PDA

View Full Version : Info/Advice for novel.

Bigguy
05-12-2020, 01:13 PM
I sent the following email to the CID most likely to respond to a murder in this area. I haven't heard back yet, but though I'd post the same questions here to see if somebody might have some ideas.

Sirs:

I am an independent author with 7 titles presently available on Amazon. I presently live in Texarkana, TX. but my home town is Gillett, AR. One of my novels is a political thriller set in southeast Arkansas County. “From The Delta Mud.”
I’m currently writing another novel set in that location, but this one is a murder mystery. I very much want to depict law enforcement correctly, but I’ve already made some major mistakes that will require extensive rewriting.
In chapter 8 I have the investigation undertaken by a Sheriff’s Deputy. I spoke briefly with somebody in law enforcement who told me this was completely implausible. I gathered that due to the limited investigative resources in that region, it is likely your office would assign an agent for the investigation.
I realize that you folks are busy with more important work, but was hoping that somebody with actual knowledge might take enough interest to invest some personal time. I’ll include some background for the story and some question below to give you and idea of what the task might entail.

Summary:
A body is found 5 miles east of Gillett on a farm. It is the farm owner. He is solitary and universally despised by almost every citizen in the area because he is fighting with a petroleum developer. He is costing everybody the chance for some potentially lucrative income.
He is found next to a canal, a mile or more down a muddy road (only accessible by 4WD vehicles) with an arrow in his back.
A hunter finds the body. As the hunter is leaving the woods, he runs into the Sheriff’s Deputy who was trying to find the farmer due to a previous incident.

Questions:
(1) The body lay 12 hours in a huge rain storm and is paper white. Would the Deputy trust his eye that the victim is beyond medical help, or would he check for a pulse?
(2) Determining the victim is beyond medical assistance I assume his next move would be to notify somebody. Who would that be? Would he call CID directly or go through another agency, such as DeWitt or Stuttgart CPD?
(3) Once CID is finished with the crime scene, I assume they would have the local coroner (A funeral Home in DeWitt) retrieve the body. They would want a Medical Examiner to look at the body. Who would take it to the Crime Lab in LR? Would the Crime Lab simply contract it out to the Funeral Home/Coroner, or would they send a vehicle from LR?
(4) The body was found just across the property line on another farm with whom the victim had a contentious relationship. Both properties were posted, though a few people had permission to hunt on them. Surely the Investigator would want to speak with the owner of the other farm to see who had permission to be on the land. Then I’d assume he would want to speak with each of those people to see if they were there that day. (at least 5 people.) I assume this would take a couple of days. To my knowledge, the closest place to stay would be in DeWitt, 14 miles north. Would the agent stay overnight, or just make the commute daily?
(5) More evidence will be discovered in a couple of days as the water in the canal drops. Would an agent make the trip to collect it, or would they have somebody locally (DeWitt if they have an investigator) mail it out?

peterb
05-12-2020, 01:42 PM
(1) The body lay 12 hours in a huge rain storm and is paper white. Would the Deputy trust his eye that the victim is beyond medical help, or would he check for a pulse?

Local protocols may vary. Below is the protocol we used when I was an EMT.
I’d look for lividity. If the body is pale white except for the lowest portions, which are dark(reddish/purple), there hasn’t been any circulation for a while. Blood has obeyed gravity and pooled at the bottom of the body.

MistWolf
05-12-2020, 01:45 PM
Petroleum-

My uncle owned land in North Dakota which he leased to an oil company to drill for oil. He really didn't want them on his land. When I asked him why he leased out his land, he told the company would just set up on his neighbor's property drill at an angle and get the oil anyway. Denying the oil company lease rights would be only a minor inconvenience and cost the oil company a little more money drilling.

critter
05-12-2020, 01:50 PM
I’d look for lividity. If the body is pale white except for the lowest portions, which are dark(reddish/purple), there hasn’t been any circulation for a while. Blood has obeyed gravity and pooled at the bottom of the body.

Nothing to ad for this novel, however, keep in mind for your next Naked Gun genre addition that if the decapitated head was cut either high enough or low enough, it remains feasible to check the neck for a pulse... just sayin'...

Bigguy
05-12-2020, 02:00 PM
Petroleum-

My uncle owned land in North Dakota which he leased to an oil company to drill for oil. He really didn't want them on his land. When I asked him why he leased out his land, he told the company would just set up on his neighbor's property drill at an angle and get the oil anyway. Denying the oil company lease rights would be only a minor inconvenience and cost the oil company a little more money drilling.

You are absolutely correct. I've done a lot of research on this, even speaking with a guy who was once doing PR for a petroleum company. The area is marginal and the company is only exploring. This is a project they are looking at, not committed to.

This is my home town in southeast Arkansas. There were actual test wells drilled in this area in the 1950s, though they only went to 4K ft. Around 2000, another company ran some 2D seismic surveys and detected POSSIBLE oil bearing formations at 14K ft. They actually signed some leases with several land owners in case they decided to go into production.

In my story, they want to come back and run some 3D surveys to get better detail. Depending on what they find, they would make a decision about production. The thing is, this is just on the border of being viable. My landowner is right in the middle if the grid. He doesn't own the mineral rights. (That's part of the story) As a result he's putting up a fight, losing money, in a fight he knows he can't win. For him it's revenge, against the bank that kept the mineral rights when they sold back the family farm they had foreclosed on. He's hoping to become enough of an expensive inconvenience that the petroleum will just scrap the project.

Bigguy
05-12-2020, 02:11 PM

Wow, thanks so much for that. I've seen enough murder mysteries to know about lividity, but somehow still didn't think to include it in my first draft. Getting back to that first question, would he check for a pulse no matter how dead the guy looked?

MistWolf
05-12-2020, 03:28 PM
...back to that first question, would he check for a pulse no matter how dead the guy looked?

Depends on your protagonist-
- How much experience does he have looking at dead & injured?
- Is he always trying to save people/the world? Or is he jaded, maybe bitter?
- How well did he know the victim?
- How does the death scene impact him?
- Is anyone around to witness & judge his actions? Would he care either way?
- Does the death scene hook your character? Or will he need a push?

There death scene is a good place to show readers what kind of person the protagonist is. That will dictate what he does once he discovers the body.

Bigguy
05-12-2020, 03:54 PM
Depends on your protagonist-
- How much experience does he have looking at dead & injured?
- Is he always trying to save people/the world? Or is he jaded, maybe bitter?
- How well did he know the victim?
- How does the death scene impact him?
- Is anyone around to witness & judge his actions? Would he care either way?
- Does the death scene hook your character? Or will he need a push?

There death scene is a good place to show readers what kind of person the protagonist is. That will dictate what he does once he discovers the body.

Of course, this character is based loosely on a man I knew 30 years prior to this story. I'm not aware of him ever working a murder.
From a moral standpoint, he'd likely check no matter how slim the odds. What I don't know is how concerned would he be as a lawman about contaminating the scene? Would that override is moral impulse to try and save him, no matter the odds? My tendency is to have him check being as careful as possible about disturbing the body.

Le Français
05-12-2020, 05:03 PM
After 12 hrs, it would be pretty obvious to a cop with experience looking at dead people that this individual had crossed the great divide. It’s obvious well before 12 hours.