostly running GLOCKs now because of parts and factory support, but 3rd gen S&W are neat guns.

Speaking of Glock: my 19x has been everything I ever wanted it to be. My original expectations of Glock weren’t very high, but by the time I got this one, I was pretty much expecting a lot of performance without any fuss, and it delivers. I know some people don’t appreciate the color and were pleased with the 45 when it came out, but I prefer the brown.

Ruger MKII Standard Auto. I had a lot of wishes and hopes for guns growing up, but was forbidden to have any by my mother. I bought this first gun as a newly married 22 year old college student after deciding that the only caliber I could afford to actually shoot was a .22, and that I didn’t have a place to keep a rifle. This was a great choice in a first gun. Fun shooting was the primary reason to get it, and it’s always delivered.

Clusterfrack
05-16-2020, 10:51 AM
... living up to the hype for me:

Accuracy International AX

Yes. My AIAE mk. 3 in .260 Rem has been the same.

olstyn
05-16-2020, 11:18 AM
Walther P99 AS. I started out my gun buying/gun ownership journey by doing a bunch of research, going to a few gun shows and seeing what "felt" right to me, and I kept coming back to the P99. Feels almost like somebody sculpted it with my hands in mind, trigger is easy to run well, etc. I ended up buying a P99c to start, and it's still my carry gun. I shot it in USPSA for several years, and eventually talked myself into buying a full size. The first time I shot said full size P99 in a match, I shot my best classifier score ever at that point, and very shortly thereafter bumped up in classification. Who knew a bigger gun was easier to shoot fast while maintaining accuracy than a smaller one, right? :p

In the 10K+ rounds since, that gun has just run and run and run. It doesn't seem to care at all how often it gets cleaned; it just keeps going like the Energizer bunny. Accurate, fits me well, goes bang every time I pull the trigger. My wife even likes shooting it (at least as much as she likes shooting anything, that is). It's pretty no-frills and it has a lot of wear on the magwell opening from doing reloads, so it's not pretty, but for what it is, I really couldn't ask for more.

frozentundra
05-16-2020, 11:58 AM
BCM ELW-F rifle with the original magnesium KMR rail.

So light!
Shoots IMI 77 Razorcore like a frickin' laser beam.
Cycles any ammo, even commie steel cased, in any weather, from 100* to -20* F.

I wouldn't trade it for any other AR.

RJ
05-16-2020, 02:09 PM
Glock 19, gen 5.

My first Glock. I was stoked about the GMB, the lack of finger grooves, and the other features in the Gen 5. When it was released, I waited until the SCD was announced, I was ready to buy, so I contacted my LGS and got one as my first GSSF coupon purchase. I have modified it for USPSA with an extended OEM mag release, OEM extended slide release, Overwatch DAT Trigger, Glock Store Tungsten Guide Rod, "Thug" plug, SCD, improved part no. TMH with ejector and a 0.25 trigger job, steel black rear sights and a Dawson FO Front, Talon Pro grip surface. Mags have Dawson 0.100" base plates.

I only have had three malfunctions, all attributed to Federal Syntech 147 ammo in a Gabe class. Otherwise I am up to 6,429 rounds with no issues. I am a certified YOO TOOB armorer and have taken it apart and put it back together multiple times with a punch and roll of tape. Despite my fairly ham-handed skill set, it seems to still work. I love it to bits.

Jaywalker
05-16-2020, 04:15 PM
H&K P30S

Glock G43

Together, these fit my needs so well that I find myself wondering why I need anything else that sits in my safe.

ReverendMeat
05-16-2020, 06:00 PM
Beretta PX4 CC. After being hyped up here I asked to shoot my friend's. Lived up to my expectations and I bought it from him

Dan Wesson Valor. Perfect 1911 for me, everything I wanted and nothing I didn't, regret having to sell it

Also MG42

1slow
05-16-2020, 06:41 PM
HK USP 45, HK USPT 45, HK USP EXPERT 45, HK USP ELITE, HK MARK 23, HK P2000SK 9mm LEM, P30 9mm LEM

FN Special Police rifles, gen 1 & gen 2, .308

AI AW .308, AI AW .338 Lapua

S&W 1950s K 22, 4", S&W 13, .357

Hamilton Bowens Redhawks , Alpine .44, .475 Linebaugh, .500 Linebaugh.

Wise_A
05-16-2020, 06:45 PM
Smith and Wesson 327 M&P R8
Fuck, yes. The double-action trigger is superb, and the big Scandium N-frame is handy while still making full-power Magnums comfortable and easy to shoot. If you found the recoil of your 629 too stout, this is the answer. Oh, and if you were unsure, it's an 8-shot, and it's cut for moonclips.
I railed (pun intended) against this hideous monstrosity for years, until a used one showed up at the LGS right when I got a new job. I dithered a week and overpaid. 100% worth it.

H&K USP45 Expert
Excellent double-action trigger--I'd happily DAO it at the current weight. Target sights are perfect.

