PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Pistol Platforms You Carry - 2.0

41magfan
05-02-2020, 03:17 PM
@RevolverRob , something to consider that I never see in these polls, that perhaps you've thought of, but wanted to mention: none.

Understanding the name of the forum and all, but I'm curious how many members if they were honest and anonymous might say that much of the time, they don't carry a handgun the majority of the time. For instance, given your primary/backup example, if someone doesn't carry 5 days a week due to workplace NPE, but jocks up on the weekend for going downtown, etc. Does that count as none? Maybe for threat assessment reasons, maybe for legality, maybe some folks for professional reasons are only carrying a long gun.

Just a thought.

Let's address some of the question(s) posed by this post in the Defensive Pistol Platforms You Carry polling thread. As a matter of context let's define "carry" as; what do you actually carry concealed at least 10 hrs a day - 7 days a week.

Affirmative responses only should keep the thread pretty lean and uncluttered I would think.

blues
05-02-2020, 03:26 PM
Well, at least my answer wouldn't change.

ST911
05-02-2020, 04:19 PM
Let's address some of the question(s) posed by this post in the Defensive Pistol Platforms You Carry polling thread. As a matter of context let's define "carry" as; what do you actually carry concealed at least 10 hrs a day - 7 days a week.

My answer remains the same.

Even here at PF, I bet the number of people that can meet your criteria is pretty low. 10 hours a day, 7 days a week is a lot of life filled with regular (unarmed) jobs, restricted locations, and human nature people will make carry decisions for.

Wondering Beard
05-02-2020, 04:41 PM

Affirmative responses only should keep the thread pretty lean and uncluttered I would think.

If I'm dressed, I'm carrying so no change for me.

RevolverRob
05-02-2020, 05:15 PM
10hrs a day 7 days a week moves me into the “none” category.

Due to hard NPEs, my carry is restricted to nights, weekends, and days I work from home (when we’re in a ‘normal’ time). That gives me four full days a week and typically four-five hours a day when I work at the office.

Regardless the basic answer of “primarily a J-frame” doesn’t change for me.

Obviously with ‘Rona and working from home full time, I’m basically 95% J-Frame and if I feel like it, I’ll holster up a 1911 or 2011.

GJM
05-02-2020, 05:19 PM
Would a poll choice be “always packing when posting on PF?”

Rex G
05-02-2020, 05:22 PM
Well, if the standard is carried concealed, ten hours a day, seven days a week, no handguns meet that standard. The closest would be the shotgun that is within reach, as I am sleeping and/or internettin’, so is often with me ten-plus hours a day. (If I am sleeping, or may doze off, I would rather that a handgun, especially with a short-stroke trigger, NOT be TOO close.)

I may carry ten-plus hours a day, some days, but not necessarily concealed, because I am not usually out and about for that long, each day, unless we are on a road trip.

Background: I am retired. I was a big-city LEO.

“The shotgun” is actually four of them. Benelli M2 x 2, and 870 x 2.

RevolverRob
05-02-2020, 05:27 PM
Would a poll choice be “always packing when posting on PF?”

I’d still answer negatory on that one. Hell right now, I’m wearing a gun, but it’s unloaded. Got the STI in my new extremely tight SME, getting started on breaking the holster in. Doing draws on dryfire targets = unloaded gun.

So I guess I have a gun, but it wouldn’t be real useful in a gunfight right now.

1Rangemaster
05-02-2020, 05:39 PM
I carry a G19 8-10 hours a day, 5 times a week(at least).
Sometimes I carry a Gen5 G26 “off duty”.
In my domicile at this very instant I have a G43 in a Wilderness ankle holster whilst glaring occasionally at the TV and looking at the internet.
I might get kilt, but respectfully I think it’s a matter of context.
Attributed to Mark Moritz: “First rule of a gunfight: have a gun”.
To paraphrase Jeff Cooper: “If you have been to a class, and do not have a gun in reach as you are reading this, then you did not get the full message.”
OTOH: “Be wary of the man with one gun(and carries in the same place)-he probably knows how to use it!”
Finally: respectfully suggest it’s mindset in the end. If I didn’t/couldn’t have a firearm, or it quit working, hit the bad thing with something!

ranger
05-02-2020, 06:45 PM
I can say yes while I am working remotely due to CV19. I work for a very NPE during traditional working hours so no I do not carry during traditional 8 to 5.

Mike C
05-02-2020, 07:54 PM

This, G43X/48 95% of the time 7 days a week. Only changes if I'm exercising or in nice attire then it's a G42 or LCP. If I'm clothed I'm packing, if I'm in the b-day suit gun is next to me or within arms reach. Call me paranoid, the wife does.

flyrodr
05-02-2020, 08:09 PM
Well, I'm retired, so I pretty much carry all the time. And 99% of the time, it's a P365 with RMS in a Mika pocket holster (occasionally a small 1911 IWB, most particularly a 9mm one that Ned Christiansen made 100%, but with my eyes . . . tough). Pocket holster, because we have grandkids around a lot, and they're all over us, so any IWB/AIWB would be "discovered" quickly, followed by "What's that, Granddaddy?" Weather permitting, I'm wearing shorts with pockets that allow a pretty quick draw, at least when I start with hand in pocket.

