PDA

View Full Version : Spyderco fanboy thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Duelist
05-01-2020, 10:00 PM
I’ve been a fan for decades. I’ve got a few, and every member of my family has at least one of their own. Last I counted, we had 10 or so scattered around.

These are mine. I know some of y’all have a bunch, too. Blues probably has drawers full of them.

Clipit Rescue, original. Found while cleaning out a barracks. This one isn’t just a little bit of an awkward knife to my eyes and hand. Holding it by the handle and using the thumb hole for a regular one-hand opening is weird because the handle is narrow enough that my fingertips drag on the side of the blade the whole way out. Can do the Spyderco snap, but not the drop you can do with a heavier handle. Like all the early zytel handles, no liners.

The hole is nicely beveled, but smaller than the newer models. This matters more to those of us with larger digits, I suppose. It’s another thing that makes it awkward for me to use: the end result of being beveled and polished and small is that the hole is straight up slippery and less easy to find purchase on.

It’s a Seki City knife, made of AUS-8A, which at its time of production was hot stuff. Very corrosion resistant, moderate edge holding. For most purposes, I’m not a serration fan, but this is a purpose-built knife, so I left them on it and reprofiled the ones that were buggered by the soldier who had it before me. I’ve snorkled with this knife, and have left it in the armrest of vehicles for years at a time as a seatbelt cutter. Never has been a carry knife at all for me because of limited utility application.

Sabre hollow grinds are another thing I don’t love. Leaves a thick, bulky blade on the spine side, and when slicing, some materials seem to get suctioned onto the hollow and don’t come off easily, making working with the knife more of a chore. My first Delica had this issue, and got convexed nearly to the spine to fix it. Of course, I lost that one, so I can’t show it off.

Tenacious. I showed this one in LL’s Resilience thread. This was the first model in the China product line after Spyderco’s successful proof-of-concept producing less expensive knives in mainland China under the Byrd trademark. I don’t know if they still do, but the product line used to be called the Tenacious line after the flagship model.

The steel is 8CR13MoV, which is a Chinese formula. Very corrosion resistant, reasonable edge holding, takes a very keen edge and is easy to sharpen. Excellent full flat grind geometry and blade shape, but the edge left something to be desired as a slicer, so I convexed the edge area only. I like some things about this knife more than most, and it is a favorite, but I have reservations about it as a general purpose all the time knife for my use because the steel lined G10 handle is only just big enough for me. With the edge coming right up the the front of the handle, I have to be very careful using it because there’s only one place for my index finger to go when using it in a conventional cutting hold. On the other hand, were it my only blade, I’d get by. In spite of being a little short for me, the handle is much more substantial and workable than the original zytel clipits or even the steel Delica.

Sage 2. Titanium, frame lock, CPM S30V. Sidheshooter sold this to me several years ago, after I lost my first Delica (because polished stainless steel handles are too slippery and it slid out of my pocket). I don’t even care anymore that I lost that knife, because this one is superior for me in every way. This is, for most uses and most of the time in my life, my absolute favorite locking blade knife and one I would replace immediately if I lost it. The handle is more ergonomic, wider, lighter, better textured, there is a real and useable finger choil with great serrations top and bottom, the steel is excellent, the blade geometry is so well thought out it’s ridiculous. The frame lock is awesome for a right hand user, but awkward for left hand use.

The clip is both a strong point and a weak point. It’s a wire deep carry design that is very low profile and discreet, which is perfect for the office environment, but still allows relatively fast access carry of a substantial one-hand knife. On the other hand, it isn’t as strong as the robust spring steel clips, and doesn’t hold onto the pocket or handle as well. Round wire stock is held with a single screw into grooves cut into the titanium for the purpose. There can be movement, and the clip will bend out of shape. Still superior for my uses to the zytel clips.

Manix 2, Axis lock, sprint in M4 with translucent G10. This is a truly great knife. Steel liners for strength that are skeletonized for weight savings. When I need a bigger, more robust knife than the Sage, I grab this one and I’ll take on the world. Very ergonomic, no worries ever about the handle being too small to do real work with my big hands. The axis lock is ambidextrous and super strong. If I do ever get another Sage, if there’s one available at the time with an Axis lock, it’d be hard to get another frame lock.

My wife has an original Native and a zytel Dragonfly, my daughter has a stainless handled Dragonfly with the engraved dragonfly on it, my son has a Byrd Cara Cara that he got for camping and just loves, and I’ve got a wharncliffe Delica around here somewhere. That Delica’s pocket clip broke the second day I had it, but I decided it was better as a light drop in the slacks knife anyway, so that’s where it is, somewhere in my closet in a jacket or pair of pants I haven’t put on in a while. The Dragonfly is a super design, but too small to really be useful for me, while my daughter and wife find them a great fit.

Anyway. I expect the Para 2 posse will shortly arrive and explain why everyone should have one of those, and they’re probably right. Blues will probably show forth a drawer full of every model and generational variant. ;)

I invite other fans to share their Spydercos, what they like about them, what they may not like, mods they’ve done, and so forth.

blues
05-01-2020, 10:13 PM
Some I still have and some I don't...

...don't have pix of a few others (PM2, Para 3, Calypso Jr. (ZDP-189), Police 4, Urban. etc)

Clusterfrack
05-01-2020, 10:33 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200502/4797fb49ebefbbc015b5cf522f1becc6.jpg
The P’Kal trainer is somewhat dangerous, so it doesn’t get a lot of use.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200502/abe78de130c77aa9df0a7a0fb7de5a40.jpg

Clusterfrack
05-01-2020, 10:37 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200502/3ffdcdab9082e8a4d8d506ff7c32a05c.file
My first good knife.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200502/7c424a588daee32121d01812ad441690.jpg
My older daughter’s graduation knife.

Duelist
05-01-2020, 10:43 PM

I’m such a sucker for a good wharnie.

Clusterfrack
05-01-2020, 10:48 PM
I’m such a sucker for a good wharnie.

Me too

Le Français
05-01-2020, 11:09 PM
Mine is a Pacific Salt, which is very similar to an Endura, but with slightly different blade tip shape, and the H1 rust-proof steel. It's been great as an EDC blade: Extremely lightweight, very flat, large enough, solid lockup, and maintenance free. I've gone swimming with it in the ocean and didn't have to worry about corrosion. The steel takes a good edge readily, but seems to lose it just a little faster than some other steels I've experienced. Note: Mine is the "1" version, I think, which has a slightly different handle than the "2" pictured below. My error.

PNWTO
05-01-2020, 11:12 PM
Damn I need a Yojimbo.

Le Français
05-01-2020, 11:16 PM
Damn I need a Yojimbo.

If you're trying to resist the urge, I can almost guarantee that this video will not help. :)

https://youtu.be/1ddOdONCCqU

WobblyPossum
05-02-2020, 01:18 AM

I’ve got all of those except the Yojimbo. Likely because I found Craig Douglas’ material before I found Mike Janich’s. I have wanted a Yojimbo for a while though and I’ll probably end up buying one. I carry the P’kal regularly but have never used my Reverse. The scales are too big and I couldn’t figure out how to conceal it. I took it out of the box, figured that out, and put it right back in the box. I wonder if Dark Star Gear still makes those smaller scales for the Reverse orionz06. For those people actually carrying their Reverse, how are you doing it? Do you use the scales and sheath it came with or did it take some aftermarket stuff to make the knife practical?

ETA: What do you mean by the P’kal trainer being dangerous?

Isaac
05-02-2020, 03:03 AM
My first was a stainless Police Model, straight edge. Inspired by that capoeira movie’s bad guy, years ago! It was massive and heavy. Then I learned about the waved Delica and Endura models, before the scales had liners. Then came the Pkal.

And finally this one. Feels nice and planted in the hand, fwd or reverse, edge in or out. And if I lose it, no big deal.

Tensaw
05-02-2020, 07:51 AM
Heh... I started my law enforcement career right about the time knives became “tactical”. Ya’ll remember that far back? That translated me into buying an old school Delica. Molded zytel handle with molded clip. Talk about some tactical wizardry! I was good to go with that bad boy! Or so I thought... Then I dropped it, tip down, on to a concrete floor. Snapped the tip clean off. I re-ground the blade so it wasn’t too terrible. I still shake my head at myself and how bad ass I thought that knife was at the time. I have a vague idea of where it may be so if anyone cares, I can look around to see if I can find it for some glamour shots.

I carried a Benchmade for years when they came out with the Axis Lock. It never did suit me, nor cut, as well as my Spydercos. (The Benchmade had a blade of M2 steel. Wow. I can’t believe I remember that.) I bought a Manix pretty quick after they came into production and haven’t looked back. Every now and then I do make goo goo eyes at the current Manix line with the upgraded locks, but I really like the size, shape, and heft of my old lock-back Manix. I did replace the Spyderco clip with one off of a Benchmade. The Benchmade clip feels like actual spring steel with some sort of coating rather than a piece of stamped steel with cheap black paint. I haven’t been able to bring myself to drop the coin on one of the aftermarket clips.

rob_s
05-02-2020, 07:58 AM
Ive got this guy laying around. Kinda an oddball.

Wondering Beard
05-02-2020, 08:47 AM

RJ
05-02-2020, 08:48 AM

Can somebody tell me what this is (was)? After my divorce I got rid of a bunch of stuff I didn't really want anymore; this was sold on eBay. I kind of regret it now, because I bought it a long time ago (80s? I honestly can't recall.)

Sigh. Probably should have kept it. These days I carry an inexpensive Dragonfly 2.

Joe S
05-02-2020, 09:43 AM
My first not-junk knife I bought myself was an early Endura, with the integral Zytel clip. Went through a few Enduras, all lost or given away at different spots on the planet.

Not long after the first Endura, I was playing with serrations, picked up a Rescue with the plastic clip, and an Endura 2, because I was jealous of a friend's Police, but couldn't spare the coin for one. Joke was on him: we worked landscaping and construction together as reckless teens, and he snapped that pretty tip while mine kept going. Included is one of the wooden trainers I ground out for our basement sparring sessions, based on the original Endura.

Probably not a ton of folks remember the Mas one.

Last is the Shivworks designs. Highly recommend the Dark Star Gear clip sheath for it. Way better than the factory sheath, which is workable, but not perfect.

Joe S
05-02-2020, 09:53 AM
I carry the P’kal regularly but have never used my Reverse. The scales are too big and I couldn’t figure out how to conceal it. I took it out of the box, figured that out, and put it right back in the box. I wonder if Dark Star Gear still makes those smaller scales for the Reverse orionz06. For those people actually carrying their Reverse, how are you doing it? Do you use the scales and sheath it came with or did it take some aftermarket stuff to make the knife practical?

