PDA

View Full Version : S&W 629, worth getting ported?

calimarine45
05-25-2012, 02:11 AM
This is my first post on the forum.

I recently picked up a 629 with a 4in barrel and I'm curious if anyone has got theirs ported and where from if they did. I have heard some good things about doing it and others that say its a waste.

The revolver is going to be used for backwoods camping and hopefully an Alaskan trip in the next year. I don't currently have the ability to handload so what might be a good factory load to look at as well. Black Bear and large cats will be the main four legged worries.

Thanks for any help.

Robinson
05-25-2012, 07:34 AM
My personal feeling is that a 4" steel gun doesn't need porting. Of course, I'm not a big fan of porting anyway.

Plus, that gun is already loud enough...

GJM
05-25-2012, 09:12 AM
For bears, the Garrett Defender load. Federal Cast Core is a less expensive alternative.

JHC
05-25-2012, 11:13 AM
I've owned a few S&W .44 mags but just one now. It's a 4" Magna-ported 629. I agree with Robinson. It isn't worth it. If it helps at all, I sure can't tell.

Al T.
05-25-2012, 03:50 PM
Best thing I ever did to suck the sting out of my 4 inch M629 was to get a set of the rubber grips S&W makes for the X frame (.460 & .500) revolvers. Those grips will fit a round butt N frame just fine. The Sorbothane back strap is incredible at taking the slap out, though the muzzle flip is still there.

JHC
05-25-2012, 04:16 PM
Best thing I ever did to suck the sting out of my 4 inch M629 was to get a set of the rubber grips S&W makes for the X frame (.460 & .500) revolvers. Those grips will fit a round butt N frame just fine. The Sorbothane back strap is incredible at taking the slap out, though the muzzle flip is still there.

I have an extra set if someone wants to try them.

That's a great tip. I didn't know about those. My 629 has had the round butt treatment from Magna-Port way back in the day. I need to try some of those as it's a pain to shoot.

WDW
05-25-2012, 05:35 PM
I wouldn't. I shot my 629-1 today actually & the recoil ain't too bad.

bofe954
05-25-2012, 06:16 PM
I have a superblackhawk I had magna ported. Other than being "kinda neat", I don't think it's helpful. If I had it to do over, I wouldn't.

I do believe the ports on USPSA open guns work, but when you look at those compared with what magnaport and the factory guns do, it seems obvious that the factory stuff won't work.

Al T.
05-25-2012, 06:18 PM
10mm, depends on the load. My pet load drives a 240 grain LSWC at about 1,000 fps. Brisk, but manageable - in fact I've shot IDPA with that load. Going up to the 270 grain Gold Dot or Federal Cast-Core loads is a different world.

GJM
05-25-2012, 06:50 PM

Hamilton Bowen recommended that, and I bought a number of sets of them. With some experience, I found them unsatisfactory, because while they cushioned better than the standard Hogue grips, they didn't slide in recoil, and after a few rounds would cut the web of my hand when shooting the Scandium 329. I run the Hogue rubber grips with the finger grooves buzzed off.

Al T.
05-25-2012, 08:19 PM
after a few rounds would cut the web of my hand when shooting the Scandium 329

If ammo is a different world, Scandium framed wheelguns are a different cosmos. My .357 J frame is repulsive with .357 loads. Out of darn near 3K rounds, precisely 2 (two) were Magnum loads. I though the first was a fluke, but the second proved me wrong.

JHC
05-25-2012, 08:45 PM
if ammo is a different world, scandium framed wheelguns are a different cosmos. My .357 j frame is repulsive with .357 loads. Out of darn near 3k rounds, precisely 2 (two) were magnum loads. i though the first was a fluke, but the second proved me wrong.

:d roflmao!

calimarine45
05-25-2012, 09:57 PM
Thank you very much for the quick responses. Has greatly helped with my decision.