PDA

View Full Version : Out The Front (OTF) knives

Pages : [1] 2

Clusterfrack
05-06-2020, 10:28 AM
This thread is for discussing everything about OTF’s. Let’s see your knives, and talk about functionality, reliability, tradeoffs relative to conventional folders / fixed blades, and the best uses for them.

Clusterfrack
05-06-2020, 11:18 AM
My motivation for an OTF was for support side carry in a Clinch Pick role. Here’s a size comparison (from right): Microtech UTX-85, Spyderco P’Kal, Clinch Pick.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200506/cd0d8ceaf354f152e052be09112ca6b3.jpg

BobLoblaw
05-06-2020, 12:18 PM
My motivation for an OTF was for support side carry in a Clinch Pick role. Here’s a size comparison (from right): Microtech UTX-85, Spyderco P’Kal, Clinch Pick.

Have you sliced your thumb trying to retract the blade? I want a UTX-85 pretty bad but right now, the only ones available are D/E and the idea of placing my thumb that close to the blade gives me the heebie jeebies.

ETA: What blade steel did you get?

Clusterfrack
05-06-2020, 12:25 PM
I’ve had zero problems with it so far. I really don’t worry about cutting myself—in fact, it seems less of an issue to close an OTF than many folders. Being able to have a D/E seems like a big advantage of the OTF.

My knife came with m390, which I like a lot.

jetfire
05-06-2020, 12:41 PM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200506/cd0d8ceaf354f152e052be09112ca6b3.jpg

I have those exact same three knives, except my Microtech is red. I have discovered it's really useful for opening things one handed, and that it's like a fidget spinner for adults. The problem is I don't know how useful it actually is for opening people. I need to get a trainer and do EWO

Clusterfrack
05-06-2020, 12:47 PM
... I need to get a trainer and do EWO

Is there a trainer? That would be really useful.

I've done well with a support side waved folder in training, so I expect the OTF would be no worse, unless something fouled the blade as it opened. I like that you can operate it from any body position. The wave openers are a challenge from guard or similar positions.

jetfire
05-06-2020, 01:01 PM
I didn't even think to look if they made a trainer, which apparently they do not. However! This company: https://ravencresttactical.com/product-category/titan-bravo-otf-knives/ makes cheap Micrcotech knock-offs, and they also sell a training blade for it: https://ravencresttactical.com/shop/titan-bravo-training-blade/

So if you're willing to spend $150 to get a trainer, you can. And also not worry about breaking it during EWO

Duke
05-06-2020, 01:06 PM
Haven’t poked anyone with it yet.

Clusterfrack
05-06-2020, 01:08 PM
I looked at the Ravens Crest copy just now, but $100 for a Chinese knife with a zinc alloy handle seems steep.

Totem Polar
05-06-2020, 01:09 PM
I saw my first OTF in a souk in Amman, Jordan when I was a kid. I’ve never gotten over that initial hit of "how cool is that!”

Pros: Cool AF; relatively safe for fingers; DE in a folder; fun
Cons: Heavy AF; chunky; complex; harder to maintain; blade wobble; expensive at every quality/price point

They’re the Bisley Blackhawk .44 special of the cutlery world: if you want one of these boat anchors for a super cool adult fidget spinner, then by all means... but there are way better options for edc.

Totem Polar
05-06-2020, 01:18 PM
I can already see a theme emerging: "relatively expensive adult fidget spinner."

Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Clusterfrack
05-06-2020, 01:18 PM
The UTX-85 is pretty light. It weighs a little over 3 Oz., less than a Griptilian. While $250 isn’t cheap, i think it’s reasonable for the quality. Maintenance and reliability remain unknown. However, the manufacturer recommendations are fairly simple—just flush with Rem oil and blow with air.

Totem Polar
05-06-2020, 01:25 PM
The UTX-85 is pretty light. It weighs a little over 3 Oz., less than a Griptilian. While $250 isn’t cheap, i think it’s reasonable for the quality.

The OTF market defines the dichotomy between affordable and quality.

I didn't even think to look if they made a trainer, which apparently they do not. However! This company: https://ravencresttactical.com/product-category/titan-bravo-otf-knives/ makes cheap Micrcotech knock-offs, and they also sell a training blade for it: https://ravencresttactical.com/shop/titan-bravo-training-blade/

So if you're willing to spend $150 to get a trainer, you can. And also not worry about breaking it during EWO

[thinking...]A trainer is not a knife... and probably is not illegal under that rampant 19th-c. copypasta legalese plaguing many states...[/thinking...]

Clusterfrack
05-06-2020, 01:29 PM
The OTF market defines the dichotomy between affordable and quality.

How so? A P’kal is similarly priced, and the Microtech has a higher quality blade.

dontshakepandas
05-06-2020, 01:38 PM
I have an Ultratech, and also have the Spyderco P'kal and a Ban Tang Clinch Pick.

I don't think I'd take the OTF for a defensive role. A piece of paper can keep the blade from opening fully, and I imagine it would be pretty likely that something would be in the way if you were grappling with someone. The P'kal works pretty well, and is what I use if I can't have a fixed blade for some reason but can be a challenge with certain clothes and positions. The advantage the P'kal, or any waved opener, has over an OTF is that if it doesn't open all the way, you can usually correct the problem by applying pressure to the blade which would force it the rest of the way open. With an OTF you have a paperweight until you have 2 hands free to fix the issue.

I use the Ultratech as a EDC knife to cut tape/packages or what not. I mostly chose it for that role just because its cool and fun to play with.

Clusterfrack
05-06-2020, 01:46 PM
I have an Ultratech, and also have the Spyderco P'kal and a Ban Tang Clinch Pick.

I don't think I'd take the OTF for a defensive role. A piece of paper can keep the blade from opening fully, and I imagine it would be pretty likely that something would be in the way if you were grappling with someone. The P'kal works pretty well, and is what I use if I can't have a fixed blade for some reason but can be a challenge with certain clothes and positions. The advantage the P'kal, or any waved opener, has over an OTF is that if it doesn't open all the way, you can usually correct the problem by applying pressure to the blade which would force it the rest of the way open. With an OTF you have a paperweight until you have 2 hands free to fix the issue.

I use the Ultratech as a EDC knife to cut tape/packages or what not. I mostly chose it for that role just because its cool and fun to play with.

That’s a great point about correcting a partial opening under stress. I wish we had a trainer.

However, at least with mine, I can flick the blade to full open very easily by inertia, with one hand, without changing grip. Want to try it and let us know what you think?

critter
05-06-2020, 01:51 PM
I absolutely don't have enough sense to carry or use a double edged knife -- OTF or otherwise. Either thumb or forefinger is on the back of the blade 95% of the time (thanks Grandpa the whittlin' guru). It's a mindless habit I can't seem to break.

I'm not a knife fighter -- at all. I can fubar someone with a flashlight but probably more apt to harm myself than an attacker if I attempted to use a blade in any defensive situation. At least I'm self aware.

That all being typed... my Microtech is strictly a functional task knife. Having insanely easy bi-directional operation comes in super handy. It's rare that I reach for a knife prior to realizing I need one, and always come to the realization after something is in hand which needs a knife. The OTF is top dog in that role for sure.

dontshakepandas
05-06-2020, 01:52 PM
That’s a great point about correcting a partial opening under stress. I wish we had a trainer.

However, at least with mine, I can flick the blade to full open very easily by inertia, with one hand, without changing grip. Want to try it and let us know what you think?

What made you want to go with an OTF over the clinch pick for that specific role? I don't think there are many options out there that can "out clinch pick" the clinch pick.

Clusterfrack
05-06-2020, 02:01 PM
What made you want to go with an OTF over the clinch pick for that specific role? I don't think there are many options out there that can "out clinch pick" the clinch pick.

Agreed.

This was to have a support side folder that could double in that role, when I’m not carrying a fixed blade.

dontshakepandas
05-06-2020, 02:06 PM
Agreed.

This was to have a support side folder that could double in that role, when I’m not carrying a fixed blade.

Gotcha. If I'm wearing a belt, I have my clinch pick on it, but I recently picked up one of their smaller push dagger prototypes that I've been using for support side carry when I'm not wearing a belt. The clip allows it to work great for casual or athletic shorts with no belt, so that might be something you could look into also if they are legal in your area.

I definitely think there are worse options than an OTF, but the biggest concern is the blade not opening. Worst case scenario you can use the glass breaker to bash them if the blade doesn't open and I imagine that would be fairly effective. Could at least buy you enough time to fix the blade or access your firearm.

Clusterfrack
05-06-2020, 02:17 PM
I definitely think there are worse options than an OTF, but the biggest concern is the blade not opening. Worst case scenario you can use the glass breaker to bash them if the blade doesn't open and I imagine that would be fairly effective. Could at least buy you enough time to fix the blade or access your firearm.

Opening a folder while someone is kicking your ass is hard. In the early days of my current dojo, it was just me and the instructor for over a year. We did a lot of edged weapons work, and one of the games was: he starts working me over, and only stops when my knife is open. I could fill a thread with pics of the bruises :D. It was way harder from support side, at least at first. Waved folders worked much better for me. The OTF is the next thing I want to try. But fixed blades FTW, of course.

Totem Polar
05-06-2020, 07:20 PM
How so? A P’kal is similarly priced, and the Microtech has a higher quality blade.

I stand corrected, both directions. The P’kal (https://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-SC103GP-PKal-Folding-Knife/dp/B01ALTPUX6/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3L44DZ0Z23C95&dchild=1&keywords=pkal+spyderco&qid=1590350723&sprefix=P%E2%80%99kal%2Caps%2C155&sr=8-2) is more than I remember, and the UTX-85 is less. I regret the error.
:)

Clusterfrack
05-06-2020, 07:31 PM
I stand corrected, both directions. The P’kal is more than I remember, and the UTX-85 is less. I regret the error.

The crazy thing about Microtech is the price range of their knives. Evidently collectors are willing to pay mad money ($1500!) for limited runs with special colors and shit. But the internals are the same as far as I can tell, which is good for people like me who use every knife they own. It definitely took me a while to remotely consider an OTF, but now that I have one, I'm glad I did. The quality is impressive.

I'm kind of worried that these are the 2011s of knives... and that's not me. At least not in the gun world.

Totem Polar
05-06-2020, 07:43 PM
I'm kind of worried that these are the 2011s of knives... and that's not me. At least not in the gun world.

I say you run with it, since you’re in a state where the 2011 of knives is protected by the state constitution.

To paraphrase Ferris Bueller: I don’t even have a derp blade. I have to envy yours.

Clusterfrack
05-06-2020, 07:46 PM
I say you run with it, since you’re in a state where the 2011 of knives is protected by the state constitution.

To paraphrase Ferris Bueller: I don’t even have a derp blade. I have to envy yours.

Yes, I'm going to run with it. Derp notwithstanding. But if I have the equivalent of a 1911 death jam with my OTF knife, I'll probably be selling it just like I did with all my 1911s after that happened.

paperman
05-06-2020, 08:42 PM
D/A OTF knives are my favorite, true one handed operation and great for people who love to fidget with things. Sadly I have a habit of losing, misusing, and breaking knives that I use as a fidget device.

Which led to me to what most say is the best cheap option Lightning knives made in China, 440c blade, aluminum handle, a strong thumb slide, lots of colors and blade styles and is almost never more than $40.

The paint does tend to chip off the edges but otherwise no complaints. My oldest one has been in use for 5 years and still going strong, and luckily I got it in orange so I haven’t lost it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clusterfrack
05-07-2020, 10:37 AM
I'm thinking back to EWO, and the table of knives SouthNarc put out. I can't remember if there was an OTF on that table. I don't see one.

https://assets.tripleaughtdesign.com/media/amp/images/cache/eb6944d9-89ce-4862-ad5d-36b1170cbdfb/display_v2.JPG

SouthNarc
05-07-2020, 10:41 AM
I'm thinking back to EWO, and the table of knives SouthNarc put out. I can't remember if there was an OTF on that table. I don't see one.

https://assets.tripleaughtdesign.com/media/amp/images/cache/eb6944d9-89ce-4862-ad5d-36b1170cbdfb/display_v2.JPG

Nope, no OTFs!

Clusterfrack
05-07-2020, 10:44 AM
Nope, no OTFs!

Any thoughts about the utility of OTFs? I’d appreciate your perspective.

SouthNarc
05-07-2020, 10:46 AM
Any thoughts about the utility of OTFs? I’d appreciate your perspective.

They don't do anything that regular one handed folders don't do IMO, except basically be a fidget spinner for knife nerds. Which can be cool!

Clusterfrack
05-07-2020, 10:48 AM
Makes sense. But you can get a double edged folder, so that’s a little extra?

SouthNarc
05-07-2020, 10:57 AM

Yeah man definitely if you don't live in a jurisdiction where double edged is verboten.

