PDA

View Full Version : Guns That Delivered Way more than Expected

Doc_Glock
05-14-2020, 02:48 PM
In the spirit of the recent disappointing and meh threads: have you every been surprised by a gun being a lot better than you ever imagined?

A few for me:

Glock 44: I expected this to be a typical .22 dog. I now have nearly 4000 rounds through it and 11 stoppages. This is with all sorts of ammo and I hardly keep it clean. Mean rounds between failure is 362, which is killer as far as I am concerned for a .22, and the thing is just fun as hell to shoot.

HK VP9: This is a strange pistol that seems to elevate my skill level instantly to 110% of what I am currently capable of.

Ruger Blackhawk .357: Wait, it doesn't have to be painful to shoot .357? This is pleasant even.

Just about any rifle: You mean I can align the sights and just get hit after hit at 100 yards on steel? Rifles are the easy button for a pistol shooter.

Casual Friday
05-14-2020, 02:55 PM
Colt 6933. It just flat out runs.

mtnbkr
05-14-2020, 02:56 PM
Ruger LCR: Great trigger, easy to shoot, less felt recoil than a comparable j-frame with the same ammo. I wouldn't consider buying a lightweight j-frame for carry.
Polymer80 Faux Glock: The fact that it works... :)

Chris

Stephanie B
05-14-2020, 02:59 PM
Resnipered Mosin 91/30 with a PU scope. The rifle, which apparently had been chosen by random, had once been an issue sniper rifle. As a result, the trigger is very nice. I took two teenagers (who later went Army) shooting with it and some other rifles, including a Savage Mk.II .22, a Krag, a Springfield, a Garand, and a Interarms Mauser (.30-06). They shot everything, but they kept going back to the Mosin. They shot that enough to bubble the finish on the handguard.

Desnipered Mosin 91/30 PEM. By the time I bought this one, I had some idea what to look for. This rifle had the welded plug that indicated that it once held a PEM mount. It's accurate, has a pristine bore and a good trigger. I put a Mojo peep sight into it. If I was going out on a hunt in shitty weather, I'd take this rifle. The price of the rifle was the same as all the others in the bin ($125).

Enfield Mk.4 (Pakistan made), I shot this both in a service rifle match and a three-gun match. Loads of fun to do both. The service rifle math was fun; everybody else had nice shooting pads and shooting jackets, most had M-1As from Springfield. I had a mover's blanket and, as it was summer, I wore a t-shirt.

FPS
05-14-2020, 03:04 PM
Another vote for the VP9

Joe in PNG
05-14-2020, 03:08 PM
Beretta 92D Centurion, picked up for $300 at a gunshow.

Colt 9mm WC LW Commander- I can suck at longer distances now!

AKDoug
05-14-2020, 03:14 PM
Ended up with an XDM40 as a gift. Being that it was a gift I ran the shit out of it. It was my interim gun between 1911's and going to Glock. Ran that pistol in two RedBack One classes with zero issues. Even won a patch as the most accurate shooter in one of those classes. Shot thousands of rounds with it in local steel challenge shoots and practical pistol shoots. I replace the firing pin retainer roll pin with a better one and that's the only maintenance I've done with it. Not a single failure with it at any point. I am way more accurate with it than my Glocks, but not necessarily faster. I ran it at a time when everybody said they were shit, and still keep running it even though I know they're supposed to be shit.

Nephrology
05-14-2020, 03:16 PM
My RRA Predator Pursuit, my first AR-15. The upper was something of an impulse buy as it was on sale for very cheap. Bought and assembled a lower and put a Leupold 3-9 Mark AR Mod 1 on it. I knew nothing about ARs at the time and if I did I probably would have been turned off by the slickside freefloat tube (where am I going to put my WML??), the heavy unthreaded 20" match barrel (how do I mount a suppressor???), and RRA's reputation (should have bought a BCM!!).

Really glad I was totally ignorant to all of this as the gun is probably the most accurate thing in my safe. Barrel is sub-MOA with match ammunition, and because it's over 10lbs with the scope, recoil is effectively non existent. I could sit and shoot this thing all day. I just mounted a Vortex Viper PST 6-24 that I haven't had the chance to zero yet - hoping this changes soon.

https://i.imgur.com/njbMeME.jpg

Baldanders
05-14-2020, 03:18 PM
My recent experience with a Glock 20 surpassed my expectations more than any other shooting experience ever. The only centerfire semi I have had a better experience with was a Les Baer.

I wish my rabid "gotta try 'em all" phase had lasted longer. Experience beats hypothesises about what might work well. I just didn't try enough big guns! (CZ-97b might have have stopped my experimentation. Not bad, but not my cup of tea)

Evil_Ed
05-14-2020, 03:20 PM
PTR K3P (basically a G3K clone, in pistol form).

I SBRed it, thinking it was going to be annoying and I'll just sit on it for my collection, and maybe a 308 trunk gun. Before SBRing it, shot 60 or so rounds through it, thought "Hey, this isn't terrible"...

Fast forward; stamp came back, I put on a stock and bought an RCM #17/36 degree locking piece, specifically so I could run it with a 30 cal can on it. RCM of course made it to a weird spec, so even with the smallest rollers that money could buy, bolt gap was a tiny, tiny, tiny bit out of spec (on the large side). But, figuring it would settle in and the bolt gap would shrink with use, I loaded up a bunch of mags and went to the range anyway.

Pain. All those things everyone says about HKs beating the crap out of your shoulder? True, if the bolt gap is not in spec. To put it another way, 40 rounds on a compressed timetable through a 1903A3 was less painful than 10 rounds of 308 through this thing. I gave up and swapped the original locking piece and rollers back in and verified bolt gap. Wow...it's a soft shooter. And double wow, it actually cycles correctly with a can on it anyway; ejection is just about the same as without a can.

It's now probably my favorite 308 to bang around on. Until that moment, my favorite 30 cal gun was either one of my FALs, or my SCAR-H. I don't take those to the range anymore..

Admittedly I haven't really beat on it very much with a can affixed yet, so I don't know if it's going to develop roller dimples. I'm probably going to try another #17 locking piece, just to see if the first one was just garbage by itself..

Clusterfrack
05-14-2020, 03:25 PM
CZ P-07: especially with a CGW ProGrade kit and a #13 hammer spring. It fits me like a glove, and shoots like a much larger and heavier gun.

Ruger LCP: because I expected maximum suckage from this cheapass little thing. Instead, I found that in my hands, it shoots far better than it has any right to. I was able to put down a pretty decent set of Gabe White drills (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?22600-Gabe-White-Standards&p=637977&viewfull=1#post637977) with it.

Glock 43: my older daughter is really tiny, and cannot shoot a Glock 19 without inducing FTFs. She has zero problems with the G43, even WHO. She can run the 43 like a boss.

JDD
In the spirit of the recent disappointing and meh threads: have you every been surprised by a gun being a lot better than you ever imagined?

A few for me:

Glock 44: I expected this to be a typical .22 dog. I now have nearly 4000 rounds through it and 11 stoppages. This is with all sorts of ammo and I hardly keep it clean. Mean rounds between failure is 362, which is killer as far as I am concerned for a .22, and the thing is just fun as hell to shoot.