See my post for the Dark Star Gear sheath. Big improvement. I believe they are still doing the scales, too.

You could also just go at the factory scales with any combo of Dremel, hacksaw, sandpaper, grinder. Wear respiratory protection from the G-10, be careful of the dust/shavings.

Clusterfrack
05-02-2020, 10:16 AM
ETA: What do you mean by the P’kal trainer being dangerous?

The tip is pretty sharp and will make some good bruises, which isn't a dealbreaker. But the wave-stud is the real problem for training with a partner. I've had it snag and rip clothing, and also poke a guy in the hand (why was he grabbing the knife???). The P'Kal trainer is pretty much not welcome in the dojo anymore.

WobblyPossum
05-02-2020, 11:06 AM
See my post for the Dark Star Gear sheath. Big improvement. I believe they are still doing the scales, too.

You could also just go at the factory scales with any combo of Dremel, hacksaw, sandpaper, grinder. Wear respiratory protection from the G-10, be careful of the dust/shavings.
I’ll look into the DSG sheath as well. Thanks.

The tip is pretty sharp and will make some good bruises, which isn't a dealbreaker. But the wave-stud is the real problem for training with a partner. I've had it snag and rip clothing, and also poke a guy in the hand (why was he grabbing the knife???). The P'Kal trainer is pretty much not welcome in the dojo anymore.

I hadn’t thought of the wave stud potentially injuring my training partner. That makes sense.

Clusterfrack
05-02-2020, 11:09 AM
Yojimbo 2 live and trainer, with 5x5 Combat Solutions Pickpocket (https://5x5combatsolutions.com/shop/ols/products/pickpocket-exo-ccessory) wave openers.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200502/3fd37118fe0c291b49e078542da1fc28.jpg

WobblyPossum
05-02-2020, 11:35 AM
If you're trying to resist the urge, I can almost guarantee that this video will not help. :)

https://youtu.be/1ddOdONCCqU

You’re right. I should not have watched that video. There’s likely a Yojimbo 2 in my future, and possibly a Ronin 2 as well.

Duelist
05-02-2020, 11:45 AM
Yojimbo 2 live and trainer, with 5x5 Combat Solutions Pickpocket (https://5x5combatsolutions.com/shop/ols/products/pickpocket-exo-ccessory) wave openers.

Those wave openers are cool!

I had a zytel/FRN Delica with the Emerson wave at one time. Loaned it to my daughter for a camping trip and it didn’t make it home.

Clusterfrack
05-02-2020, 11:47 AM
...Loaned it to my daughter for a camping trip and it didn’t make it home.

That sucks. That’s why my daughters have their own knives. Haven’t lost them yet...

vcdgrips
05-02-2020, 01:53 PM
Like many here I suspect, my first not-junk knife I bought myself was an early Delica, with the integral Zytel clip. It was serrated because it is what they had and I did not know what I did not know
A lost Delica later. I stumbled across Walmart seling a Native model made in the USA w CPM S30V steel. IIRC, the retail was sub 50.00 with tax and it may have been the most expensive folder they were selling at the time. They were a go to present of mine for graduations, birthdays and Father's Day that year for sure. Knowing what I know now, I should have bought 12 and put them on the shelf.

I then got turned onto the Limited Edition (1 of 500) Emerson Endura Waves. Bought 2, lost one, sold one and bought another in the last few years. VG10 Steel.

Because I lose knives much more often than I should, I thought I lost the Native last spring, so I ended up buying the Cat-10 off of Amazon. Love the clip. Good and sharp blade. A bit dressier than a Native. Found the Native so I remain a happy camper.

Finally, I bought a Reverse despite carrying a CP with no issues. Found the Reverse to be too big for me to carry 9-5 with a jacket and tie relative to the CP. Sold it to a TFO who is putting it to good use.

The Yojimbo link has me thinking long and hard about one of those. The fixed blade version (Ronin) is intriguing though I confess I continue to be well served by the CP and my knife fighting skills tend to revolve around the stab and slash like a money on meth school such that another fixed blade is probably not the wisest investment relative to a cool folder.

5pins
05-02-2020, 02:04 PM
My first Spyderco knife was a Delica with an FRN pocket clip. My stupid sister in law thought it would make a good key for her glove box. It didn't and she promptly broke the tip off. I would use this knife for flying after that in case it was taken. I'm not sure what happened to it.

My second one was an Endura. Standard blade, non-serrated this time. I lost it to a pickpocket. At least I think it was a pickpocket, how else would you explain it disappearing from my pocket? I'm sure it couldn't have just fallen out and got lost

The Q knife. I little on the small size but kind of a cool idea.

The Native. Great knife, not too small, very thin and lightweight.

The Rescue. It used to be clipped on the sun visor of my truck. That's why the clip is on the left side.

The Vesuvius. This was my EDC knife for a few years. You don't see ATS-34 steel anymore but it would stay sharp and slice very well. It was also my first compression lock Spyderco and I have been a fan of them since.

The Chokwe. My wife got this for me as an anniversary gift. Titanium frame lock with a thin G10 handle. I put a deep carry pocket clip and now use it as a dress-up knife. It doesn't get used much.

The Paramilitary 2. This was my EDC for a few years and is the reason I became a big fan of the PM2. I may have swung around with some others for short periods of time but I always came back to this knife.

https://i.imgur.com/hOj4UdH.jpg?2

The Para 3. This was a sprint run from Blade HQ IIRC. What I discovered was I didn't like the Jade handles and it was a little smaller then I liked. I never actually cut anything with it and sold it.

https://i.imgur.com/WTr0TMl.jpg?2

The Paramilitary 2-2. This is only the second sprint run I have ever bought and thought it would make a great replacement to my current PM 2. I have carried it for about a year or so. It has CMP 20CV steel and to be honest I'm not very impressed. I think the S30V on my other one holds an edge better.

The Paramilitary 2-3. I think I'm going to replace number 2-2 with this one soon. It has Maxamet steel and supposed to be one of the best steels for holding an edge. It's also hard to manufacture with longer blades. This is why they can be found shorter blades like the PM 3 and Native and Manix lightweight.

The PM 3-2. I only got this one because I wanted to get a set of the 3 "Military's" in Maxamet. The largest of the three is the Military and it has been unattainable for a few years now. The PM 2 came out for a short time but can only be found on E-Bay at the time. When I talked to the guy at SHOT about this and asked when the Military would come out he said, and I'm Paraphrasing, "don't hold your breath".

If I were smart I would use the PM 3 as a replacement for the PM 2 since it still available and I could replace it if something happened.

5pins
05-02-2020, 04:44 PM
I decided to try out the Para 3 for awhile.

First cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjZs5liKU68&feature=youtu.be

1911Nut
05-02-2020, 04:48 PM
Re: The Native Model.

I am anything but a knife expert. I own three or four Benchmade knives and a similar number of Spyderco knives. But one of the least expensive is the Spyderco Native. And I usually carry that knife about 75% of the time. It does everything I need from a knife, I love the ergonomics, weight, and size of the knife, and I have even "lost" it twice, only to miraculously discover it again (once in the middle of the Coconino National Forest in Arizona).

Don't know where I am going with this, but I am really a big fan of that knife.

Mister X
05-02-2020, 06:03 PM

Poconnor
05-02-2020, 06:09 PM
I got my first delica in 91? I have carried a spyderco ever since. One I got hired by the PD in 96 I carried two delicas everyday in uniform. Left and right front pocket. I took an Insights clip it class taught by John holschen in 97? After 911 I could not carry a delica on a airplane so I switched to enduras. I still usually carry an endura every day. I have several other spydercos that I will dig out

ReverendMeat
05-02-2020, 07:51 PM
Got a Reverse which rarely gets carried due to the length of the grips, very non-discreet. But it's easily the sharpest OTOB knife I've ever owned

vaspence
05-02-2020, 09:43 PM

I’ve abused a few Spydercos over the years. The bottom left Endura was the first I bought back in 91 or 92 and I carried it until the plastic pocket clip broke. It was followed by a stainless Police model that resides in the garage tool box. The Viele I bought at a mall knife store and daily carried a lot also. My right thumb tip is crooked to this day from slicing it almost off with the Viele the first day I owned it. The Terzola Jr was also a daily carry for a while. The H2s and Rescue all see/saw use over years of kayaking and owning a kayak business. I really like the Spydercos in H1 but can see a Waterway and Native 5 LC200n in my future.

DMCutter
05-02-2020, 11:55 PM
Love me some wharnies, too. I have 3 or 4 Yojimbos, 2 Ronin 1s, 2 or 3 Ronin 2s, and a Yurco Ronin. The Ronin 1 is the best feeling knife I've ever handled.

Norville
05-03-2020, 09:48 AM
Here are a few:

Norville
05-03-2020, 01:37 PM
And some more. The Police is the first Spyderco I ever bought, a long time ago.

Clusterfrack
05-03-2020, 01:55 PM

I so wish that Ronin had a reverse edge.

Jared
05-03-2020, 03:43 PM

My most recent additions. I’ll admit that I’m not so much a Spyderco fanboy as I really have a Spyderco problem. The three in the pic are two Delicas and an Endela.

The Delica has probably become my favorite model to try things with. They’re good quality and affordable enough that if I want to try something new (like the combo edge in the pic for example) I’ll pick up a Delica in that configuration to see how I like it. Now, I’ve got a PM2 and a Para 3 and other US made Spyderco models. I think they are actually better knives. But to me though, if I’m gonna take a risk on a blade type or whatever it’s easier to do with a $75 knife than a $150 knife.

Another thing I’ve come to love about the Delica line is I can take them to work with confidence. There’s holes at work where if I dropped a PM2 I would never see it again. Lot easier to stomach losing the less expensive Delica models.

Jared
05-03-2020, 04:06 PM

Some of my Golden, CO Spyderco. Manix 2, PM2, Native 5LW and the Para 3.

Para 3 was my first Spydie, and the PM2 was my graduation present to myself when I finished my Bachelors degree this past December. One of these knives is my very favorite Spyderco model, but I can’t fully decide which one it is. It’s probably the PM2, but sometimes I think I like the shorter blade of the Para 3 better. Or maybe the way the Manix just hugs the hand, maybe it’s the one. Or maybe the way the Native 5 is such a simple/perfect EDC knife that doesn’t seem to scare the neighbors, maybe it’s my favorite......

Like I said, my favorite Spyderco is in this pic, I just can’t decide for the life of me which one it is.