Wondering Beard
05-07-2020, 12:25 PM

If one want to carry a solid double edge folder (where legal), I would go with this rather than an automatic: Hinderer Knives: Maximus Dagger (https://www.monkeyedge.com/Hinderer-Knives-Maximus-Dagger-Working-Finish-p/rhk1664.htm)

No springs, No complicated internals, just a frame lock and a flipper and double edge.

That said, I understand perfectly the attraction to the OTF knives, especially the Microtechs because they are really cool. I'm sorely tempted to get one just because :-)

JodyH
05-07-2020, 02:20 PM

Hogue Compound
Microtech UTX-85
Microtech Exocet

Double action OTF's for me are primarily utility knives.
I use my UTX-85 constantly when I'm in the office or warehouse. The one handed instant open and close means less juggling and also means I'm less likely to set my pocket knife down somewhere and lose it.
The Hogue is a bit larger but being G10 it's also very light weight, not quite as slick of an action as the Microtechs but the deep carry pocket clip makes it lower profile in a pocket.
The Exocet is a great money clip, I've walked it right through several corporate security checks by placing it "money side up" in the clear plastic tray along with my wallet and keys while I step through the metal detector. The warm body running the screening has never given it a second glance (probably forbidden from actually touching wallets or cash out of liability). The 2" dagger blade isn't much, but better than nothing.

I'm not keen on making any OTF my primary self defense knife, it's too easy to interrupt the deployment.
Give me a small fixed blade any time it's an option.

BobLoblaw
05-07-2020, 06:04 PM
I don’t know what happened. Either I blacked out or my card jumped out of my wallet.

Clusterfrack
05-07-2020, 06:05 PM
I don’t know what happened. Either I blacked out or my card jumped out of my wallet.

P-F Orange! Very nice.

Casual Friday
05-08-2020, 06:38 PM
I need to make another trip over the border into Oregon.

Up1911Fan
05-08-2020, 07:22 PM
This thread just cost me $.

Clusterfrack
05-08-2020, 07:33 PM
This thread just cost me $.

Apparently I am good at spending other people's money.

... Clusterfrack’s malevolent machinations against my wallet.

I will FUCK UP your wallet. When I'm done with it, there will be nothing but ATM receipts and overdrawn credit cards. Your wallet will be skinnier than a tweaker ho. It won't even have a condom in it because it already reused it 12 times for $5 blow jobs. Your wallet doesn't even remember what a $20 bill looks like.

JodyH
05-09-2020, 09:02 AM
Just a FYI on using a OTF as a utility knife.
Tape residue (or really any goo on the blade) is the bane of a OTF's existence, do your best to avoid letting the blade get gummed up and then retracting it.
If your OTF does get gummed up inside, blast it out with some non-chlorinated brake cleaner, let it drip dry, blow it out with compressed air, then hit it with a very light shot of good lock lubricant like Abus PS-88.
Good as new without any disassembly.

Clusterfrack
05-19-2020, 09:48 AM
Quick update on my UTX-85: After EDCing it since purchasing, I really like this knife. Carried support side, the OTF mechanism makes it easy to deploy, use, and retract with my left hand. The knife is surprisingly light, at just over 3 Oz., and lighter than an Endura. The blade is superb. Maybe the finest quality of any knife I’ve owned, with the exception of a couple fixed blades. The action was smooth to begin with, and has gotten smoother. I was concerned that pocket lint would get in the slot, but that hasn’t happened so far.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200519/b8d0f054f3c75667a4bb5627face153c.jpg

awp_101
05-24-2020, 09:02 AM
Has anyone heard of or have any observations on these? CobraTec Knives (https://cobratecknives.com/)

I stopped in a new to me gun store and they had a case of them. Supposedly they top out around $180, all blades are D2. I don't see anything on their website about place of manufacture other than "Assembled to order in Waxahachie, Texas" so I'm guessing parts manufactured outside the US and shipped here for assembly.

Clusterfrack
05-24-2020, 12:08 PM
awp_101, I don't have any experience with CobraTech. Externally, they look like Microtech knockoffs. The thing that has made me hesitant to consider all but the most well-vetted OTFs is that there's a lot going on inside these knives that we can't see. It's fairly obvious if a Chinese folding knife is of decent quality. (Well not the treatment of the steel, but still). But an OTF lends itself to nice looking externals and pot-metal internals.

Hopefully in this thread we can build a list of trustworthy OTFs? A good buddy just bought a Guardian Tactical OTF (https://www.guardiantacticalusa.com), and I'll have a report soon.

https://www.guardiantacticalusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/splash-2-1030x1025.png

awp_101
05-24-2020, 01:41 PM
The thing that has made me hesitant to consider all but the most well-vetted OTFs is that there's a lot going on inside these knives that we can't see. It's fairly obvious if a Chinese folding knife is of decent quality. ... But an OTF lends itself to nice looking externals and pot-metal internals.
Very true. Honestly, an OTF for me would just be a grown up fidget spinner. I like helping out local places but if it's just exterior cosmetics with crap internals, I can get that from Amazon for a bunch less.

I'm going to play with it (phrasing), not point to it in my display saying "My my, ain't that pretty?"

paperman
05-24-2020, 02:25 PM
Has anyone heard of or have any observations on these? CobraTec Knives (https://cobratecknives.com/)

I stopped in a new to me gun store and they had a case of them. Supposedly they top out around $180, all blades are D2. I don't see anything on their website about place of manufacture other than "Assembled to order in Waxahachie, Texas" so I'm guessing parts manufactured outside the US and shipped here for assembly.

From a reddit post

Talked to cobratec reps(local to me) and the fact that ravencrest tactical,helleytec ravencrest,widowmaker otf and vipertec all sell the same design.on top of that you can find the exact same knife on dhgate/aliexpress for pennies on the dollar.they buy wholesale.some go the extra mile and buy rebranded kits to rebuild them in the U.S to say "made in america"

Not sure how accurate it is but their knives do look quite similar.

awp_101
05-24-2020, 02:40 PM
From a reddit post

Talked to cobratec reps(local to me) and the fact that ravencrest tactical,helleytec ravencrest,widowmaker otf and vipertec all sell the same design.on top of that you can find the exact same knife on dhgate/aliexpress for pennies on the dollar.they buy wholesale.some go the extra mile and buy rebranded kits to rebuild them in the U.S to say "made in america"

Not sure how accurate it is but their knives do look quite similar.

That makes sense based on what I saw when I was tinkering with fixed blades 10 years ago. Buy the components from a wholesaler, assemble, shape the scales or handle and sell it as "Handmade in America".

Totem Polar
05-24-2020, 02:47 PM
I am reasonably certain that there is some truth to the discussion of imported parts and the brands mentioned (Ravencrest, et al.). I am also reasonably certain that there is a noticeable jump in quality going from the import parts knives to a microtech. That said, if it’s just a fidget toy, the import stuff can fit the bill, or so I’ve heard.

If I was in a position to edc an OTF, I’d be looking at the one that CF is flexing with. JMO.

JodyH
05-25-2020, 06:31 PM
Took a lot of willpower to walk away from a well priced Microtech Combat Troodon last Thursday.
The little knife shop in the mall was pretty flexible on pricing since he's been closed down for two months and mall traffic was still pretty much nill.
If it was black, OD green or FDE I'd have bought it on the spot for the discount he was offering, but the damn thing is red. He's going to have to come down another $25 to sell me on a red knife.

Hambo
05-26-2020, 05:33 AM
Took a lot of willpower to walk away from a well priced Microtech Combat Troodon last Thursday.
The little knife shop in the mall was pretty flexible on pricing since he's been closed down for two months and mall traffic was still pretty much nill.
If it was black, OD green or FDE I'd have bought it on the spot for the discount he was offering, but the damn thing is red. He's going to have to come down another $25 to sell me on a red knife.

I'm the exact opposite. If I drop something outdoors I'd like to have a chance of finding it.

JodyH
05-26-2020, 06:28 AM
I'm the exact opposite. If I drop something outdoors I'd like to have a chance of finding it.

That's why a bright orange Spyderco Autonomy (https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP165GSOR/spyderco-c165gsor-autonomy-auto-folding-knife-h-1-satin-serrated-blade-orange-g10-handles) is my outdoors knife.

OTF's have to be kept too clean for outdoors use anyway.

Clusterfrack
05-26-2020, 10:18 AM
OTF's have to be kept too clean for outdoors use anyway.

I intend to test this conventional wisdom. I have carried and used the OTF on one wet and dirty backcountry day trip, and will continue to use it outdoors. I’m eager to see what it will take to induce a failure.

Clusterfrack
05-26-2020, 11:06 AM
Buddy’s Guardian Recon 035

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200526/cfa6e786df4c04f1222233fc5bd1f548.jpg

Up1911Fan
06-01-2020, 06:46 PM
This showed up today. 55200

Clusterfrack
06-03-2020, 10:40 AM
Last night I was hanging out (at a 6' distance) with a few buddies, including a retired federal agent. This guy produced his EDC, a Ravencrest Tactical (http://ravencresttactical.com/) OTF (see image below), and we had the opportunity to compare it to my UTX-85. He's not a knife guy, and our takeaways were very different:

Him: Microtech... never heard of it. This knife seems too light and flimsy. It's hard to imagine that you could actually use it for real stuff without it breaking. [cuts himself] Ow! This blade is really sharp. I like the blade... wow this is kind of a cool knife... how much was it? $250? No fucking way. That's $100 more than I paid for mine. Fuck that.

Me: Cool knife. Looks like you've used it a lot. Nice to see someone else EDCing a OTF.

What was thinking but didn't say: The action is ok, and it's kind of impressive that even a Chinese knockoff OTF can keep working for years of hard use. That's a good sign for OTFs in general. The knife was of poor quality in some very obvious ways. There was a lot of blade play in multiple axes. It rattled when shaken. The build quality was low, but if you didn't look too close, it wasn't obvious. And the Ravenscrest is incredibly heavy, which makes sense because the handle is huge, and made from zinc pot metal. My buddy likes the weight because he could use it as a Kubotan.

It was like comparing a High Point to a CNCed custom gun, except the Ravenscrest costs an outrageous $150. Maybe $50 is a fair price for this knife, but I wouldn't want one.

mrozowjj
06-06-2020, 08:27 PM

Hogue Compound
Microtech UTX-85
Microtech Exocet

Double action OTF's for me are primarily utility knives.
I use my UTX-85 constantly when I'm in the office or warehouse. The one handed instant open and close means less juggling and also means I'm less likely to set my pocket knife down somewhere and lose it.
The Hogue is a bit larger but being G10 it's also very light weight, not quite as slick of an action as the Microtechs but the deep carry pocket clip makes it lower profile in a pocket.
The Exocet is a great money clip, I've walked it right through several corporate security checks by placing it "money side up" in the clear plastic tray along with my wallet and keys while I step through the metal detector. The warm body running the screening has never given it a second glance (probably forbidden from actually touching wallets or cash out of liability). The 2" dagger blade isn't much, but better than nothing.

I'm not keen on making any OTF my primary self defense knife, it's too easy to interrupt the deployment.
Give me a small fixed blade any time it's an option.

I was curious how big that Hogue would so that comparison is helpful. Looks more like standard Ultratech size. The UTX-85 is just about the perfect size for me. If it was like the UTX-88 or UTX-90 I think it would be the perfect EDC size for me with my hand.

I keep hoping they'll make them legal in WA state so I can actually buy one and carry it but for now I just fondle them when I go to Portland or Vegas or whatever.

Up1911Fan
06-07-2020, 08:32 PM
These things are gonna be an expensive rabbit hole. Recieved my first Ultratech a week ago. Just ordered a Troodon in PF orange.

Joe45
06-08-2020, 07:48 AM
Anyone have experience with the Brian Tighe and Friends twist Tighe?

Clusterfrack
06-08-2020, 12:27 PM
I was co-teaching a defensive pistol class* last weekend, and my buddy with the Guardian Recon 035 was a student. I got to compare the Recon to my UTX-85, and here are my thoughts:

The Recon has a larger handle, and is good fit for bigger hands. But it's not a monster in the pocket. Quality seems almost comparable to the Microtech, with a little more blade play but not significant. The action is very positive and smooth. The blade is very high quality, but not quite as good as the Microtech.

I could be happy with a Guardian Recon, and recommend it from what I've seen.

Buddy’s Guardian Recon 035

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200526/cfa6e786df4c04f1222233fc5bd1f548.jpg

*also present was the girl who shot me in the junk with airsoft (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?42143-Air-soft-Any-value&p=1038371&viewfull=1#post1038371) at a FoF session. She was a good student at this class, but I have to say I was a little worried at first :D.

Up1911Fan
06-10-2020, 04:28 PM

Clusterfrack
06-14-2020, 09:15 AM
For some added grip, I applied Dragon Grips Hexagon decals to the UTX-85:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DD69HKJ

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200614/9f8d21ae27b53ebf84affedeb0dd62c1.jpg

These knives are hard to open for people with limited hand strength. My 24yr old daughter had to use both hands and both thumbs to do it.