Elkhitman
05-16-2020, 06:54 PM
Weatherby Mk V .270 Winchester
Glock 19 Gen 3
CZ SP01
Larue Tactical PredatAR
W. German Sig P226

fatdog
05-16-2020, 07:07 PM
Glock 19, gen 5.

Amen, for me, best Glock ever, straight out of the box.

My Steyr Scout in 6.5CR, my Tika CTR in 6.5CR, and my old school 308 Steyr SSG are also much better than I imagined they would be. All have an old half blind shaky McGoo ringing steel at 1000 yards. That "bang", wait for it, wait for it, wait for it, DING leaves me feeling like I won the lottery every time.

Trooper224
05-16-2020, 08:03 PM
1903 Springfield: it was a restoration project of mine some years ago. I hoped it would really shoot while I was working on it and it delivered. When you're on your game it drives nails. On the other hand, it's not an easy rifle to shoot well so it keeps you humble. I have a lot of sweat equity in it, so it's one of the last ones I'd ever sell.

M1 Garand: this one shoots uncommonly well for a stock GI rifle. The cool vibes are off the scale when you shoot it.

S&W Model 29: I cut my shooting teeth reading stories from the likes of Elmer Keith and Ross Seyfried, so a .44 Magnum was always on my list. I had a long barreled Dirty Harry model, but really wanted a four inch nickeled example. When I found it, it had a few issues, but nothing I couldn't remedy and the price was right. After a tune up it quickly became one of my favorite handguns.

Colt SAA: after the Garand this is the coolest gun I own and it's a tack driver to boot.

Dan Wesson Valor: fully expected it to be a solid performer and it has been. Nothing to criticize.

Half Moon
05-17-2020, 09:14 AM
1903 Springfield: it was a restoration project of mine some years ago. I hoped it would really shoot while I was working on it and it delivered. When you're on your game it drives nails. On the other hand, it's not an easy rifle to shoot well so it keeps you humble. I have a lot of sweat equity in it, so it's one of the last ones I'd ever sell.

If it's not sporterized, the Army sights are garbage - over complicated, overly fine, overly a lot of things. Don't know what they were thinking. Love a good 1903A3. That Lyman peep is a thing of joy and really lets the Springfields shine.

UNM1136
05-17-2020, 12:23 PM
Wife's granddad's 03A3. Honest 500 yard deer gun. Given the deer I have access to during rifle season, 90% of my practice ammo is spent between 200 and 550 yards. No irons, just a Votex 3x9. And only 150gr pills. I can predict my zero wander pretty well for the first 10 rounds as the non-freefloated barrel warms up. Won't update because it was a CMP gun kinda like his issue rifle in WWII, till he sporterized it himself.

Kimber Warrior. Thanks to Uncle Pat, who put me in touch with the Kimber LE rep I got one of the first 500 guns made, still wearing its original Novak night sights. The gun has been retired for 3 years now, but I carried it everywhere under all sorts of conditions in a fanny pack, a SME, or a duty holster for 13 years. Accurate and reliable. Frequently do 100 yard shots with it.

Gen 4 G17 MOS. Currently waiting for an SME for it. Currently wearing an RMR and a bunch of Suarez stuff. Go everywhere, do everything blaster, till I get a 19. 100 yards is much less work than with my Warrior.

Colt LE6920 with more $ in LaRue stuff than I have the in the gun itself. 10K plus rounds on about six cleanings. No parts breakage. Accurate. Reliable. Rides with me daily at work. Redimag (Redimod this summer.) Vltor clubfoot stock. Aimpoint and Surefire, with a Viking Tactics light mount and sling. When I loose this weight this year a suppressor (either a LaRue SURRG upper or a Elite Iron CQC muzzle can) will be my reward. Shot it well from 3 to 715 yards. In front of people, with money on the line.

The Ruger 9mm LCR looks like it might make this list. Waiting to do more than dry fire, but man it feels good in the pocket and during dry work.

pat

NWshooter
05-18-2020, 11:25 AM
LTT Elite 92
LTT PX4
LTT PX4 compact carry (favorite gun ever)

Beretta A400 Xtreme.

Berettas make me happy

Also have a Walther PPQ that I adore as well. Prior to getting the PX4 and training with it, it was my EDC.

olstyn
05-18-2020, 11:35 AM
Amen, for me, best Glock ever, straight out of the box.

Admittedly I haven't actually shot a gen 5 Glock, but on dry firing a few owned by friends, they do feel a lot less like holding a brick than prior generations did. Whether that's just because I've progressed as a shooter and/or am less sensitive to frame geometry than I used to be or because they made subtle changes, I don't know, but they do *feel* nicer in the hands, and the reports that the barrels are more accurate than prior generations are also encouraging. I'm not looking to switch any time soon, but if for some reason I had to, I'd feel a lot less bad about it than I would have in years past.

Ingramite
05-18-2020, 12:29 PM
2014 Colt Lightweight Commander XSE