PDA

View Full Version : 2020 PF hat thread, maybe potentially possibly going to be a thing (soon)tm or not

BehindBlueI's
05-10-2020, 01:26 PM
No promises but if there's actually sufficient interest and folks can agree on what they actually want, PF *MIGHT* move forward with the hat idea (soon)tm. My wife runs a little costume jewelry business and would be set up for the logistics of it already so that's a plus.

So other then no button on top, probably orange, probably with the PF logo, and probably designed to worn upon your head what else do you want? And what price range are you willing to support? I'd like to do a made in the USA hat if that's even possible these days, but I expect that'll be more money if I can even find it.

**UPDATE**

THIS WILL BE A MADE IN THE USA HAT FOR THESE PRICES

If we do one color scheme, I'm going to need to charge about $25+shipping. If we do two options, I'm going to need to charge about $30+shipping. I'll have to order at least 50, and if we split into two options they'll need to be 25/25.

This is for an unstructured hat, no button, and either velcro or cloth/buckle closure.

Prices might vary a buck or two either way depending on exact options selected. It goes down roughly $1.40 a unit if we can get enough interest for 75 or more hats.

If people are interested at that pricing, let me know and I'll move forward with getting a sample and ordering.

**LEAD TIME IS AT LEAST 8.5 WEEKS FROM ACCEPTANCE OF ORDER** I think that's completely reasonable for domestic manufacturing in today's environment and would rather support Ohio then a shop abroad. Keep in mind the time delay if I have to take pre-orders, though.

**POLL**

https://forms.gle/1E7ihN776ve3NY957

blues
05-10-2020, 01:38 PM
No promises but if there's actually sufficient interest and folks can agree on what they actually want, PF *MIGHT* move forward with the hat idea (soon)tm. My wife runs a little costume jewelry business and would be set up for the logistics of it already so that's a plus.

So other then no button on top, probably orange, probably with the PF logo, and probably designed to worn upon your head what else do you want? And what price range are you willing to support? I'd like to do a made in the USA hat if that's even possible these days, but I expect that'll be more money if I can even find it.

www.graffiticaps.com

1-800-992-8093

Cut, sewn and assembled in USA

STI
05-10-2020, 01:42 PM
Will support, up to 30ish

Medusa
05-10-2020, 01:53 PM
I’d just like it to be long hair friendly. I have two ball caps that are, can find brands and pics if desired. Also, prefer it doesn’t look like a 70s trucker hat. My .02 from the distaff side, ommv.

mtnbkr
05-10-2020, 01:58 PM
In only if it says "mods are shit" somewhere in or on the hat and won't get me kilt in the street. :)

In all seriousness, the link blues provided looks good. I like the low profile 6 panel option. I too don't like flat brimmed trucker hats.

Chris

Suvorov
05-10-2020, 02:03 PM
As a child of the 80s raised in Wyoming - I HATE TRUCKER HATS!!!

BehindBlueI's
05-10-2020, 02:03 PM
www.graffiticaps.com

1-800-992-8093

I was looking at them already.

BehindBlueI's
05-10-2020, 02:05 PM
I’d just like it to be long hair friendly. I have two ball caps that are, can find brands and pics if desired. Also, prefer it doesn’t look like a 70s trucker hat. My .02 from the distaff side, ommv.

Yeah, that'd help because I have no idea what makes a hat long hair friendly. Never been a concern for me.

blues
05-10-2020, 02:06 PM

Well, then you shoulda said, dammit, and saved me having to walk inside from the porch and copy that info into a post for your lazy ass. Sheesh.

Grey
05-10-2020, 02:08 PM
I would prefer something relatively subdued, not big into a bill board on my head.

FNFAN
05-10-2020, 02:10 PM
Will support, up to 30ish

Same here. A "black on black" option like the shirts awhile back would be nice as well. Would do one of each if available.

JAD
05-10-2020, 02:12 PM

If I was making a hat for myself it would be the six panel low profile. I’d prefer a muted base color with an embroidered pF logo in blaze, but note that a serious blaze is available as a color option in their ‘camo’ fabric option. Snap closure holds up to washing much better than the others.

Either way, if it’s less than $40 I’m in.

ETA: black on black is always the coolest.

BehindBlueI's
05-10-2020, 02:14 PM
Well, then you shoulda said, dammit, and saved me having to walk inside from the porch and copy that info into a post for your lazy ass. Sheesh.

I'm helping you get your steps in. I'm a helper. It's what I do.

Gater
05-10-2020, 02:18 PM
Another fan of the lo-pro six panel here.

blues
05-10-2020, 02:18 PM
I'm helping you get your steps in. I'm a helper. It's what I do.

Well, while you're helpin', how about grabbin' me a beer?

Duelist
05-10-2020, 02:28 PM
Lo profile, not trucker style, and I have a large head, so that’s a thing for me too. Orange *on* the hat is fine, but I don’t really want the only option to be a hat I will only wear during deer season. I mean, two would be fine: one for deer season, one for the rest of the year.

frozentundra
05-10-2020, 02:50 PM
I like the orange on black hat Todd G was wearing in the background here.

http://pistol-training.com/

Shoresy
05-10-2020, 02:58 PM
Unstructured (https://sport-smart.com/blogs/news/structured-vs-unstructured-hats) if that's an option. Sometimes the structure fits, sometimes it doesn't - unstructured pretty well works all the time. I'm also a fan of keeping the source domestic.

