PDA

View Full Version : Georgia guys-need some info please

NickA
05-25-2012, 09:27 AM
Seems like we have a lot of members from GA so I thought I'd post this: I have some family members moving there next month, Lawrenceville to be exact. Does anyone have info, good, bad or otherwise?
This is my sister and mom; sister's boyfriend lived in the Athens area for quite some time, so they won't exactly be "strangers in a strange land", more just curious for my own benefit.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

NMBigfoot02
05-25-2012, 10:18 AM
Lawrenceville is a mixed bag. Some nice areas, some not so nice. If they have the option, push them farther north to Suwanee/Sugar Hill. Those areas are more expensive but nicer. I live in Flowery Branch, which is near Lake Lanier, and I work in Duluth.

Not sure if the link will work, but here's some crime maps of Gwinnett county.

http://www.crimemapping.com/map.aspx?aid=237508c7-ead1-4de4-b7b2-b627abfee7fc

Hope that helps.

JHC
05-25-2012, 11:11 AM
Lawrenceville is a mixed bag. Some nice areas, some not so nice. If they have the option, push them farther north to Suwanee/Sugar Hill. Those areas are more expensive but nicer. I live in Flowery Branch, which is near Lake Lanier, and I work in Duluth.

Not sure if the link will work, but here's some crime maps of Gwinnett county.

http://www.crimemapping.com/map.aspx?aid=237508c7-ead1-4de4-b7b2-b627abfee7fc

Hope that helps.

Good advice there. Volgrad should be along to offer some advice also. If he misses this, PM him about it. He may mirror NM Bigfoot's but more is better.

Ga Shooter
05-25-2012, 06:06 PM
Sorry I can't help you with that area.

Jason F
05-25-2012, 06:09 PM
NMBigfoot02 pretty much hit it square on the head.

I live in Grayson (a few miles south of Lawrenceville). Got a nice house in a quiet neighborhood, on a great small street with great folks around me. But not everything around here is idealic. I would go further north if I was in the market today, but we've been here 8.5 years.

Lawrenceville has some nice things about it (plenty of stores, restaurants, etc- and the downtown square is pretty nice). Plus there's a gun range / Class 3 dealer right on the square! :)

But there are definitely some neighborhood or areas I would avoid too. Study that crime map, it should tell you most of what your family members need to know if they have to live in L'ville and can't go further north.

jlw
05-25-2012, 06:21 PM
Lawrenceville/Gwinnett is as previously described: mixed bag. You are going to get what you pay for.

karmapolice
05-26-2012, 08:01 AM
Everyone has been spot on, I grew up in Gwinnett. I currently live in Suwanee which is a nice area, my daughter was going to pre-k in Lawrenceville. I worked at the gun store mentioned earlier for several years while still in school. I am work in Atlanta as an leo and Gwinnett is still a way nicer area with better schools. It just has its bad parts but they can be avoided, every bushel of apples has it few bad ones and the grass is always greener. Go further up north in Braselton you get a nice area but trailer trash meth labs, etc. I work in bankhead area of Atlanta so I know real deal shitty conditions.

VolGrad
05-28-2012, 06:27 PM
Lawrenceville/Gwinnett is as previously described: mixed bag. You are going to get what you pay for.

Yup. I am not intimately familiar with that area either BUT do know it varies greatly. I have seen areas which were really ghetto, areas which were really swank, and areas that with quite an international flair.

Cumming, Buford, Duluth are all fairly close and decent areas.

Wish I could help more but it might be helpful to know where exactly they will be working and how far they are willing to commute daily.

Also check member TheLaw. He might be more familiar with the real estate market in that area and where to look/avoid. He's recently moved and looked in some of these areas.

NickA
05-29-2012, 06:22 AM
Thank you for your help guys. For now Lawrenceville is a done deal, but AFAIK they're renting so a move is not out of the question in the future. Part of the reason they ended up there is that this was kind of a rush deal, and their housing requirements are a little unusual : need room for 3 adults, 2 kids, and handicap accessibility. Sister will be working in Buford so I'll pass along the suggestions to move closer to there.

NickA
08-20-2012, 09:15 AM
Quick update: family is all settled in and enjoying GA, especially the lower temperatures than we're getting here in TX.
On a more interesting note, mom and sister took a day trip up to some little mountain town. They took along The Conversation Starter (my niece's labradoodle), and one of his adoring fans mentioned another place they should visit.
Mom: "Ya'll should come visit and we can go to this neat little town, Elli-something? "
Me: "Ellijay? "
Mom: "That's it! "
Me: "Yes Mom, yes we should, for about a week. "
My Secret Evil Plan is coming along nicely.

GooberTim
08-20-2012, 01:44 PM
I see what you're doing there. ;)

Glad your fam is enjoying Georgia. Did they settle in Larryville, or one of the other burbs?

NickA
08-21-2012, 10:02 AM
I see what you're doing there. ;)

Glad your fam is enjoying Georgia. Did they settle in Larryville, or one of the other burbs?

The hook has been set, now it's time for Phase 2 ;) I just have to figure out WTH phase 2 is.
They're in Lawrenceville, at least for now. Sister and her boyfriend can move their jobs pretty easily so it may change, but they seem happy with it for now. We'll hopefully get out to visit next spring.