Clusterfrack
05-03-2020, 04:18 PM
Has anyone tried a deep-carry clip for the PM3? As shipped, here's a lot of grip sticking out, relative to the size of the knife.

https://mxggear.com/products/custom-made-titanium-deep-carry-pocket-clip-for-spyderco-para-3
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0908/5942/products/IMG_9209_b071e823-314a-410b-a33a-c83a066354a2_large.jpg

Jared
05-03-2020, 04:23 PM
Has anyone tried a deep-carry clip for the PM3? As shipped, here's a lot of grip sticking out, relative to the size of the knife.

https://mxggear.com/products/custom-made-titanium-deep-carry-pocket-clip-for-spyderco-para-3
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0908/5942/products/IMG_9209_b071e823-314a-410b-a33a-c83a066354a2_large.jpg

I have not. However, Lynch Northwest makes one for the Para 3 that doesn’t partially block the lanyard hole that people absolutely rave about.

Norville
05-03-2020, 06:16 PM
I haven’t tried that one, but the idea is solid. This is an EBay score from a few years ago on my carry Yo2. I showed it to a Eric G, he said “not bad”.

Irelander
05-03-2020, 06:47 PM
Ulize
My first Spyderco. Admired much, carried little.

5pins
05-03-2020, 07:17 PM

This one will be going on my Para 3 as soon as I find my Torx bit. I like them much better than the factory clip.

javemtr
05-03-2020, 11:18 PM
Yes, I have the Lynch clips on my Para 3s, it's a necessary upgrade, the stock clip position sucks. Go with the Lynch clips, he's a solid dude worth supporting.
https://www.lynchnw.com/clips/lynchnw-spyderco-para3-deep-carry-clip

757_Magnum
05-04-2020, 12:21 AM
I wouldn't say I'm a fanboy, but Spydies are my go to brand for folders. I've pretty much narrowed it down to Para 3s and Delicas. My current EDC is a Para 3 in carbon fiber with a 52100 blade. A Lynch clip was added later. I should've picked up a second while they were still available.

Duelist
05-04-2020, 03:26 AM
Yes, I have the Lynch clips on my Para 3s, it's a necessary upgrade, the stock clip position sucks. Go with the Lynch clips, he's a solid dude worth supporting.
https://www.lynchnw.com/clips/lynchnw-spyderco-para3-deep-carry-clip

Those look really nice!

I’ve tried a couple of aftermarket clips in the past, and was disappointed. Lynch clips look a lot better, and I’ll probably be purchasing at least a couple of them.

javemtr
05-04-2020, 04:47 AM
Other important things to add:
- Lynch designed this style of clip first and only later did MXG magically start selling the same design.
- Lynch clips are made in the USA. No mention of place of manufacture for MXG, so you decide what that may mean.

5pins
05-04-2020, 06:14 AM

vcdgrips
05-04-2020, 04:00 PM
What Torx sizes do we need to be planning for and what driver sets do we like?

A bit of research on Amazon etc. yields Chapman (Made in USA), Tekton (Made in Taiwan), Wiha (most made in Germany) and a slew of chinese one to include the iFixit brand which reviews very well.

MK11
05-04-2020, 04:06 PM
l-r: Jess Horn lightweight, one of first folders I ever bought; Delica with clip set up for left-hand carry (took a few snubby classes from Michael deBethencourt, he was big on snubby in the strong-side pocket with folder on the offside); Endura; Perrin Street Bowie.

blues
05-04-2020, 04:18 PM
What Torx sizes do we need to be planning for and what driver sets do we like?

A bit of research on Amazon etc. yields Chapman (Made in USA), Tekton (Made in Taiwan), Wiha (most made in Germany) and a slew of chinese one to include the iFixit brand which reviews very well.

In general, T6 to T10. T6 for pocket clips. I have Wiha, Craftsman and bits from Lee Valley Tools. They all work fine.

Crawls
05-04-2020, 04:28 PM

That Pygmy Warrior looks brutal.
Love it.

joshs
05-04-2020, 04:37 PM
I've gotten rid of pretty much every "modern" (not a slip joint or friction folder) pocket knife that I own except for a few Delicas and a Dragonfly Salt. For me, the Delica is the perfect folder. I am tempted by the new Siren, but I never have really have rust issues with with a Delica.

Jared
05-04-2020, 07:36 PM

Here’s a pair that I like but wish I’d purchased different models. I wish I’d bought the Endura with the Emerson Wave. The Endura is just a little long for me to consistently and easily make a smooth presentation. My thumb just doesn’t end up in the right spot for fidget free opening about half the time. I think a waved Endura would be a lot more convenient for times when my left hand is occupied and I need to open the knife one handed. Other than that though, I really do like the Endura for a larger folder. It carries surprisingly well in spite of its length.

The Dragonfly is the one that goes on every single trip with me. I don’t clip it, just drop it in my left pocket. It’s the one I get out in public to open packages or things like that. I love that nobody really flinches when they see the Dragonfly. My only regret with it is that I wish I’d spent the extra $25 for the ZPD-189 model. As many letters and Amazon packages and things like that as it’s cut, the steel upgrade probably would have saved a few trips to the Sharpmaker.

Duelist
05-04-2020, 09:19 PM

Here’s a pair that I like but wish I’d purchased different models. I wish I’d bought the Endura with the Emerson Wave. The Endura is just a little long for me to consistently and easily make a smooth presentation. My thumb just doesn’t end up in the right spot for fidget free opening about half the time. I think a waved Endura would be a lot more convenient for times when my left hand is occupied and I need to open the knife one handed. Other than that though, I really do like the Endura for a larger folder. It carries surprisingly well in spite of its length.

The Dragonfly is the one that goes on every single trip with me. I don’t clip it, just drop it in my left pocket. It’s the one I get out in public to open packages or things like that. I love that nobody really flinches when they see the Dragonfly. My only regret with it is that I wish I’d spent the extra $25 for the ZPD-189 model. As many letters and Amazon packages and things like that as it’s cut, the steel upgrade probably would have saved a few trips to the Sharpmaker.

My wife has had a VG-10 Dragonfly in her purse for the past year or so. I have sharpened it exactly once, and just checked it, it was covered in packing tape glue and fruit guts (eew) but was still as sharp as the last time I looked at it. I don’t think the ZDP blade would give that little bugger much of a performance enhancement. It’s not really a high-impact tool.

It’s clean now, LOL.

DamonL
05-04-2020, 09:28 PM
Duelist

My EDC and favorite knife is the Manix 2 for all the same reasons you like them. I want to point out that the Manix 2 uses a ball bearing lock and not the Axis lock that you mentioned earlier. The Axis lock is a Benchmade design used on their knives.

Duelist
05-04-2020, 09:37 PM
Duelist

My EDC and favorite knife is the Manix 2 for all the same reasons you like them. I want to point out that the Manix 2 uses a ball bearing lock and not the Axis lock that you mentioned earlier. The Axis lock is a Benchmade design used on their knives.

Huh. I thought they were the same,

JAD
05-04-2020, 09:40 PM
A beloved and well worn Wenger that doesn’t come out of the box anymore; my third waved Endura, having lost one and gifted one; a waved Delica; a waved Dragonfly; a PM; a PM2 waved that shipped today; and a Terzoula starmate. I’ve lost twice that including a Cricket I carried for decades. I am a decided fanboy, despite what’s in my pocket right now. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200505/7c567fc6dc0e7b62acea744ebc049a71.jpg

Which is also around 20 years old.

DamonL
05-05-2020, 06:38 AM
Huh. I thought they were the same,

They work the same way by pushing a metal piece into a notch in the blade to lock. The axis uses a cylinder shaped metal piece with two omega shaped springs on either end to push it forward. The Spyderco uses a ball bearing in a plastic cage pushed forward by a coil spring.

Axis lock:

http://www.dougritter.com/pop_up_axis_lock.htm

Ball Bearing lock:

https://www.spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/knife-anatomy/locking-mechanisms/

DamonL
05-05-2020, 08:52 AM
They work the same way by pushing a metal piece into a notch in the blade to lock. The axis uses a cylinder shaped metal piece with two omega shaped springs on either end to push it forward. The Spyderco uses a ball bearing in a plastic cage pushed forward by a coil spring.

Axis lock:

http://www.dougritter.com/pop_up_axis_lock.htm

Ball Bearing lock:

https://www.spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/knife-anatomy/locking-mechanisms/

Here is a better article on the ball bearing lock:

https://blademag.com/knife-collecting/ball-bearing-lock-secures-2-pieces-into-1

5pins
05-05-2020, 06:08 PM
Forget about the Yojimbo. How about the Yojumbo!

RJ
05-06-2020, 08:37 AM
Haven't been carrying my Spyderco DragonFly 2 lately. I lost the wire clip off of it; apparently I hadn't checked the tightness of the attachment screw, and it fell out. (it is also possible that someone has been taking my knife off the dresser where it belongs, and unknown to me, putting it in my pants just before it goes through the washing machine. If I find out who is doing that, I'll give them what for.:)

I emailed the Customer Service dept and got a courteous prompt reply that I could call or fax or email an order for a new clip kit ($3.95) plus shipping. I called and gave them my credit card and a new clip kit is on the way to me.

I was going to use some Blue loc-tite this time; is there any particular reason not to on these knives? I mean I use the blue on Glock front sights, and it seems to work for me.

newyork
05-06-2020, 10:20 PM
Not sure if you’ve all seen this. Figured I’d post it.
2020 releases.
https://youtu.be/FH4Reaq3St0

Clusterfrack
05-06-2020, 10:37 PM
2020 releases.

I like this:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200507/0c9b8e0fd8cba06a21f1363736af74ab.jpg

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C255CM/SpyOpera/1877

newyork
05-06-2020, 10:39 PM
That’s a cool little one.

newyork
05-06-2020, 10:40 PM
I’m really late to the Shaman party but man that looks like a great job site beast that still cuts well.

mrozowjj
05-08-2020, 08:07 PM
I love Spydercos so damn much. The compression lock is fantastic design and works exceptionally well. I love the spyder-hole vs just about any other opening method, it's low profile, works better with gloved hands on than any other method. Sometimes it makes the blade a little tall but it always works.

This isn't even all my Spydercos this is just my only all black ones:

https://i.imgur.com/LgeY9Cl.jpg

Joe45
05-09-2020, 07:22 AM
Here's a few.... https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200509/3209fcf33f564d6bc1354bc4da462780.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

rob_s
05-09-2020, 07:45 AM
2020 releases.

It’s 2020 PF. There’s no damn reason not to embed the video! :cool: :p :o

newyork
05-09-2020, 07:49 AM
Job well done Rob

rob_s
05-09-2020, 07:50 AM
I like this:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200507/0c9b8e0fd8cba06a21f1363736af74ab.jpg

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C255CM/SpyOpera/1877

I like that too. But...