RJ
05-10-2020, 03:20 PM
I'm in (duh).

- Vastly prefer American made/sourced.
- Do not want top button
- Subdued "look" preferred - black on black option, orange on orange option
- "p-t" hat as per frozentundra (somebody get that guy a hot chocolate!) would be cool.

Many excellent suggestions / discussion here (cough)

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?21603-quot-New-quot-PF-Hat-Group-Buy-Feeler

Otherwise I'll buy one. I'm a sucker for hats. And for supporting this site.

pooty
05-10-2020, 03:24 PM
$25 basic or $40 special features/fabrics

STI
05-10-2020, 03:27 PM
I generally wear any hats I do buy into lots of NPE places or around people that I regularly see while in them, so I would strongly prefer that it doesn’t say “pistol-forum” on it, not even small on the rear, and only has a P-F logo. Forgot to say that earlier

Pepper
05-10-2020, 03:44 PM
I like the orange on black hat Todd G was wearing in the background here.

http://pistol-training.com/

I think that is the official forum cap. Todd gave me one and I still wear it to the indoor range every week. That is years worth of usage. Still serviceable, but very sad looking. It means a lot to me. Would be great to replace it with the same.

frozentundra
05-10-2020, 04:05 PM
I think that is the official forum cap. Todd gave me one and I still wear it to the indoor range every week. That is years worth of usage. Still serviceable, but very sad looking. It means a lot to me. Would be great to replace it with the same.

That is a treasure for sure! I'd really love one of those or one slightly updated into a P-F motif that paid homage to the original. I'd buy at least two of either.

I don't wear firearm related clothing in public, but this is acceptably subtle for my purposes/tastes. I imagine that's what Todd was thinking when it was designed?

BehindBlueI's
05-10-2020, 04:49 PM
So the intent is just a PF logo, no words at all. I get not having "pistol" anywhere on your clothing. You can claim it's from your last trip to Pony Fantasy camp.

I don't know what minimum orders are going to be but I strongly suspect we need *a* design. I'll see how much "options" run up the price, but it might be just black on black or orange on orange or orange on black or plaid. Probably plaid.

FNFAN
05-10-2020, 05:15 PM
But it might be just black on black or orange on orange or orange on black or plaid. Probably plaid.

Mods hat should be special.

Perhaps an orange ribbon. RHIP!

I'd say the official

on black or dark gray or khaki would be awesome. An all orange hat would be less.

critter
05-10-2020, 06:42 PM
One of you investigator types find out who makes the BCM hats. Those are excellent, imho, unless they've changed how they make 'em in the last few years.

Black with orange threading and orange logo on 'fuzzy' cut canvas black or dark grey patch.

Yeah, I'm in if I live long enough for soon(tm) to occur.

Paul D
05-10-2020, 07:28 PM
i would like it to be size adjustable not flex-fit. I have a planetoid for a head and those flex-fits feel like a rubber band around my head. I would pay $30-40 for a quality custom cap.

Crashpad
05-10-2020, 07:41 PM
If it's adjustable, low profile and less than $50 I'm in for at least one, maybe two. Probably two.

Bergeron
05-10-2020, 07:45 PM
Please include me as a vote for a hat. I will say that I have an apparently oversized head, and that I'd be willing to pay extra for a "plus-size", and pay extra for American-made.

Cory
05-10-2020, 08:16 PM
If it's not orange as the main color I'm in.

Do I have preferences? Yeah. Black, unstructured, quality brim. Trucker, or regular, whatever.

Will I buy it anyway so I can rep PF at matches and stuff? Probably, yeah.

-Cory

JAD
05-10-2020, 08:23 PM
We are a bunch of fat head motherfuckers.

https://youtu.be/T1MwfZzVsII

fly out
05-10-2020, 08:30 PM
There is an echo in here. Subtle, American made, adjustable (leather or fabric adjuster - not the plastic buttons - and accommodating of a larger-sized melon). Orange is not a dealbreaker. Ideally under $50.

Medusa
05-10-2020, 08:35 PM
The black and red one is pretty conventional, except you can see the adjustment velcro straps are long. Means you can fit tied up long hair thru and still get the hat off without pulling hair out. I took a pic of the maker. Scca made these.

the second is an eotech vudu hat ( the voodoo doll that is the mascot is adorbs) said to be unstructured six panel. I think they even have one in blaze orange. The back is elasticized so a low ponytail works. Based on some of the comments here about planetoid sized heads, idk, but with hair plus head size I don’t wear a small hat either. The eotech one doesn’t have brand info on it that I can see.

again my experience, ommv.