HK VP9: This is a strange pistol that seems to elevate my skill level instantly to 110% of what I am currently capable of.

Ruger Blackhawk .357: Wait, it doesn't have to be painful to shoot .357? This is pleasant even.

Just about any rifle: You mean I can align the sights and just get hit after hit at 100 yards on steel? Rifles are the easy button for a pistol shooter.

The Glock 19M.

I was really holding out for the 320 in the FBI trial. I was a huge Sig fan (long after they no longer deserved it), and I was really comfortable with my 226 and 229. The more trigger time and reps I do with the Glock, the more sold I am on the platform.

Baldanders
Ended up with an XDM40 as a gift. Being that it was a gift I ran the shit out of it. It was my interim gun between 1911's and going to Glock. Ran that pistol in two RedBack One classes with zero issues. Even won a patch as the most accurate shooter in one of those classes. Shot thousands of rounds with it in local steel challenge shoots and practical pistol shoots. I replace the firing pin retainer roll pin with a better one and that's the only maintenance I've done with it. Not a single failure with it at any point. I am way more accurate with it than my Glocks, but not necessarily faster. I ran it at a time when everybody said they were shit, and still keep running it even though I know they're supposed to be shit.

My dad's XD didn't get the message that it was supposed to be shit either. I can't say it has seen the workout yours has. He has a 9mm compact, and it feels great. And shoots great. Less felt recoil and muzzle rise than a G19 for me.

okie john
05-14-2020, 03:31 PM

A few for me:

VP9: limited aftermarket but astonishing otherwise and cheap for an HK.

Gen5 G19: the issues I had with early Gen3 G19s are all gone. HK-level accuracy plus the immense Glock aftermarket.

S&W K-22: exceeds my expectations every time I shoot one.

Remington 700 ADL Package Rifle in 308: I expected it to be one step above a junker, but it's well balanced for offhand shooting and very accurate. According to people who use them for customs, Remington's move to Alabama means that these guns are now built on new CNC machines so they don't need most of the truing required to get them squared away before.

Ruger Bisley in 44 Magnum and 45 Colt: soaks up recoil like crazy. Bowen sights and a trigger job make them world-class.

Tikka T3 in 308: the one I had was as accurate as the M-24s that I shot in the military.

Okie John

gomerpyle
05-14-2020, 03:40 PM
VP9: This is a strange pistol that seems to elevate my skill level instantly to 110% of what I am currently capable of.

VP9: limited aftermarket but astonishing otherwise and cheap for an HK.

Couldn't agree more. A stupid accurate pistol that requires less input to shoot exceedingly well. Early in my shooting days I had attended a 5 day string of LAV courses. The first four days I had shot all sorts of misses, earned his derision, and was ready to throw in the towel and just skip the final day, his Marksmanship Course. A classmate had kindly loaned me his VP9, and from the start was hitting the black on the B8 from 20 yards. It was just the boost I needed.....

rd62
05-14-2020, 03:53 PM
S&W Sigma .40 - this was my first handgun and I purchased it when I turned 21. They had just come out. Got my CWP with it. This was late 90's. It wasn't until I'd sold it a few years later for a Beretta that I learned how many issues some people had with them. I never experienced a stoppage of any kind.

Arsenal SGL21 - my first AK. I'd previously only fired a buddies WASR. I'd heard good reviews about Aresnal and when the SGL21 came out I jumped at the chance to buy a Russian made AK. I believe I paid $400. I was not prepared for how nicely manufactured it would be nor how accurate. I shot it almost exclusively for a year or two when 5.56 had all but dried up. Prob around an Obama election. Sold it for $1k a few years later when money was tight and I needed some cash. Circle 10 mags, ultimak gas tube, US Palm pistol grip. My biggest gun sale regret.

Two a degree Glocks, particularly my G19 and G17. I was a late adopter and resisted until issued a G22. I found it worked very well for me, was inexpensive, and very reliable, and I loved mag interchangeability! I first bought a trade in Gen 3 G17 and then a trade-in G19. They have been my carry, competition, and home defense handguns ever since. Total round count is unknown since they were trade-ins but I've put thousands and thousands of rounds through both and the only failures have either been ammo or my big thumbs riding the slide stop.

Tac Sol Glock .22 conversion - I got so into Glocks that a few years ago I built a dedicated .22lr from a complete G17 lower and Tacsol top end. It took a minute to settle on Blazer or Remington Yellow Jacket ammo but running those, it runs great and is quite accurate. I use it for my kids and other new shooters to learn on and cleaning consists of an occasional wipe down and some lube. It has run surprisingly well!

Robinson
05-14-2020, 03:56 PM
Colt 1911 Classic 38 Super. Basic GI format, and plain black sights with some orange paint on the front.

My copy is a joy to shoot. No malfunctions over the course of about 1000 rounds so far, plenty accurate, and fun. I wouldn't hesitate to carry it. Mine shoots right along with the more expensive Gold Cup National Match I have in the same caliber.

okie john
05-14-2020, 04:17 PM
Couldn't agree more. A stupid accurate pistol that requires less input to shoot exceedingly well. Early in my shooting days I had attended a 5 day string of LAV courses. The first four days I had shot all sorts of misses, earned his derision, and was ready to throw in the towel and just skip the final day, his Marksmanship Course. A classmate had kindly loaned me his VP9, and from the start was hitting the black on the B8 from 20 yards. It was just the boost I needed.....

This!

I've shot 100/10x on The Test within par time using a VP9 enough times to know it's not a fluke. I just wish it was a bit smaller....

Okie John

gomerpyle
05-14-2020, 04:23 PM
100/10x on The Test within par time using a VP9 enough times to know it's not a fluke.

Okie John

Normally i'd think BS, but the VP9 ain't no joke (and of course Ive read AArs detailing how fine a shooter you are!). Finely tuned 1911 accuracy. LAV called it the p210 of the striker fired world. What's more, he thought 20 yards was the maximum effective distance for most striker fired pistols attempting hits on the B8 black. he said the VP9 is an exception - 25 yards for the VP9, which is tuned 1911 territory. and he coined the phrase trigger dynamics to describe the overall excellence of the trigger.

For that matter, LAV is never at a loss for words:)

Doc_Glock
05-14-2020, 04:36 PM
Resnipered Mosin 91/30 with a PU scope. The rifle, which apparently had been chosen by random, had once been an issue sniper rifle. As a result, the trigger is very nice. I took two teenagers (who later went Army) shooting with it and some other rifles, including a Savage Mk.II .22, a Krag, a Springfield, a Garand, and a Interarms Mauser (.30-06). They shot everything, but they kept going back to the Mosin. They shot that enough to bubble the finish on the handguard.

Desnipered Mosin 91/30 PEM. By the time I bought this one, I had some idea what to look for. This rifle had the welded plug that indicated that it once held a PEM mount. It's accurate, has a pristine bore and a good trigger. I put a Mojo peep sight into it. If I was going out on a hunt in shitty weather, I'd take this rifle. The price of the rifle was the same as all the others in the bin ($125).