I wonder, is the new contrarian-hipsterism going to be frame locks?

We did lock back better than no lock. Then mid lock better than lock back. Then liner lock better than mid lock. Then Frame lock better than liner lock. Then ball/axis lock better than frame lock... at every step of the way there’s been sumdood that proclaims that the style two versions back was actually the better one, and all the contrarians rush to it.

Have we now gone so full circle that we are back to midlocks being the cool thing? I think I saw somewhere that lockless pen knives are where it’s at too...

blues
05-09-2020, 08:07 AM
What's with this silly obsession with knives?

;)

newyork
05-09-2020, 08:09 AM
They offer new knives that are popular in all of those lock configurations that you mentioned. They also have hugely popular knives in all lock configurations. So idk, doesn’t seem to be one lock that much more “in style” than the others but I’m not sure.

Half Moon
05-09-2020, 08:54 AM
Recent anniversary gift from my wife, a Delica Damascus:

And alongside it, our first firearm purchase as a couple, an engraved 640-1. I'd like to say it was a well considered and planned purchase but... it was an impulse buy. She fell in love with the engraving and rose on the grips when we saw it at a gun show and who doesn't buy flowers for their girlfriend... :-)

Clusterfrack
05-09-2020, 10:25 AM
I like that too. But...

I wonder, is the new contrarian-hipsterism going to be frame locks?

We did lock back better than no lock. Then mid lock better than lock back. Then liner lock better than mid lock. Then Frame lock better than liner lock. Then ball/axis lock better than frame lock... at every step of the way there’s been sumdood that proclaims that the style two versions back was actually the better one, and all the contrarians rush to it.

Have we now gone so full circle that we are back to midlocks being the cool thing? I think I saw somewhere that lockless pen knives are where it’s at too...

I'm not sure, but I think the key to hipsterism involves pretending not to care about buying the hipster thing, while secretly spending every waking hour doing just that. So I think you're good to go.

blues
05-09-2020, 10:29 AM
I'm not sure, but I think the key to hipsterism involves pretending not to care about buying the hipster thing, while secretly spending every waking hour doing just that. So I think you're good to go.

Frack, tell me why I need a YoJumbo...(I don't have a Yojimbo)

Clusterfrack
05-09-2020, 10:46 AM
Frack, tell me why I need a YoJumbo...(I don't have a Yojimbo)

The fuck? Are you ok blues? I'm worried about you man. This is not normal behavior for you, since you have like 10000 knives that you don't need.

Ok, I'll play.

The Yojimbo is a fighting folder designed for a conventional tip-up/edge-out grip*, and really excels for that style of use. It has a 3" Wharncliffe blade with a very thin tip, due to the hollow grind. Because of that thin tip, it's not a hard use knife. It wouldn't take much to bend or break that x-acto like tip.

The YoJUMBO (https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C253G/1883) is new, and I haven't had one in hand. It appears to be a 4" version of the Yojimbo. While a 4" blade IMO is pushing it for edge-in use, it's totally viable for edge-out where you can have a freaking sword and be just fine.

So you should get a YoJumbo if you want a pocket sword, or if you just "need" a cool looking Spyderco.

* I use mine (the trainer, that is) primarily tip-up/edge-in, and sometimes tip-down/edge-in. It's ok in that role, but I do wish it had a more symmetric grip.

blues
05-09-2020, 10:59 AM
The fuck? Are you ok blues? I'm worried about you man. This is not normal behavior for you, since you have like 10000 knives that you don't need...

Not being a knife fighter, (but having been involved once or twice with others who were wielding), it's never been a priority for me. I'm more of an impact (sap) sorta guy, followed by something that goes boom. (Leaving pepper spray out of the discussion for the moment.)

But yeah, I need to seek absolution and do penance for my sins. Still not sure if I'm going down that road, (with one or the other of the Yo's), but time will tell.

I do have my eye on the micarta handled Shaman with Z-Wear. I already have one with M4 that I picked up on the exchange at bladeforums a while back.

newyork
05-09-2020, 11:04 AM
The Shaman interests me as a work knife but seems huge.

Clusterfrack
05-09-2020, 11:07 AM
My 99lb daughter isn’t a knife fighter either, but I’ve given her two Spydercos and some basic instruction so she has a fighting chance if someone 2-3 times her size is on top of her. Sometimes a situation is so grim that there’s no other viable option than to start cutting your way out of it.

On a more cheerful note, the Yojimbo is a really cool knife. I’m not convinced that it needs a larger version though.

blues
05-09-2020, 11:14 AM

Not huge, but not small. I tend to like larger knives, but I'm in a lifestyle and location where they wouldn't be out of place.

blues
05-09-2020, 11:16 AM
My 99lb daughter isn’t a knife fighter either, but I’ve given her two Spydercos and some basic instruction so she has a fighting chance if someone 2-3 times her size is on top of her. Sometimes a situation is so grim that there’s no other viable option than to start cutting your way out of it.

On a more cheerful note, the Yojimbo is a really cool knife. I’m not convinced that it needs a larger version though.

I do have Shivworks Push Dagger...which Craig was kind enough to send me. Upgraded to a DSG sheath.

newyork
05-09-2020, 11:21 AM
Not huge, but not small. I tend to like larger knives, but I'm in a lifestyle and location where they wouldn't be out of place.

How does she slice compared to the Manix or similar. I imagine it’s not the laser a military or PM2 is but still sliced exceedingly well

JodyH
05-09-2020, 11:22 AM
Spyderco Nilakka w/custom mesquite scales

Clusterfrack
05-09-2020, 11:23 AM
* I use mine (the trainer, that is) primarily tip-up/edge-in, and sometimes tip-down/edge-in. It's ok in that role, but I do wish it had a more symmetric grip.

It’s pretty nice TU/EI...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200509/b482bbc9e4a25bb68ea7b4fe7cbc0c54.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200509/36957462bc68cf80aba0de855d2555a1.jpg

Clusterfrack
05-09-2020, 11:24 AM

I was just thinking there should be a Spyderco kwaiken

LittleLebowski
05-09-2020, 11:32 AM

Where did you get those scales?

blues
05-09-2020, 11:32 AM
How does she slice compared to the Manix or similar. I imagine it’s not the laser a military or PM2 is but still sliced exceedingly well

The grind is different due to the flat. The stock on the PM2 is actually the same or slightly thicker. But, the Manix 2 and PM2 will still out slice it. It does have a more robust tip and build. So, it just depends on what you want / need. It's still a cutter. Sails through phone book paper.

JodyH
05-09-2020, 11:38 AM
Where did you get those scales?

Steve Ketchen (https://www.instagram.com/spketch/) made them for me back in 2015.

newyork
05-09-2020, 11:50 AM
The grind is different due to the flat. The stock on the PM2 is actually the same or slightly thicker. But, the Manix 2 and PM2 will still out slice it. It does have a more robust tip and build. So, it just depends on what you want / need. It's still a cutter. Sails through phone book paper.

Sounds like a good work knife to me. Good balance.

Navin Johnson
05-09-2020, 11:56 AM

And heavy...If it matters.....I carry IWB in athletic gear a lot....

A Stretch is a really good balance of size and weight and toughness and cutting ability with a robust tip.

blues
05-09-2020, 12:00 PM
And heavy...If it matters.....I carry IWB in athletic gear a lot....

That's when I prefer a neck knife. I don't like to wear knives clipped to my shorts or sweats. Just personal preference. (Though I'll wear my 642 that way, and O.C. spray.)

This one is from Darrel Ralph...S90V, micarta handles.

Navin Johnson
05-09-2020, 12:05 PM
For you "Yo" peeps Endura, Delica and Rock Jumper wharncliffe should not be overlooked.

Janich suggests one of the Delicas backpocket no clip.

Navin Johnson
05-09-2020, 12:12 PM
That's when I prefer a neck knife. I don't like to wear knives clipped to my shorts or sweats. Just personal preference. (Though I'll wear my 642 that way, and O.C. spray.)

This one is from Darrel Ralph...S90V, micarta handles.

Fixed blades not Kosh in my hood....Still likely getting a new Swick....

Cary a Delica with neck sheath for bike riding and exercising.....

Going to get a neck sheath and also horizontal belt sheath to carry a Delica OPEN....even open it is still a folder.

Blades
05-09-2020, 02:59 PM
Forget about the Yojimbo. How about the Yojumbo!

Holy 4 inches Batman!

How did I miss this post?! Oh, I like the YoJumbo. It will go well with my Military(CPM-M4 steel). One for daily use, one for emergencies. :) Too many knives, not enough pockets.

newyork
05-09-2020, 03:40 PM
Carrying a Native 5 lately

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fly out
05-09-2020, 04:43 PM

The Firefly is probably my favorite Spyderco, but I don't carry it all that often because it rides so high.

(Actually, the santoku is probably my favorite Spyderco, but that's not really suitable for carry, at all.)

Totem Polar
05-09-2020, 07:28 PM
I'm almost embarrassed to post, because this phone pic is so lame. However, I have to fess up to fanboy status, since I recognize every. single. spyderco on this thread--except for the new one with the canvas micarta scales, and the P-F orange thing, above. I still have my second one--it's a '91 or so, a Delica, with the original molded-in clip that broke off if you looked at it; pic, far left. The others are a few of the weird ones from the back of the safe. From left: Shabaria sprint with grey G10, Lil' Matriarch plain edge/blue from the Bento Box, and the Civilian. I've got some others around here; Jess Horn, Native gen 1, etc. etc., as well as a couple of the Delicas hacked into the original support-side/LH iterations by Eric Remmen--who I took seminar with. A lot of these round hole blades have come and gone over the years. Anyhoo...

Totem Polar
05-09-2020, 07:30 PM
PS... Remmen mod

Totem Polar
05-09-2020, 07:32 PM
One more. Ulize; Street beat:

Blades
05-09-2020, 07:37 PM
PS... Remmen mod

Remmen is why I started carrying a left and right Spyderco.

Exiledviking
05-10-2020, 01:33 AM
One more. Ulize; Street beat:I wish I had kept the Ulize I had a few years ago. A cool knife.

BluGrass
05-10-2020, 08:41 AM
My only Spyderco at the moment but carry it everyday for a good 2 years now

Manix 2 XLhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200510/8119248f074d80d8767b0d1d63b824bb.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200510/58ff020dcf4bdf6a1753f3462154efde.jpg
And yes that is an ESEE 4!

