PDA

View Full Version : If you are running Taurus grips on a J frame: thread pitch?

Mini14jac
05-08-2020, 06:41 PM
Just got my Taurus boot grip in.
It didn’t come with a screw and I don’t want to mess up the threads.
I’ve got plenty of screws from Altamont grips and Smith factory grips, but if someone could tell me the thread pitch I’d be grateful.

;)

Half Moon
05-08-2020, 07:46 PM
That sucks!

The Taurus screw looks like a specialty screw with a smooth long body and then a reduced size screw tip. You may need to reach out to them. Here's a couple pics:

S&W Rubber Boots and Screw vs Taurus Boots and Screw:

S&W Screw vs Taurus screw side by side close-up:

BN
05-08-2020, 08:09 PM
Give Taurus a call. I think the same thing happened to me. I'm pretty sure they sent me a screw. It was a long time ago. :)

Mini14jac
05-08-2020, 10:03 PM
That sucks!

The Taurus screw looks like a specialty screw with a smooth long body and then a reduced size screw tip. You may need to reach out to them. Here's a couple pics:

S&W Rubber Boots and Screw vs Taurus Boots and Screw:

S&W Screw vs Taurus screw side by side close-up:

Thanks for the pics.
Sounds like I need to call Taurus.

Half Moon
05-08-2020, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the pics.
Sounds like I need to call Taurus.

Shoot me a PM if Taurus doesn't make it right. I've put Pachymayrs on my 640 which leaves me a a spare set of Taurus grips. I'd rather hang on to them, complete, but am willing to donate the screw if it Taurus doesn't stand behind their parts.

Mini14jac
05-12-2020, 09:24 AM
Shoot me a PM if Taurus doesn't make it right. I've put Pachymayrs on my 640 which leaves me a a spare set of Taurus grips. I'd rather hang on to them, complete, but am willing to donate the screw if it Taurus doesn't stand behind their parts.

Thank you very much.
After several calls, about an hour total on hold, I finally talked to someone.

The screws are back ordered but one will arrive someday.
As soon as I install a titanium cylinder in my 686 I’m going to install some Hogue Bantam grips.

I think I’ll be set then.

Half Moon
05-12-2020, 10:01 AM
Thank you very much.
After several calls, about an hour total on hold, I finally talked to someone.

The screws are back ordered but one will arrive someday.
As soon as I install a titanium cylinder in my 686 I’m going to install some Hogue Bantam grips.

I think I’ll be set then.

Tell you what, if you want, PM me your address and I'll mail you a screw (I think I have a book of stamps somewhere :-) Once you get the backorder mail the screw back.

Mini14jac
05-14-2020, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the offer.
I may not end up using the Taurus grips.

Right now I’ve got the revolver set up to be light instead of shootable.

Titanium cylinder with Bantam grips.
12.2 ounces empty.

The Taurus grip would actually add 1/2 once.
:(
I’m going to shoot it like this and see how it goes.
I could actually save another 1/2 ounce if switch to wood Secret Service grips but those would be even less fun to shoot.