Irelander
05-10-2020, 08:47 PM
I'm in for a hat. I like gray. Gray with orange P-F would be sweet.

mmc45414
05-10-2020, 08:57 PM
what else do you want?

https://youtu.be/gdYXQ-IPZcc?t=35

awp_101
05-10-2020, 08:59 PM
In for orange logo on black or black on black.

it might be just black on black or orange on orange or orange on black or plaid. Probably plaid.
Dead men don't wear plaid so if I'm still alive when soon™ happens I'd be up for a plaid version.

BehindBlueI's
05-11-2020, 08:15 AM
I've reached out to Graffiti Caps and will let you guys know what they say about the feasibility of our specs, if it makes sense to do a run of black/black and black/orange within our numbers, and what the minimum order will be.

If there's a lot of interest, I'll probably have to take pre-orders to help fund the initial order.

BehindBlueI's
05-11-2020, 08:40 AM
Minimum run is 50. We can do two color schemes split evenly into 25/25, but it will add to the cost per unit.
I know we've seen black/black, black/orange, gray/orange as "wants".

Unless heartburn is severe, how about black with an orange sandwich in the brim and orange logo and if the cost per unit increase is palatable a black/black version. If the per cost unit is significantly higher we may just have to go the Model T route. Any color you want, as long as it's black. :)

BehindBlueI's
05-11-2020, 09:00 AM
If we do one color scheme, I'm going to need to charge about $25+shipping. If we do two options, I'm going to need to charge about $30+shipping. I'll have to order at least 50, and if we split into two options they'll need to be 25/25.

This is for an unstructured hat, no button, and either velcro or cloth/buckle closure.

Prices might vary a buck or two either way depending on exact options selected. It goes down roughly $1.40 a unit if we can get enough interest for 75 or more hats.

If people are interested at that pricing, let me know and I'll move forward with getting a sample and ordering.

**LEAD TIME IS AT LEAST 8.5 WEEKS FROM ACCEPTANCE OF ORDER** I think that's completely reasonable for domestic manufacturing in today's environment and would rather support Ohio then a shop abroad. Keep in mind the time delay if I have to take pre-orders, though.

I will edit this in to the first post as well.

Shoresy
05-11-2020, 09:03 AM
I'm in for at least one, no preference on the specs you laid out. If pre-order/pre-paid is necessary, that's fine.

da6dspanburg
05-11-2020, 09:06 AM
I'm in for at least one. Would prefer velcro to buckle but it's not a deal breaker. black-on-black is my first choice.

RJ
05-11-2020, 09:06 AM

I am 100% good with black with an orange sandwich in the brim and orange logo. Credit card ready.

mmc45414
05-11-2020, 09:12 AM
I will be good for one (ETA: will prepay), will go for whatever the collective wants most, would lean to black/orange with Velcro, if this is a democracy... :cool:

Duelist
05-11-2020, 09:13 AM

Take my money. Will happily prepay. 1xblack with orange sandwich and lettering. Unless they are all black/black, then I’ll take one of those instead.

98z28
05-11-2020, 09:14 AM
I'm in for any of those options. Black with orange sandwich and logo sounds good, and I'll pick up that one even if there are two options.

The BCM hats I have, which are several years old now, all have a Reggie Matthews tag in them: http://www.reggiematthewspromotions.com/Products.html

I don't see anything on the website about Made in America, though there are a ton of products on his site. It looks like y'all have a vendor selected. I only bring it up because another member mentioned liking them and they are the only hats I've found that consistently fit my child-sized melon. My current favorite one is in need of replacement, so this is great timing. I am just tossing out another option to investigate of the current vendor falls through. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200511/95bc0fe165e5858ddf78b46e5411b40d.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200511/e25a73a963962d3079b5a470950cd615.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200511/f1957074b1a85b17578261e28bb1e2ba.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

critter
05-11-2020, 09:16 AM
It may be a decent idea to link directly to another "order only" thread with nothing but:

how many...
Which color combo(s)

may keep the bookkeeping/management a little easier.

but just in case:
one of each color
or
both the same color if only one available

Kanye Wyoming
05-11-2020, 09:16 AM
Take my money. Will happily prepay. 1xblack with orange sandwich and lettering. Unless they are all black/black, then I’ll take one of those instead.
Ditto.

BehindBlueI's
05-11-2020, 09:21 AM
I'm in for any of those options. Black with orange sandwich and logo sounds good, and I'll pick up that one even if there are two options.

The BCM hats I have, which are several years old now, all have a Reggie Matthews tag in them: http://www.reggiematthewspromotions.com/Products.html

I don't see anything on the website about Made in America, though there are a ton of products on his site. It looks like y'all have a vendor selected. I only bring it up because another member mentioned liking them and they are the only hats I've found that consistently fit my child-sized melon. My current favorite one is in need of replacement, so this is great timing. I am just tossing out another option to investigate of the current vendor falls through. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200511/95bc0fe165e5858ddf78b46e5411b40d.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200511/e25a73a963962d3079b5a470950cd615.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200511/f1957074b1a85b17578261e28bb1e2ba.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

The tag inside says "made in China" but I can see if he has a Made in the USA option.

I'll probably get another quote if I can find another domestic manufacturer, but I really want this to be a completely made in the USA product.