Clusterfrack
06-20-2020, 02:05 PM
Two backcountry trips with the UTX-85. Still working great for me.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200620/ca36d5d73b0588365c75914b84c19ba3.jpg

JodyH
07-03-2020, 08:52 AM
I have zero willpower.
Microtech Combat Troodon with a black double serrated edge blade, green handle inbound.
Microtech UTX-70 with a stone washed single edge blade, violet handle inbound for the wife.

JodyH
07-04-2020, 08:11 AM
"Scratch and dent" Microtech HALO VI (https://bladeops.com/scratch-dent-microtech-250-1-halo-vi-t-e-otf-auto-knife-black-blade/) somebody go buy it before I burn up my Amex again.
If you've never played with a HALO VI... let's just say the blade launch is impressive since it's a single action and there's no retraction spring balance to worry about.

Up1911Fan
07-04-2020, 03:25 PM
I have zero willpower.
Microtech Combat Troodon with a black double serrated edge blade, green handle inbound.
Microtech UTX-70 with a stone washed single edge blade, violet handle inbound for the wife.

Combat Troodon is on my short list. Want a single edge blacked out one. Most of the ones instock have stainless hardware.

JodyH
07-04-2020, 03:47 PM
Combat Troodon is on my short list. Want a single edge blacked out one. Most of the ones instock have stainless hardware.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Microtech-Combat-Troodon-SE-OTF--98129

Up1911Fan
07-04-2020, 03:53 PM
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Microtech-Combat-Troodon-SE-OTF--98129

Thanks, but too many serrations. Found one instock somewhere, just not sure I want that or an RDS for my G45.

JodyH
07-04-2020, 06:26 PM
Dang it.
I told you guys to buy that HALO VI before I did.
Too late now, it's headed my way.
:cool:

Clusterfrack
07-04-2020, 06:32 PM
Dang it.
I told you guys to buy that HALO VI before I did.
Too late now, it's headed my way.

LOL. I was thinking “wait for it... wait for it...”

JodyH
07-04-2020, 06:50 PM
LOL. I was thinking “wait for it... wait for it...”
It helps that I sold two Sig P320's today for a tidy sum.

Clusterfrack
07-04-2020, 06:54 PM
It helps that I sold two Sig P320's today for a tidy sum.

Great trade. I just sold a FN SLP I, and have some cash for something fun. Stand by for a few months. Secret project...

JodyH
07-07-2020, 07:18 AM
Combat Troodon (fightin size)
UTX-85 (perfect everyday carry size)
UTX-70 (it's soooo cute, wife loves it)

JodyH
07-09-2020, 07:07 PM
HALO VI is a beast.
When it fires... it has recoil.

Here it is next to my already XL Combat Troodon.

btw: "scratch & dent" means I had to search for the scuff mark and I'm still not sure that I actually found it. 1 day in my pocket and that blemish won't even be visible.

Totem Polar
07-09-2020, 08:42 PM
Is there some sort of plaque we can send Jody for crushing this thread into fucking dust? Just asking.

JodyH
07-10-2020, 07:33 AM
Despite being 6.5" long (closed) and not having a pocket clip the HALO VI carries better than the Combat Troodon.
The HALO has is slightly skinnier all the way around and has a smooth handle.
Here lately I've been carrying my "big" knife in that little mini-pocket that's in the bottom of the right front pocket of Duluth Firehose cargo shorts and the HALO drops right in and slides right out.
No exposed pocket clip to draw attention.
Only real issue with the HALO is it's single action so it requires two hands to reset, that'd be a deal killer for a utility knife but no big deal for a stabby stabby knife.
Besides, how cool is it that my knife has a AR style charging handle?

Wyoming Shooter
07-10-2020, 08:40 AM
Any thoughts on the Benchmade Phaeton https://www.bladehq.com/item--Benchmade-4600DLC-Phaeton-DA-OTF--51639 ?

JodyH
07-10-2020, 08:51 AM
I don't buy new Benchmade products.

For the same price I'd go Hogue or Guardian.

Up1911Fan
07-10-2020, 09:13 AM
Any thoughts on the Benchmade Phaeton https://www.bladehq.com/item--Benchmade-4600DLC-Phaeton-DA-OTF--51639 ?
I'd buy a Microtech instead.

Clusterfrack
07-10-2020, 10:47 AM
Is there some sort of plaque we can send Jody for crushing this thread into fucking dust? Just asking.

"King of the OTF"!

FYI, I have plans to be a contender... stay tuned.

Clusterfrack
07-10-2020, 10:57 AM
Despite being 6.5" long (closed) and not having a pocket clip the HALO VI carries better than the Combat Troodon.
The HALO has is slightly skinnier all the way around and has a smooth handle.

That's interesting. I totally believe it. I've found that the UTX-85 carries more easily than even smaller blades because of the narrow profile. Adding DragonGrip decals (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DD69HKJ/) helps a lot with making the smooth handle more grippy. So far, the decals have not come off, even after spraying with RemOil to clean and lube. Applying them to an alcohol-cleaned surface, and heating gently with a heat gun may have helped.

I don't buy new Benchmade products. For the same price I'd go Hogue or Guardian.

I'd buy a Microtech instead.

I agree. The older Benchmade OTFs are pretty crude in comparison to Microtechs or Guardians. I haven't had a chance to play with the new ones, but they sure cost more for what you get, and don't have Microtech's track record. I also haven't felt a Hogue, but what I've read is encouraging.

Up1911Fan
07-10-2020, 10:58 AM
"King of the OTF"!

FYI, I have plans to be a contender... stay tuned.

Right there with ya.

Up1911Fan
07-10-2020, 11:00 AM
That's interesting. I totally believe it. I've found that the UTX-85 carries more easily than even smaller blades because of the narrow profile. Adding DragonGrip decals (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DD69HKJ/) helps a lot with making the smooth handle more grippy. So far, the decals have not come off, even after spraying with RemOil to clean and lube. Applying them to an alcohol-cleaned surface, and heating gently with a heat gun may have helped.

I agree. The older Benchmade OTFs are pretty crude in comparison to Microtechs or Guardians. I haven't had a chance to play with the new ones, but they sure cost more for what you get, and don't have Microtech's track record. I also haven't felt a Hogue, but what I've read is encouraging.

I haven't handled an 85, but I much prefer my Troodon to the Ultratech. It's not much thicker, but feels better/more secure in the hand.

Clusterfrack
07-15-2020, 11:06 PM
At a USPSA match this evening, a guy’s Benchmade Infidel OTF somehow opened in his pocket and he poked his leg and cut his hand fairly seriously.

Wondering Beard
07-16-2020, 10:12 AM
At a USPSA match this evening, a guy’s Benchmade Infidel OTF somehow opened in his pocket and he poked his leg and cut his hand fairly seriously.

That's exactly the thing I was worried about when I got interested in getting an OTF.

Is there a "best practices" for carrying an OTF auto?

Clusterfrack
07-16-2020, 10:46 AM
That's exactly the thing I was worried about when I got interested in getting an OTF.

Is there a "best practices" for carrying an OTF auto?

Get a good one, that locks in the closed condition with a hardened steel gate, and requires significant pressure to unlock and fire. Eg. Microtech. I'm less concerned about mine coming open than I am with a folder.

Sorry, that was snarky. I don't know why this knife opened, and it was probably user error. I'm annoyed with Benchmade for other reasons, and their OTFs seem ok, although a bit loose.

dontshakepandas
07-16-2020, 11:05 AM
Get a good one, that locks in the closed condition with a hardened steel gate, and requires significant pressure to unlock and fire. Eg. Microtech. I'm less concerned about mine coming open than I am with a folder.

Sorry, that was snarky. I don't know why this knife opened, and it was probably user error. I'm annoyed with Benchmade for other reasons, and their OTFs seem ok, although a bit loose.

I don't have any data to back this up, but I feel having the switch on the flat of the knife rather than the side makes it a little more likely. I carry my Ultratech with the switch buried in the crease of my back pocket where it would be extremely unlikely for anything else in the pocket or external forces to come in contact with it. The switch being on the flat of the knife like on an Infidel is less protected and would be either directly up against your body and could be activated by sitting/standing or could be manipulated by something touching the outside of your pocket like leaning or sitting on something.

Wondering Beard
07-16-2020, 11:13 AM

No worries about the snark, 1) I didn't notice it and 2) I don't have an OTF presently and it probably would be illegal to carry in my jurisdiction, so I don't have any prejudices about brands; my present interest is more about the "cool new toy" than anything else but I do like my "cool new toys" to be reliable and safe to the same degree that my real world use tools are; thus your, and others, experience with OTFs is very much of interest to me before I decide to buy. I do, however, worry about the internal complexity of the mechanism (compared to a regular folder) and thus its reliability, safety and capability to handle all the nasty stuff that comes along (and gets inside it) in daily life; and I also naturally wonder if there is, or should be, a sort of "proper handling rules" for an auto that are different than for handling a regular folder.

That's why I keep reading this thread, to keep learning. :-)

Chance
07-16-2020, 02:17 PM
These knives are hard to open for people with limited hand strength.

Or when your hands are self-lubricating. On some number of occasions have I pulled my Microtech out of my pocket only to find it literally impossible to open due to how slick my hands were. These grip decals may be just what I needed.

But yeah, "fidget spinner" is exactly how I would describe these things. I abandoned it as a self-defense concept shortly after buying it, even though I still carry it everywhere because it's really neat. I've gotten desensitized to opening the thing after having had it for so long, and have accidentally caused alarm on more than one occasion for using it when I probably should have known better.

Clusterfrack
07-16-2020, 03:07 PM
Here are some images I pulled from a Microtech disassembly video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qImZOvAiuq8). You can see how the hardened steel gates hold the blade in place, but the spring is only partially tensioned until the slider is moved to the opposite end of its channel, which releases the gate. It seems like a failure point is the gate. If the close-gate was stuck, it wouldn't hold the blade in, and if the open-gate was stuck the blade wouldn't stay open under pressure. Seems like both gates are easy enough to test every now and then by partially depressing the slider.

JodyH
07-18-2020, 07:55 AM
Having the slide on the flats versus the spine is definitely a factor when it comes to accidental activation in a pocket.
I could see something catching the clip as you kneeled down which would push the knife up. If the pocket was tight enough that the slide was pressed against your leg at the same time the slide might stay put as the knife move up, effectively pushing the slide forward and firing the blade.
I wanted a Hawk Deadlock, but after playing with one... no way. That thing has way too smooth and light of an action for pocket carry IMO.

On my Microtechs I don't see that happening. The pocket clips are all pretty tight so they resist being pushed up and out of the pocket inadvertently, and the slides take a manly push to activate.

My HALO VI has a side plunger but it also has a mini-slide lock on the plunger so again it would be very difficult to accidently launch.
A pocket launch with the single action HALO could be ugly. On a single action the blade is under constant ejection spring tension, the springs keep forcing the blade open until it locks unlike a double action in which a partial opening leaves you with a floppy untensioned blade.

Clusterfrack
08-06-2020, 01:59 PM
“Switchblade? No, it’s a Modern Sporting Knife.”

Clusterfrack
08-24-2020, 10:55 PM
Just put down a deposit on a Hawk Deadlock. Marbled carbon fiber, double edge, tumbled titanium. Should be ready in a couple months.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200825/bcdee2b62014a0ad6e88bb570d8fb687.jpg

JodyH
08-25-2020, 06:39 AM
Just put down a deposit on a Hawk Deadlock. Marbled carbon fiber, double edge, tumbled titanium. Should be ready in a couple months.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200825/bcdee2b62014a0ad6e88bb570d8fb687.jpg

I've come way close to buying one way too many times.
Awesome handmade autos.

jh9
08-25-2020, 06:28 PM
I suppose here's as good a place as any to ask.

Anyone know where I can find a replacement spring for a 2012 vintage Microtech Makora 2? This thing has a garage door spring in it and damn near takes two hands to fire. Never has "broken in" and I think the overpowered spring is the cause of the knife misfiring relatively often. I think they had a rolling product improvement with a lighter spring somewhere down the line.

JodyH
08-27-2020, 06:58 AM
I suppose here's as good a place as any to ask.

Anyone know where I can find a replacement spring for a 2012 vintage Microtech Makora 2? This thing has a garage door spring in it and damn near takes two hands to fire. Never has "broken in" and I think the overpowered spring is the cause of the knife misfiring relatively often. I think they had a rolling product improvement with a lighter spring somewhere down the line.
You can usually find Microtech rebuild kits on eBay.
Or just send it back to Microtech for service.
Microtech is a lot like H&K in that their reputation for shitty customer service is way overblown.