5pins
05-10-2020, 02:50 PM
After trying the Para 3 for a week I think I'm going to go back to the PM 2. Carrying it reaffirmed my feeling that it was too small for me.

Clusterfrack
05-10-2020, 02:58 PM
After trying the Para 3 for a week I think I'm going to go back to the PM 2. Carrying it reaffirmed my feeling that it was too small for me.

The PM3 seems like it has a large handle:blade ratio.

newyork
05-10-2020, 03:24 PM
I find myself wanting a nasty super slicer Spyderco because I’m spoiled by their incredible edges. Then realize it’s not so great at construction sites. Fragile tips and thin edges. Hence me looking at a manix and shaman instead of a pm2, military or watu. That molecule slicing sharpness is addictive and hard to not pick.

My heart wants a Watu, PM2 or some other super slicer. My job wants a shaman or manix.

blues
05-10-2020, 03:33 PM
I find myself wanting a nasty super slicer Spyderco because I’m spoiled by their incredible edges. Then realize it’s not so great at construction sites. Fragile tips and thin edges. Hence me looking at a manix and shaman instead of a pm2, military or watu. That molecule slicing sharpness is addictive and hard to not pick.

My heart wants a Watu, PM2 or some other super slicer. My job wants a shaman or manix.

NY, the Manix 2 is actually thinner stock than the PM2, though the leaf shaped blade may be slightly less vulnerable at the tip. I can't quantify that, however.

The Manix 2 has a heavier duty frame, though. What that adds, I'm not certain.

So, I think if robust build and perhaps more durability at the tip of the blade is more important, I'd go Shaman. Just my opinion.

5pins
05-10-2020, 05:38 PM

It's not a huge difference but noticable for me.

Wyoming Shooter
05-10-2020, 08:21 PM

Genzo HatchetHawk
Yojimbo 2
Ronin 2
PM 2

Spyderco makes good stuff, at good prices. The Yojimbo gets the most use. All are very sharp. The HatchetHawk compels me to grow a beard and pillage something.

Navin Johnson
05-10-2020, 09:00 PM

It sort of does but the handle is far more important than the blade length.... Even a two or so inch blade with a usable handle is far better than a 3-in blade with a small s***** handle.

Spyderco designs a lot of its blade lengths to fit into jurisdictional laws.

Janich carved a number of paramilitaries into two and a half inch blades for federal buildings and for Chicago laws..... Still have a large usable handle that gives you a lot of leverage

Many people complain that the delica needs a bigger blade because of the handle....... However then you would take a knife with a great usable handle and move it up a size that would make it illegal in many places.

I have a PM3 and even if blade lengths were only allowed to be 3 inches here ......hard pass...... It's now a car knife or garage knife.

if I lived in a 3-in jurisdiction I would likely take an endura and carve the blades down to 3 in..... Way better handle with gloves etc than a Delica.

newyork
05-11-2020, 09:03 AM
NY, the Manix 2 is actually thinner stock than the PM2, though the leaf shaped blade may be slightly less vulnerable at the tip. I can't quantify that, however.

The Manix 2 has a heavier duty frame, though. What that adds, I'm not certain.

So, I think if robust build and perhaps more durability at the tip of the blade is more important, I'd go Shaman. Just my opinion.

What about the Manix 2 XL vs the Shaman? Tips, edge etc

blues
05-11-2020, 09:10 AM
What about the Manix 2 XL vs the Shaman? Tips, edge etc

I only own one Manix 2 (52100) so I have no frame of reference.

23JAZ
05-11-2020, 06:29 PM
My current favorite and EDC.

Clusterfrack
05-11-2020, 06:39 PM
I like the Spock. Very cool knife. I kind of want one.

newyork
05-11-2020, 07:14 PM
This is a great one I’ve used a lot and somehow forget I have from time to time. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200512/03dd984615622e41aedbfff922c1c040.jpg

parishioner
05-13-2020, 03:51 PM
Spyderco Lil Native that I’ve carried daily the last 1.5yrs. Pretty stout little blade and I love the compression lock.

I tend to like smaller knives since I don’t do too much with them and thanks to this thread I have a Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189 en route for better slicing capability.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200513/8a5dacfb1a3ad375f626f177b6d0da02.jpg

Guerrero
05-13-2020, 04:06 PM
I like the Spock. Very cool knife. I kind of want one.

Illogical

I carry the DF2 ZDP-189 daily, and I have a PM2 in my emergency bag in the car. I love both.

I carried a Native 5 FRN for a while, and I really like it (I think it's better than the Para 3), but I just couldn't find a good role for it.

newyork
05-13-2020, 04:17 PM
Damn it all you guys got me wanting a new Spyderco but idk which I want. I’d love a Gayle Bradley 2 but no one has one.

blues
05-13-2020, 04:21 PM
Damn it all you guys got me wanting a new Spyderco but idk which I want. I’d love a Gayle Bradley 2 but no one has one.

newyork

https://www.opticsplanet.com/spyderco-bradley-folder-2-cf-g-10-laminate-plain-edge-folding-knife.html

newyork
05-13-2020, 04:24 PM
Ships in 3-5 months

blues
05-13-2020, 04:38 PM
Ships in 3-5 months

Missed that little fact when I saw that you could put one in the cart. Raced back to tell you too fast.

Anyway, now you can wait and buy one made here in the U.S. of A.

newyork
05-13-2020, 04:44 PM
I’ll wait until they are out again. Pretty great they’ll be back.

I emailed Spyderco and they said they had no definitive dates yet FYI

For now...

3.25-3.75” blade
G10
Maybe $150
Slicy enough but decent reinforced but sharp tip.
Plain edge. I’ll leave serrated to the Pacific Salt.

blues
05-13-2020, 04:52 PM

For now...

3.25-3.75” blade
G10
Maybe $150

Few bucks more...but...maybe worth it for the blade shape and interesting build:

https://www.nationalknives.com/spyderco-smock-c240cfp-folding-knife-plain-edge-blade-black-carbon-fiber-and-g-10-laminate-handle/

https://cdn10.bigcommerce.com/s-4zahyhmy/products/2729/images/16076/Spyderco_Smock_C240CFP_Folding_Knife_S30V_Plain_Ed ge_Blade_Carbon_Fiber_G-10_Handle_1__00428.1555952864.1280.1280.png?c=2

newyork
05-13-2020, 05:24 PM
Meh to the Smock. Would be fun to flip but I don’t like bearings so much. Prefer regular washers. Weird Choil and blade shape as well.

blues
05-13-2020, 05:31 PM
Meh to the Smock. Would be fun to flip but I don’t like bearings so much. Prefer regular washers. Weird Choil and blade shape as well.

I still think a Shaman would be a good knife for you, as I originally stated. But I think the S30V version is $200

newyork
05-13-2020, 05:35 PM
I still think a Shaman would be a good knife for you, as I originally stated. But I think the S30V version is $200

Yeah. $202. It’d be great. I’ll think on it.

Navin Johnson
05-13-2020, 06:00 PM

I emailed Spyderco and they said they had no definitive dates yet FYI

For now...

3.25-3.75” blade
G10
Maybe $150

Manix, PM2, Stretch2 or am I missing something?

newyork
05-13-2020, 08:15 PM
Not a Spydie but the Benchmade M4 Super Freek looks great

Blades
05-13-2020, 08:25 PM
Not a Spydie but the Benchmade M4 Super Freek looks great

:)

newyork
05-13-2020, 08:32 PM
Haha! Fair enough. I haven’t owned BM knives in many many years and mostly buy Spyderco FTW.

parishioner
05-13-2020, 09:15 PM
Timely.

Just got a 20% off coupon code today for spydercos at gandrtactical.com

https://www.gandrtactical.com/Spyderco_bymfg_68-4-1.html?utm_source=GRTactical+Master+Newsletter+Lis t&utm_campaign=880944a390-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_12182017_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_879eb7cec2-880944a390-57849859&mc_cid=880944a390&mc_eid=1dff2ab66e

Code: KNIVES20

Duelist
05-13-2020, 10:48 PM
Few bucks more...but...maybe worth it for the blade shape and interesting build:

https://www.nationalknives.com/spyderco-smock-c240cfp-folding-knife-plain-edge-blade-black-carbon-fiber-and-g-10-laminate-handle/

https://cdn10.bigcommerce.com/s-4zahyhmy/products/2729/images/16076/Spyderco_Smock_C240CFP_Folding_Knife_S30V_Plain_Ed ge_Blade_Carbon_Fiber_G-10_Handle_1__00428.1555952864.1280.1280.png?c=2

Very cool look. But I do not like hollow ground pocket knives, so I am safe from the Smock.

Actually, there are only a few applications where I like a hollow grind at all, straight razors being one.

blues
05-13-2020, 11:00 PM
Very cool look. But I do not like hollow ground pocket knives, so I am safe from the Smock.

Actually, there are only a few applications where I like a hollow grind at all, straight razors being one.

I don't own one. I thought it might be a good fit for newyork.

newyork
05-14-2020, 05:30 AM
Timely.

https://www.gandrtactical.com/Spyderco_bymfg_68-4-1.html?utm_source=GRTactical+Master+Newsletter+Lis t&utm_campaign=880944a390-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_12182017_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_879eb7cec2-880944a390-57849859&mc_cid=880944a390&mc_eid=1dff2ab66e

This makes a Manix, Para 2 or an all black Shaman much more attractive

rob_s
05-14-2020, 07:24 AM

That thing looks cool as hell. What’s the button do? I thought for a minute it might be an auto but I don’t think it is...

ETA: now I see. I like that idea.
The Smock’s most unique feature, however, is the button release on its high-strength Compression Lock mechanism, which allows the knife to be safely and easily closed without placing your fingers near the blade’s edge. Slim, innovative and distinctly different, the Smock truly reflects Kevin Smock's unique approach to knifemaking.

5pins
05-14-2020, 07:25 AM
Timely.

Damn that's hard to resists.

Says the code is valid until the end of the year.

newyork
05-14-2020, 07:36 AM
That thing looks cool as hell. What’s the button do? I thought for a minute it might be an auto but I don’t think it is...

ETA: now I see. I like that idea.
The Smock’s most unique feature, however, is the button release on its high-strength Compression Lock mechanism, which allows the knife to be safely and easily closed without placing your fingers near the blade’s edge. Slim, innovative and distinctly different, the Smock truly reflects Kevin Smock's unique approach to knifemaking.

It runs on bearings so it’ll have smoother action. But the the bearings will gum up much easier than washers. So it’ll slow down and probably even become hard to open without being blown out well. Not a big deal but annoying. I’ve had a good amount of bearing knives and stopped buying them.

