PDA

View Full Version : Open carport kit experiences?

LittleLebowski
05-09-2020, 12:19 PM
I’m think about something like this (https://www.homedepot.com/p/VersaTube-18-ft-W-x-20-ft-L-x-10-ft-H-Steel-Carport-CM018200100/100659680) for my zero turn mower and firewood storage. I’d probably want to add a sheet metal wall to the back end. I’d just do gravel for the floor.

DDTSGM
05-09-2020, 10:34 PM
I don't know about your area but you can buy them much cheaper at places such as used car lots or RV lots. They generally have one set up out frontish with a sign 'From $595.'

The way it works is you go in, they take your order and, in my case $150.00 down - pretty close to 10%. The deal is the carport manufacturer calls you when your carport is being put together and schedules a time for delivery.

On that day, a couple guys with a trailer full of carport parts show up and your carport is up in about a half hour. In my case, the guys who put mine up may or may not have been legal, but were nice enough. They had started out of Rolla, Missouri and had made a loop with the furthest point being Jetmore, Kansas. I was the last delivery on their home ward leg. Their trailer would fir into my backyard so they had to hump all the parts and pieces up my drive, through the side gate and into the back yard. They were still done in less than an hour. I paid them the balance due, and they were gone back to Rolla.

My carport is 20 foot long, 18foot wide, eight foot sides, metal down both sides to with 3 feet of the ground (I keep a 14 foot Hobie Cat under it and want to keep UV off the hulls) and cost me 18 something, 5 or 6 years ago.

Very happy with the price, the installation and the way it has held up.

I believe Carolina Carports was the vendor.

ETA: mine has braces at the four corners and across the roof tubes near the peak - I hang bicycles off them - so I'd wager it is sturdier than the versa tube.

Welder
05-09-2020, 11:00 PM
Interested in the same type of thing, just a little bigger. I've got a couple pieces of equipment here that are under a falling-down shed that I want to demo, and I need something for them to sit under for cheap while I save up for a proper shop. It was drilled into me on the farm that you don't let equipment sit outside.

willie
05-10-2020, 12:28 AM
Considerations might be durability and city code restrictions. What would building the same type structure using 12 foot posts with a frame to support a metal roof cost? I have done a good bit of subcontracting of small projects and by doing so was able to control costs. You can dig the post holes and install posts yourself. With some help, building frame to support roof should be easy. A big question is drainage. Looking at the image makes me fear that you might spend hard earned money and still have a chicken shit structure. You seem to be picky, and may regret buying this.

AKDoug
05-10-2020, 12:41 AM
I have several friends with Shelter Logic wind and snow rated shelters and they've had excellent luck with them.

Leroy Suggs
05-10-2020, 07:46 AM
I second the motion on Carolina Carports.
Excellent material and installation. Great price.

Borderland
05-10-2020, 08:27 AM
Don't see many around here because of the wind.

We get some winter storms that shock people who move from other parts of the country. 60 mph is common.

LittleLebowski
05-11-2020, 01:23 PM
I second the motion on Carolina Carports.
Excellent material and installation. Great price.

Carolina Carports is the company that does the actual installs for this site (https://store.alansfactoryoutlet.com/) which has pretty reasonable pricing.

My next hurdle is figuring out the cheapest and/or easier way to deal with the slight incline this would be erected upon. I want nothing fancy, just gravel.

Poconnor
05-11-2020, 01:27 PM
Have you thought about a used conex?

LittleLebowski
05-11-2020, 02:38 PM
Have you thought about a used conex?

Yeah, doesn’t fit my needs.