Clusterfrack
08-27-2020, 01:46 PM
Bladeology Podcast Episode 16: Grant & Gavin Hawk discuss the design of the Deadlock OTF.
https://soundcloud.com/user-954088207-791864758/bladeology-episode-16-grant-gavin-hawk

rob_s
08-27-2020, 04:04 PM
Any opinions on Heretic? particularly this model?
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Heretic-Knives-Manticore-S-Double--115326
I'm very intrigued by the listed overall thickness of 0.33" but I find it a bit suspect...

Another option claiming only .32" thickness?
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Microtech-UTX70-DA-OTF-SE--5198

Clusterfrack
08-27-2020, 05:37 PM
I don't have any hands-on experience with Heretic OTFs. It looks like they are a good alternative to Microtech. The blades of the Model S and UTX-70 are a little thin (0.09 and 0.08") for my taste. These are small knives. I find that my UTX-85 is already very small and easy to carry. Do you need to keep the blade below 3"

I do believe the specs. The Ultratech is 0.47” thick, and 70% of that is 0.33”, close to what you saw for the UTX70

Any opinions on Heretic? particularly this model?
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Heretic-Knives-Manticore-S-Double--115326
I'm very intrigued by the listed overall thickness of 0.33" but I find it a bit suspect...

Another option claiming only .32" thickness?
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Microtech-UTX70-DA-OTF-SE--5198

rob_s
08-28-2020, 05:17 AM
I don't have any hands-on experience with Heretic OTFs. It looks like they are a good alternative to Microtech. The blades of the Model S and UTX-70 are a little thin (0.09 and 0.08") for my taste. These are small knives. I find that my UTX-85 is already very small and easy to carry. Do you need to keep the blade below 3"

I do believe the specs. The Ultratech is 0.47” thick, and 70% of that is 0.33”, close to what you saw for the UTX70

Small is the key for me. I’m looking for something interesting to carry IWB in dress pants.

I just wish I could finger bang a couple of these before buying. Don’t want to wind up TOO small. I’m also considering some side-owners but that’s for a different thread...

Clusterfrack
08-28-2020, 09:57 AM
Got it. When I get a chance, I’ll post a side view similar to post #2 in this thread. I suppose one could remove the pocket clip if that wasn’t needed.

Also:

Combat Troodon (fightin size)
UTX-85 (perfect everyday carry size)
UTX-70 (it's soooo cute, wife loves it)

RevolverRob
08-31-2020, 10:46 AM
This thread was a BAD influence on me - I may have just pre-ordered one of these:

And yes, I know it's super geeky to get the Mandalorian-themed one; I do not care, it's awesome.

Clusterfrack
08-31-2020, 12:51 PM
UTX-85, Ban Tang CP, Spyderco P’Kal, all roughly the same thickness. rob_s

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200831/f06732cb1ed0df7599196eb2f1920b0d.jpg

Clusterfrack
08-31-2020, 03:14 PM
MAC video on some knives, including Benchmade Infidel and Microtech Ultratech:

https://youtu.be/QOuiLljSCfI?t=300

Note that he doesn't appear to have figured out that you can very quickly flick a partially deployed OTF to the out position. (No need to grab it with your hand and pull it into place.)

Clusterfrack
09-05-2020, 11:32 PM
Wolf scat, Umatilla NF. UTX-85 for scale.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200906/e399678df66d213a482ab6d0c0949806.jpg

RevolverRob
09-21-2020, 01:17 PM
Adult Fidget Spinner inbound!

RevolverRob
09-25-2020, 04:45 PM
This...this...is the way. Why I waited so long, I do not know.

p/CFkyid6pMAV

Clusterfrack
09-25-2020, 05:11 PM
This...this...is the way. Why I waited so long, I do not know.

Very nice, RR! Welcome to the OTF club. Membership is a little expensive... but well worth it IMO. How do you like that tanto? Are you carrying it support side?

RevolverRob
09-25-2020, 09:00 PM
Very nice, RR! Welcome to the OTF club. Membership is a little expensive... but well worth it IMO. How do you like that tanto? Are you carrying it support side?

I've always big fan of American-style tantos, because I find them a bit easier to maintain with the junction between the belly and tip.

I'm in the strong side pocket as usual for me for folders. My clinch pick is setup on the weakside for either hand access. "Folders" are strictly utility for me these days. If used as a defensive tool it would be way down on the list.

If I'm pocket carrying a pistol it's in a vest or coat pocket so no concerns for pocket space.

Loving the auto so far, the snick-snack of opening is intoxicating. And I like the one handed closing. We'll see how it does when I'm out in the garage tomorrow.

Clusterfrack
10-01-2020, 11:02 AM
Hawk Deadlock!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201001/38b32b116da2f0dcd2ea99fa0afc5ac5.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201001/01906638ce05077ca1d74e87d706319c.jpg

Totem Polar
10-01-2020, 11:07 AM
^^^The bunk; I’ll be in it...

Clusterfrack
10-01-2020, 11:36 AM
Size comparison:
UTX-85, Deadlock, ZT0620

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201001/718116a357c7c74610f0b9ce77a60884.jpg

rca90gsx
10-01-2020, 02:13 PM
Yeah...that is super nice

Hawk Deadlock!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201001/38b32b116da2f0dcd2ea99fa0afc5ac5.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201001/01906638ce05077ca1d74e87d706319c.jpg

Edm1
10-07-2020, 06:12 PM
I just sold my UTX-85. I tried to like it..I really did.. sent it in to have it sharpened because it wasn’t sharp. Got it back and it still didn’t seem sharp. Mine had a drop point blade M390. I found the blade to be thick. I’m used to and prefer thinner blades for slicing. This one wouldn’t. It was cool to play with and seemed well built. But honestly, I use my blades mostly for opening mail, cutting rope, harvesting vegetables from the garden, cutting cardboard. My Microtech sucked at those tasks. Won’t say I’ll never buy another, I’d have to find a slimmer blade however.

Clusterfrack
10-08-2020, 12:54 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201008/9acdaef00226eee244e3d9bee575edae.jpg

Clusterfrack
10-09-2020, 11:15 AM
I just sold my UTX-85. I tried to like it..I really did.. sent it in to have it sharpened because it wasn’t sharp. Got it back and it still didn’t seem sharp. Mine had a drop point blade M390. I found the blade to be thick. I’m used to and prefer thinner blades for slicing. This one wouldn’t. It was cool to play with and seemed well built. But honestly, I use my blades mostly for opening mail, cutting rope, harvesting vegetables from the garden, cutting cardboard. My Microtech sucked at those tasks. Won’t say I’ll never buy another, I’d have to find a slimmer blade however.

Most OTFs, and Microtechs especially have narrow blades with an acute taper. Double edged ones even more so. My UTX-85 was shaving sharp, and still is. But it’s not a great slicer. I do like having full length plain and serrated edges. That’s useful.

The single edge Guardian Tactical OTFs seem like a good option for a more traditional blade profile.

rob_s
10-09-2020, 11:55 AM

makes me feel better about my leanings towards UTX-70. Thinner blade on that one, and application is similar to yours. Basic dad/office shit.

RevolverRob
10-10-2020, 08:17 AM
I'm loving my UTX-85. But I do find it difficult to sharpen. The shallow edge grind they chose, along with the fuller in my tanto make it difficult to sharpen a single spot on the blade, I instead need to full-length run it down a stone.

That said an extra fine diamond hone has gotten me shaving sharp, but with a wiry edge. I cannot seem to strop the edge without ruining it though (so I can build a nice burr and knock it down a bit, but not as far as I'd like).

If Microtech made a nice full flat ground utility blade, it would be the ticket.

ScotchMan
10-12-2020, 09:20 AM
Somewhat different experience with the UTX-85, it's in my pocket more days than its not. Mine came very sharp and has been very easy to keep sharp on my Sharpmaker. Mine has 204P steel. I am used to Spydercos which are great slicers, but I've had no issue with the Microtech for my uses. I agree that closing an OTF is the real eye opener in terms of actual usefulness; they are cool but when you have to cut some tape you missed on a huge box you are holding up with another person and everyone is waiting while you work the knife, being able to close it and put it away that much faster is really nice.

Up1911Fan
10-15-2020, 08:17 PM
Finally ordered a Combat Troodon.

RAM Engineer
10-16-2020, 12:35 PM
I never should have clicked on this thread...

PNWTO
10-16-2020, 02:23 PM
I never should have clicked on this thread...

Same; ordered through the MicroTech LE/Mil/Responder program last night. Should be a nice complement to carry.

Up1911Fan
10-19-2020, 05:23 PM
Even bigger than I was expecting.

WOLFIE
10-26-2020, 09:40 PM
I own a Heretic Hydra. Black blade with a dark green handle. Excellent quality. Heretic is owned by the son of the Microtech owner. I own three Microtech knifes and the Hydra appears to be the same quality. The Hydra is not as long as the Halo. It does have a cool blade design that looks exceptional with a tanto shape. It also has a neat safety. You push the cover out of the way to reach the button.

I think (do not really know) that the DA OTF knifes are not as durable as the SA OTF knives. I think the plunger locking mechanism is more robust.

Totem Polar
10-26-2020, 10:01 PM
I own a Heretic Hydra. Black blade with a dark green handle. Excellent quality. Heretic is owned by the son of the Microtech owner. I own three Microtech knifes and the Hydra appears to be the same quality. The Hydra is not as long as the Halo. It does have a cool blade design that looks exceptional with a tanto shape. It also has a neat safety. You push the cover out of the way to reach the button.

I think (do not really know) that the DA OTF knifes are not as durable as the SA OTF knives. I think the plunger locking mechanism is more robust.

That spring loaded button cover is brilliant. I like the H pocket clip, too. Checks a lot of boxes, to my point of view. I had not seen these yet, thanks for posting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEYbAG7U9OA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn9nBR7ryq4

Wondering Beard
10-27-2020, 11:38 AM
Ok, now I'm impressed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE9TeOFYEjg&feature=emb_rel_end

WOLFIE
10-27-2020, 01:53 PM
[QUOTE=Totem Polar;1132513]That spring loaded button cover is brilliant. I like the H pocket clip, too. Checks a lot of boxes, to my point of view. I had not seen these yet, thanks for posting.

You are welcome. The videos do not do the design justice. The Hydra has more strength and hits harder when opening than the DA autos. Heretic does make DA autos and I may buy one soon. Their standard DA comes in three sizes

RevolverRob
10-27-2020, 04:42 PM
You are welcome. The videos do not do the design justice. The Hydra has more strength and hits harder when opening than the DA autos. Heretic does make DA autos and I may buy one soon. Their standard DA comes in three sizes

In a single-action design the spring only needs to function one direction and you have a nice big lever to retract it with once fired, which is why it snaps open with authority and 'recoil'.

But you do lose one major feature (for me) of the double-action design which is the one-handed closing.

Having run the UTX-85 everyday for just over a month now I've had zero inclination to change anything significant about the design. The size is right, the action is great, and I love the tanto blade. It definitely does not lock-up as tight as a frame-lock folder. But then again, I don't have to worry about the knife collapsing onto my fingers if the lock fails either.

The only thing I would really change is for Microtech to go to a full flat grind on their blades. Their little 'pseudo-hollow grind' does make getting a hair popping sharp edge difficult. I find the knife almost impossible to strop which I don't care for. It's a minor complaint overall and once I managed to get it nice and sharp, I've been able to keep the edge there with minimal maintenance.

WOLFIE
10-27-2020, 06:04 PM
In a single-action design the spring only needs to function one direction and you have a nice big lever to retract it with once fired, which is why it snaps open with authority and 'recoil'.

But you do lose one major feature (for me) of the double-action design which is the one-handed closing.

Having run the UTX-85 everyday for just over a month now I've had zero inclination to change anything significant about the design. The size is right, the action is great, and I love the tanto blade. It definitely does not lock-up as tight as a frame-lock folder. But then again, I don't have to worry about the knife collapsing onto my fingers if the lock fails either.

The only thing I would really change is for Microtech to go to a full flat grind on their blades. Their little 'pseudo-hollow grind' does make getting a hair popping sharp edge difficult. I find the knife almost impossible to strop which I don't care for. It's a minor complaint overall and once I managed to get it nice and sharp, I've been able to keep the edge there with minimal maintenance.

I like the tanto blade as well. I think a DA may be better for work. I could need to close and put away a knife in a hurry. I may not have the luxury of pulling back the lever and not making a mistake with a more complicated procedure. But there is the cool factor of the SA

Clusterfrack
11-04-2020, 11:09 AM
RoyGBiv, responding to your post in this thread. I've always been disappointed with auto folders. I really want to like them because a lot of them are just so cool. Maybe Autos used to offer an advantage before folders became easy to open using studs, holes, waves, and flippers? But now, it's just added complexity for no good reason. Even with gloves, I can operate a good flipper more easily than any auto folder I've tried. Flippers have matured to the extent that I don't even see the need for an assist. And the Emerson wave works even better.