Prior to retirement, I worked in an NPE, with some serious consequences if discovered with a firearm. So I didn't carry, except off the job.

deputyG23
05-02-2020, 08:35 PM
If I have pants on, I am carrying at least a J frame and one reload.
Right now I have that plus my issued G23 on board with one extra mag.
Bed at night, pants next to bed with gear attached.
Only time I have no firearm or ammo is when traveling to catch a cruise ship.
Don’t want any of that in an unattended vehicle and when going to NYC to embark, I shake the van down from top to bottom to ensure no loose rounds or empty cases are about JIC...

Nephrology
05-02-2020, 08:38 PM
Pre-COVID, I carried to work every day and every time I left the house on weekends, but I doubt I spent 10 hours out and about all 7 days a week, so I certainly wouldn't qualify under those terms either.

Yung
05-02-2020, 09:07 PM
Yes, every day.

"...where's your weapon?" is a question that always struck me with fear even though it was never directed at me. I think just about anyone who was a servicemember can relate.

Patrick Taylor
05-03-2020, 12:33 AM
Do not carry a firearm inside the building I work in, it comes off right before I get out of my vehicle and goes back on when I get in my vehicle. I do keep my blades on at work as having one is often needed for work and people are not terminated for carrying a blade. When I sleep my pistol(s) are next to my bed.

There are 2 styles of pistol I carry as a primary and I have several of each.
5 inch 1911s
5 inch M&P w/TS

Hideout is a S&W Shield on the left ankle. IFAK on the right ankle.

Totem Polar
05-03-2020, 02:16 AM
10hrs a day 7 days a week moves me into the “none” category.

Due to hard NPEs, my carry is restricted to nights, weekends, and days I work from home (when we’re in a ‘normal’ time). That gives me four full days a week and typically four-five hours a day when I work at the office.

Regardless the basic answer of “primarily a J-frame” doesn’t change for me.

Obviously with ‘Rona and working from home full time, I’m basically 95% J-Frame and if I feel like it, I’ll holster up a 1911 or 2011.

I can pretty much cut and paste this. ^^^

Bucky
05-03-2020, 04:43 AM
If my work NPE was all I had to consider, I’m not sure what my reaction would be. However, it’s illegal to carry where I work, so that’s a NO go for me.

A dedicated CCW’r isn’t necessarily someone who carries 10 hours a day, IMO. He / She / It (PC) carries always when legal. MHO.

Le Français
05-03-2020, 05:56 AM
Still a G26. Today’s primary carry gun was a select-fire Colt SBR, but the G26 was there as well.

NH Shooter
05-03-2020, 06:30 AM
As long as I remain in NH, I am carrying the PPS in a JMCK #3 IWB: in the house, out of house, to the store, to go out dining (remember those days?), etc.

Occasionally I must travel to MA to the corporate office, so I obviously do not carry at that time.

As long as the circumstances are legal for me to do so, I'm packing.

JAD
05-03-2020, 06:54 AM
I carry 7/16ish when in KC. I am fortunate to have a job where I don’t think the consequence of being made would be termination, unless I was made through gross stupidity.

I am looking forward very much getting back into the field, and I almost never carry when traveling. Too much hassle, I’m never in one place for long enough, and better than half of the places I go suck. I’m going to do an overnight in Indy in the next couple weeks - guarantee that though it will certainly be possible and advisable for me to take the extra half hour front and back to check a gun, I will not do it.

baddean
05-03-2020, 05:02 PM

This^^^^
Retired.
In the house, outside the house.
I find it easier to have with me than have guns posted around the house.

BehindBlueI's
05-03-2020, 05:12 PM
My employer gets shitty if I show up to work without a gun. They actually get shitty if I'm their car, on or off duty, without a gun. No NPE daily worries there.

I would probably have to change my answer to "multiple", though.

At home: Ruger LCR
Not at home: Glock 17M

A Shield as a BUG while Not at home or as a primary specifically while jogging with a fanny pack rounds out the entirety of my "carry rotation" for anything that doesn't require an airplane trip.

LockedBreech
05-03-2020, 05:50 PM
10 hours a day, 7 days a week = None, guns not permitted in courtroom or main courthouse grounds

Within short accessibility range almost 24/7 between my work office and home office: Gen 5 Glock 19 and S&W M&P9 2.0 Compact (they serve the same role for me, shoot very similarly for me, and are almost identical in size and function.) The M2.0 and 2 mags at home office, Gen 5 19 and 2 mags at work office.

Bedroom: Gen 4 Glock 17

Travel, shopping, and general social events: S&W M&P9 Shield 2.0 with extra mag

NPE and hot weather: Ruger LCP with extra mag

None quite hit the 10 hours / 7 days standard though.