I got a 1943 Mosin for like $80 and some surplus ammo. I inspected it and was totally underwhelmed with the quality of the machining etc. The design looks positively primitive. Took it out to shoot and was ringing 8" steel at 100 yards from the very first shot. Plus it was pleasant to shoot full power rifle ammo with. That impressed me. Definitely over delivered.

Doc_Glock
05-14-2020, 04:39 PM
Ruger LCP: because I expected maximum suckage from this cheapass little thing. Instead, I found that in my hands, it shoots far better than it has any right to. I was able to put down a pretty decent set of Gabe White drills (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?22600-Gabe-White-Standards&p=637977&viewfull=1#post637977) with it.

They shoot absolutely fantastic. I just can't get mine trustworthy. Shipping one back to Ruger tomorrow.

Doublestack45
05-14-2020, 04:39 PM
A Gen4 Glock 26 I purchased new around 2012. Never a bobble in function and aside from a slower reload than the 19 I carry, just a phenomenal shooting smaller gun.
And yes, I like the finger grooves.

okie john
05-14-2020, 04:53 PM
Normally i'd think BS, but the VP9 ain't no joke (and of course Ive read AArs detailing how fine a shooter you are!). Finely tuned 1911 accuracy. LAV called it the p210 of the striker fired world. What's more, he thought 20 yards was the maximum effective distance for most striker fired pistols attempting hits on the B8 black. he said the VP9 is an exception - 25 yards for the VP9, which is tuned 1911 territory. and he coined the phrase trigger dynamics to describe the overall excellence of the trigger.

For that matter, LAV is never at a loss for words:)

Thanks for the kind words.

In a Glock-heavy class with Larry, he shortened the distance for the Humbler to 17 yards because he said that course of fire had been written for match-tuned 1911s.

It's interesting to contrast how LAV and Pat McNamara approach accuracy. Both demand that you make the par score but if you have trouble doing that, then LAV brings the target closer while Mac extends the time.

Okie John

Arbninftry
05-14-2020, 05:05 PM
CZ P-01, I never owned one. Then I found an Omega model, took it home and thinking about a third one. It went to Cajun and came back phenomenal.

Olim9
05-14-2020, 05:06 PM
The Glock 48

My Glock 19 I carried in various Dark Star holsters for years began to be VERY uncomfortable. To the point where I was at my job and went to my car to take my gun apart and toss it in there. Something had to change and at the time, the 48 was only out for a couple of months, I never gave it any thought until then. Struggled shooting it at first but once I put a red dot on it, I was able to shoot almost as well as a 19. Carrying it is a breeze and now that there’s aftermarket 15 round mags for it, I can have the same capacity as I once did.

The gun itself is reliable, no malfunctions apart from a short period of time where racking the slide to feed an empty gun would feed a round, but sometimes leave the gun with a dead trigger. It has went away and hasn’t happened all year but now that it reminds me, I should get it checked out by Glock...The slimline Glocks from my observations have stupidly stout ejection which I like a lot.

Easily my favorite Glock and my favorite handgun I’ve ever owned and carried.

ccmdfd
05-14-2020, 05:16 PM
1. Glock 42.

It's the only. 380 I still own, because it's easy to shoot and comfortable, as opposed to every metal framed 380 I've tried.

2. P7, M8 and PSP, to a lesser degree M13.

I still shoot more accurately with these compared to all of my more modern designs.

cc

KeeFus
05-14-2020, 05:24 PM
Glock 45 (9mm :D).

Hands down the best Glock. Very concealable and accurate with the capacity of a full size Glock 17. I like the Gen 5 orange followers and the slightly flared mag well. When I first got the 45 I was indifferent on the front cocking serrations but I’ve grown to like them.

IMHO, this is the best Glock on the market, especially for a LE duty gun.

Half Moon
05-14-2020, 06:05 PM
My first S&W 1917 .45 ACP revolver. Bought it from a pawn shop for about a C-Note and cheap was the main attraction. Corroded and fouled bore, more bare metal than bluing, old Pachmayrs that might have had something chew on them or maybe it was a mild road rash. Also though, still a tight lockup, a smooth clean double action, and about a 2.5 pound glass rod breaking single action. That dog could shoot like no handgun I've fired before or since. Too stupid to know what I had, it went gone as a partial trade for something less... grungy. I've owned other 1917's since that are prettier but nothing as cheat code accurate.

NEF Handi-Rifle .45-70. Again the attraction was CHEAP (cheap was my budget a long time) and .45-70. I recall it was about $130 new from Shotgun News. Light and short it kicked like a 12 Gauge but maybe a bit more punch than shove. All said it was about a 3/4 MOA or better rifle with open sights at a hundred yards. Sigh! Another one I wish wasn't gone. Needed money to finance a move and didn't have room to pack much to boot...

Trooper224
05-14-2020, 06:20 PM
M1 Carbine: bad mouthed the greatest generations pea shooter for decades. Then, I finally bought one and discovered what a handy little thing it really is. From a personal protection standpoint one could do far worse.

Beretta 92: again, hated on it for decades in my ignorance, until I bought one. I then realized what a great gun it really is. Currently, if I found myself going I to the worlds dark places it would be the handgun I'd take with me.

Walther PP , .32acp. : what a vastly different gun than its smaller brethren in .380. Far better in handling, accuracy and above all, reliability. If I absolutely had to make due with a pocket gun this one just might be it.

Smith & Wesson 4506: thought it was cool back in the day but couldn't afford it. Forgot about it for years before finally snagging one. I bought it solely out of nostalgia, but it's accuracy and reliability have impressed. We're made for each other and right now it's my favorite shooter.

Clusterfrack
05-14-2020, 06:23 PM
They shoot absolutely fantastic. I just can't get mine trustworthy. Shipping one back to Ruger tomorrow.

I guess I've been lucky. Mine is an LCP 1 Gen2. I haven't had a single failure in over 500 rounds. I put in a Wolf #13 recoil spring set, and a Tandemkross anti-walk takedown pin.

Sero Sed Serio
05-14-2020, 06:26 PM
Glock 42: I love this little gun! It's ridiculously easy to shoot, ridiculously fun to shoot, I shoot it well, and I've literally carried it in pajamas. I bought it as a niche gun, and it serves its purpose well; I just wasn't expecting to enjoy shooting it as much as I do.

revolvergeek
05-14-2020, 06:33 PM
Mostly little pop-guns for me here:

Beretta 92D Centurion; just a shooting machine. Like a 15 shot revolver. Never jams, never complains, just works. Have witnesses that watched me make many repeated hits on a head sized rock at about 105 yards. I don't know why I just don't sell everything else and just carry this one all the time.

Cz45 6.35mm; what all .25 autos hope to grow up to be. Bigger than a Baby Browning, but so flat and easy to shoot it isn't funny. The groove in the slide works better than you would think.

S&W MP22 Compact; so far with CCI standard velocity and Mini Mags it has never jammed. Just keeps shooting.