BehindBlueI's
05-11-2020, 09:22 AM

Google survey for preferences. Note I am not collecting emails or any personal data, responses are anonymous.

Duelist
05-11-2020, 09:25 AM

Google survey for preferences. Note I am not collecting emails or any personal data, responses are anonymous.

Done.

FNFAN
05-11-2020, 10:58 AM
Black or gray with orange sandwich and logo sounds good as does black on black. Down for one of each if two options are available. Pre order is fine.

Thanks for putting this together!

awp_101
05-11-2020, 11:02 AM
Done, thanks!

pangloss
05-11-2020, 11:23 AM
I will take the survey tonight. I want a cap, but I'm getting serious about my personal China boycott. Greatly prefer non-Chinese even is cost goes up.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

LittleLebowski
05-11-2020, 11:26 AM

Done, thank you.

BehindBlueI's
05-11-2020, 11:29 AM
I will take the survey tonight. I want a cap, but I'm getting serious about my personal China boycott. Greatly prefer non-Chinese even is cost goes up.

These are going to be Made in USA at the prices I posted, both the hat itself and the customization. As long as the sample looks good, I'm pretty sure I'm going with the Ohio based maker.

pangloss
05-11-2020, 11:42 AM
These are going to be Made in USA at the prices I posted, both the hat itself and the customization. As long as the sample looks good, I'm pretty sure I'm going with the Ohio based maker.Great news! I'm definitely in for at least one.

Exiledviking
05-11-2020, 12:30 PM
I'm in for one.

Cory
05-11-2020, 02:40 PM
Voted.

I think black on black could be cool. I would be cool with black and orange logo too, but never liked sandwich brims.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the samples turn out. I'm probably going to get the black on black, but it depends on how the other one looks.

-Cory

Irelander
05-11-2020, 03:49 PM
I'm not a big sandwich brim guy but I can live with it if it happens.

GyroF-16
05-11-2020, 05:11 PM
I’m in for at least one, probably two. (In different color combos).
Grey/Orange sounds the most appealing (have several black caps already) but black/black sounds good too.
Looking forward to seeing the samples!

Thanks for getting this rolling, BBI!

Joe45
05-11-2020, 05:17 PM

Google survey for preferences. Note I am not collecting emails or any personal data, responses are anonymous.Done. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

2xAGM114
05-11-2020, 07:40 PM
COVID-19. Also made in China. Just sayin.

I second the motion for no Trucker Hats. I also second the motion for a TLG "commemorative" scheme, a la the TLG photo mentioned on previous page.

GOTURBACK
05-12-2020, 09:14 AM
I will definitely commit to buying at least one cap regardless of the final specifications,unless 🌈 and unicorns will be part of it. My preferences would be 100% American made (that is a priority even if cost is greater), lightweight breathable cloth (no mesh) either dark grey or black with embroidered orange Pf logo, no button, either flex fit or Velcro adjustable.

Irelander
05-12-2020, 12:08 PM
Must be USA made...else, I'm out.

Shoresy
05-12-2020, 12:27 PM
Must be USA made...else, I'm out.

Based on the number of times BehindBlueI's has specifically stated that he's making domestic production a requirement, I don't think that will be an issue. I'll just add that I appreciate the emphasis placed on that.

Cory
05-12-2020, 01:28 PM
I will definitely commit to buying at least one cap regardless of the final specifications,unless 🌈 and unicorns will be part of it. My preferences would be 100% American made (that is a priority even if cost is greater), lightweight breathable cloth (no mesh) either dark grey or black with embroidered orange Pf logo, no button, either flex fit or Velcro adjustable.

I had assumed embroidered.

-Cory

Medusa
05-12-2020, 10:31 PM
Curious. Where was there any indication whatsoever that 🦄 and 🌈 were going to be a part of this ?

i can play. I’m in for a hat as it’s just a PF hat with nothing else I might object to. Oh wait I guess that was the point of the thread.

HCountyGuy
05-13-2020, 07:06 AM
Answered survey. I’d order at least two.

Greg
05-13-2020, 08:16 AM
Survey answered. I need another cap without the button on top.

Would prefer gray to black cause summer sun at high altitude.

okie john
05-13-2020, 10:28 AM
Just submitted hat preferences. I'll need one that meets Medusa long-hair specs if the barbershops don't open up soon.

Okie John

BehindBlueI's
05-13-2020, 01:16 PM
Based on the number of times BehindBlueI's has specifically stated that he's making domestic production a requirement, I don't think that will be an issue. I'll just add that I appreciate the emphasis placed on that.

Might as well throw it out one more time. :)

Unless Ohio secedes from the union, this is on track to be a made in the USA product. Both the making of the hat itself and the customization.

Grey
05-13-2020, 03:05 PM
Might as well throw it out one more time. :)

Unless Ohio secedes from the union, this is on track to be a made in the USA product. Both the making of the hat itself and the customization.

Hey man, is the shipping products going to be American made too? :p

BehindBlueI's
05-13-2020, 04:34 PM
Hey man, is the shipping products going to be American made too? :p

blues put you up to that, didn't he?

critter
05-13-2020, 04:37 PM
This seems like a great idea.. but will this be made in America?