But for me, OTF autos do have some novel and useful features that make their complexity and expense worthwhile:

single handed opening and closing
easy to use while wearing gloves
ambidextrous carry
unlikely to open in a pocket, compared to some folders (depending on model)
double-edge blades

Boker Plus Strike Drop Point Automatic. 3.25" blade.

My first auto. I fondled a friends OTF auto a while back and just didn't care for it.

The good:
I prefer the slightly smaller size vs the OKT Rat that has been my EDC for a while.
Very grippy.
Plenty sharp.
Great lock-up. Nearly zero play.
Can be locked in both closed or open positions.

The less than good:
The release button is very grindy. It can be depressed part way and the blade will move slightly. Definitely not a "crisp break".
The Rat is much faster to deploy via the assisted open with thumb stud. I don't know why I was expecting different, but, I was. Naivete, I suppose.

Overall happy with it but unlikely to buy another auto folder.

RevolverRob
11-05-2020, 01:10 PM
Ok OTFers - has anyone else found that their knives like to be run dry?

I dropped a couple of drops of silicone oil on my blade, figuring the action could use a bit of oil and closed it. The result was a blade that would not reliably open or close until I flung off most of the oil and wiped the blade down with alcohol to remove any residual oil, now it's back to normal.

This is literally the only device I've ever found that works better dry than wet (phrasing).

Clusterfrack
11-05-2020, 01:25 PM

I dropped a couple of drops of silicone oil on my blade, figuring the action could use a bit of oil and closed it. The result was a blade that would not reliably open or close until I flung off most of the oil and wiped the blade down with alcohol to remove any residual oil, now it's back to normal.

This is literally the only device I've ever found that works better dry than wet (phrasing).

I haven't tested this, but my guess is that viscous damping from liquid lubricants slows the action to the point of failure. There really isn't that much energy involved in launching or retracting the blade--approximately the amount you apply to the toggle.

Microtech recommends cleaning and lubricating by saturating the action with RemOil, a light PTFE-based CLP that dries out. The Hawk Deadlock comes with some lube for the cam system, but the slide channel is dry.

Clusterfrack
11-10-2020, 01:18 PM
Look what Gavin Hawk sent me... a nice thermos. Still loving the Deadlock

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201110/c0a1dd59fff583b73ff1716d3020648a.jpg

JodyH
11-15-2020, 01:50 PM
My Microtechs prefer going in dry.

My HALO VI is at its absolute best after a good rinsing out with Berryman B-12 Chemtool spray carb & choke cleaner followed up with a blast of compressed air.

Totem Polar
11-15-2020, 02:22 PM
Look what Gavin Hawk sent me... a nice thermos. Still loving the Deadlock

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201110/c0a1dd59fff583b73ff1716d3020648a.jpg

Say what you want about Oregon’s terminally fucked politics: there is no denying that they’ve nonetheless captured the high ground on knives, beer, and coffee. It’s not even close, if one is a connoisseur of all three at the same time.

Clusterfrack
11-15-2020, 09:04 PM
Say what you want about Oregon’s terminally fucked politics: there is no denying that they’ve nonetheless captured the high ground on knives, beer, and coffee. It’s not even close, if one is a connoisseur of all three at the same time.

Add great food, amazing access to the outdoors, lots of shooting events and venues. It would be hard to leave. But, we've thought about it. Idaho seems like a good option.

Totem Polar
11-15-2020, 10:22 PM
Add great food, amazing access to the outdoors, lots of shooting events and venues. It would be hard to leave. But, we've thought about it. Idaho seems like a good option.

Oh we have great food, amazing access to the outdoors, and piles of shooting too, believe it. If Oregon is the Royce Gracie of lifestyle, the inland empire is Ken Shamrock in UFC5. You’ve just got that whole fancy legal OTF thing going on, is all. :(

Come to think of it, so does Idaho...
:D

:D :D

:D :D :D

Totem Polar
11-15-2020, 11:02 PM
Imma not gonna let this Idaho move go.. you know that, right?
;)

MGW
11-16-2020, 07:19 AM
Imma not gonna let this Idaho move go.. you know that, right?
;)

I’ve never been to Idaho. I need to fix that.

RancidSumo
12-03-2020, 05:55 PM
Assuming DE is legal to carry, is there any reason not to go that route? It seems a bit impractical but I just have a feeling I'm going to regret it if I buy a single edge and I'll end up buying a DE too. I don't even need one of these, let alone two . . .

Clusterfrack
12-03-2020, 08:14 PM
Assuming DE is legal to carry, is there any reason not to go that route? It seems a bit impractical but I just have a feeling I'm going to regret it if I buy a single edge and I'll end up buying a DE too. I don't even need one of these, let alone two . . .

I've found the DE with full length plain and full serrated edges to be super useful. It does require some additional care when cutting things.

Also, the edge geometry is steeper with a DE blade, so there's that.

For defensive use, my support-side default is forward grip, edge up, but DE does that and a conventional grip all at once.

Bigghoss
12-05-2020, 11:01 PM
A few years ago I bought a Lightning OTF for $28 I think it was. Edge retention isn't great but for $28 it's fun to play with. I've flicked it in and out hundreds, if not thousands, of times pretty much using it like an adult fidget spinner. It's great if you've never had an OTF before and want something to test the waters.

Now that auto knives are legal in Colorado it's got me wanting a decent one. I just haven't found one that I like the looks of for a price I'm comfortable with. Might just say F-it and spring for a Microtech anyway.

Totem Polar
12-11-2020, 05:00 PM
Just got this in my email from bladeHQ. Since I cannot take advantage of it, I’ll leave it here. :cool:

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Microtech-Ultratech-DE-OTF-Auto--118748?utm_source=email-broadcast&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=12-11-20-bhq-dessert-warrior-launch-2&utm_content=EmailBanner-BHQ-MicrotechUltratech&__s=8nofgo703e4uoyvbkyef

vcdgrips
12-11-2020, 05:30 PM
They had it on their feature banner for 102.00

When you clicked it, it was up to 300 ish with a note there had been an error and instructions to call in if interested in the knife with language that implied there would be some type of discount.

“Fixed it” I guess.

As an aside: not impressed the one time we did business. I emailed from my DOJ address asking re a GOV discount, they said yes then refused to apply one despite fact I fronted exactly what I did etc.

I ultimately returned items for which they charged retail shipping and it was 8-10 days from receipt before they credited my card. As this happened during COVID, I get the slow refund processing. The rest left me feeling pretty meh.64500

Crusader8207
12-29-2020, 04:29 PM
Same; ordered through the MicroTech LE/Mil/Responder program last night. Should be a nice complement to carry.

I just ordered a LE version too, as well as an UTX-70.... cuz 2 is one right???

Clusterfrack
01-05-2021, 05:31 PM
My answer to “Can I use your knife?”

Leatherman Squirt, clipped to right pocket.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210105/a664c54549e86a7d6be76a9236ec0435.jpg

Crusader8207
01-20-2021, 03:45 PM
Mail call!!

LEO version and the UTX-70

Clusterfrack
02-27-2021, 05:45 PM
At a USPSA match today:
Dude: Can I borrow your knife?
Me: for what purpose?
Dude: to cut the fingers off my gloves.
Me: um, OK.
Dude: [cuts himself] That knife is really sharp.

Disinfecting knife now
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210227/4da92f10b77f3e9b954a21aaa1c71249.jpg

JAD
02-27-2021, 09:52 PM
?
Dude: [cuts himself]

He probably should have taken the gloves off first.

Wondering Beard
02-28-2021, 12:56 AM
At a USPSA match today:

Disinfecting knife now
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210227/4da92f10b77f3e9b954a21aaa1c71249.jpg

That reminds me. A family member was asking for a knife once to do a minor cutting chore and I offered him mine for the job but he refused saying "your knives are too sharp".

Totem Polar
02-28-2021, 01:18 AM
At a USPSA match today:

I am guessing that, like myself, you have slowly accrued a collection of knives that are flat-out unwise to hand to the non-cognoscenti.

Your OTFs—especially the DE versions—fit into that category, as do all reverse edge knives, knives like the civilian, all point-driven tools (why is it that *everyone*, when they first handle something without overtly sharpened edges, always say, “these edges are really dull, that point must be crazy sharp, huh?” Right before enthusiastically putting their thumb on it and making like a “Vlad the impaler” puppet show?) etc.

Clusterfrack
02-28-2021, 10:22 AM
I am guessing that, like myself, you have slowly accrued a collection of knives that are flat-out unwise to hand to the non-cognoscenti.

Your OTFs—especially the DE versions—fit into that category, as do all reverse edge knives, knives like the civilian, all point-driven tools (why is it that *everyone*, when they first handle something without overtly sharpened edges, always say, “these edges are really dull, that point must be crazy sharp, huh?” Right before enthusiastically putting their thumb on it and making like a “Vlad the impaler” puppet show?) etc.

Yes. Exactly. I usually have a small Leatherman for general use by others. Unfortunately for this guy’s finger, I forgot it yesterday.

Clusterfrack
03-06-2021, 11:04 AM
Pocket dump: backcountry rifle trip.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210306/97a4a27577d84eccb98cff81d153a27f.jpg

Breakfast:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210306/f6552ae54b5bf883c3eb0a1568dfb7ac.jpg

RancidSumo
03-19-2021, 10:28 PM
Finally caved and grabbed one. Think I’m going to need a 70 next (hopefully with a way to remove the glass breaker).

rob_s
03-20-2021, 05:44 AM
Finally caved and grabbed one. Think I’m going to need a 70 next (hopefully with a way to remove the glass breaker).

Trying to zoom in to read text on blade. That’s an 80 you have there?

I’d also be super interested to hear about removing the glass breaker on a 70...

ETA
Found this
https://www.reddit.com/r/knifeclub/comments/htplfu/can_i_remove_the_glassbreaker_on_a_utx70/

Sounds like it just unscrews but the internal part of the screw is vital to the operation and so an identical screw (thread pitch, and length evidently) needs to be installed. Which remind me, I need to order that thread-checker tool I’ve had in my Amazon cart for awhile...

RancidSumo
03-20-2021, 10:49 AM
Trying to zoom in to read text on blade. That’s an 80 you have there?

I’d also be super interested to hear about removing the glass breaker on a 70...

ETA
Found this
https://www.reddit.com/r/knifeclub/comments/htplfu/can_i_remove_the_glassbreaker_on_a_utx70/

Sounds like it just unscrews but the internal part of the screw is vital to the operation and so an identical screw (thread pitch, and length evidently) needs to be installed. Which remind me, I need to order that thread-checker tool I’ve had in my Amazon cart for awhile...

Yeah, this is the UTX-85. It is what I think of as the perfect size for any time you can get away with wearing jeans. If WFH ever ends, I think the 70 without a glass breaker, and maybe not D/E, would disappear pretty well and be a good all-around knife for most tasks. The quality and the action on this knife are much better than I was expecting.

Crusader8207
05-20-2021, 12:45 PM
Just picked up an UTX-85. I find this to be the perfect edc knife. Fits nicely in the hand and has a real smooth action. I have been using the Ultratech for a couple of months but since getting the UTX-85 is has been relegated to the safe. I had an UTX-70 but personally found it to be a little too small, however that strictly is my opinion.

23JAZ
06-16-2021, 02:11 PM
I just ordered this one. Should be here next week. It’s in M390 steel. I don’t know much about that steel but everything I’ve read says it’s a “super steel”. Anyone here have experience with M390?

Clusterfrack
06-16-2021, 02:34 PM
I just ordered this one. Should be here next week. It’s in M390 steel. I don’t know much about that steel but everything I’ve read says it’s a “super steel”. Anyone here have experience with M390?

My UTX-85 which happens to be in my pocket today is m390as well, and it’s still sharp as fuck with very minimal sharpening. Excellent steel for this purpose.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210616/b80448fcfcef00a73d608c77ed6e4ef4.jpg

Wyoming Shooter
06-17-2021, 12:12 PM
My UTX-85 which happens to be in my pocket today is m390as well, and it’s still sharp as fuck with very minimal sharpening. Excellent steel for this purpose.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210616/b80448fcfcef00a73d608c77ed6e4ef4.jpg

Order placed. Asking better late than never, what do you think of that bisexual blade?

Clusterfrack
06-17-2021, 12:24 PM
Order placed. Asking better late than never, what do you think of that bisexual blade?

It identifies as double-edged... I like it a lot. I like having the full serrated edge for stuff that needs serrations to cut, but not having to use it all the time.

Double edged... have to pay attention for sure. The steep bevel makes it not a very good slicer, of course.

rob_s
06-17-2021, 12:34 PM
Given that I've already established in my mind that the UTX-70 is ridiculous (too small, too dramatic, etc.) I've also decided that if (when?) I get one, it's gotta be the Tanto (https://www.bladehq.com/item--Microtech-UTX-70-Knife-Tactical--8174)!