Stephanie B
05-03-2020, 08:37 PM
Nope. I don’t feel the need to carry a gun in the house.

revchuck38
05-03-2020, 08:52 PM
My 10-20 hr/wk retirement job in a bike shop turned into 45 hr/wk and could be more if I wanted to. I formerly didn't carry at work but with the pandemic-related silliness, I do now (with the owner's blessing). Now I've got the PX4 on from about 0800 till 2100 when I undress for bed. When the craziness dies down and I'm back to part-time, I might stop carrying at work. Or not.

When not at work, I'm armed whenever I legally can be.

AMC
05-03-2020, 10:25 PM
Hasn't changed. Sig 226R .40 S&W. Hot weather...same thing in a Blade-Tech IWB holster. 2 spare mags generally in BMC's. Only time this changes is traveling. Then its generally a Sig 239 in .40, with two mags. This will all likely change by next year to a 320 Pro Carry or Pro Compact, with maybe a 365XL in the mix.

WobblyPossum
05-03-2020, 10:48 PM
Hasn't changed. Sig 226R .40 S&W. Hot weather...same thing in a Blade-Tech IWB holster. 2 spare mags generally in BMC's. Only time this changes is traveling. Then its generally a Sig 239 in .40, with two mags. This will all likely change by next year to a 320 Pro Carry or Pro Compact, with maybe a 365XL in the mix.

While working, I’m carrying a G19. The moment I get home and can change into shorts and a t-shirt, I take the G19 off and put a G26 in an AHolster pocket holster in my shorts pocket. During weekends, the lazy side of me wins out and it’s the G26 inside and outside of the house. The only times I’m not wearing a gun, I’m either in bed or in the shower.

medmo
05-03-2020, 11:04 PM
Carry concealed 10 hours a day 7 days a week? That is kind of a ridiculous standard. I pretty much have a firearm with me 24 x 7. Concealed, on my body 10 hours a day, seven days a week, every week? No, absolutely not. It might be on the night stand, on top of the fridge, etc., but not in a concealed holster on my person all day long. When I go out into the world, you bet, I'm strapping all of the time.

vcdgrips
05-04-2020, 12:59 AM
If I am awake, dressed and out of the house, 70% of the time G35, 15% G19, 10% 1911, 10% G34.
I am certainly flirting with the 10/7 spread.

rob_s
05-04-2020, 06:23 AM
I very rarely carry anymore. We made a choice to move from an area that I personally love, and would happily live in for the rest of my life, to an area that’s a bit slower, a bit less “dangerous”, where the houses are further apart but the people know each other better... having done so, my attitude toward carrying now, as a non-LE, middle-aged white guy, has changed. If I were to move again, and the area we were considering moving to was such that I felt like I had to carry all the time (again) I probably wouldn’t move there.

15 years ago I was carrying a full-size 1911 and two reloads every day. Today I stick a .32 in my pocket from time to time if I think I might encounter a dog on a bike or golf card ride with the family. I’m much happier, and feel much safer, today.

I do keep a Glock 26 in a console vault in the truck at all times. Say what you will about that being irresponsible, etc. I don’t care. It’s locked more so the kids don’t get or so someone doesn’t get their hands on it and use it against me or my own. I’ve considered changing that gun out for a... what’s the single stack Glock new hotness in 9? I can’t recall their model numbers anymore. Might make me grab it and slip it in the waistband more often if it was smaller. But again, more often than not my criteria becomes “I think I should go ahead and grab a gun. Wait a minute, I think I need a gun to go to this place? I think I’ll just stay home or not get out of the car or keep driving...”

olstyn
05-04-2020, 07:27 AM
Work is a NPE (policy prohibition which would result in termination), so I don't carry there, which makes me fail the test posed by the OP. I do carry nearly 100% of the time when outside the house other than for work. (Ok, not when biking, but who can conceal a gun in spandex?) Not sure what the point of that test was unless it was to show that some animals are more equal than others. Is my carry gun somehow not a real carry gun because I only carry it when I can do so without risking being fired?

Doc_Glock
05-04-2020, 08:01 AM
If I am awake I am armed. In pajamas or workout clothes or regular clothes around the house: LCP in pocket. Heading out to work or otherwise: Chopped grip G17 AIWB.

Riding bike or hiking: same gun in Safepacker.

Running: G26 or G43 OWB under shirt.

I keep the AIWB on often at home but the weight can get to me so I also often stow it in the bedside safe.

When not in person, Guns are stowed in simplex bedside safe.

RevolverRob
05-04-2020, 08:55 AM
We should note there are other ways of being 'armed' than carrying a pistol.

I imagine there is a reason why Sidheshooter, Clusterfrack, misanthropist, me, and I'm sure many others have dedicated quite a bit of time to training with contact weapons, because our NPEs have considerable legal and/or financial implications for carrying firearms, but less so for say...a blade or impact weapon.

I do not walk out of my house unarmed, my keys hold a Top Popper. I carry a knife clipped to my person pretty much all the time I'm not in the shower or asleep. Right now, 8" from my left hand, is a Shivworks punch dagger. It's setup and used for appendix carry with a DCC clip, for when I walk my dog while wearing gym shorts or track pants. I have carried a Clinch Pick pretty much every single day I haven't been traveling by airplane, since 2015.