The lock button is cool. Blade looks slicey. I don’t love the weird little Choil that exists to make room for the lock.

newyork
05-14-2020, 05:26 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200514/2785e58d7f018fdfe345a7b593f4f5f6.plist

Mitch
05-14-2020, 05:39 PM

My two. A delica and a p’kal. Getting the trainer for the p’kal next.

Duelist
05-14-2020, 05:55 PM

Good pair!

Totem Polar
05-14-2020, 06:03 PM

Righty, lefty; stabby, clefty...

pangloss
05-14-2020, 08:12 PM
This makes a Manix, Para 2 or an all black Shaman much more attractive

I used to have a Manix 2 and I just got a Para 3 today, so it sounds like I like slightly smaller knives than you do. Based on what you posted earlier, I was going to suggest a Manix 2, but maybe the Manix would suit your tastes more. I think I like the lock more on the Manix 2 than the Para 3, but it's early yet.

newyork
05-14-2020, 10:08 PM
I’m hovering around Manix or Manix 2 XL as far as Spyderco goes. Something about the XL that draws me in. Probably a silly choice as it’s pretty dang big.

TheRoland
05-16-2020, 05:04 PM
What do we think about the blue S110V Spydercos? Worth the extra few bucks? Does the difference in steel make a big difference?

Will it make women want me, and men want to be me?

blues
05-16-2020, 05:22 PM
What do we think about the blue S110V Spydercos? Worth the extra few bucks? Does the difference in steel make a big difference?

It'll cut like a bastard...but it's not a steel known for its toughness. So if you abuse it, you may end up with some minor chips to be sharpened out.

Women will fawn over you because you have excellent taste, and they dig purple.

Will you notice a difference? You will if you are doing protracted cutting. The edge will last a lot longer than some other steels because of the high percentage of vanadium carbides. It will also be somewhat more work to sharpen...so diamond hones are recommended to make the task easier.

blues
05-16-2020, 05:29 PM
TheRoland

Look at this chart to see the relative cutting power of one steel vs another. Concern yourself with the rightmost two columns. Rockwell hardness and Total amount of the medium cut.

This chart does not measure toughness. Only the relative cutting performance. You'll see 110V is right up there with h the big boys.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wJ4zp3V_r2qWW2BWSItfJrPRZS7v_8iImv8TrU1KOl0/edit#gid=0

Also, check out this review. Worth the read!

https://knifeinformer.com/spyderco-military-s110v-review/

Navin Johnson
05-18-2020, 09:36 PM

The main reason I haven't bought one is because of the color.

S110V will hold a working edge for a long time but a super sharp edge for not much better than S30V...... And S30V does not hold a super sharp edge for very long.

It is not terrible to sharpen it just takes longer..... The trade off is you get a knife that will cut longer.

Navin Johnson
05-18-2020, 09:43 PM
TheRoland

Look at this chart to see the relative cutting power of one steel vs another. Concern yourself with the rightmost two columns. Rockwell hardness and Total amount of the medium cut.

This chart does not measure toughness. Only the relative cutting performance. You'll see 110V is right up there with h the big boys.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wJ4zp3V_r2qWW2BWSItfJrPRZS7v_8iImv8TrU1KOl0/edit#gid=0

One of the problems with edge retention tests is how much pressure is allowed to be used.

For instance cutting rope......and if you're allowed to keep cutting as long as the pressure is no more than 20 lb as an example some steels can go forever. What happens if you change that to 7 lb or 4 lb or 40 lb? This would create massively different outcomes.

I understand 20 lb is reasonable and I also understand that 110V can cut for a really long time at that level but it is an arbitrary number. For a working knife it's great. For a personal carry knife it doesn't hold a sharp edge long enough and takes more effort to get back to it. FOR ME.

Navin Johnson
05-18-2020, 09:45 PM
Just FYI I really like ZDP 189 as it holds a sharp edge for a really long time. Understanding it's my definition of sharp. 😉

blues
05-18-2020, 09:56 PM
One of the problems with edge retention tests is how much pressure is allowed to be used.

For instance cutting rope......and if you're allowed to keep cutting as long as the pressure is no more than 20 lb as an example some steels can go forever. What happens if you change that to 7 lb or 4 lb or 40 lb? This would create massively different outcomes.

I understand 20 lb is reasonable and I also understand that 110V can cut for a really long time at that level but it is an arbitrary number. For a working knife it's great. For a personal carry knife it doesn't hold a sharp edge long enough and takes more effort to get back to it. FOR ME.

You can read the actual material, methodology and data here:

https://knifesteelnerds.com/2020/05/01/testing-the-edge-retention-of-48-knife-steels/

I've had ZDP-189 for a long time. Good stuff. Murray Carter was one of the first smiths to work with it, or at least popularize it as I recall.

Chuck Whitlock
05-20-2020, 04:38 PM
TheRoland

Damn, I feel old. I remember when 440C was a standard and 154CM was the shit.

blues
05-20-2020, 04:40 PM

I remember those days. They weren't even that long ago. 90's.

Chuck Whitlock
05-20-2020, 04:45 PM
I remember those days. They weren't even that long ago. 90's.

Yeah. Proof that you evolve or stagnate. Anything beyond that is far, far out of my lane.

41magfan
05-20-2020, 04:52 PM

Yea, me too. However, I am continually amused at all the derp that prevails regarding the merits of various knife steels by people who have never (outside of their fantasies) used a knife for anything but opening a box or a piece of mail.

blues
05-20-2020, 04:56 PM
Yea, me too. However, I am continually amused at all the derp that prevails regarding the merits of various knife steels by people who have never (outside of their fantasies) used a knife for anything but opening a box or a piece of mail.

Chain mail is tough stuff. ;)

(Truth is, we can say the same thing about most gun "aficionados". I guess the old saw "beware the man with one gun" has some basis in reality.)

It's one thing to collect 'em because you like 'em and appreciate 'em, it's another thing to put any tool to hard use.

Joe S
05-20-2020, 07:05 PM

Hell, before we even made the 154CM, and it was ATS-34 out of Japan.

blues
05-20-2020, 07:10 PM
Kit Carson loved 440C and D2 back in the day. If it was good enough for Kit, it was good enough.

Duelist
05-20-2020, 07:15 PM
dad still forges 52100.

I've used a lot of different steels, but they are mostly high carbon tool steels like O1, 1095, 52100, and stuff like that. 440C was a big deal and pissed the old man off that I'd wasted the money to buy the bar of steel.

Made a darn good knife, though, and traded a guy for a muzzleloading rifle for it.

Haven't forged anything in years, now. Ought to get back to it.

blues
05-20-2020, 07:21 PM
dad still forges 52100.

I've used a lot of different steels, but they are mostly high carbon tool steels like O1, 1095, 52100, and stuff like that. 440C was a big deal and pissed the old man off that I'd wasted the money to buy the bar of steel.

Made a darn good knife, though, and traded a guy for a muzzleloading rifle for it.

Haven't forged anything in years, now. Ought to get back to it.

Duelist, would I know your dad? Hit me up via PM if you think I might.

I love me some forged 52100. Have some nice pieces by Rick Dunkerley, Dan Farr, Ray Kirk, (all ABS master smiths), and some others. Ed Fowler can take a lot of credit for its popularity over the past few decades.

I just sold a forged wootz piece by Al Pendray this past week.

Joe S
05-21-2020, 08:20 AM
Kit Carson loved 440C and D2 back in the day. If it was good enough for Kit, it was good enough.

What was interesting even 20-30 years ago was that what we had, we had, and that was it. A lot of fine craftsmen learned how to wring everything they could out of a steel in its heat treat.

Nothing wrong with 440C that's properly done. I still think D2 is a tremendously underrated steel.

5pins
05-21-2020, 03:38 PM
I remember when ATS-34 was the bomb.

blues
05-21-2020, 04:32 PM
When it comes to steel, as in most things in life, you have to give something up to get something.

If you want toughness, you give up edge stability or edge retention. If you want stainless, you give up toughness. If you want tough and edge retention, you give up corrosion resistance.

It really comes down to what you want or what you need and frankly, most guys buying the knives don't need anything special, and that includes me.

That said, I don't mind maintaining my knives, so oxidation isn't my biggest worry. I like steels like 3V, CPM Cru-Wear, and M4 for a nice balance of toughness and edge retention. I haven't tried 4V yet, but it's been a hot steel lately. Relatively tough, high Rockwell, and good edge retention.

It's a chimera.

Wingate's Hairbrush
05-21-2020, 06:27 PM

The lock button is cool. Blade looks slicey. I don’t love the weird little Choil that exists to make room for the lock.Any concern of accidentally actuating the lock release button under firm grip?

newyork
05-21-2020, 06:36 PM
Never thought of that myself

Blades
05-21-2020, 06:36 PM
I think I found my next Spyderco. This will keep my Military CPM-M4 company.
Manix2 XL CPM-M4 Satin Blade Natural G-10 C95GM4P2:

blues
05-21-2020, 06:54 PM
Any concern of accidentally actuating the lock release button under firm grip?

Never thought of that myself

That's one of the concerns I've read about, but I've read nothing about its occurring.

The other issue I've read about is having the blade hang up in the material being cut due to its design. That said, it does lend itself to a certain style of cutting with that layout. I think it's nice looking.

Wingate's Hairbrush
05-21-2020, 06:56 PM
That's one of the concerns I've read about, but I've read nothing about its occurring.

The other issue I've read about is having the blade hang up in the material being cut due to its design. That said, it does lend itself to a certain style of cutting with that layout. I think it's nice looking.I think it's gorgeous, but I also think I'd inadvertently unlock it.

newyork
05-21-2020, 07:03 PM
Never really comes up in my want list. The mini choil Blues mentioned and the bearings. It’s too meh for me to get past those 2 things.

Navin Johnson
05-22-2020, 10:23 AM
Any concern of accidentally actuating the lock release button under firm grip?

For ME I only choose hard use folders that protect the fingers in case of a failure (has happened because of debris) or unintentionally disengaging the lock.

Hint: choil or ricasso.

Blades
05-22-2020, 06:59 PM
Smock for sale if anyone is looking for one. (httphttps://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?42567-Spyderco-Smock-Yojimbo-2s-Benchmade-810-M390-Contego://) There are also Yojimbo's and if someone would buy the economical priced one I'd appreciate it because I need to wait for the Manix XL. :)

Blades
05-22-2020, 10:40 PM
Smock for sale if anyone is looking for one. (httphttps://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?42567-Spyderco-Smock-Yojimbo-2s-Benchmade-810-M390-Contego://) There are also Yojimbo's and if someone would buy the economical priced one I'd appreciate it because I need to wait for the Manix XL. :)

Sorry, my link doesn't work. Let's try this one. (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?42567-Spyderco-Smock-Yojimbo-2s-Benchmade-810-M390-Contego)

Mark D
05-24-2020, 10:07 PM

Call me old fashioned, but I prefer 440C, 154CM and D2 to pretty much anything else. A D2 Griptilian is in my pocket currently.