23JAZ
06-21-2021, 06:04 PM
This was waiting for me when I got home. Action is easy to operate and smooth. The blade is razor sharp, and there is very little blade play. Also the Hollow Grind was great to deal with. The price was right and shipping was fast. I ordered last Thursday and it arrived today via UPS for free. They even included a little first aid kit for when you inevitably cut yourself.

23JAZ
06-22-2021, 09:21 PM
Not an OTF but had to share. I might have to get one. Does anyone have one of these?

https://fb.watch/6ikYPppglK/

rob_s
07-21-2021, 12:32 PM
Looks like Blade HQ is largely out of stock on the UTX-70. Anyone have a lead on an alternate source?

some specific models I might be interested in
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Microtech-Silver-UTX70-DA--6111

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Microtech-UTX-70-Knife-Tactical--8174

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Microtech-Silver-UTX-70-Tactical--8241

RancidSumo
07-21-2021, 01:36 PM
Looks like Blade HQ is largely out of stock on the UTX-70. Anyone have a lead on an alternate source?

I bought my UTX 85 from EKnives earlier this year - looks like they've got some 70s in stock right now.

willie
07-23-2021, 11:43 PM
You guys have some high grade and very nice OTF knives. I have this style too. Mine is a much cheaper version made by Cobra in Texas. It is very sturdy but not elegant. Blade is S2 steel and sharp. My knife lacks graceful lines. I bought it for my wife to use in the yard but like it so much that I kept it. These knives grow on you meaning if you get one you will like it.

JodyH
07-24-2021, 02:12 AM

https://www.pvk.vegas/

Totem Polar
07-24-2021, 09:18 AM
You know what would be over the top cool? An OTF Pikal reverse edge blade/handle set up. Just because.

RancidSumo
07-24-2021, 12:51 PM
UTX-85 has replaced all my other knives since buying it and I don't see that changing. I only carry something else when I can't get away with this knife for some reason (no-clip in a tux, something a bit nicer like a Mnandi in a suit). I think I need a UTX-70, but I really wish they put a more discreet clip on it. Does anyone make a good aftermarket option?

rob_s
07-24-2021, 02:21 PM
UTX-85 has replaced all my other knives since buying it and I don't see that changing. I only carry something else when I can't get away with this knife for some reason (no-clip in a tux, something a bit nicer like a Mnandi in a suit). I think I need a UTX-70, but I really wish they put a more discreet clip on it. Does anyone make a good aftermarket option?

In some pics they appear to have a more “deep carry” type clip, while in others they have the clip you appear to be referencing. I’ve been a little concerned that what I get will be the latter when I prefer the former.

And now going looking for pics of the deep carry version I can’t find any. I’m either mis remembering or there’s been a design change.

23JAZ
07-25-2021, 09:16 AM
I’ve seen some nice custom clips on Microtech’s FB but I cannot find one to buy.

Mitch
07-26-2021, 01:41 PM
95% of my knife use is for cutting up food or opening boxes. So, while I want a utx 85 from what I read here I think I’ll be annoyed at having to clean it all the time before closing it up. What am I missing here? Is it more than just the cool factor that makes people love these so much?

Clusterfrack
07-26-2021, 02:23 PM
95% of my knife use is for cutting up food or opening boxes. So, while I want a utx 85 from what I read here I think I’ll be annoyed at having to clean it all the time before closing it up. What am I missing here? Is it more than just the cool factor that makes people love these so much?

Advantages: Double-edged, versatile grip, rapid deployment, lightweight.

Disadvantages: complex mechanism, requires cleaning, sensitive to sand/dust, steep bevels, expensive.

Others want to add/comment?

Wondering Beard
07-26-2021, 04:34 PM

I have a double edge Troodon that I use for all the domestic chores that include cutting (I believe it would be illegal for carry so it stays in my home sweat pants). I have used it for those purposes for about a year now and only once had I to blow in it (to clear dust) because the blade didn't fully come out (haven't needed to resharpen it either).

Still, I could use any of my manual Spydercos for the same purposes. The cool factor matters is that, whenever I pull it out and open it for some purpose or other (last one was cutting open the bag of cat litter), it makes me smile.

Wondering Beard
07-26-2021, 04:35 PM
Advantages: Double-edged, versatile grip, rapid deployment, lightweight.

Disadvantages: complex mechanism, requires cleaning, sensitive to sand/dust, steep bevels, expensive.

Others want to add/comment?

If your thumb is injured or weak, it's near impossible to deploy with any type of speed.

I'm generally faster and smoother while manually opening a Spyderco with it's big hole.

Clusterfrack
07-26-2021, 04:43 PM
If your thumb is injured or weak, it's near impossible to deploy with any type of speed.

I'm generally faster and smoother while manually opening a Spyderco with it's big hole.

Great points. The Deadlock is the only OTF I’ve been able to actuate with little effort or with my index finger. And that’s definitely an enthusiasts knife.

Wyoming Shooter
07-28-2021, 12:44 PM
I'm enjoying my UTX85. One edge is serrated and the other is plain. Someday, when I've carved open enough envelopes or stabbed enough commies in the face, it will require sharpening. Any suggested tools and/or sharpening techniques? This is my only double-edge dagger style blade. I do have a Spyderco Sharpmaker, a Ken Onion Work Sharp, and a diamond "stone" or two. I'm just not sure how to best sharpen a dagger-style blade. Thanks!

CleverNickname
07-28-2021, 06:32 PM
95% of my OTF knife use is having it make a schnick-schnick noise when I open and close it.

BigD
07-28-2021, 10:41 PM
I'm enjoying my UTX85. One edge is serrated and the other is plain. Someday, when I've carved open enough envelopes or stabbed enough commies in the face, it will require sharpening. Any suggested tools and/or sharpening techniques? This is my only double-edge dagger style blade. I do have a Spyderco Sharpmaker, a Ken Onion Work Sharp, and a diamond "stone" or two. I'm just not sure how to best sharpen a dagger-style blade. Thanks!

1) Sharpen one side.

2) Sharpen other side. (The Sharpmaker will sharpen the serrations.)

RancidSumo
07-28-2021, 11:28 PM

I don’t cut food with mine, but I do use it for all other domestic chores. I’m several months in with nothing more than wiping the blade on my jeans to get some tape gunk off.

23JAZ
08-07-2021, 06:32 PM
Just found my UTX-85 a big brother. Couldn’t pass up a lightly used Ultratech UMS for 2 bills. She’ll be here Tuesday.

23JAZ
08-09-2021, 06:02 PM
I definitely prefer the Ultratech over the UTX-85. Might have to sell the UTX to fund a second UT.

BWT
08-09-2021, 10:22 PM
I like the SE version.

I’d recommend the spyderco sharpener.

I’d say realize it is a machine more so than other blades and use Rem Oil periodically per the instructions.

23JAZ
08-27-2021, 02:21 PM
Scored a Signature Series 85 with a G-10 top. Serial number is my birth date and it’s DOB month is my birth month so of course I had to get it.

23JAZ
09-25-2021, 09:56 AM
The UTX-85 is nice but the Ultratech fits better IMO.

Clusterfrack
09-25-2021, 10:32 AM
^Like

D-der
10-30-2021, 04:57 AM
A month ago I picked up an 85 from a forum member
and have carried it daily, as I generally do with a new knife.
The knife's function has been great, it misfired twice in the
first week, I flushed it out good with Rem Oil and blew it out
and it's been perfect since.
After deciding it was a keeper, I put it on my KME to get it hair
popping, I did keep the wide factory bevel, angle cube at 24
degrees per side. to me it's comfortable in my pocket (blue jeans)
sized right for my daily uses, opening parts boxes, occasional zip ties,
a deployed air bag / seat belt and of course mail, as noted prior...
it's not a great slicer, heavy dense cardboard or a hard apple is
like getting a splitting maul through green oak, but it will get it done.
The UTX-85 TE is my first OTF and my first tanto blade and it suits
my daily usage quite well, I'm gonna keep carrying it and maybe look
for an Ultratech 1/2 serrated tanto

spyderco monkey
12-07-2021, 01:39 AM
For storage for when I'm not carrying my Ultratech (which is much of the time) I use a vinyl cap + cord as a little DIY Ultratech Sheath. The vinyl cover seals nice and tight, and keeps any dust or debris from blowing into the mechanism.

https://i.ibb.co/R05808Y/Microtech-Ultratech-neck-sheath-lighter-leash-cap.jpg

The 'sheath' is actually the Vinyl cap from those 'Lighter Leash' keychains you see in gas stations and headshops, cost about $2. But it fits the Ultra like it was made for it, and I think its superior to kydex as it wont scratch the anodizing or make a plastiky noise when drawing the knife.

If you've got an Ultratech, and see one of these Lighter Leash keychains at the gas station, I recommend it.

https://i.ibb.co/6PRh58Z/premium-clip-lighter-leash-jug-2-1024x1024.webp

Clusterfrack
12-07-2021, 12:54 PM
The 'sheath' is actually the Vinyl cap from those 'Lighter Leash' keychains you see in gas stations and headshops, cost about $2.

I like this!

vcdgrips
12-07-2021, 01:01 PM
Outside my lane as I have never owned/carried an OTF knife.

Would the lighter leash cap mitigate the chance of the knife firing open in a pocket as well?

I suppose if you ran it tip down with the "cap", you would have to tie it off so you could pull the knife "clear" before opening it?

Clusterfrack
12-07-2021, 02:19 PM

Would the lighter leash cap mitigate the chance of the knife firing open in a pocket as well?

I suppose if you ran it tip down with the "cap", you would have to tie it off so you could pull the knife "clear" before opening it?

Most OTF knives are inertia driven and will not poke all the way through a sheet of paper, let alone a cap like that.

spyderco monkey
12-07-2021, 04:51 PM

I'd say it would further reduce the improbability of that ever happening.

The vinyl cap not only seals the blade channel with a barrier the blade would not be able to pierce via spring tension, but also holds the firing button to the rearward position and prevents it from being able to slide forward.

https://i.ibb.co/pJPHVVq/Microtech-Ultratech-Vinyl-Sheath-lighter-leash.jpg

RancidSumo
12-20-2021, 10:56 PM
Stumbled upon a UTX-70 today - didn’t realize just how small they are. Anyway, now it’s mine.

Clusterfrack
01-27-2022, 04:44 PM
Thanks to Crusader8207, my UTX-85 has a big brother. I returned the clip to the original side because I prefer it that way for left side carry. Gave both knives a spa treatment with RemOil, and applied DragonGrip decals to the new knife.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220127/5ef22ac32a5b8beab4c1fb0211bc24d5.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220127/beba7983338647386ff8c01633ebae6b.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220127/61f279ab649e6948039fc7b771fc6b3a.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220127/76c14b18325d14505c1970f710564727.jpg

D-der
01-28-2022, 08:26 AM
How do you like the Ultratech compared to the 85 ?
I've been kicking it back and forth between a Ultratech
and Guardian Tactical Recon 035
I picked up my UTX-85 T 3-4 months ago and have
carried it pretty much every day, I usually carry a new
knife daily for a month or so to get a feel for it but,
the 85 has stayed there.
Its not a great slicer but keep it sharp and it'll get
the job done.
Not really shifting your grip to close one handed
is a fairly big deal for me...
I haven't bled all over it yet.

BobLoblaw
01-28-2022, 08:40 AM
I'm way harder on the Microtech than most of my other knives mostly because I have to be with the near axe-blunt grind angle they chose (I reprofiled it about 5 degrees but it didn't really help). I'm assuming they ship with that trash grind angle because they're a bitch to sharpen without a clamp-style sharpening system. I still carry it way more than my others because the fun factor blows them away. Sometimes, I think I should've gone DE.

D-der
01-28-2022, 09:24 AM
I've brought mine down a couple of degrees
to 20 per side on my KME, and touch up on
my Sharp Maker, I'll go a little more next time
it goes on the KME.

Clusterfrack
01-28-2022, 12:07 PM
Good question. I'm not sure yet. They are more different than I expected. The activation switch on the UTX-85 is right under my finger when I draw the knife, while I have to reach for it on the full size Ultratech. That might just be familiarity. Edit: the new (to me) Ultratech is also quite a bit stiffer to activate than my '85. That might get better with some break-in.

JCL has a Guardian Recon, and I'm impressed with it. He is not easy on his gear. I recall that he had to send it back for repair after cutting branches off a sapling that was blocking a rifle shot.

I like the tanto blade, but the D/E serrated is really useful. You are right that neither is a general purpose knife for slicing fruit or whatever. I would pick a Spyderco for that any day.

My OTFs are a substitute for a support-side defensive "get off me, stay off me" blade. They can also cut stuff ok and open boxes.

How do you like the Ultratech compared to the 85 ?
I've been kicking it back and forth between a Ultratech
and Guardian Tactical Recon 035
I picked up my UTX-85 T 3-4 months ago and have
carried it pretty much every day, I usually carry a new
knife daily for a month or so to get a feel for it but,
the 85 has stayed there.
Its not a great slicer but keep it sharp and it'll get
the job done.