In fact, when flying is about the only time I am 'unarmed' in the traditional sense. Otherwise a weapon is almost always on or about my person. And obviously, if I check luggage, a weapon (usually a blade) comes along for the ride.

Maple Syrup Actual
05-04-2020, 10:03 AM
Definitely so in my case - something fairly specific would have to be going on for me to feel like it was worth the risk associated with carrying a handgun here. But lots of other options don't mean an automatic arrest and trial if discovered, so I go through my life unarmed by some standards, heavily armed by others.

About five months ago I witnessed an incident which was easily the starkest example of interpersonal conflict I have seen since moving here: in a bar around close, there was a TV showing hockey highlights and the Leafs were on the screen and one guy said "hey, no juniors in the highlights!" andanother guy said "At least we have Stanley Cups, how many have you got?" and the first guy said that sing-songy "FAAAAK-off, the last time you won, we weren't even playing yet." And the second guy say, "Yeah, ok Darren."

Oh and there was the horn-honking incident at the roundabout by the gas station: a couple of weeks ago at the roundabout by the gas station, someone honked their horn, not in a double-tap, you go first kind of way, but in an angry, leaning on it way. People on scene were quite shocked although it did not make the local paper. But I did check the letters section because I thought it might.

At any rate I don't get gunned up here, ever. I do still habitually gear up with contact weapons, although to be honest, unless I'm heading out of town it's only because I have this remote concern that the one day I don't, I'll wish I had something. But the above descriptions aren't jokes, they're really true depictions of the town I live in. I'll have to remember to take a walk down to the underpass where the graffiti is to get a picture for you all...when we found it, Erin said "Ah, finally, the underbelly of Ladysmith - that's graffiti on the tunnel wall!"

So we walked over to take a look and it said "Ladysmith is great!"

Not a joke.

Anyway yeah, I'm never gunned up. I feel absurdly over-armed as it is, but I do carry a CP, a sap, and a folder. Or, if I'm just heading out in shorts with no belt loops, a CRKT Provoke, because fuck it, why not. It's pretty freaking cool.

45dotACP
05-04-2020, 10:49 AM
10 hours a day 7 days a week is not feasible when you work around an MRI machine from time to time.

Fun fact, the magnet is ALWAYS on. Even if the machine is not scanning. Leads to fun little mishaps like people's glasses flying across the room to not fun big mishaps, like people suffering terrible head trauma when an oxygen tank flies across the room.

It sure would be hella fun to explain why my 1911 flew out of my scrubs and across the room. Or a knife. That would be hysterical.

I ride armed to work, and from work, and usually in my day to day social life, but a hospital is a No-No for more than a few reasons.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

frozentundra
05-04-2020, 10:52 AM
I very rarely carry anymore. We made a choice to move from an area that I personally love, and would happily live in for the rest of my life, to an area that’s a bit slower, a bit less “dangerous”, where the houses are further apart but the people know each other better... having done so, my attitude toward carrying now, as a non-LE, middle-aged white guy, has changed. If I were to move again, and the area we were considering moving to was such that I felt like I had to carry all the time (again) I probably wouldn’t move there.

15 years ago I was carrying a full-size 1911 and two reloads every day. Today I stick a .32 in my pocket from time to time if I think I might encounter a dog on a bike or golf card ride with the family. I’m much happier, and feel much safer, today.

I do keep a Glock 26 in a console vault in the truck at all times. Say what you will about that being irresponsible, etc. I don’t care. It’s locked more so the kids don’t get or so someone doesn’t get their hands on it and use it against me or my own. I’ve considered changing that gun out for a... what’s the single stack Glock new hotness in 9? I can’t recall their model numbers anymore. Might make me grab it and slip it in the waistband more often if it was smaller. But again, more often than not my criteria becomes “I think I should go ahead and grab a gun. Wait a minute, I think I need a gun to go to this place? I think I’ll just stay home or not get out of the car or keep driving...”

Somewhere in America, Tom Givens' right eye just started to twitch inexplicably.... :p

Rex G
05-04-2020, 11:02 AM
We should note there are other ways of being 'armed' than carrying a pistol.

I imagine there is a reason why Sidheshooter, Clusterfrack, misanthropist, me, and I'm sure many others have dedicated quite a bit of time to training with contact weapons, because our NPEs have considerable legal and/or financial implications for carrying firearms, but less so for say...a blade or impact weapon.

I do not walk out of my house unarmed, my keys hold a Top Popper. I carry a knife clipped to my person pretty much all the time I'm not in the shower or asleep. Right now, 8" from my left hand, is a Shivworks punch dagger. It's setup and used for appendix carry with a DCC clip, for when I walk my dog while wearing gym shorts or track pants. I have carried a Clinch Pick pretty much every single day I haven't been traveling by airplane, since 2015.

In fact, when flying is about the only time I am 'unarmed' in the traditional sense. Otherwise a weapon is almost always on or about my person. And obviously, if I check luggage, a weapon (usually a blade) comes along for the ride.

