PDA

View Full Version : Anybody using a Kydex holster with a titanium cylinders cylinder?

Mini14jac
05-14-2020, 10:16 AM
I just added a titanium cylinder to my Aitweight.
Trying it out in a Concealment Express IWB holster, it seems like I’m getting scuff marks on the cylinder after just a few holsterings.

Anybody else using Kydex with a titanium cylinder?
Any issues?

Duelist
05-14-2020, 11:23 AM
I just added a titanium cylinder to my Aitweight.
Trying it out in a Concealment Express IWB holster, it seems like I’m getting scuff marks on the cylinder after just a few holsterings.

Anybody else using Kydex with a titanium cylinder?
Any issues?

I’ve gotten scuffs and scraping marks on an aluminum frame from a kydex holster. Don’t know if I’d do that with a titanium cylinder.

orionz06
05-14-2020, 11:55 AM
Is it tight, or are you just getting contact marks? If it's tight, that's a maker issue (potentially). If it's just marks, it's gonna happen. A rough(er) surface will have some material transfer from contact on the draw, no matter the clearance built into the holster.

Duelist
05-14-2020, 12:15 PM
Is it tight, or are you just getting contact marks? If it's tight, that's a maker issue (potentially). If it's just marks, it's gonna happen. A rough(er) surface will have some material transfer from contact on the draw, no matter the clearance built into the holster.

The gun is a beat up 642 with a lot of finish wear. The holster is a newer aholster backbone that has made some fresh marks on the front edge of the frame on either side, next to the barrel. Yeah, it’s gonna happen. A horsehide pocket holster wore through the finish on this gun. Whatever they did with the anodizing on this 2003 production jframe isn’t terribly durable.

orionz06
05-14-2020, 12:17 PM
You can wear through anodizing with gloves and use.

Mini14jac
05-14-2020, 03:37 PM

With mine the holster is a good fit.
It grips the gun by the trigger guard.
I think I’m just getting contact marks on the cylinder.
It’s possible (probable) that the titanium cylinder is actually removing a little material from the kydex.
And maybe I should try to not be so OCD.

JodyH
05-14-2020, 05:46 PM
I carried my 360 Sc/Ti in a PHLster City Special for a while, didn't cause any problems with the Ti cylinder.

camsdaddy
05-14-2020, 06:09 PM
The gun is a beat up 642 with a lot of finish wear. The holster is a newer aholster backbone that has made some fresh marks on the front edge of the frame on either side, next to the barrel. Yeah, it’s gonna happen. A horsehide pocket holster wore through the finish on this gun. Whatever they did with the anodizing on this 2003 production jframe isn’t terribly durable.

This is my performance center 642 that I carry in an Aholster.

Hideeho
05-14-2020, 06:24 PM
My experience with Ti cylinders, supported by postings here and other boards, indicates wear is more likely to occur from cleaning. Harsh solvents and brass or steel brushes will hurt Ti.

If holster surface material is a concern, I recommend buying a soft sided holster (nylon or other soft material) for range work. For safety you would not re-holster. Instead you would remove holster, then re-holster with revolver in holster.

An alternative, buy a 442 for range work and keep the Ti holstered unless you need it.

As always, YMMV.

Duelist
05-14-2020, 07:29 PM