JCL
01-28-2022, 02:18 PM
Yes, I’m very impressed with my D/E serrated Recon. I like the ergos more than I do those of Clusterfrack’s knife due mainly to its fit in my larger hands. It’s designed for right hand carry but with some practice deploying it efficiently from the left (my support side) is easy. The sapling thing was a classic case of “just because you can doesn’t mean you should.” I’m guessing that a little more diligence in cleaning the blade before stowing it would have gone a long way. Sawing through thumb sized branches with the serrations was easy, but that’s work best left to a hatchet or machete. It would be perfectly adequate for EDC not involving forestry.

Clusterfrack
01-28-2022, 02:43 PM
...It would be perfectly adequate for EDC not involving forestry.

LOL! That seems like a solid endorsement.

D-der
01-29-2022, 06:19 AM
Good question. I'm not sure yet. They are more different than I expected. The activation switch on the UTX-85 is right under my finger when I draw the knife, while I have to reach for it on the full size Ultratech. That might just be familiarity. Edit: the new (to me) Ultratech is also quite a bit stiffer to activate than my '85. That might get better with some break-in.

JCL has a Guardian Recon, and I'm impressed with it. He is not easy on his gear. I recall that he had to send it back for repair after cutting branches off a sapling that was blocking a rifle shot.

I like the tanto blade, but the D/E serrated is really useful. You are right that neither is a general purpose knife for slicing fruit or whatever. I would pick a Spyderco for that any day.

My OTFs are a substitute for a support-side defensive "get off me, stay off me" blade. They can also cut stuff ok and open boxes.

I find the 85 to be pretty handy, more than I thought a tanto would be,
a little more blade would be useful but the UT seems to be mostly more handle.
My Spyderco's, ZT's, CRK have been left in the drawer lately.
Sounds like a Guardian Recon gets a closer look.

Clusterfrack
01-29-2022, 11:02 AM
I find the 85 to be pretty handy, more than I thought a tanto would be,
a little more blade would be useful but the UT seems to be mostly more handle.
My Spyderco's, ZT's, CRK have been left in the drawer lately.
Sounds like a Guardian Recon gets a closer look.

The longer handle on the Ultratech isn't necessarily a bad thing--especially for larger hands.

I've been breaking in the knife by repeatedly moving the switch just up to the breakpoint of the "sear". The action has smoothed out quite a bit. It's annoying that it doesn't come from the factory like that, but I guess that's what you pay the big bucks for in a Hawk Deadlock?

TOTS
01-29-2022, 03:45 PM
I’m almost to the point where I no longer have the willpower to stay in the military and keep coming back to Microtech bc I just love knives. I’m not really into OTFs but keep wanting to exercise the mil discount. Anyone want to talk me into/ out of one!!?? It really comes down to there’s probably a better way to spend $200 and that’s half a Sebenza which I don’t have either. But I can’t find them in stock anywhere!

Clusterfrack
01-30-2022, 02:10 PM
I’m almost to the point where I no longer have the willpower to stay in the military and keep coming back to Microtech bc I just love knives. I’m not really into OTFs but keep wanting to exercise the mil discount. Anyone want to talk me into/ out of one!!?? It really comes down to there’s probably a better way to spend $200 and that’s half a Sebenza which I don’t have either. But I can’t find them in stock anywhere!

OK, here goes: my love for knives has been an expensive habit, but not one that I regret. It's fairly easy to sell a knife that doesn't work out, and maybe lose $50-100 of value at most. An OTF wouldn't be my only knife, but I carry one of mine quite a bit. (I'm lucky to live in Oregon where knife laws are not very restrictive. I can carry a D/E OTF, but can't take it across the border to WA.) At a LE or mil discount, why not give one a try?

Clusterfrack
01-30-2022, 02:21 PM
I've been breaking in the knife by repeatedly moving the switch just up to the breakpoint of the "sear". The action has smoothed out quite a bit. It's annoying that it doesn't come from the factory like that, but I guess that's what you pay the big bucks for in a Hawk Deadlock?

Followup on cleaning, lubrication, and break-in of a Microtech OTF. No disassembly is required. Here's the procedure that has yielded good results:

Cleaning & Lubrication

Fire knife at a sheet of paper to put the blade in an unlocked state. You should be able to pull the blade in and out by hand. Leave the blade pushed almost all the way in, so there's a large gap at the front, but the lock and unlock gates are free. (See image below).
Spray liberally with Gunscrubber or non-chlorinated carb cleaner.
Blow out with canned or compressed air.
Spray liberally with well-shaken RemOil.
Blow out with canned or compressed air.

Break-in for New Knife

Clean and lube as above
Use Mechanix type gloves to save your fingers.
Push toggle just to the break point and let it return. You will feel resistance as the unlock gate slides. That's what you're working to reduce by polishing the "sear" surface.
Repeat ~100 times or until you are satisfied.

My Microtechs are still not as light and smooth as a Deadlock, but noticeably improved.

Here’s an internet pic I found that shows what’s inside. (I don’t recommend opening your Microtech up.)
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220130/527b309a44cd8de78c9f77f32829b91f.jpeg

D-der
01-30-2022, 06:12 PM
I soaked / flushed out my UTX when it first arrived and again a couple of weeks ago when it was getting a little sluggish, results were good, fires with authority.
The non chlorinated carb cleaner sounds like a good idea to clean, rather than just flush and lube.
So far I've been able to resist taking it apart...
Not sure how long that will last

Default.mp3
01-30-2022, 06:18 PM
I’m almost to the point where I no longer have the willpower to stay in the military and keep coming back to Microtech bc I just love knives. I’m not really into OTFs but keep wanting to exercise the mil discount. Anyone want to talk me into/ out of one!!?? It really comes down to there’s probably a better way to spend $200 and that’s half a Sebenza which I don’t have either. But I can’t find them in stock anywhere!I've always wanted an OTF, but the Microtech SPP OTF choices just don't appeal to me; the only tantos I like are the Chris Reeves and the Emersons, and those are purely based on aesthetics, I would much rather have a more useful blade choice for either of those. As for the Microtechs, I really wish they would allow for a DE instead of a tanto, I would have jumped on an SPP long ago if that was the case.

Bigghoss
02-01-2022, 05:00 PM
This just came in the mail. I should have gotten one of these sooner.

D-der
02-04-2022, 07:25 PM
This just came in the mail. I should have gotten one of these sooner.

Nice, I'm curious as to your thoughts on the knife
for general usage / edc tasks

vcdgrips
02-04-2022, 07:41 PM
Way outside of my lane re OTF knives. Always thought they were cool. Often scared they would fire inadvertently in the pocket. I acknowledge the same concerns for "unlocked" automatics.

I fully acknowledge I do not know what I do not know.

What is the price of admission for an OTF knife to have the same or less amount of "blade shake" than a go to folder in the 100 range i.e. Spyderco Endura/Rockjumper etc.

Thank you in advance for your wisdom and indulgence.

Clusterfrack
02-05-2022, 12:09 PM
Way outside of my lane re OTF knives. Always thought they were cool. Often scared they would fire inadvertently in the pocket. I acknowledge the same concerns for "unlocked" automatics.

I fully acknowledge I do not know what I do not know.

What is the price of admission for an OTF knife to have the same or less amount of "blade shake" than a go to folder in the 100 range i.e. Spyderco Endura/Rockjumper etc.

Thank you in advance for your wisdom and indulgence.

Your questions are good ones.

AD/ND: quality double-action OTFs are not likely to release in a pocket. I usually do not put anything loose in the pocket I'm carrying the knife in, but the amount of force and travel required to toggle them is significant. All the females in my family are unable to fire my Microtechs using only one thumb. Double action OTFs will not penetrate very deeply if fired at a solid object. You can fire them at a piece of paper, and the blade will stop after ~1/2". (Don't try this against skin). However, single action autos are strong!

Blade lockup: the only OTF that is locked up completely solid like a quality conventional folder is the G&G Hawk Deadlock (https://knifenews.com/hawk-knives-preps-deadlock-model-c-for-a-blade-show-debut/) (~$1100-$1700). I have a Deadlock Model B (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?42266-Out-The-Front-(OTF)-knives&p=1120721&viewfull=1#post1120721), and it's truly a work of art. The top tier production OTFs (Microtech, Guardian, etc. ) lock up tightly enough to not affect function in any measurable way. Below is a torture test video that illustrates how solid these knives are built.

https://youtu.be/wFwVvoA6Xxs?t=129

Bigghoss
02-05-2022, 05:37 PM
Nice, I'm curious as to your thoughts on the knife
for general usage / edc tasks

Right off the bat, it's really difficult to get out of my pocket without a lanyard. And the lanyard loop isn't big enough for paracord. Luckily I have some microcord that I can attach a paracord lanyard with. I haven't gotten around to that yet so I haven't been carrying it. It's pretty light so that's nice.

Clusterfrack
02-05-2022, 06:28 PM
Right off the bat, it's really difficult to get out of my pocket without a lanyard. And the lanyard loop isn't big enough for paracord. Luckily I have some microcord that I can attach a paracord lanyard with. I haven't gotten around to that yet so I haven't been carrying it. It's pretty light so that's nice.

Is that because it's slippery? I added DragonGrips decals to mine.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DD5XRXF

Bigghoss
02-05-2022, 07:21 PM
Is that because it's slippery? I added DragonGrips decals to mine.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DD5XRXF

It just sits really low in the pocket and there's hardly anything to grab. I suppose something like that might help but the knife looks so damn good that I'd rather leave it alone.

Edit: Gutted paracord can be worked through the lanyard hole so I gave it a small lanyard. I also realized the pocket clip was really tight (which is good for a knife this expensive) so I gave it just a little bend so it wasn't so tight on the pants I tend to wear most of the time. I still not used to getting it out quick but I do like it a lot more than my swing-out auto.

Clusterfrack
02-05-2022, 07:29 PM
It just sits really low in the pocket and there's hardly anything to grab. I suppose something like that might help but the knife looks so damn good that I'd rather leave it alone.

I just discovered that the decals come in clear.

Clusterfrack
02-09-2022, 02:06 PM
NOTE: opening your knife will void the warranty. Do not proceed unless you are comfortable handing small fiddly parts that cannot be replaced if lost.

My new-to-me Ultratech had a heavy and somewhat rough action (especially on opening), so I decided to try improving the action. I used a triangle bit from Amazon (https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B097J3ZJP5), sold by BladeHQ, and this disassembly video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKwAQE8GAX0

It's important to keep the tool perfectly vertical so you don't bugger the aluminum surrounding the screws.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220209/62e2ee95dd78c7e8b2d3f533680f08f0.jpg

Note how the angled "disconnector" at the rear of the slider interfaces with the rear sear. This is what affects the smoothness of the opening action.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220209/bd188559d1ab2038cf4375419904dd03.jpg

Here is the rear "disco" circled in red:

The rear disco was very roughly machined.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220209/c0a59963c5351769310280c75f3e56f8.jpg

I polished it with a rotary tool, so machining marks are just barely visible.

Reassembly was easy because I did not remove the sears. The action was noticeably improved! Note: do not overtighten the screws. There was some residual Loctite on the threads, so I just left it and reinstalled.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220209/ccca7d088910f06a4f8df7f489d8ddcc.jpg

rob_s
02-10-2022, 05:50 AM
If, like me, you have a hard time understanding the Microtech sizes, this might help.

RancidSumo
02-10-2022, 10:31 AM
If, like me, you have a hard time understanding the Microtech sizes, this might help.

In case it’s helpful - UTX-70, UTX-85, and G19 for scale. I don’t have any of the bigger knives to compare.

Clusterfrack
02-11-2022, 02:52 PM
I just discovered that the decals (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DD5XRXF/) come in clear.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220211/216dc747fc4ac96f8da7ebcfb023dbaf.jpg

757_Magnum
05-22-2022, 02:27 PM
I was at my local range yesterday to pick up my latest pistol acquisition, and while waiting for the seller I asked a salesman if I could play with one of the UTF-85s. Big mistake. I immediately saw the attraction that you guys have been talking about. I reluctantly handed it back and said I don't need it since I can't carry it in our state (VA). The salesman smiles and tells me that autos will become legal to carry in July. Great.

So now I'm trying do decide which one to get, and I see there's a Signature Series II. Do any of you guys have experience with these? Is there an appreciable difference in fit/finish, and do the milled areas provide better grip? Also, thoughts on tanto vs drop point? Defense is low on the list, and since you guys have reported it's not the best slicer, which shape do you prefer for general utility and re-sharpening in the context of what you use this knife for? I know tantos are typically considered behind a drop point when it comes to full sized do-all fixed blades.