Definitely so in my case - something fairly specific would have to be going on for me to feel like it was worth the risk associated with carrying a handgun here. But lots of other options don't mean an automatic arrest and trial if discovered, so I go through my life unarmed by some standards, heavily armed by others.

About five months ago I witnessed an incident which was easily the starkest example of interpersonal conflict I have seen since moving here: in a bar around close, there was a TV showing hockey highlights and the Leafs were on the screen and one guy said "hey, no juniors in the highlights!" andanother guy said "At least we have Stanley Cups, how many have you got?" and the first guy said that sing-songy "FAAAAK-off, the last time you won, we weren't even playing yet." And the second guy say, "Yeah, ok Darren."

Oh and there was the horn-honking incident at the roundabout by the gas station: a couple of weeks ago at the roundabout by the gas station, someone honked their horn, not in a double-tap, you go first kind of way, but in an angry, leaning on it way. People on scene were quite shocked although it did not make the local paper. But I did check the letters section because I thought it might.

At any rate I don't get gunned up here, ever. I do still habitually gear up with contact weapons, although to be honest, unless I'm heading out of town it's only because I have this remote concern that the one day I don't, I'll wish I had something. But the above descriptions aren't jokes, they're really true depictions of the town I live in. I'll have to remember to take a walk down to the underpass where the graffiti is to get a picture for you all...when we found it, Erin said "Ah, finally, the underbelly of Ladysmith - that's graffiti on the tunnel wall!"

Not a joke.

Anyway yeah, I'm never gunned up. I feel absurdly over-armed as it is, but I do carry a CP, a sap, and a folder. Or, if I'm just heading out in shorts with no belt loops, a CRKT Provoke, because fuck it, why not. It's pretty freaking cool.

It is quite true that we should think beyond our guns.

BehindBlueI's
05-04-2020, 11:04 AM

I do primarily for two reasons:

1) Marked car in the driveway.

2) Wal-mart within foot-pursuit fleeing distance.

rob_s
05-04-2020, 11:22 AM

Not a joke.

I agree with you guys that just because no gun, doesn't mean unarmed.

I'd also say that as much flack as I give the firearms industry fear machine, having once been fully doused in the koolaid my top takeaway from those times is just simply being situationally aware. I have avoided all sorts of nonsense "on the streets" that I've watched others get themselves embroiled in, or that the people with me were otherwise oblivious to, on more occasions than I can count. Particularly in our old town, but even still in our current area when we venture into town and encounter the local fauna I like to refer to as "salt water rednecks". Simply looking forward down the sidewalk and deciding to lead my posse into a bar or shop we weren't otherwise planning on visiting, or crossing the road a little earlier than we were planning. I don't even bother pointing most of this shit out anymore since too often you get a "nah, I'm sure that guy is harmless" to which I think "yeah, i'm pretty sure he is too, but since I spotted him two blocks away I (a) don't have to find our firsthand and (b) can avoid the smell, if nothing else".

Seven_Sicks_Two
05-04-2020, 11:37 AM
In my last job, I spent many hours on the road as an outside rep in the firearms/outdoor business. A Glock 19 AIWB was my constant companion. I was on the road M-F, carrying knives, guns, and expensive fishing equipment as samples. I'd frequently find myself in crappy motels, in crappy neighborhoods. The customers I called on were dudes that owned or managed gun shops and sporting goods stores. Getting "made" by any of the guys I called on would've had zero consequences (expect maybe an annoying conversation about whatever gun/ammo combo they were carrying).

I've since left the industry and work in an NPE office environment. I'm pretty much bolted to a desk from 8-4:30. I spent a few months carrying the 19 off-body in a messenger bag that I kept at my desk, but never felt comfortable with that setup. Several months ago, I picked up an LCP for NPE duty. I carry it in either a BFG 10-Speed or Desantis Superfly pocket holster (depending on the pants I'm wearing that day). Is it optimal? No, of course not. But it doesn't print in a way that looks like a gun, and it allows me to be armed.

In the era of Covid-19, I mostly sit at my dining room table and bang away on a laptop. The LCP, a SAK Tinker, and a Microstream go into my pockets when I wake up and get dressed in the morning. There are obviously other guns nearby, but the Little Crappy Pistol is unobtrusive enough that being armed 16+ hours a day isn't really a chore.

When I leave the house (a rarity these days), I grab the 19, and carry it AIWB. The LCP is still in my pocket.

Paul D
05-04-2020, 12:00 PM
10 hours a day 7 days a week is not feasible when you work around an MRI machine from time to time.

Fun fact, the magnet is ALWAYS on. Even if the machine is not scanning. Leads to fun little mishaps like people's glasses flying across the room to not fun big mishaps, like people suffering terrible head trauma when an oxygen tank flies across the room.

It sure would be hella fun to explain why my 1911 flew out of my scrubs and across the room. Or a knife. That would be hysterical.