Walther PP .32 acp; ditto earlier comments in this thread. Nice to shoot and boringly reliable.

flyrodr
05-14-2020, 06:48 PM
OK, I'll say it. The Sig P365. With my size/dress/environment, I can't carry a full-size gun concealed, at least comfortably. I have a couple of small 1911s that I could, and that are reliable, including a 9mm New Agent that Ned Christiansen put some real sights on, as well as making a few other mods - - - a really nice gun. But, I also shoot much better with a red dot, and didn't want to butcher one of my 1911s. So I bought a P365, with no small amount of trepidation given the then-current P320 issues. It functioned fine, and shot about as accurately as I could see the irons. I had Mark Housel install a Shield RMS, and now it's been a nice, reliable carry gun.

Totem Polar
05-14-2020, 06:49 PM
Ruger LCR, for reasons that Chris noted.

Henry .22 mag pump. If I had to only have one gun, ever, this might be it. Didn’t see that one coming.

Kimber K6S: the Kimber that actually works *better* than many competitors.

Rock River Poly. Wait, wut? A Polymer 1911? It’s actually killer.

Springer Mil-Spec. How come this gun hasn’t put Taurus out of business, all by itself?

okie john
05-14-2020, 08:16 PM
It was fun contributing to this thread but continuing to read it could cost me a fortune.

Maybe several fortunes.

Okie John

okie john
05-14-2020, 08:20 PM
M1 Carbine: bad mouthed the greatest generations pea shooter for decades. Then, I finally bought one and discovered what a handy little thing it really is. From a personal protection standpoint one could do far worse.

Check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF0qH_zvfdU

Ken says that guys who used them in combat shit-canned the mags after every mission and went with brand-new ones.

Okie John

critter
05-14-2020, 08:23 PM
VP9SK - I like it so much I bought the company... [he's lying]

I'm seriously looking forward to the HK competition to the P365... it'll be out 5 years later with an initial flush fit capacity of 9+1... then 6 years after that, the new flush mags will go to 11.

Trooper224
05-14-2020, 08:26 PM
Check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF0qH_zvfdU

Ken says that guys who used them in combat shit-canned the mags after every mission and went with brand-new ones.

Okie John

Yes, I've seen that and I agree. They're some of the flimsiest mags I've ever dealt with. Given that I don't anticipate hitting the beach at Tarawa, or jumping out over Normandy, it's of limited concern.

ldunnmobile
05-14-2020, 08:32 PM
Glock 42: I love this little gun! It's ridiculously easy to shoot, ridiculously fun to shoot, I shoot it well, and I've literally carried it in pajamas. I bought it as a niche gun, and it serves its purpose well; I just wasn't expecting to enjoy shooting it as much as I do.

Same.

Joe in PNG
05-14-2020, 08:35 PM
My CZ Evo. Man, I love that thing!
My Colt 6920. Also a love.

GJM
05-14-2020, 08:48 PM
Glock 43X
VP9
Sig Rattler and everything else I have in .300 BLK
My Brockman pre-64 Model 70 .300WM

okie john
05-14-2020, 08:58 PM
Glock 43X
VP9
Sig Rattler and everything else I have in .300 BLK
My Brockman pre-64 Model 70 .300WM

I'd guess that anything Brockman worked over could easily fall into this category.

Okie John

cornstalker
05-14-2020, 08:59 PM
Glock 42
Glock 19x
Sig P365xl
BCM Recce 14
Bergara B14 HMR
Bergara B14 Ridge

All of these exceeded my expectations for them handily.

lwt16
05-14-2020, 09:04 PM
Glock 45 (9mm :D).

Hands down the best Glock. Very concealable and accurate with the capacity of a full size Glock 17. I like the Gen 5 orange followers and the slightly flared mag well. When I first got the 45 I was indifferent on the front cocking serrations but I’ve grown to like them.

IMHO, this is the best Glock on the market, especially for a LE duty gun.

Agree. I’m really liking mine. Should have 3000 rounds on it soon.

The G17.4 it replaced has impressed me also.

Fifty yards is nothing for that pistol. Defoor sights and Talon grips are the only thing not stock.

Great pistols.

Regards.

45dotACP
05-14-2020, 09:16 PM
I shot a SigPro 2340 that was considerably better than any p226 or P229. The trigger was incredible, the accuracy was incredible, it was unstoppable...I really don't know how Sig didn't sell a boatload of them or the 2022s.

I've never shot a gun more accurately than a Smith and Wesson Model 57 with an 8 3/8" barrel. I basically think of it like a small PDW. It's also capable of running incredibly hot loads with no pain at all. I've flattened primers in rounds that were comfortable to shoot. I took a 12 year old kid and had him ringing an 8 inch plate at 50 yards with his first shots.

The RRA Polymer 1911 is badass.

I was also highly surprised by how good my Springfield RO is in terms of accuracy.

And I'm gonna eat a little crow because I mentioned how I was disappointed in Glocks, but I should have clarified that I meant 9mm Glocks.

Because outside of some well executed 1911s, the most accurate .45 I've ever shot was a Glock 21. It's insane how accurate the .45 Glocks are. If anything it's why the 9mm Glocks disappointed me so much. I expected that same level of accuracy and never ever saw it.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

okie john
05-14-2020, 09:26 PM
I've never shot a gun more accurately than a Smith and Wesson Model 57 with an 8 3/8" barrel. I basically think of it like a small PDW. It's also capable of running incredibly hot loads with no pain at all. I've flattened primers in rounds that were comfortable to shoot. I took a 12 year old kid and had him ringing an 8 inch plate at 50 yards with his first shots.

You can't buy skill but you can buy an 8 3/8" Smith. They shoot like rifles because they have roughly the same sight radius as a 10/22 or a Winchester 94.

Okie John

ranger
05-14-2020, 09:26 PM
Tikka T3X Varmint 223 1-8. Very nice shooting rifle for attractive price.

RevolverRob
05-14-2020, 09:40 PM
The CZ SP01. That gun is YUGE a buddy bought one, and we’re at the range and I’m teasing him about his new boat anchor. He hands me a couple of mags and the gun and says, “Run the plate rack.” The rack was our buddy’s sub-gun plate rack, which generally required two rapid hits with a 9mm to drop the plate. I lined up at 10 yards and cleaned the rack faster than I’d ever shot it with a pistol, almost as fast as a full auto. Then I did it again and again and again and again...

I really should buy an SP01 and maybe a P01. Dat Urban Grey Omega P01 is pretty hot.

HK MP5 - It’s like the most boring gun on the planet to shoot, because it works, puts bullets where you want them and works. But because it works really well, you can do retarded level shooting things with it, without thinking.

The Smith Airweight J-Frame in .38, pick your model. All of them should suck. All of them. Light, short, nasty little bitches with recoil, odd shapes that aren’t ergonomic, shitty sights. Yet, I’ve not had one yet that couldn’t shoot <2” at 25, or didn’t work. Sure, my hand might go numb after 50 full power rounds, but for the first 20 rounds it’s fine. I only ever carry one reload anyways. It’s a dumb gun that is antiquated and should be completely supplanted by modern pieces. And yet...they aren’t.

TGS
05-14-2020, 10:05 PM
Daniel Defense Mk18.