I had an interesting discussion with Kyle Defoor about steels. He doesn't care what steel his knives are, as long as he can sharpen them quickly, anywhere in the world, with the bare basics.

Granted, most of us don't have KDF's background or mission parameters, but I think his approach has some merit. It's pretty close to some of the deer hunters I know, who want a steel they can freshen up easily, in the middle of dressing out game.

blues
05-24-2020, 10:20 PM
Call me old fashioned, but I prefer 440C, 154CM and D2 to pretty much anything else. A D2 Griptilian is in my pocket currently.

I had an interesting discussion with Kyle Defoor about steels. He doesn't care what steel his knives are, as long as he can sharpen them quickly, anywhere in the world, with the bare basics.

Granted, most of us don't have KDF's background or mission parameters, but I think his approach has some merit. It's pretty close to some of the deer hunters I know, who want a steel they can freshen up easily, in the middle of dressing out game.

My friend Jeff Randall always touted the same philosophy years ago. Which is why low alloy stainless steels, and simple carbon steels steels still have a place in the world.

Nepali Kukris are generally forged from 1060 (from axles). Steel that can be sharpened with files, rocks or what's at hand. Same with machetes around the world...by and large.

I have quite a few knives in the same steels, Mark.

KeeFus
05-25-2020, 08:57 AM
Since 1995 I’ve carried a Spyderco Delica with a half serrated blade. I broke the tip on the first one, I believe it was one of the first generations because it has a plastic clip...still have it. I bought 2 Delica 4 a Few years ago and they’re still going strong.

Wingate's Hairbrush
05-25-2020, 05:04 PM
Since 1995 I’ve carried a Spyderco Delica with a half serrated blade. I broke the tip on the first one, I believe it was one of the first generations because it has a plastic clip...still have it...For $25 (including shipping) Spyderco will re-grind it.

ssb
05-31-2020, 09:25 PM
I went off the deep end this weekend and bought a Para 3 Lightweight and a Chaparral FRN to supplement my PM2 and ClipiTool. I wanted a 3" or less lightweight knife for more regular carry, as over the past two years I've found the PM2 to be a lot of knife in the pocket. I really dig the compression lock and so I was leaning towards the Para 3 Lightweight for that reason, but the Chaparral's dimensions are compelling.

krax
06-01-2020, 02:53 AM
I thought for sure that the Waved Para Military would have been discussed here already. https://bladeops.com/spyderco-para-military-2-emerson-opener-satin-plainedge-exclusive/

I received mine recently. I haven't decided if it'll replace my Waved Endura for daily carry, but it's a very nice knife for the money.

Navin Johnson
06-01-2020, 09:27 AM
Emerson openers are not everyones cup of tea....

Clusterfrack
06-01-2020, 09:41 AM
I thought for sure that the Waved Para Military would have been discussed here already. https://bladeops.com/spyderco-para-military-2-emerson-opener-satin-plainedge-exclusive/

I received mine recently. I haven't decided if it'll replace my Waved Endura for daily carry, but it's a very nice knife for the money.

They definitely are my cup of... coffee (not tea). But anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing how the waved Para2 works out. So far, I prefer my ZT 0620 Emerson to most of the Spydercos, but it is discontinued. My favorite waved Spydercos are the P'Kal and the Yojimbo2 with a 5x5 Pickpocket aftermarket wave.

Guerrero
06-01-2020, 09:52 AM

I agree. I owned Emersons for several years, and I thought the Wave was the coolest thing since sliced bread. I would play with that thing every day, just wave-ing the knife out. It works great 98% of the time; the one time I needed it RIGHT NOW, it didn't open all the way. That's when I switched to a fixed blade for "important" stuff.

PNWTO
06-01-2020, 05:53 PM
My friend Jeff Randall always touted the same philosophy years ago. Which is why low alloy stainless steels, and simple carbon steels steels still have a place in the world.

Some of my favorite knives are O1 which earns an eye roll from some but it makes my life easy and I even like the patina they have, despite my maintenance attempts.

Blades
06-01-2020, 06:43 PM
...with a 5x5 Pickpocket aftermarket wave.

I didn't even know there was such an item; cool. I wonder if they'll make one for the forthcoming YoJumbo.

Clusterfrack
06-01-2020, 06:46 PM
I didn't even know there was such an item; cool. I wonder if they'll make one for the forthcoming YoJumbo.

Wyoming Shooter
06-02-2020, 06:38 PM
Based on some positive reviews found elsewhere on PF, I recently bought a replacement pocket clip for my Spyderco Yojimbo 2 from Lynch NW: https://www.lynchnw.com/. Casey shipped the clip promptly and I set about replacing the OEM clip. When I attempted to do so, I found that the LynchNW clip holes were too small to accommodate the OEM screws. I buggered up one of the OEM screws stupidly attempting to force it through the Lynch NW clip. An extensive email exchange with Casey ensued. It culminated with him sending me 3 more replacement screws (he had originally shipped 3 with the clip) and me getting 3 replacement screws directly from Spyderco. The Spyderco factory clip screws perfectly matched the Lynch NW screws. They did not match my original "Spyderco" clip screws.

I belatedly concluded that my "Spyderco" (originally purchased from Amazon) was a counterfeit. I then bought a replacement from Blade HQ: https://www.bladehq.com/ I've done business many times with Blade HQ and visited their store front once - good people. Comparing my Amazon Spyderco with the Blade HQ Spyderco, I noticed a few very subtle differences (including the screw specs). For example, the Amazon Spyderco blade was about 1/8" shorter than the new Blade HQ Spyderco blade. It's a forgery, albeit well done. I contacted Amazon. They refused a refund or exchange, noting that the 30-day return period had long lapsed.

My takeaways:

1. Don't buy knives from Amazon.

2. Do buy clips from Lynch NW.

Clusterfrack
06-02-2020, 06:46 PM
Wyoming Shooter,

Dude, that sucks. Thanks for posting. It's outrageous that Amazon won't take responsibility for breaking the law by selling a counterfeit product.

blues
06-02-2020, 06:53 PM
Wyoming Shooter,

Dude, that sucks. Thanks for posting. It's outrageous that Amazon won't take responsibility for breaking the law by selling a counterfeit product.

They will within 30 days. The problem seems to be twofold.

Selling legitimate knives and having counterfeit knives returned to them for credit.

Getting counterfeit knives from vendors who either knowingly or unknowingly provide them.

I'm not defending them, but in reality, how are they to know? When I bought an S110V PM2 from them, I spent a while upon receipt comparing the knife with known counterfeits. The knife passed every test. I've only bought a couple of knives from them. Usually I buy from well known dedicated knife vendors.

Gumbo
06-02-2020, 07:59 PM

I've been carrying a waved endura for many years. A while back I decided I wanted a pm2, but didn't want to live without the wave... needless to say, I ordered one. I hope the pm2 lives up to the hype.

Duelist
06-02-2020, 08:17 PM
Some of my favorite knives are O1 which earns an eye roll from some but it makes my life easy and I even like the patina they have, despite my maintenance attempts.

O1 is good steel and can make good to great knives, depending on heat treat and geometry. I always enjoy working O1.

Joe S
06-02-2020, 08:48 PM
Can you figure out which individual vendor fulfilled the order? We can at least share that info, and make sure no online knife knut buys from them again.

BillSWPA
06-02-2020, 09:05 PM
Wyoming Shooter,

Now that Amazon is aware of the counterfeit, they will certainly wish they got rid of that vendor promptly upon learning of the fakes if Spyderco decides to pursue the issue.

Spyderco is not the only knife maker having problems with counterfeit knives. The advice to buy from authorized dealers cannot be overemphasized.

blues
06-02-2020, 09:21 PM
Now that Amazon is aware of the counterfeit, they will certainly wish they got rid of that vendor promptly upon learning of the fakes if Spyderco decides to pursue the issue.

Spyderco is not the only knife maker having problems with counterfeit knives. The advice to buy from authorized dealers cannot be overemphasized.

Amazon is, (or was last time I checked), an authorized Spyderco vendor. That doesn't necessarily go for third party vendors nor does it address issues I referred to above.

BillSWPA
06-02-2020, 09:26 PM
Amazon is, (or was last time I checked), an authorized Spyderco vendor. That doesn't necessarily go for third party vendors nor does it address issues I referred to above.

Being an authorized vendor does not authorize one to sell counterfeits or to be a participant in the sale of counterfeits.

However, you do make a good point that the advice to buy from authorized dealers may need to be better worded in this case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

blues
06-02-2020, 09:38 PM
Being an authorized vendor does not authorize one to sell counterfeits or to be a participant in the sale of counterfeits.

However, you do make a good point that the advice to buy from authorized dealers may need to be better worded in this case.

When I've purchased knives from amazon, I've made sure that they were the seller as opposed to a vendor fulfilled by amazon. Amazon buys from Spyderco, but sometimes the orders are fulfilled via amazon as well as third party vendors. (Unless the third party vendor is an outfit I am familiar with.)

I will always recommend using any of several major online (authorized) dealerships, but that does not mean that one cannot buy from amazon, especially if one is willing to do one's homework.

The prices are virtually identical everywhere anyway.

BillSWPA
06-02-2020, 09:43 PM
When I've purchased knives from amazon, I've made sure that they were the seller as opposed to a vendor fulfilled by amazon. Amazon buys from Spyderco, but sometimes the orders are fulfilled via amazon as well as third party vendors. (Unless the third party vendor is an outfit I am familiar with.)

I will always recommend using any of several major online (authorized) dealerships, but that does not mean that one cannot buy from amazon, especially if one is willing to do one's homework.

That is a good explanation of how to safely buy from Amazon.

I doubt Amazon would knowingly sell a fake, but with third party vendors the risk is there. They cannot know what every vendor is selling, but once they know, they cannot ignore it.

fly out
06-02-2020, 11:04 PM
That is a good explanation of how to safely buy from Amazon.

I doubt Amazon would knowingly sell a fake, but with third party vendors the risk is there. They cannot know what every vendor is selling, but once they know, they cannot ignore it.

Sadly, Amazon and ebay know that thousands/millions of fakes pass through their systems and essentially nothing is done. You'd wish that they cannot ignore it, but yet...

Fällkniven has to provide a tutorial for recognizing fakes, which have flooded the market. Caveat emptor.