I ride armed to work, and from work, and usually in my day to day social life, but a hospital is a No-No for more than a few reasons.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Ceramic is not magnetic. An MRI will not snatch it...so I've been told. They can be had for less than $60 so it's not the end of the world if you had to ditch it.

https://pics.knifecenter.com/eyJidWNrZXQiOiAiZmlsZXMua25pZmVjZW50ZXIuY29tIiwia2 V5IjogImtuaWZlY2VudGVyL3N0b25lLXJpdmVyLWdlYXIvaW1h Z2VzL1NSRzQxUkNXbm4uanBnIiwiZWRpdHMiOiB7InJlc2l6ZS I6IHsid2lkdGgiOiA1NDUsImhlaWdodCI6IDQxNSwiZml0Ijog ImNvbnRhaW4iLCJiYWNrZ3JvdW5kIjogeyJyIjogMjU1LCJnIj ogMjU1LCJiIjogMjU1LCJhbHBoYSI6IDF9fX19

Stephanie B
05-04-2020, 12:00 PM

I do primarily for two reasons:

1) Marked car in the driveway.

2) Wal-mart within foot-pursuit fleeing distance.

I did in my last abode. It was on the route between the Scumbag Apartments and the liquor store at the far end of the street as well as the Walmart across the main drag. A lot of people walked that route. More than a few were known to check car doors and house for targets of opportunity. I had all of my mail sent to a PO box and never mailed anything from the box at the end of the driveway.

Maple Syrup Actual
05-04-2020, 12:37 PM
I agree with you guys that just because no gun, doesn't mean unarmed.

I'd also say that as much flack as I give the firearms industry fear machine, having once been fully doused in the koolaid my top takeaway from those times is just simply being situationally aware. I have avoided all sorts of nonsense "on the streets" that I've watched others get themselves embroiled in, or that the people with me were otherwise oblivious to, on more occasions than I can count. Particularly in our old town, but even still in our current area when we venture into town and encounter the local fauna I like to refer to as "salt water rednecks". Simply looking forward down the sidewalk and deciding to lead my posse into a bar or shop we weren't otherwise planning on visiting, or crossing the road a little earlier than we were planning. I don't even bother pointing most of this shit out anymore since too often you get a "nah, I'm sure that guy is harmless" to which I think "yeah, i'm pretty sure he is too, but since I spotted him two blocks away I (a) don't have to find our firsthand and (b) can avoid the smell, if nothing else".

Of all the skills I have taken from the tactical industry, this is also the absolute top one for me. I hate acronyms, to be honest, and I don't think anyone has a specific patent on this level of awareness but obviously I can hardly even consider the topic without mentioning Craig and MUC as a framework for augmenting that awareness.

Shilling aside, for a long time I have argued that if you're into this stuff, what you want to do is have a focus not on armament, but on "weaponization". I should be working right now so not going to go into a whole long thing (again this morning, I'm really not accomplishing much for my employer so far today and I need to address that for the whole afternoon) but in the same way that a virus can be weaponized, I like to think that a person can be weaponized and that this is ultimately the entire goal of all the training, all the thinking, all the doing. You want to be a weaponized version of yourself, and this really transcends carrying a gun completely - I can talk about carrying a folder or a sap or whatever but those are also of course totally secondary to the headspace of evaluating the need for their application.

So for me, as a salt water frostback in a friendly little town, I'm evaluating my risk threshold while I'm walking down the street because my mind has been highly weaponized by exposure to all the stuff we're all into, and I'm finding my risk level really low. But that awareness of the threat level and the ability to ACCURATELY judge it as low, is totally dependent on the skillset I built up in the weaponization process and that's super valuable.

I guess we're way off topic here now so I apologize for the drift. But this is how I link the mental game to the choices I make about what I need to be carrying: the goal is not to be living life from inside an M1 Abrams. The goal (IMO at least) is to take the standard version of yourself and weaponize it, so that you can apply a whole bunch of lessons you could get from anyone from PATMAC!!!! to Craig Douglas to Greg Ellifritz to Claude Werner to Edward Snowden, apply them to your life and to your work and to everything, so you can keep winning all these exchanges that most people don't even realize are taking place. Some of those exchanges might be ones you solve with an AR (probably not many) and some you will solve with a calculator and a stock trading account. LOTS will be ones you win by looking down the street with a particular eye to what's coming.

So there you go, that's my off-the-cuff ramble about why I think the question being asked in this thread isn't even really that important and now that I phrase it that way I sort of wish I had not typed this all out to put here because I don't want to delete it because I made the effort to write it out, I don't think it warrants its own thread, but I don't think it belongs here, either.

Totem Polar
05-04-2020, 01:10 PM
I'll have to remember to take a walk down to the underpass where the graffiti is to get a picture for you all...when we found it, Erin said "Ah, finally, the underbelly of Ladysmith - that's graffiti on the tunnel wall!"

You just made me n K laugh out loud, for real. :)

RevolverRob, spot-on, buddy.

I am *never* unarmed.

Plus, I know exactly which table to commandeer a student and grab, and which window to throw it out of, on which side of the building to find the soft stuff to land on in a GTFO from the second floor. I know where the hard stuff (actual cover) is at each and every exit outside both buildings; where the reflective surfaces are, in and out... hell, the AED and med kit glass box is bolted on the wall outside my office at the liberal place, because I was the guy on faculty who actually bothered to take the free training (which was surprisingly good, btw).