Mainly because I read for years on the internet about how Mk18s are unreliable, break often, and recoil harsher than 11.5 guns.

So far they've been extremely reliable and have felt recoil on par with a .22 Magnum, or similar to my BCM 14.5" midlengths I previously owned. The older Mod 0/CQBR we have recoils more like an M4, but the DD is a ridiculously sweet shooting piece. The biggest thing that has impacted their parts breakages is the cleaning regimen. When our weapons repairmen were able to convince the firearms instructors to stop making students scrape the shit out of parts ala military style (many of our FTU instructors being prior .mil), our parts breakages went from "these guns have a habit to breaking" to "these guns never break".

Guinnessman
05-15-2020, 08:21 AM
When the VP9 came out, I bought two in anticipation that it was the Glock killer. After the Gen 4 ejection/extraction problems I felt good about ditching my Gen 3 and 4 Glocks.

Fast forward to 2019 (Wish we could go back:p), I started to dabble with some Gen 5 Glocks in the rental case. Since then I have bought a couple G45’s and 19’s. Color me impressed.

The accuracy of the Gen 5 is on par with the P30 and VP9. The reliability has been “Glock Perfection,” and the ejection is strong and consistent.

I like the lack of finger grooves on the grip, and the beavertail back straps are a great option.

For the price, I don’t think one can beat the value of a Gen 5 Glock with Bold sights for defensive purposes. With a Blue Label price of $476 or civilian price of around $620, there is not a better option for the price IMHO.

Kyle Reese
05-15-2020, 08:50 AM
Gen 5 GLOCKs- They've surpassed my expectations in every way. I was never fully satisfied with the Gen 4's, and tolerated them, but the Gen 5 exhibited a marked improvement in accuracy and durability. Also, the flared mag well, redesigned striker block and the improved trigger / takedown springs make the Gen 5 the obvious choice for me. They're the best guns that GLOCK has ever produced.

MAS 49/56- Bought this gun many moons ago and was immediately impressed with the quality of the build, its simplicity, reliability and just overall being a rock solid rifle. I think I paid $350 for the thing with four mags, a bayonet and an accessory kit. In the late 1990's, the only available ammo for it was French military surplus, with very sporadic availability. Like a fool, I sold it, and regret doing so to this day.

MGW
05-15-2020, 09:26 AM
Sig P220 I’m a long time fan of P220’s. Accuracy on par with a custom 1911 and even better reliability. How an aluminum frame 45 works that well I’ll never know.

Glock 43x It’s the best shooting small pistol I’ve ever owned. One day I’ll spring for Shield magazines. 15 rounds in a gun that small just doesn’t seem possible.

Glock 44 It’s the best shooting most user friendly 22 I’ve ever owned period. It’s so much fun to shoot. I take it to the range every time I go now. Only 1000 rounds through it so far but it has a permanent home. The fact that it’s compatible with standard Glock sights and holsters is a huge bonus. I think Glock hit it out of the park. I would love to see them make a 43x or 48 size 22 next.

Glock G45. Here’s the thing. I don’t like Glocks. But they have it figured out with Gen 5’s. Other companies claim to be modular but Glock still does it better. I hate them less than I use to.

Casual Friday
05-15-2020, 09:28 AM
Daniel Defense Mk18.

Mainly because I read for years on the internet about how Mk18s are unreliable, break often, and recoil harsher than 11.5 guns.

So far they've been extremely reliable and have felt recoil on par with a .22 Magnum, or similar to my BCM 14.5" midlengths I previously owned. The older Mod 0/CQBR we have recoils more like an M4, but the DD is a ridiculously sweet shooting piece. The biggest thing that has impacted their parts breakages is the cleaning regimen. When our weapons repairmen were able to convince the firearms instructors to stop making students scrape the shit out of parts ala military style (many of our FTU instructors being prior .mil), our parts breakages went from "these guns have a habit to breaking" to "these guns never break".

It's hard to explain the difference between the OG DD MK18 uppers with the blown out gas port and the newer models with the crane spec gas port to someone who hasn't used both. The best way I know to describe the OG MK18 is imagine shooting a suppressed gun with tons of gas blow back in your face, except you're not shooting suppressed.

Manbearspider
05-15-2020, 09:31 AM
Beretta PX4 Compact: Didn't like looking at it, made a face when I picked it up (wasn't a huge fan of the ergonomics or the lack of texture), and then I shot it.... I was very confused. Smoother and flatter than any similar sized gun I'd ever shot at that point (PPQ, M11A1, G19, P30), and I was stacking rounds on top of each other better than I did with my EDC at the time. Needless to say I had an order in at Robar for a Compact Carry MOD 4 (back when they were doing those with LTT) within a week. That thing pulled dual duty for a while as an IDPA rig and my EDC (now its just EDC), and it changes hearts and minds every time someone new to the platform shoots it.

critter
05-15-2020, 09:39 AM
Glock 44 It’s the best shooting most user friendly 22 I’ve ever owned period. It’s so much fun to shoot. I take it to the range every time I go now. Only 1000 rounds through it so far but it has a permanent home. The fact that it’s compatible with standard Glock sights and holsters is a huge bonus. I think Glock hit it out of the park. I would love to see them make a 43x or 48 size 22 next. .

Of course with the caveat -- the 'squeaky wheels' make the most internet noise... How has the reliability been for you? Which ammo(s) have you run? Have their been revisions?

Seems there were issues with it running through entire mags without hiccups. I have experience with only one (not mine) but couldn't get it to run even Mini Mags which generally run well in most anything. Seems there's a bit of noise about this 'issue' on the net.

MGW
05-15-2020, 09:51 AM
Of course with the caveat -- the 'squeaky wheels' make the most internet noise... How has the reliability been for you? Which ammo(s) have you run? Have their been revisions?

Seems there were issues with it running through entire mags without hiccups. I have experience with only one (not mine) but couldn't get it to run even Mini Mags which generally run well in most anything. Seems there's a bit of noise about this 'issue' on the net.

I’m not aware of any noise on the net about G44’s. Mine just runs. Everything I’ve put through it has been cheap bulk pack 38 grain and 40 grain standard velocity.

Doc_Glock
05-15-2020, 11:24 AM

Mine is ridiculously reliable with nearly ten brands of ammo. If I clean it even more so. Seven stoppages in 3875 rounds. Add four more stoppages with crap ammo. I don’t have a lot of rimfire experience but my G44 has way over delivered. Everyone loves to shoot it.

Duelist
05-15-2020, 11:46 AM
Sig P220 I’m a long time fan of P220’s. Accuracy on par with a custom 1911 and even better reliability. How an aluminum frame 45 works that well I’ll never know.

Glock 43x It’s the best shooting small pistol I’ve ever owned. One day I’ll spring for Shield magazines. 15 rounds in a gun that small just doesn’t seem possible.

Glock 44 It’s the best shooting most user friendly 22 I’ve ever owned period. It’s so much fun to shoot. I take it to the range every time I go now. Only 1000 rounds through it so far but it has a permanent home. The fact that it’s compatible with standard Glock sights and holsters is a huge bonus. I think Glock hit it out of the park. I would love to see them make a 43x or 48 size 22 next.