Clusterfrack
05-22-2022, 05:52 PM
757_Magnum, I haven't had hands on the Microtech Signature Series II, but they look nice. I like the more aggressive texture on the grip. But on the other hand, the smooth grip panels take Dragongrip decals really well. I'm skeptical that components and build quality are significantly different. MT has their premium Marfione line, which have more hand-tooling and are much more expensive. At that price point, I would (and did) buy a Hawk Deadlock.

I understand the utility of a drop point for slicing, but I just don't like that blade shape. For example, I don't like how drop points cut rope. I prefer a Wharncliffe or Tanto, and other knife people give me crap about that. The UT tanto is among my favorite blade profiles. I have it in my pocket now.

D-der
05-23-2022, 10:43 AM
I've got a UTX-85 T in my pocket and it's become
a regular edc, probably 5 days a week.
If I know I'll have to cut through 30' of cardboard,
I'll carry a different knife that day, but if the 85 is
sharp, it'll get you through it, you'll just work a bit more.
I like the tanto, you have 2 edges...but you have 2 edges
to sharpen.
When I run into an Ultratech at a good deal, I'll buy it.

Clusterfrack
06-01-2022, 01:24 PM
Ultratech needed sharpening

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220601/c900e7b57efc141cece45dc9673ab49f.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220601/38a449a1efae7d37f5752430ffee1bf9.jpg

D-der
06-01-2022, 02:01 PM
Ultratech needed sharpening

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220601/c900e7b57efc141cece45dc9673ab49f.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220601/38a449a1efae7d37f5752430ffee1bf9.jpg

Nice...
2 Edges
Did you reprofile or, did it come out of the box at 20 per side ?

Clusterfrack
06-01-2022, 02:09 PM
Nice...
2 Edges
Did you reprofile or, did it come out of the box at 20 per side ?

It felt like it was a little steeper, but not as wedge-like as the double-edge Microtechs. It took a long time to sharpen, in part due to the angle but also due to the M390 being difficult.

Clusterfrack
06-16-2022, 05:55 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220616/5374345d43bb4da54b730de6c250dce5.jpg

StraitR
06-16-2022, 06:14 PM
I’m a big Microtech OTF (and Star Wars) fan.

I sold this Combat Troodon and gifted the UT Bounty Hunter and UTX-85 away to friends, but I thought it would be a helpful pic for size comparison.

Here the the two I currently have. A 24k gold plated Combat Troodon BH and standard Ultratech BH. I tend to carry the CT strong side when I only take one knife, and the Ultratech support side when I carry a traditional folder (usually Strider SnG), but I always have one or the other.

maximus83
07-10-2022, 05:20 PM
Guardian Tactical. A similar option to Microtech UT/CT: build quality, price point, and materials. The items that cause me to prefer and carry the GT:

* Buttery smooth OTF action
* Ergos on the handle
* Sharpness and angle of factory edge

rob_s
07-31-2022, 06:42 PM
Anyone familiar with this vendor? They seem to have a lot of Microtechs in stock when nobody else does, and at good prices.

This is pretty much exact.y what I want. I’d prefer half serrated but I can live without it.
https://www.dlttrading.com/microtech-149-1t-utx-70-t-e-black-handle-black-blade-828

Up1911Fan
07-31-2022, 07:17 PM
Anyone familiar with this vendor? They seem to have a lot of Microtechs in stock when nobody else does, and at good prices.

This is pretty much exact.y what I want. I’d prefer half serrated but I can live without it.
https://www.dlttrading.com/microtech-149-1t-utx-70-t-e-black-handle-black-blade-828
Great company. I've bought Hinderer, Microtech and CRK from them. Their showroom is in WI, I've stopped in a couple times while passing through. Last time I was there my 4 year old son ended up having a snack at the managers desk while talking about her dog that was there that day. Seemed like good people.

rob_s
07-31-2022, 07:28 PM
Great company. I've bought Hinderer, Microtech and CRK from them. Their showroom is in WI, I've stopped in a couple times while passing through. Last time I was there my 4 year old son ended up having a snack at the managers desk while talking about her dog that was there that day. Seemed like good people.

Thanks!

Went ahead and bit down on it based on that.

Now I just need to learn how to replace the pointy nubbie with a more low-profile one.

Clusterfrack
07-31-2022, 07:29 PM

Sweet. I have that knife (different colors) in my pocket right now.

Up1911Fan
07-31-2022, 07:36 PM
Sweet. I have that knife (different colors) in my pocket right now.How do you like it? I've considered a 70 for awhile now, but usually just carry my small Sebenza.

Clusterfrack
07-31-2022, 08:07 PM
How do you like it? I've considered a 70 for awhile now, but usually just carry my small Sebenza.

Whoops. Didn’t look carefully enough. I have the full size Ultratech T/e.

RevolverRob
08-01-2022, 11:52 AM
Guys, recommendations for an OTF that is easier to move the slider on than a UTX-85?

My mother loves my UTX-85, but doesn't quite have the hand strength to run the switch reliably. Is the 75 any easier? Perhaps a side mounted, instead of spine mounted OTF?

Clusterfrack
08-01-2022, 11:59 AM
Guys, recommendations for an OTF that is easier to move the slider on than a UTX-85?

My mother loves my UTX-85, but doesn't quite have the hand strength to run the switch reliably. Is the 75 any easier? Perhaps a side mounted, instead of spine mounted OTF?

Yeah, all the females in my family have to use two thumbs to operate my Microtechs. I'm not sure what to recommend, other than the very expensive but totally awesome G&G Hawk Deadlock. Maybe one of the newer Benchmades or a Guardian?

RevolverRob
08-01-2022, 12:08 PM
Yeah, all the females in my family have to use two thumbs to operate my Microtechs. I'm not sure what to recommend, other than the very expensive but totally awesome G&G Hawk Deadlock. Maybe one of the newer Benchmades or a Guardian?

I was looking at the Hogues too. They have a slider with a taller lever that is probably easier to push. But maybe I should think about gravity knives instead. Mom is in Texas where they are legal and a gravity knife would be easier to operate and still have one handed closing (the big thing mom likes about my OTFs).

ETA: Duh - why not just remove the spring from an OTF?

BWT
08-01-2022, 03:06 PM
How do you like it? I've considered a 70 for awhile now, but usually just carry my small Sebenza.

I have an UTX-85 and like it.

Caveat - OTF’s are fun and have a cool factor. Mine works well for me. That out of the way - they are probably not hard use from what I’ve seen. If you’re cutting things that’ll get debris in them or dirt/grime. It’s just not great and what I mean by that is you get lethargic blade deployment or sometimes sticking/not opening. Which means spraying it down with Rem Oil and cleaning up. That oil also makes it a bit tricky to use it for food prep.

My office dweller life means it’ll probably to continue to work great. But, for the cost of admission (double what my ZT 0350 was) - it was a bit underwhelming over the long haul.

I like the super steel, the blade retention, and I like the knife overall. I will never sell it. However, I was looking for a Troodon and I think I’m good at this point.

I like the idea of another folder like that, but I’m thinking about a small fixed.

I only throw this out as a cautionary tale, I’d say just expect to oil it depending on use and once every 75-90 days for optimal function.

Up1911Fan
08-01-2022, 03:21 PM
I have an UTX-85 and like it.

Caveat - OTF’s are fun and have a cool factor. Mine works well for me. That out of the way - they are probably not hard use from what I’ve seen. If you’re cutting things that’ll get debris in them or dirt/grime. It’s just not great and what I mean by that is you get lethargic blade deployment or sometimes sticking/not opening. Which means spraying it down with Rem Oil and cleaning up. That oil also makes it a bit tricky to use it for food prep.

My office dweller life means it’ll probably to continue to work great. But, for the cost of admission (double what my ZT 0350 was) - it was a bit underwhelming over the long haul.

I like the super steel, the blade retention, and I like the knife overall. I will never sell it. However, I was looking for a Troodon and I think I’m good at this point.

I like the idea of another folder like that, but I’m thinking about a small fixed.

I only throw this out as a cautionary tale, I’d say just expect to oil it depending on use and once every 75-90 days for optimal function.

I've owned 5 Microtech OTF's looking for info on the 70 specifically. Thanks though.

BWT
08-01-2022, 03:24 PM
I've owned 5 Microtech OTF's looking for info on the 70 specifically. Thanks though.

That makes sense - I just know there were new adopters, etc.

They’re good products, but I figured just throw out something based on what I’m seeing.

willie
08-01-2022, 11:32 PM
I was looking at the Hogues too. They have a slider with a taller lever that is probably easier to push. But maybe I should think about gravity knives instead. Mom is in Texas where they are legal and a gravity knife would be easier to operate and still have one handed closing (the big thing mom likes about my OTFs).

ETA: Duh - why not just remove the spring from an OTF?

Ask the maker to install a lighter spring for Mom. Speed would be less, but that should not matter. My guess is that they would be happy to help out.

BobLoblaw
08-02-2022, 07:30 AM
My mom likes those Milwaukee Fast Back box cutters. Like a gravity knife with a shitty quick change blade but I put some serrated ones in there so she doesn't have to mess with blade changes.

rob_s
08-02-2022, 07:48 AM
I put some serrated ones in there so she doesn't have to mess with blade changes.

Never even occurred to me that such a thing existed. Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/Rapid-Edge-All-Purpose-Serrated-Utility/dp/B07117FHLQ

maximus83
08-02-2022, 10:12 AM

Guardian Tactical (https://www.guardiantacticalusa.com/)--mentioned in my last post. Super smooth action. Northwest Knives in Idaho is a dealer that carries them.

Totem Polar
08-02-2022, 10:24 AM

When I was in OR a couple of months ago, it just so happened that I was within a few miles of the Benchmade factory, so I poked my head in. They have a showroom with exemplars of their entire production, and this was the smoothest OTF:

https://www.benchmade.com/5370fe-shootout-otf.html

Tall lever, grippy handle, great ergos, easy action. FWIW.

Clusterfrack
08-02-2022, 10:25 AM
I found a manual out-the-front retractable knife:

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/BO01BO411/boker-plus-slike-retractable-utility-dagger-knife-d2-satin-spear-point-blade-black-g10-handles
https://pics.knifecenter.com/eyJidWNrZXQiOiAiZmlsZXMua25pZmVjZW50ZXIuY29tIiwia2 V5IjogImtuaWZlY2VudGVyL2Jva2VyL2ltYWdlcy9CTzAxQk80 MTFfMS5qcGciLCJlZGl0cyI6IHsicmVzaXplIjogeyJ3aWR0aC I6IDI3MCwiaGVpZ2h0IjogMjcwLCJmaXQiOiAiY29udGFpbiIs ImJhY2tncm91bmQiOiB7InIiOiAyNTUsImciOiAyNTUsImIiOi AyNTUsImFscGhhIjogMX19fX0=

And this fancy boxcutter:
https://www.knifecenter.com/item/CIVC2007D/civivi-knives-c2007d-mandate-retractable-blade-utility-knife-9cr18mov-replaceable-razor-blade-black-titanium-handle

rob_s
08-05-2022, 05:10 PM
Couldn’t be happier!

I guess microtech only has one box size, haha. Thing is so tiny it fits in the box, open, with room to spare!

Couple of size comparisons. It really is hard to convey how tiny this thing is.

Apparently this is the week I buy tiny knives.

LittleLebowski
08-07-2022, 09:18 AM
Never even occurred to me that such a thing existed. Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/Rapid-Edge-All-Purpose-Serrated-Utility/dp/B07117FHLQ

Me neither, I’ll be damned. Ordered.

rob_s
08-09-2022, 03:49 AM
I can see how these things are addicting. Now I want an 85 :eek:

I got to carry my new Microtech as-intended yesterday for the first time (dress pants, at work) and it’s pretty much ideal. I don’t think I’ll need to bother changing out the glass-breaker for the lower profile screw like I thought I would. But I have the screw(s) in case I do (which I’m sure I will promptly lose by the time I want to make the change).

Only thing that would make it better would be more of a deep-carry clip, and preferably without the white logo on it. Either plain black or matte silver, ideally.

Sorry for pic of old man flat ass.

vcdgrips
08-09-2022, 08:33 AM
Something from Etsy perhaps re a deeper carry:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/547976855/celtic-cross-design-titanium-pocket?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=utx+85+clip&ref=sr_gallery-1-5&organic_search_click=1&variation1=679066377

A bit of sharpie on the logo (or even a piece of tape, textured or otherwise) until a new clip can be had?

rob_s
08-10-2022, 06:09 AM
Anyone ever notice the UTX-85 isn’t a standard size? An inch in overall length difference? And over a 1/2” difference in closed length? Maybe the larger one isn’t *really* a UTX-85?

Microtech UTX-85 Drop Point S/E OTF Automatic Knife (3.1" Stonewash) 231-10 (https://www.bladehq.com/item--Microtech-UTX85-DA-OTF--6857)

Microtech S/E OTF Tanto Automatic Knife Distressed Black (3.4" Apocalyptic) (https://www.bladehq.com/item--Microtech-SE-OTF-Tanto-Automatic--134036)