BehindBlueI's
05-13-2020, 04:39 PM

also:

https://pics.me.me/did-somebody-say-shenanigans-5353723.png

blues
05-13-2020, 04:40 PM

Don't blame me, bro'. I used to investigate groups that wouldn't allow me to join because not only would I not have been considered American, I wasn't considered white either.

So, I got that going for me, which is nice.

RJ
05-13-2020, 04:42 PM

LittleLebowski
05-13-2020, 04:47 PM
Please make this as easy as possible for BBIs to run. These are always thankless ventures for those running them.

RJ
05-13-2020, 04:51 PM
also:

https://pics.me.me/did-somebody-say-shenanigans-5353723.png

RJ
05-13-2020, 04:52 PM
Please make this as easy as possible for BBIs to run. These are always thankless ventures for those running them.

Ok, sorry, will stop the shenanigans.

Credit card ready. Just waiting.

BehindBlueI's
05-13-2020, 05:00 PM
Ok, sorry, will stop the shenanigans.

Credit card ready. Just waiting.

You're fine. It's not about the joking around, which is fine but hopefully ran it's course. Just that this run is unlikely to be 100% what everybody wants but will hopefully be in "good enough" territory.

And it'll be made in the USA.

Manbearspider
05-13-2020, 05:21 PM
I'm in. 53914

11B10
05-13-2020, 05:27 PM
www.graffiticaps.com

1-800-992-8093

Good looking hats, blues.

El Cid
05-13-2020, 10:05 PM
I’m in! Filled out the survey. Thanks for doing this!

Paul D
05-14-2020, 12:38 AM
I'm in for 3. Two for me and one for Karma.

Jason M
05-14-2020, 06:10 AM
In for two. FWIW, I am in the low profile camp.

Not sure if others have asked but due to the fact that it's P-F; will these be without the button on top? Comfort under ear-pro and all.

orionz06
05-14-2020, 06:31 AM
https://youtu.be/gdYXQ-IPZcc?t=35

So they still have some kinda closure then?

BehindBlueI's
05-14-2020, 07:07 AM

Not sure if others have asked but due to the fact that it's P-F; will these be without the button on top? Comfort under ear-pro and all.

So they still have some kinda closure then?

See:

Fitted hats for an order our size would be cost prohibitive.

Cory
05-15-2020, 08:07 AM

Also made in America. :rolleyes:

-Cory

BehindBlueI's
05-15-2020, 09:03 AM
Tom_Jones is going to send me the graphic used for the t-shirts and I should be able to get it to the vendor for mock-ups Soon (tm).

cornstalker
05-16-2020, 07:56 AM
Can you have a sweat stain pre-printed on the hat? Mine would last longer if you do... Lol.

NickDrak
05-16-2020, 08:06 AM
I’m in.

BehindBlueI's
05-20-2020, 03:52 PM
I went ahead and just mocked up a larger PF logo and got it to the maker. We should have mock-ups soon. Oh, I mean "soon" (tm).

0ddl0t
05-20-2020, 06:00 PM
I went ahead and just mocked up a larger PF logo and got it to the maker. We should have mock-ups soon. Oh, I mean "soon" (tm).

Thanks for your work - I'm in...

Mjolnir
05-21-2020, 08:06 AM
I’d like t he EXACT SAME HAT that Todd gifted me when taking one of his courses in Indy.

I wear it occasionally. I’d purchase two if they are black with the subtle orange “P-F” logo.

Six panel, unstructured velcro preferred.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RevolverRob
05-22-2020, 02:21 PM
I took the survey and indicated black-black as my choice.

However, I missed the part where it will just be the "P-F" logo. In which case, I am much more ambivalent about the color and I'm fine with black-orange.

I'm a weirdo who prefers mesh to cloth caps, but I don't really care.

I'm in for at least 1.

newyork
05-23-2020, 07:09 PM
I’m in and can’t wait

rd62
05-23-2020, 07:40 PM
I'm in for one or two. Thanks!

NEPAKevin
05-26-2020, 01:21 PM
I'm in for at least two. If you are looking for numbers to get the price down, it might be a good idea to put a sticky on the "General Discussion" board and/or maybe an ad or banner on top that links to this thread and if/when there is one. the order page. FWIW, I don't care what they look like, and I'm not trying to make work for anyone or be ungrateful for the work done, but, I for one would be willing to pay more for small but tasteful "fuck cancer" or something of a similar PF inspired nature on the back of the hat.

Greg
05-26-2020, 01:36 PM
Maybe a PF Fez would be a good idea. It's what the true Illuminati of pistol shooting would choose.

There's room for morale patches and pins and they are made of Velvet. Plus chicks dig them! (I made that last part up)

delphidoc
06-01-2020, 06:12 PM
I'd take one. As long as they're made in the USA. Also, no rainbows or unicorns.

Kanye Wyoming
06-01-2020, 08:55 PM
Maybe a PF Fez would be a good idea. It's what the true Illuminati of pistol shooting would choose.

There's room for morale patches and pins and they are made of Velvet. Plus chicks dig them! (I made that last part up)

I’m in for 2 fezes. Fezi?