You play the hand you’re dealt; move around the board game that’s in play.

Funny how that board game works: I’m reading misanthropist’s post and going "Oh maaaaaan... he gets to carry a sap! I wanna carry my Foster... thisstatesucksetcetc..."

If I got caught with a bespoke sap, the wailing from the state legislature could be heard from the Pleiades, but I’ve been able to legally stick a j-frame in my waistband since I turned 21, and my dad could do it since ‘61. Play the game; play the hand you’re dealt.

As an aside, next trip through an airport: buy some overpriced "Voss" water, once you get inside. The airports around me all have these extra-skinny, tall glass bottles of water, designed to bilk a captive audience out of 6-8 bucks. You’ll see. :)

As another aside the C19 sitch allowed me to teach my first day in 20 years with a steel Gov’t model AIWB, just because. I loaded it with goddam ball, while I was at it, too. I’d be kilt/streetz for sure, if any ran through our living room.

Totem Polar
05-04-2020, 01:25 PM
…I sort of wish I had not typed this all out to put here because I don't want to delete it because I made the effort to write it out, I don't think it warrants its own thread, but I don't think it belongs here, either.

Schrodinger’s post: simultaneously doesn’t belong in thread; best post in thread. I regret that I have but one like to give.

RevolverRob
05-04-2020, 02:10 PM
So there you go, that's my off-the-cuff ramble about why I think the question being asked in this thread isn't even really that important and now that I phrase it that way I sort of wish I had not typed this all out to put here because I don't want to delete it because I made the effort to write it out, I don't think it warrants its own thread, but I don't think it belongs here, either.

I think it absolutely belongs here in many respects. I agree with Sidhe.

I'll take it a bit farther along down the rabbit hole.

I know this is something we've talked about over on TPI many times and that is consideration for the multiple aspects of mindset development and the need to study and observe. One aspect of weaponization of the brain is winning battles every day many of which never result in the drawing of a sword. As you allude to, winning battles with calculators and stock accounts - they can (and often are) battles of survival that mean as much as winning a gunfight.

I know we sometimes rag on SouthNarc for his impeccable dress, $600 cufflinks, and craft cocktails, but it's something that I learned over on TPI about 8-9 years ago now that has fucking carried over with me over and over again. I can weaponize myself, by taking advantage of the culture surrounding me.

That means not only things like, crossing the street when the sketchy guy is there. Or avoid stupid places/stupid things. But it means things like, not dressing like a slob, grooming, eating well, not drinking to excess, when I do drink and eat publicly to do so with a sense of elan that isn't boasting but underlies a sophistication, that fits my profile as someone who travels the world quite frequently and has a bunch of letters after my name. Those things pay dividends in huge ways and have contributed more to my financial stability and mental health than any amount of gun or knife school ever could.

Of course, it doesn't hurt to walk into a room and be able to accurately judge whether or not you can beat every motherfucker in there, too. Nor to have the ability and means to flip the switch from "calm" to "violent". But as has been alluded to above - weaponizing yourself means often not needing to utilize violence. Violence is but one tool of weaponization of the person. Then we can get into sub-tools of violence (contact weapons, guns, blah blah blah).

The trick is learning to learn. To see, hear, process, and then organize, use, and manipulate that which is around you to result in successful outcomes that meet your personal (and hopefully society's) moral and ethical standards.

BehindBlueI's
05-04-2020, 04:14 PM
Of all the skills I have taken from the tactical industry, this is also the absolute top one for me. I hate acronyms, to be honest, and I don't think anyone has a specific patent on this level of awareness but obviously I can hardly even consider the topic without mentioning Craig and MUC as a framework for augmenting that awareness.

Shilling aside, for a long time I have argued that if you're into this stuff, what you want to do is have a focus not on armament, but on "weaponization". I should be working right now so not going to go into a whole long thing (again this morning, I'm really not accomplishing much for my employer so far today and I need to address that for the whole afternoon) but in the same way that a virus can be weaponized, I like to think that a person can be weaponized and that this is ultimately the entire goal of all the training, all the thinking, all the doing. You want to be a weaponized version of yourself, and this really transcends carrying a gun completely - I can talk about carrying a folder or a sap or whatever but those are also of course totally secondary to the headspace of evaluating the need for their application.

So for me, as a salt water frostback in a friendly little town, I'm evaluating my risk threshold while I'm walking down the street because my mind has been highly weaponized by exposure to all the stuff we're all into, and I'm finding my risk level really low. But that awareness of the threat level and the ability to ACCURATELY judge it as low, is totally dependent on the skillset I built up in the weaponization process and that's super valuable.