Glock G45. Here’s the thing. I don’t like Glocks. But they have it figured out with Gen 5’s. Other companies claim to be modular but Glock still does it better. I hate them less than I use to.

Obviously, since 3/4 guns you mentioned are Glocks...

Kinda in the same boat. Gadget helped me get over it, but so did actually shooting them.

TGS
05-15-2020, 11:54 AM
I’m not aware of any noise on the net about G44’s.

As someone that isn't interested in buying a .22 pistol, the one and only thing I remember from all the fanfare when it hit the market was G44 slides spontaneously disassembling when fired.

So, from the outside looking in, I'd say there's lots of noise on the net about the G44. It was discussed greatly on this very forum, IIRC.

1911Nut
05-15-2020, 12:29 PM
CZ 75 SP01 Shadows. I have three of the full sized ones and one Compact and love everyone of them. Easiest pistols to shoot of any I have tried, with virtually no functionality issues except early on, and those were quickly and inexpensively resolved by replacing magazine springs with +10 springs and having the barrel throat very slightly reamed in two of them.

And I have a RAMI 2075 and a 97B that I like almost as much, although I have shot them considerably less than the Shadows.

Tuning by CZ Custom and Cajun Gun Works has GREATLY contributed to my fondness for these pistols.

Evil_Ed
05-15-2020, 12:47 PM
CZ 75 SP01 Shadows. I have three of the full sized ones and one Compact and love everyone of them. Easiest pistols to shoot of any I have tried, with virtually no functionality issues except early on, and those were quickly and inexpensively resolved by replacing magazine springs with +10 springs and having the barrel throat very slightly reamed in two of them.

And I have a RAMI 2075 and a 97B that I like almost as much, although I have shot them considerably less than the Shadows.

Tuning by CZ Custom and Cajun Gun Works has GREATLY contributed to my fondness for these pistols.

Oo, thanks for mentioning that!

I picked up a 97BD expecting to be "whelmed". Not overwhelmed, not underwhelmed, just welmed. I mean, it's a 10 round doublestack in a world where 12-13 round doublestack 45s exist, so why?

...then I shot it. And holy cow. I really like it. Super soft shooting, and I really mean that. If you didn't know it was a 45, you wouldn't guess that's what it was. Then I noticed that at ranges my usual favorite 45s was barely grouping, it was punching one big golfball-sized hole instead..and that, with a "loose" barrel bushing (when it's as tight as it will go while still letting the spring guide lock it in place, I can push the bushing around with my finger; tilt it up, down, etc). I put in the CGW Ultra-light kit (firing pin, spring, and I think 13lb? hammer spring) and the pull is super smooth and nice now. DA is around 7.5lb, SA is around 3.5 give or take, and that's with just a spring swap. (Truth be told I DID get lucky in that the internals were pretty well done to begin with; not all CZs are that smooth out of the gate)

The grip is actually verging on too slim for me with the factory thin aluminum grips, but with the factory thick rubber panels it fits me much better. The only other change I made was to swap in the older 85 Combat-style trigger (trigger curve isn't as pronounced).

My only real complaint is that because it has such a wobbly bushing, with a threaded barrel (Barsto makes them) and can on it, all that extra weight out front really moves the POI around from shot to shot. Which means I need to send it to CGW for a 1911 bushing retrofit, anyway. Oh, darn.

If anyone's looking for a very soft recoiling 45 with at least 10 round capacity in a DA/SA format...I would highly, highly recommend the 97. It's not a small gun, but man does it shoot. I believe Patrick Kelley had a video on one, box to range and I think he had some pretty good accuracy results as well.

farscott
05-15-2020, 01:08 PM
Here are my good surprises.

1) Glock 37 (.45 GAP version of the G17). For me, by far, the best grouping Glock. Every one I have tried puts ten rounds into than two inches at twenty-five yards with any ammo I have tried. I have been told the G38 and G39 are the same, but I have limited experience with either of those.

2) Glock 26. The little gun is capable of surprising accuracy and is easier to shoot than it should be.

3) Remington 552. I am blown away by the fact that this autoloading rifle can shoot .22 Short and .22 LR with no component changes or adjustments. It even cycles 40-grain CCI Quiet loads at 710 fps. It is a darn nice small-game rifle albeit a bit long for my tastes. One of these used is a lot of rifle for the money. Mine with an 3-8X scope mounted was $275. Used 10/22 examples with a decent piece of wood are more and the old Remington bluing is much superior to any bluing Ruger has ever done.

Old Virginia
05-15-2020, 02:45 PM
Love shooting Pocket guns. The Beretta Pico has run more rounds through it than 4 of the most popular that I have owned. The Beretta Nano is about as tough as any gun I have seen in it's class. And a mild shooter. About 14,000 rds through one of them and own two more. Best purchase I have made in decades.

Rex G
05-15-2020, 03:36 PM
Ruger GP100. Stainless. 4” full-lug barrel, adjustable sights, original-style rubber grip, with wood inserts. My two samples, in this configuration, were made early enough to have grunge grooves under the extractor star. This original-pattern grip is absolutely perfect for my hands. I bought my first one, to be a general utility handgun, and plinker. It became so much more, to include a defensive shooting incident.

Long after I had “progressed” to auto-loading duty pistols, I still carried a 4” GP100, in a bag or case, while on patrol, to use for felony stops and barricaded suspects.

For some reason, the Safariland 070 duty holster, for the GP100 and Python, contained so much solid polymer, that it was much heavier than the same holster for K-Frames and 1911 pistols. So, toting a GP100 meant that I had a chronic purple-colored spot on my right hip, from 1993 to 1995, when a GP100 was my primary duty handgun. If not for the weight of this rig, I might have carried a GP100 on patrol, perhaps until I retired.

This revolver was a factor in my decision to stop carrying a AR15 patrol rifle, about 2004. The AR15 had to remain cased, in the trunk, until specific criteria existed, whereas we could Keep the shotgun and “back-up” handguns with/on/about our persons, and use them at our discretion. I sold the AR to a colleague, who had younger eyes.

I have several GP100 revolvers. As I type this, there is a 3” Wiley Clapp version next to me. It had been with me during a trip to the gas station, and to the take-out window of a restaurant, a short time ago.

Regarding the GP100, “It’ll do, to tide the river with.” (An old Southwestern lawman’s term; the “river” being the Rio Grande, a largely-lawless corridor, for past few centuries.

Wise_A
05-15-2020, 03:56 PM
2) Glock 26. The little gun is capable of surprising accuracy and is easier to shoot than it should be.

My carry still, despite that advent of smaller, slimmer guns with greater capacity (that I can't use anyway). For me, it's >95% of the performance of a 34/17/19 in a carry size.

WobblyPossum
05-15-2020, 04:15 PM
The Gen5 Glocks. For the most part, I’ve used a Glock of one sort of another as my primary handgun since I got my first handgun permit in 2010 (with a couple of short breaks to try something else here and there). I’ve never especially liked them but they worked and did what I needed them to do. They were like the Toyota Corolla of handguns. Then I tried the Gen5 guns: no finger grooves, nice triggers, really accurate, you could get them from the factory with Ameriglo sights, ambi slide stops, the deep black nDLC finish just looked good. They were still the Corolla of handguns but I actually liked them. I was happy to go out and shoot them. They fixed most of my complaints from the prior generations.