BehindBlueI's
06-01-2020, 10:30 PM
Mock-ups:

Thoughts?

Grey
06-01-2020, 10:40 PM
Mock-ups:

Thoughts?

Those look really sharp BBI's.

Yung
06-01-2020, 10:44 PM
Lowercase letters with a hyphen in between would probably be more consistent with the site aesthetic and how people refer to it in posts.

pangloss
06-01-2020, 10:47 PM
They look a little more structured that I was expecting, but I'll take one of each, or maybe two of the orange. I think having true duplicates is more in line with the purest form of PF philosophy, but I'm not certain of the applicability to headwear.

Medusa
06-01-2020, 10:48 PM
Lowercase letters with a hyphen in between would probably be more consistent with the site aesthetic and how people refer to it in posts.
Concur, and smaller generally, which is not to be ungrateful for the effort you’re expending on this; simply to respond to the request for thoughts on the mockup.

delphidoc
06-01-2020, 11:30 PM
Small p goes way below the line, small f sticks way up. That would look strange to me. Maybe I'm missing something here.

Paul D
06-02-2020, 12:08 AM
I like the hat and structure. I think maybe the p-f logo would look better in lower case too. Below pic so we can just get a visual.

Another option is to use a logo (which may be more expensive). Below is a proof mark used by the Spanish government after 1914 for automatic pistols that passed proof. It is not copyrighted.

Duelist
06-02-2020, 01:17 AM

Like that.

FNFAN
06-02-2020, 02:45 AM
A more streamlined capital letter font with a hyphen. Have to dig out the black on black longsleeve shirt to make sure I'm, ah... not talking out of my hat. So to speak. I like the sandwich brim much more than I thought I would.

RJ
06-02-2020, 06:09 AM
I am 100% good with black with an orange sandwich in the brim and orange logo. Credit card ready.

Having seen the mock ups the black is pretty subdued and I’d likely order orange. But they both look good to me. Ready to place order.

mtnbkr
06-02-2020, 06:42 AM
Mock-ups:

Thoughts?

I'd buy either, but I think I like the all black one a bit better.

Chris

critter
06-02-2020, 06:50 AM

Will the PF Fez be 'Made in USA?'

If so, I'm absolutely in...

MasterBlaster
06-02-2020, 06:51 AM
It would be cool if it said on the back, in small letters, "F.A.S.T. 5.0". Hahaha.

blues
06-02-2020, 07:49 AM
Like the black on black style. Preferably with lower case and hyphen. The less structure the better.

BehindBlueI's
06-02-2020, 07:53 AM
I like the hat and structure. I think maybe the p-f logo would look better in lower case too. Below pic so we can just get a visual.

Do folks prefer Paul's or this one (without the wording underneath):

blues
06-02-2020, 08:02 AM
Of the two choices, I prefer Paul's.

But I'd prefer the letters more like the p and f (with a hyphen) in the site logo at the top left of the page above the words "for teachers and students of the pistol".

RJ
06-02-2020, 08:02 AM

I like "this one, without the wording underneath."

BehindBlueI's
06-02-2020, 08:08 AM
Of the two choices, I prefer Paul's.

But I'd prefer the letters more like the p and f (with a hyphen) in the site logo at the top left of the page above the words "for teachers and students of the pistol".

I tried to figure out what font it was but couldn't come up with a match. If anyone wants to mock one up and post it, we'll throw it in the ring as well.

blues
06-02-2020, 08:28 AM
I tried to figure out what font it was but couldn't come up with a match. If anyone wants to mock one up and post it, we'll throw it in the ring as well.

I don't know if this link would be helpful in figuring it out...

https://thelabelpalace.com/pages/fonts

Or maybe the hat folks would have an idea if you sent them a screen shot?

Duelist
06-02-2020, 09:00 AM

This, but I’ll buy whatever is decided.

RoyGBiv
06-02-2020, 09:23 AM
FWIW, if it doesn't say "Gun!", I'd wear it more often. /grayman

awp_101
06-02-2020, 09:26 AM
I believe the font is bolded Verdana

pistol-forum

p-f

p-f

Edited to add italics version

BehindBlueI's
06-02-2020, 09:30 AM
FWIW, if it doesn't say "Gun!", I'd wear it more often. /

Yeah, that's why I said "without the text underneath". From the beginning the plan has been just "PF" and nothing more since I didn't want it relegated to "range only" status and I'm inline with the thinking on wearing gun related clothing. I know it's paranoid to some, but I actually do think "would I mind being on the news/on surveillance video in front of a jury wearing this" when choosing what I wear.

BehindBlueI's
06-02-2020, 09:32 AM
I believe the font is bolded Verdana

pistol-forum

p-f

Yeah, good call. I like the lower case better and will get them to include the hyphen.

I think I like the italics look as well, more reminiscent of the Pistol-Training hat without being a direct rip-off.

GOTURBACK
06-02-2020, 09:39 AM
I am pretty sure this is the font used on the page header it is Belle Sans Ex Bold didn't get the color exact though

awp_101
06-02-2020, 10:01 AM
Yeah, good call. I like the lower case better and will get them to include the hyphen.