I guess we're way off topic here now so I apologize for the drift. But this is how I link the mental game to the choices I make about what I need to be carrying: the goal is not to be living life from inside an M1 Abrams. The goal (IMO at least) is to take the standard version of yourself and weaponize it, so that you can apply a whole bunch of lessons you could get from anyone from PATMAC!!!! to Craig Douglas to Greg Ellifritz to Claude Werner to Edward Snowden, apply them to your life and to your work and to everything, so you can keep winning all these exchanges that most people don't even realize are taking place. Some of those exchanges might be ones you solve with an AR (probably not many) and some you will solve with a calculator and a stock trading account. LOTS will be ones you win by looking down the street with a particular eye to what's coming.

This is largely why I don't feel freaked out traveling to Canada or Europe or wherever where I can't take a gun. Yeah, it might bite me in the ass. I don't care. I don't plan to live forever anyway and I know how to mitigate and minimize risk. In the states I carry a gun because it's no extra bother, so why not carry a gun. Abroad, if I can't I can't.

blues
05-04-2020, 04:24 PM
This is largely why I don't feel freaked out traveling to Canada or Europe or wherever where I can't take a gun. Yeah, it might bite me in the ass. I don't care. I don't plan to live forever anyway and I know how to mitigate and minimize risk. In the states I carry a gun because it's no extra bother, so why not carry a gun. Abroad, if I can't I can't.

The only time abroad that I really wanted to have a gun was while working a case in Sao Paulo, Brazil. We had a guy assigned to us, but it's not the same thing. Never bothered me during my travels overseas, otherwise.

medmo
05-04-2020, 11:23 PM
If I am awake, dressed and out of the house, 70% of the time G35, 15% G19, 10% 1911, 10% G34.
I am certainly flirting with the 10/7 spread.

Flirting with...

Horse shoes and hand grenades.

miller_man
05-05-2020, 03:46 PM
From the time I get up at~4-5 a.m. to taking clothes off to get into bed, there is a G43 in my right pocket - at work, at home doesn't matter. My work would be really tough with aiwb on all day. I carry aiwb plus g43 in pocket when going out for most other things.

UpDok
05-10-2020, 05:26 PM
I'm guessing about 5% to 6% of USA citizens have a Pistol Permit of some type and I'd guess out of that group maybe 10 to 20% of permitted carriers actually carry most of the time. I carry a loaded handgun every single day, all day except for places where it is illegal. I even sleep with a loaded weapon near by. I generally carry one of a couple of HK 9mm's or a J-frame in hot weather. I'd have to say I usually carry 24/7

Thankfully my Conservative Republican employer encourages discreet and well hidden carry by permit carriers who have had training. My wife also carries so my better half is on board with this lifestyle.

Cyberpunk1981
05-13-2020, 03:29 AM
If I am not at work I am carrying a Glock 19 or 26 with a 17 round reload or two. If I am at work I am carrying a Glock 17 with two or three reloads on my duty belt loaded with ammo issued to me by the company. I work for a private company as a contractor for local government so we can carry but the laws may or may not protect us on our way home depending on what exactly happens if I am hoping to get the company legal team to help me. But I am armed about 95% of the time. Sometimes if I am just running out to get a pizza or drive through I am not carrying but I am trying to be more conscious of that choice and usually just throw my Glock 26 into a pocket holster and into the glove box with a spare reload so I have something.

I am really considering one a Glock 43 or one of their other smaller single-stack 9mm models.

With regards to going without a firearm, I am privileged that I can carry at work but I do agree with the idea of learning to weaponize oneself. This is why I signed up for classes at the local Krav Maga school. I need to lose the spare tire I have and thought it might be useful to have some better hands on skills should it come to that. I've learned quite a bit doing the online classes and watching videos since the Covid-19 caused a stay at home order. Our gym will be opening back up soon and I look forward to a more hands on classroom.

spinmove_
05-13-2020, 07:21 AM
I work at a NPE 40+ hours a week. I don and doff a J-frame before and after work respectively. The weekends could see the inclusion of a G19, but generally sees J-frame duty as well due to it’s convenience and ability to blend in extremely well with generally whatever I wear on a daily basis.

So I top out at about 7 hours a day during the week. The weekend I’m easily 10+ hours a day carrying, but I definitely carry 7 days a week when and where legal.

Amp
05-13-2020, 08:15 AM
5" Wilson Combat .45ACP CQB everyday in a Raven Concealment Phantom IWB with tuckable overhooks with a Wilson Combat 10rd mag in my back pocket. I work in an office environment and this combination conceals very well.

When I come home and change clothes, a S&W 642 carried in a Kramer pocket holster. 2 Bianchi Speed Strips in right rear pocket.

If I go to town, I swap back to the CQB and 2 spare 8rd mags.

Irelander
05-13-2020, 02:13 PM
38SPL j-frame everyday for 8 hours in NPE.

HK P2000SK when out and about during evenings and weekends.

COVID-19 work from home, P2000SK when stepping out of the house.

FAS1
05-14-2020, 09:58 AM
Fortunately I don't work in an NPE or GFZ so I always carry. At home I always have a P3AT in my pocket and when away from home I ad my G26/IWB and keep the Keltec in my pocket. I got in the habit of pocket carry because it's so discrete and comfortable, but then I decided to start carrying my Glock more on a regular basis.