41magfan
05-15-2020, 04:31 PM
The lowly Ruger LCP ...... it punches far above its weight.

Split a CB target at 3 yards on the 2nd shot …. 1st shot was a skidder.
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/320x240q90/923/e9ntpi.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pne9ntpij)

Ed Head Concealed Carry Drill
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/320x240q90/924/zxZJjZ.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pozxZJjZj)
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/320x240q90/922/PfHfOe.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pmPfHfOej)

Step Back Drill SHO
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/320x240q90/923/jKwT3P.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pnjKwT3Pj)

Wizard Drill
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/320x240q90/921/jEbqtg.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pljEbqtgj)

5-Second Standard
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/320x240q90/924/2tZ6HB.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/po2tZ6HBj)

Modified Test at 10 yds
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/320x240q90/923/xrWrnJ.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pnxrWrnJj)
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/320x240q90/924/O7Wd0g.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/poO7Wd0gj)

Dot Torture at 5 yds (Clean)
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/320x240q90/633/MHNoYX.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/hlMHNoYXj)

5x5 Skill Test
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/320x240q90/537/7UaVla.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/ex7UaVlaj)

Bill Drill 2
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/320x240q90/661/GTMMLq.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/idGTMMLqj)

frozentundra
05-15-2020, 05:08 PM
9mm S&W Shield

8 round mags loaded with 147 HST = 1911 type firepower with less recoil.

Easy to carry, great accuracy, and unbelievable durability/reliability. More aftermarket support than any other M&P product.

My kid can shoot it better than a G19 or M&P compact. She was making over 50% hits on a vertical 3x5 card at 18 yards last time out. I was having a hard time trying to out-shoot her with my G19. This is going to become a major source of embarrassment soon! Which I love!

They sell for like $280 new.

Bucky
05-15-2020, 05:25 PM
EDC X9. I was expecting a high cap 1911 sans grip safety. The added innovations were a very pleasant surprise.

I’d say the Shadow 2, after I finally gave it a fair shake.

Clusterfrack
05-15-2020, 05:56 PM
I just got back from another excellent day of long-range rifle shooting in the Oregon Coast Range. As is always the case in this location, the wind was deceptive. This time there was a gusty upslope that required a holdunder of 0.3 to 0.5mil at 610 to 1355 yds. It ate our lunches because it was so hard to see. In case you're wondering, I'm getting to the gun that delivered way more than expected. Just setting the stage.

Our group's bolt guns were: two rifles in .260 Rem (one mine), one in .308, and one in 7mm SAUM. These guns are valued at $3k to over $5k, not counting scopes and suppressors. I also brought my 16" 6.5 Grendel AR-15 middy. This upper cost $650 from Alexander Arms.

On the 610 to 880yd targets (but not the 1350), I was able to hang with, and in some cases outshoot the bolt guns with the little Grendel gas gun. Some of the shots were center punch 1st and 2nd round hits, and I heard a buddy say "what the fuck?" when I did that on the 610yd 10" square.

It's hard to imagine any gun delivering more "more than expected".

Alexander Arms 16.5” midlength “Incursion” 6.5 Grendel upper.
Burris XTRii 3-15x50 on ADM Recon mount.
Palmetto rifle lower, Geissele SSA-E trigger. Seekins Procomp 10X stock. Weight: 9.5lbs w/o TBAC Ultra 7 6.5 suppressor.

rca90gsx
05-15-2020, 06:04 PM
Who did the barrel throwing for you? Though to find anyone to touch a CZ barrel!

FrankinCA
05-15-2020, 06:08 PM
Glock 17

nalesq
05-15-2020, 07:22 PM
Beretta 21A. For such a tiny gun with such crappy sights, I could not believe how accurate it was and how easy it was to get good hits with even out to 25m. At least in broad daylight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Crazy Dane
05-15-2020, 09:01 PM
For me it is a combination of gun and caliber in the Ruger GP100 .44 Special, 5 inch barrel. It has been a spark that renewed my gusto for shooting and reloading. I ordered a 3 inch model at the beginning of the year so I now have a pair. I don't enjoy .357 magnums and find the larger frame revolvers unwieldly so for me, this is the perfect match. I don't think there is anything that I might run in to the 250gr Keith bullet at 1200fps wont handle and I can take a bunny for dinner with a round ball load at 550fps and anything in between for everything else. I picked up the 5 inch after selling the Sig P320 that I referenced in the bad gun thread.

1911Nut
05-15-2020, 09:45 PM
Who did the barrel throwing for you? Though to find anyone to touch a CZ barrel!
KS Custom Guns (Kent Singletary) in Glendale, AZ throated the barrels. Took about 15 minutes. Easy-peasy.

The-Gears
05-16-2020, 04:19 AM
CZ P07/P09, Glock 45 & HK45c.

05-16-2020, 11:01 AM
SD9VE - Those guns are legit. I have run two and they stack up pretty well against everything else I have run.

Beretta Pico - Everyone hates it, it actually worked pretty well and has good sights for a pocket pistol. For a 100% pocket pistol, it would rate higher than the LCP in my book.

XD45 Compact - I felt dirty the whole time I had this thing, but it ran 100%, and was the “perfect“ size for a concealed handgun (same as G19). Kinda wish I still had it.

OlongJohnson
05-16-2020, 02:27 PM
For me it is a combination of gun and caliber in the Ruger GP100 .44 Special, 5 inch barrel.

I love the .357 Lipsey's. Have a few hundred .429 bullets sitting around and currently nothing .44 caliber to load them in. It would be stupid if I ended up with all three variants of that thing. At least they'd all work with the same leather.

SD9VE - Those guns are legit. I have run two and they stack up pretty well against everything else I have run.

I believed Tom_Jones' tales of goodness and bought one. The RSA spontaneously disassembled itself while sitting on my bench. Didn't find all the pieces for many months. Discovered that the striker was somehow bent like a banana and hitting the inside of the slide before exiting. Both of those were fixable, but the lousy machining in the firing pin safety bore that made it impossible to get a smooth trigger press would have cost more to fix than the gun cost to buy. Went down the road.

DMF13
05-16-2020, 02:50 PM
H&K P7M8: I had heard lots of good and bad about it, but always thought it was a little weird until I shot it. Nice trigger, the squeeze cock is a nice safety device. Yes it gets hot quickly, but it is a great shooting gun, that's good for self-defense carry. If love to see a modern squeeze dock version of the P7M13. If it could be done while fixing the heat issue, and at a price that isn't outrageous, if snap one up in a heartbeat.

Beretta 92: I hated them for years, as an M9 with typically crappy USAF CATM instruction was my introduction to handgun shooting. I blamed the gun for a long time, even after I got some excellent instruction on pistols. Then I shot a 92 again, and was amazed how much I liked the gun. Now I want a compact 92, and am constantly fighting the urge to get one. I would love to get this: https://www.langdontactical.com/92-elite-ltt-compact/ but can't justify the expense for a gun I can't carry.