I think I like the italics look as well, more reminiscent of the Pistol-Training hat without being a direct rip-off.

I updated my post with an italics version

blues
06-02-2020, 10:18 AM

I could live with either simple lower case or italic lower case p-f...blacked out, as above "verdana". I would like the hat to be known only to us and nobody else. Not looking for any attention whatsoever.

orionz06
06-02-2020, 11:32 AM

This is a Porsche font and looks far better than some random stock font.

Duelist
06-02-2020, 11:44 AM

If I could pick, the layout would look exactly like this.

orionz06
06-02-2020, 11:52 AM
If a vector is needed for the embroidery lemme know, I can provide.

Medusa
06-02-2020, 12:27 PM
I like Paul’s and awp’s font analysis seems accurate. Not a fan of Porsche font.

awp_101
06-02-2020, 12:35 PM
This is a Porsche font
That’ll mean a whole case sold just to @RJ

olstyn
I very much like the orange one, but would have no objection to the lowercase letters + hyphen idea that others have suggested.

orionz06
p-f

p-f

BobLoblaw
06-02-2020, 02:19 PM
That Porsche symmetry is hawt.

BehindBlueI's
06-02-2020, 02:28 PM
That Porsche symmetry is hawt.

From a personal perspective:

1) I don't care for the font that much myself but I am not trying to make this what I want (If it was, it'd be an orange/gray motif and fffpt to all ya'll!!!)

2) It is the log from the PF t-shirts, etc. that have been sold to date so the consistent branding appeals to my inner marketing nerd.

orionz06
06-02-2020, 02:30 PM
Mock-ups:

Thoughts?

I missed this. Not a fan at all, it's beyond generic and phoned in to me.

BehindBlueI's
06-02-2020, 02:35 PM
I missed this. Not a fan at all, it's beyond generic and phoned in to me.

They are generic. That's why I'm trying to get the font right and figure out exactly how many people prefer which logo. That PF is literally something I made in Paint to give them a place to start while waiting for Tom to send me the one from the t-shirts.

I asked them if a vector file would be helpful and will let you know. I'm in no rush during plague and riot season but once we get a feel for which font to go with I can start finalizing the order.

RevolverRob
06-03-2020, 10:44 AM
I like the Porsche font choice - Because it also gives me an excuse if someone asks me what "P-F" stands for I'll say, "Porsche-Fans.com/net/us/mindyourownfuckingbusiness"

How about black-black with orange sandwich brim?

I'm fine with any of the colorways with the sandwich brim (which is a favorite of mine). I'll even opt in on a black-orange hat, but would definitely prefer the lower key black-black.

olstyn
06-03-2020, 10:52 AM
I like the Porsche font choice - Because it also gives me an excuse if someone asks me what "P-F" stands for I'll say, "Porsche-Fans.com/net/us/mindyourownfuckingbusiness"

If going down that path, especially given some people's expressed preference for lowercase letters, I'd go with the italic font Porsche uses for their "turbo" logos.

Medusa
06-03-2020, 11:20 AM
With the Porsche font people will know it stands for pretentious f*cks.

Gater
06-03-2020, 12:17 PM
Thanks to BBI for the effort to make this happen. I’ll purchase the end result, regardless, but chucking in my personal $.02 for all black, non-sandwich, lowercase, hyphenated, and non-italicized. That said, I’ll be the second to tell you (the first being my wife) that my fashion sense leaves something to be desired.

awp_101
06-03-2020, 12:51 PM
Tell them it stands for Porsche Font and walk away as the question marks float over their head...

RJ
06-03-2020, 12:57 PM
Since I seem have gotten dragged into this thread somehow, I would like to insert a few remarks, then resume waiting for whatever hat is decided to order.

So far as I’ve ever been able to tell, the P O R S C H E font as well as script “911” and “Carrera” are proprietary to Porsche actiengesellschaft. But the internet being what it is, a close version of the capital letter font is online here:

https://fontmeme.com/porsche-font/

You can even make up your own useful phrases, as for example:

Hope this helps. Back to the hats.

RJ
06-03-2020, 01:00 PM

Stolen for my Avatar.

rd62
06-03-2020, 02:16 PM
With the Porsche font people will know it stands for pretentious f*cks.

I drove a BMW so I'm ok with that!

Medusa
06-03-2020, 02:27 PM
I drove a BMW so I'm ok with that!
The ultimate driving machine for which there is no substitute & other marketing cliches as needed !

NEPAKevin
06-03-2020, 03:34 PM
Maybe a PF Fez would be a good idea. ...Plus chicks dig them! (I made that last part up)

Back in the day...

blues
06-03-2020, 04:24 PM
Never gonna do it without the fez on...

BehindBlueI's
06-03-2020, 04:26 PM

I find this argument compelling.

Based on the survey results, the color schemes presented will both be available, black/black/no sandwich and black/orange/orange sandwich.

Cory
06-03-2020, 04:35 PM
Look forward to seeing the final version. The PF from the rash guard (minus the website) works for me.

