PDA

View Full Version : RFI: Back Yard Concrete Project

okie john
05-12-2020, 01:30 PM
Ms. Okie wants to pour several slabs in the back yard. They’ll all be 3’ wide. Four or five will be 15’ long, and two will be 12’ long. Average thickness will probably be about 4”.

I haven’t worked with concrete in nearly 40 years but I think I can figure it out. On the other hand, I would not balk at hiring a crew but I don’t know what to look for.

What do I need to know?

Thanks,

Okie John

Zincwarrior
05-12-2020, 01:42 PM
Ms. Okie wants to pour several slabs in the back yard. They’ll all be 3’ wide. Four or five will be 15’ long, and two will be 12’ long. Average thickness will probably be about 4”.

I haven’t worked with concrete in nearly 40 years but I think I can figure it out. On the other hand, I would not balk at hiring a crew but I don’t know what to look for.

What do I need to know?

Thanks,

Okie John

Sounds like your life insurance policy enhancement she signed you up for came through. :rolleyes:

Casual Friday
05-12-2020, 01:45 PM
If you decide to DIY, the Harbor Freight cement mixer works quite well and was cheaper to buy that than to rent one for the duration of my project. I did our sidewalk and front steps about 5 or 6 years ago. The reason I didn't have it hauled in was I didn't meet the minimum yardage requirement for them to deliver to my house, one of the pitfalls of living in the sticks.

If I had it to do over, I would hire a crew. I've had two hernia surgeries since then and I'm sure those 80lb bags were a big cause of it.

As far as what to look for in a company, ask them for recent references. It's concrete work, so it's most likely going to be done by felons, kids straight outta high school, and guys with no papers.

whomever
05-12-2020, 02:46 PM
If I did the math right that's around 180 60lb bags of redimix, or 10K pounds worth of redimix.

I'm afraid to say I have done projects on that scale with one of the electric mixers and two guys, counting me. That makes for a long day, at least for a geezer like me.

You do have the advantage of not having to do it all at once, but that's still a lot to haul around.

I make it to be about 3 yards; I think that would pay for a truck. The downside to a truck may be getting it from the truck to the forms if they are in the backyard. Danged if you do, danged if you don't.

There isn't any reason you couldn't do the formboards, rebar or mesh, etc yourself.

Concrete isn't hard to do, but it the clock is ticking; you have to do the troweling and so on at the right time, and it's not like you can just set your watch - the timing will depend on exactly how much water you add, the temp, and so on. And when it's at the right stage, you have to move - it's not like carpentry where you can work slowly. Old news, probably :-(

If I was going to DIY I'd try one and see how it goes.

flyrodr
05-12-2020, 02:59 PM
A few years ago, we had to replace the back patio; it was about 10' x 30'. It was part of some other remodeling, so I had the general contractor do it. I watched.

Remove the old concrete, haul it off (Not an issue with you, but this first step was enough to make me glad I didn't try it myself).

Set new forms. Laser everything to get the drainage away from house. (Having no laser, step two was a stopper as well).

Order concrete. Truck parked on side street, about 50 feet from patio, across some grass and through a natural area. Used a motorized dump cart. (Having only a wheelbarrow, step three was a stopper as well).

Finishing patio with a motorized paddle, rounding edges, etc. (Having none of that, another stopper.)

Cost was not insignificant, and WELL WORTH EVERY PENNY.

Just sayin' . . .

okie john
05-12-2020, 03:50 PM
Thank you, gentlemen.

I think I can see where this is going.

Okie John

rob_s
05-12-2020, 04:30 PM
there are companies that do nothing but pump (and sometimes finish) concrete. If you think you are up to the task of setting the forms and installing the mesh (you could also go fibermesh, depending on what you're doing with the slabs) and ordering the mud, that might be one option.

Also, again depending on what you're planning on doing with the slabs, don't neglect the sub-grade. and don't forget expansion joints (I prefer to have them cut in rather than troweled, but troweled looks better to most people). The concrete is GOING to crack, the joints just allow you to determine where those cracks are going to happen (provided you properly prepare your sub-grade).

I would suggest getting a couple of quotes regardless. You don't know the value of your time vs their cost until you know their cost. You may be surprised or at least decide "yeah, I can live with that".

Cookie Monster
05-12-2020, 05:26 PM
One or two of those would be cool DIY but five seems like you will get your money's worth and time worth by getting it contracted.

Like suggested you could do the prep-work and bring someone in to pour and finish.