MP5: Again, never had any real interest, they were falling out of favor when I got into LE, and so I didn't have opportunities to shoot one, and even passed on a chance to shoot one back in 2006. Then a couple years ago I had another chance and shot one, and then I understood why so many people liked them. I can't afford even a semi-auto one, but if prices were a little better I'd get one (or a clone) just for the rare occasion I might shoot a PCC match.

awp_101
05-22-2020, 11:11 AM
Ruger Precision Rimfire. I was interested when they came out then I started reading on a couple of forums about owners having to replace the barrels with Lilja, etc to get acceptable accuracy out of them. Of course I didn't know, or ask, what "acceptable accuracy" was to them but that's not important right now... Then I handled 2 several months apart and the bolts couldn't be run without sticking open unless they were handled juuuuust right. These were brand new rifles on display for sale. Finally I found one cheap enough and LNIB late last year to tempt me despite having low expectations. Not only is the bolt run easy peasy and smooth, it'll turn in 1" groups at 25 yards (which is about the limit of my ability right now) all day long with CCI standard velocity if I do my part. I can't ask much more of a rifle I picked up just for fun.

For me it is a combination of gun and caliber in the Ruger GP100 .44 Special, 5 inch barrel. It has been a spark that renewed my gusto for shooting and reloading. I ordered a 3 inch model at the beginning of the year so I now have a pair.
The 5" is high on my want list. Is there a significant difference in felt recoil (subjective, I know) between the 3" and 5"?

Alexander Arms 16.5” midlength “Incursion” 6.5 Grendel upper.
Burris XTRii 3-15x50 on ADM Recon mount.
Palmetto rifle lower, Geissele SSA-E trigger. Seekins Procomp 10X stock. Weight: 9.5lbs w/o TBAC Ultra 7 6.5 suppressor.
Is that stock PSA as well? I'm going to be building at least one more fixed stock rifle and that looks interesting.

Crazy Dane
05-22-2020, 11:28 AM
The 5" is high on my want list. Is there a significant difference in felt recoil (subjective, I know) between the 3" and 5"?

I put a set of stock Compact Ruger Grips on the 3" and I don't notice a difference until velocities get over 1000fps. I haven't tried a full size grip on the 3 but I think the weight of the 5" has more to do with felt recoil than grip size.

awp_101
05-22-2020, 12:09 PM
Thanks, I may expand my "wantsies" to the 3" as well.

ReverendMeat
05-22-2020, 07:49 PM
Walther PPQ in 9. Reliable (had I think 6k rounds through it with zero cleaning or lubrication before I sold it) and shot it better, accuracy and speed (personal best splits), than any other pistol I've had. Loved the paddle mag releases too. Sold it for reasons that had nothing to do with performance.

SIG SP2022. After my M11A1 experience I mentioned in the "pulsating handful of suck" thread I swore off SIG forever except I happened to get a good deal on a 2022, NIB for like 200. Did the 2k challenge with it, passed with zero issues and no sign of slowing down. The sights were set up retarded when it came to poa/poi but could still shoot the hell out of the thing over any other SIG I've shot, which is nearly all of them. Sold it for reasons that had nothing to do with performance.

These two in particular really made me question the whole idea that "bore axis" matters much at all.

Clusterfrack
05-22-2020, 10:52 PM
Is that stock PSA as well? I'm going to be building at least one more fixed stock rifle and that looks interesting.

Nope. The PSA A2 stock is in the trash. That's a Seekins 10X (https://www.seekinsprecision.com/procomp-10x.html). Really awesome, and not too heavy.

Suvorov
05-22-2020, 11:13 PM
I got two:

#1) The Beretta 92/M9 - I picked my first one up back when I was still and ROTC cadet and serving in the Wyoming Guard and shooting on the State Team. The State hadn't received any M9s yet so all my unit had in the way of pistols were old 1911s. Despite all the hate towards the Beretta I decided to buy one and get to know it. I quickly learned to love it (and realized that *most* of its haters were just blowhards that couldn't shoot the 1911 either) and it has been my favorite pistol for more than 20 years since. I'm right now saving my scheckles to buy another one.

#2) My Sig516 - I was firmly in the "No Piston Needed" camp (and still have zero issue with DI and recommend them to everyone wanting an AR). It was 2013 and I was convinced that in the post Sandy Hook world ARs were going to be banned so I set out to get me another AR rifle. I didn't have any spare cash (had a 2 year old and a newborn) but did have a HK USP45Tactical which I had been thinking about selling since they were off the roster in Kalifornia. I found a guy willing to trade a brand new Sig516 and a new EoTech for the HK and the deal was done. I figured I'd give the piston AR a go and inspired by Todd G's 2000 round test decided to shoot the gun with no cleaning and no lube for 2000 rounds. I got up around 1500 rounds with no issues when I realized that I'm not proving anything and decided to clean and lube the gun. Since then it has been running like a champ. I like its recoil impulse, it is as accurate as any AR other than my BCM SPR, and I trust in without hesitation. I honestly didn't expect much from it but it has become my primary carbine.

I guess the moral of the story here is to have low expectations.....

entropy
05-23-2020, 07:44 AM
Dunno how I missed this thread as long as I have. Some interesting listings.

Hands down for me it’s a Ruger SP101 snub. I purchased it with far less thought than other stuff in the safe, almost as an experiment. It’s turned into my primary carry gun, and has surpassed absolutely everything I ever expected out of it. Extremely accurate, has never once failed to go bang or even have the slightest of issues. Hands down the best firearm purchase I have ever made.

Schmidt-Rubin 1911 long rifle. If you’re talking esoteric now, here it is. Another gun that I picked up on a whim. Had a few bucks burning a hole in my pocket, was bored, and looking for something out of the ordinary to fiddle with. Turns out it makes sub-MOA groups with iron sights. The more I shot it, the more I couldn’t believe it. Ended up buying diopter sights for it. Now, even with 57year old eyes that require reading glasses to eat a damn sammich...it will make groups at 100yds that can be covered with a nickel. Not bad for something made when airplanes were wood and fabric and cars had spoked wheels.

I’ll throw an old pre war Winchester 94 in here too. I discovered why they are so iconic and to this day reside in more blue collar deer camps than most anything else.

awp_101
05-23-2020, 08:48 AM
Nope. The PSA A2 stock is in the trash. That's a Seekins 10X (https://www.seekinsprecision.com/procomp-10x.html). Really awesome, and not too heavy.
Thanks! I didn't think it looked like a PSA stock but I couldn't ID it either.

Catshooter
05-23-2020, 11:26 PM
Bought a box stock Glock 19 years and years ago. Used, gen 2 (no gen 3s yet). Serial # ML xxx. Normal Glock reliability and with Federal's 9mmBPLE it will put five shots into an inch at 25 yards. I see signs that someone who could really shoot could do better yet. Helluva pistol.

The ML run must have been special. I've seen a pic of one with factory stamped N - R, which stood for Normal Rifling. It has cut rifling instead of hammer-forged.

Cat