I'm glad there are options, I'm not a fan of sandwich brims with offset color. I'll probably go with the black because of that.

-Cory

Trigger
06-03-2020, 08:04 PM
I like the Porsche font. I like the unstructured hat design. I like the low-profile grey man theme.

orionz06
06-03-2020, 09:08 PM

FNFAN
06-06-2020, 02:15 AM
Maybe something like this? Except a brighter orange with BBI's sammich design brim and the no button on top? I like the hat style that he proposed but with something more like this font.

This is just a quick mockup and they didn't have a bright orange thread. The original image file looks more like this:

Shoresy
06-06-2020, 08:43 AM
Maybe something like this? Except a brighter orange with BBI's sammich design brim and the no button on top? I like the hat style that he proposed but with something more like this font.

This is just a quick mockup and they didn't have a bright orange thread. The original image file looks more like this:

Not a strong opinion, but I actually prefer the more subdued orange. JM2C

BehindBlueI's
06-06-2020, 09:23 AM
Before we go all interior design, there are two shades of orange available from this manufacturer. Blaze orange and the one in the mock-up.

orionz06
06-06-2020, 09:35 AM
Mock-ups:

Thoughts?

Before we go all interior design, there are two shades of orange available from this manufacturer. Blaze orange and the one in the mock-up.

Pistol-Training.com orange was always the Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean orange, that passes to the forum, I assume. I think the one shown more closely matches the Omega.

http://9x19mm.com/photoalbum/albums/userpics/normal_OPO-1.jpg
Omega Planet Ocean

FNFAN
06-06-2020, 10:57 AM
I like the font I posted with the color orange shown in BBI's sample hat. And the black on black option would rock. I would take two each of those hats if that's an option.

The font color corrected to match the hat vendor's blaze orange:

On this hat style in the companies blaze orange:

With an option of the same hat & font in black-on-black:

For the sake of clarity.

RJ
06-06-2020, 12:53 PM

NO, do not like this color

YES, like this color

FNFAN
06-06-2020, 01:43 PM
NO, do not like this color

YES, like this color

I agree. The first one was yellowish!

0ddl0t
06-07-2020, 12:42 AM

^ My vote

SeriousStudent
06-07-2020, 03:50 PM
I like the font I posted with the color orange shown in BBI's sample hat. And the black on black option would rock. I would take two each of those hats if that's an option.

On this hat style in the companies blaze orange:

With an option of the same hat & font in black-on-black:

For the sake of clarity.

I would love one of each. But with no top button - dey are de Debbil.

And if you can get me a P-F fez for under $50, I'll buy one as well.

RJ
06-07-2020, 03:54 PM

SeriousStudent
06-07-2020, 03:57 PM
Be thankful I do not require one with a propeller on top.

BehindBlueI's
06-07-2020, 03:58 PM
I would love one of each. But with no top button - dey are de Debbil.

And if you can get me a P-F fez for under $50, I'll buy one as well.

There is no top button.

SeriousStudent
06-07-2020, 04:16 PM
There is no top button.

Yet again, BBI is my hero. :)

blues
06-07-2020, 04:18 PM

Alleges to not like buttons on his caps...

https://pistol-forum.com/image.php?u=3020&dateline=1468969792

I rest my case.

BehindBlueI's
06-07-2020, 04:19 PM

Man, has the hero bar slipped THAT low? Ick. Next people will tolerate LL or think blues is funny.

blues
06-07-2020, 04:21 PM
Man, has the hero bar slipped THAT low? Ick. Next people will tolerate LL or think blues is funny.

https://static.businessinsider.com/image/5547862c6bb3f73e7933ba2f-/image.jpg

"How am I funny? Do I amuse you?"

SeriousStudent
06-07-2020, 04:22 PM
Alleges to not like buttons on his caps...

https://pistol-forum.com/image.php?u=3020&dateline=1468969792

I rest my case.

That theraputic device is prescribed by my doctor. It helps control the headaches I get when dealing with society.

Or maybe it's the Bourbon that helps......

SeriousStudent
06-07-2020, 04:23 PM
https://static.businessinsider.com/image/5547862c6bb3f73e7933ba2f-/image.jpg

Stay off the plastic, Joe.

BehindBlueI's
06-07-2020, 04:23 PM

I've asked that many times myself.

No.

;)

Cory
06-07-2020, 04:46 PM
I've hat it up to here with these puns.

-Cory

BehindBlueI's
06-09-2020, 07:46 PM
Survey results with a bit over 140 responses:

Despite the typed responses here, black/black was the least popular. Black/orange and gray/orange were the top picks. Gray/orange was actually the #1 "top pick" preference, but Black/Orange was the #1 compromise of "select all you'd consider buying".

Roughly half stated they would buy more than one if two color options were offered. Roughly 3/4 were willing to pony up $5 extra for a choice in colors. Velcro vs buckle vs don't care was very evenly split with velcro getting a slight lead at 38%

In true PF fashion, Soon (tm) may be delayed a bit due to some real world concerns, but I hope to move forward with this project as I can. In the mean time, this thread will be locked and I'll make a new announcement when Soon (tm) has arrived.