Wyoming Shooter
06-02-2020, 11:06 PM
My order was fulfilled by a 3rd party vendor- "Daniel Supersharp". Blues' advice is spot on. ELN

Jared
06-03-2020, 04:11 AM

This fact right here, coupled with the fact that Bezos doesn’t really need any more money, have kept me buying knives at other locations online. Mostly BladeHQ, but there are others too. The fact that I also trust that what I buy from BladeHQ, Knifeworks, etc will be legit is a big plus also.

javemtr
06-03-2020, 01:05 PM
She sure is pretty! :o

Jared
06-07-2020, 07:43 PM
Anybody out there that has both a Shaman and a PM2 willing to take some side by side comparison pics? Things like open length, closed length, width. Asking for a friend........that looks suspiciously like me.

blues
06-07-2020, 07:58 PM
Anybody out there that has both a Shaman and a PM2 willing to take some side by side comparison pics? Things like open length, closed length, width. Asking for a friend........that looks suspiciously like me.

https://youtu.be/cwVSTblR9Hg

https://youtu.be/AMos9LK5sWQ

https://youtu.be/-OYsdYbpa40

Totem Polar
06-07-2020, 08:01 PM
The fake thing is disconcerting.

On the other hand, I recently found a foolproof work-around by buying another blade directly from Tom Halloran. #motivatedbyauthenticity

I’ll post a thread with pics later.

Navin Johnson
06-09-2020, 12:27 AM

Weight is important to me and the pm2 is decent amount lighter.

Also the owner of Spyderco does not believe in flicking or flipping or inertia opening If you watched the vids.

Wyoming Shooter
06-10-2020, 09:58 AM
Gentlemen - I'm most pleased with my deep carry Lynch clip: https://www.lynchnw.com/clips. The knife sits much lower in the pocket and the clip isn't reminiscent of a 1956 Chevy bumper. Highly recommended.

Spyderco OEM clip:

Lynch clip:

JAD
06-10-2020, 11:28 AM
They definitely are my cup of... coffee (not tea). But anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing how the waved Para2 works out. So far, I prefer my ZT 0620 Emerson to most of the Spydercos, but it is discontinued. My favorite waved Spydercos are the P'Kal and the Yojimbo2 with a 5x5 Pickpocket aftermarket wave.

I don't exclusively carry waved knives but every knife I have that is not waved is mildly disappointing.

I bought the waved PM2 the minute it came out. I have only carried it three or four days, but I think that I think it sucks. It does not open well at all. I guess it's the leverage or something. If someone's interested in it PM me.

This is one of my rare non-Spyderco days...55646

Navin Johnson
06-11-2020, 08:29 AM
Gentlemen - I'm most pleased with my deep carry Lynch clip: https://www.lynchnw.com/clips. The knife sits much lower in the pocket and the clip isn't reminiscent of a 1956 Chevy bumper. Highly recommended.

Spyderco OEM clip:

Lynch clip:

Lynch makes awesome stuff....The trade-off is a knife that is more difficult to get a master grip on if it is much larger than a Delica.

Great for NPE's.

I wish spyderco would go back to black clips and I would pay for DLC versions.

I soak my crome clips in etchant (mild acid) to dull them and then flame them to darken for a non shiny case hardened look.

Exiledviking
06-13-2020, 07:17 PM
My tiny Spyderco and my integral Spyderco Paysan. The Paysan is available if someone is looking for one.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200614/01c8178b657b9bce4a12010f5a108609.jpg

ssb
06-14-2020, 05:39 PM
My fanboy-ism thus far...

https://i.imgur.com/7VbZmM9.jpg

PM2 that I've had for a few years, a Para 3 lightweight that I'm really liking, a Chaparral that's good for dressier occasions (very thin -- works well in suit pants), and a ClipiTool that I got mostly because of the bottle opener feature, but also as a supplement to the bigger, scarier knives (it may get pulled out in lieu of the PM2 depending on the company).

Jared
06-16-2020, 05:55 PM

Wife knows what a Spyderco fanboy I am. So her and my four year old daughter picked this out for me for a Father’s Day gift. It came a little early, but I am very very pleased.

It’s definitely bigger than the regular Manix 2, but in the hand it just feels awesome. I had to cut something with it, so I hacked up a couple of cardboard boxes. That went very well. If initial impressions are correct, this will be a favorite for years to come even without the obvious sentimental attachment I’m gonna have to it.

javemtr
06-29-2020, 01:04 PM
Who of you wharncliffe degenerates is planning to get the new Spyderco Yojumbo??? :cool:;)

UNM1136
06-29-2020, 03:28 PM
Not necessarily a warncliff fanboy... but considering the yojumbo. The wife says I am compensating for something...but I really dunno what she means.

pat

Blades
06-29-2020, 04:12 PM
Who of you wharncliffe degenerates is planning to get the new Spyderco Yojumbo??? :cool:;)

I am, but I only have one other wharncliffe; but I'm sure I am a degenerate in other ways. :)

Guerrero
06-29-2020, 04:24 PM
...The wife says I am compensating for something...but I really dunno what she means.

pat

You're compensating for not having enough Spyderco knives.

BluGrass
06-29-2020, 09:17 PM
Para 3 S110V
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200630/678a1978e52cb8c4e3b40d9f5baca3d6.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200630/f28610310b95ef599ef369cc6a1038e4.jpg

Blades
07-07-2020, 10:40 AM
Yojumbo is in stock at https://www.dlttrading.com/

vcdgrips
07-07-2020, 10:27 PM
Good info.

How is DLT Trading relative to Blade HQ, Knivescenter etc re pricing, customer service etc.?

Guerrero
07-07-2020, 11:29 PM
Good info.

How is DLT Trading relative to Blade HQ, Knivescenter etc re pricing, customer service etc.?

RevolverRob

RevolverRob
07-07-2020, 11:56 PM
Good info.

DLT is good-to-go. Usually prices are within pennies of KnifeCenter or BladeHQ.

Solid service overall, very communicative via email and/or phone if you call them.

I've ordered from all three places you mention, my default is DLT Trading. Only downside they tend to have less inventory or at least a more selective inventory than KnifeCenter for instance. But if you want a Yojumbo and they have one - buy with confidence from them.

ETA: Thanks to Guerrero for tagging me into this thread. I've been doing my level best to avoid it, because I'm definitely a Spyderco Fanboi and I don't need the temptations this thread provides. Like...I do not NEED a Yojumbo with a pick-pocket attached. And yet...I WANT ONE.

blues
07-08-2020, 08:02 AM
DLT is good to go. Many happy customers on the forums.

Virtually every Spyderco dealer sells regular production and sprints at the same price point.

Dealer exclusives are only sold at that one vendor.

Buy with confidence.

DMCutter
07-08-2020, 04:08 PM
Dang. Out of stock, of course. Anyone seen the Canis? What does it bring to the table that the Yojimbo doesn't? Looks like essentially the same blade with some relief in the middle. And not made in Golden, CO.

Wingate's Hairbrush
07-09-2020, 01:27 PM
...Anyone seen the Canis? What does it bring to the table that the Yojimbo doesn't? Looks like essentially the same blade with some relief in the middle...Haven't handled one, so my answer's based on what's been said about it, including by Janich, who helped shepherd it to market for pal McCann; this project's stopped-and-started a couple times, apparently.

Versus the Yojimbo, the thinned middle in theory yields less resistance when inserted and slicing through something; tip's reinforced for comparatively greater strength up front; handle shape is close to neutral, which some grips do better with.

DMCutter
07-09-2020, 02:12 PM
Thanks. Sounds like a worthwhile evolutionarily step.

vcdgrips
07-09-2020, 10:57 PM
Limited Edition Waved Endura-Seki

Walmart sold Native-Golden CO

Cat-10-Taiwan

All forearm shaving sharp after tune ups on a Sharpmaker57139

Navin Johnson
07-10-2020, 06:29 PM

Cat-10-Taiwan

The Walmart Native was actually made by Camillus in NY.

Navin Johnson
07-10-2020, 06:37 PM
i don't think the Canis is or was intended to be revolutionary to the Yo. I think it looks more utilitarian and less tactical and likely a better EDC. I had a Yo and thought it was way over the top. I like the Canis.

One could purchase 3 Endura family warnies for about the price. As MJ has written one in each front pocket and one in the bottom of a back pocket.

Clusterfrack
07-10-2020, 06:44 PM
It was a big knife session at the dojo yesterday, and I had fun with the Yojimbo 2 trainer (with 5x5 Wave). My quote of the day was:
“Hit me with a stick? Stab you in the dick.”

And then from the instructor: “Focus... it’s a small target.”

Poor guy...

vcdgrips
07-10-2020, 07:18 PM
NJ

Even the ones made with CPM® S30V steel?

mrozowjj
07-10-2020, 07:59 PM
I keep hoping Spyderco will make their Lil Native knife with the "lightweight" treatment with the FRN handles and a thinner knife because at that point it's basically a compression lock Dragonfly which is a super awesome barely over an oz knife. I can take that knife anywhere they are very frowned upon without getting any weird eye rolls for having it.

Navin Johnson
07-11-2020, 09:20 AM
NJ

Even the ones made with CPM® S30V steel?

IIRC (probably find it on Spyderco Forum) The volume needed for Walmart would have used up too much Golden capacity and it was not a money maker. I believe the intent was to replace it with a Taiwan knife. (Or maybe they did?). I think the Native was before Taiwan production began.

I believe it was all Spyderco parts and Camillus did the assembly.

I have owned/own several. One of the best values ever in the quality production knife world.

vcdgrips
07-11-2020, 09:27 AM
NJ
That make sense.

DB

BillSWPA
07-11-2020, 10:20 AM

Cat-10-Taiwan

I have two of those special edition Enduras, and have replaced the uncoated clips with factory black clips. The Spyderco pocket opener is the most reliable pocket opener I have found. It is also the gentlest on clothing.

vcdgrips
07-11-2020, 10:40 AM
On that special edition. I have bought 2, lost one. sold one. Bought one. You and me are 1% of the 500 knife run.

Gater
07-13-2020, 07:12 PM
Random scrap of paper emerged during basement clearout...

JodyH
07-19-2020, 07:50 PM

psalms144.1
07-21-2020, 03:37 PM
Is there a Spyderco equivalent of this: https://www.bladehq.com/item--Cold-Steel-Tuff-Lite-Folding-Knife--11226

It's the knife that's with me more often than anything else - mainly because of size/weight and overall usefulness. Not something I want to get into a duel with in the back alleys of Marrakesh, but super handy. Only issues are the fixed clip placement that requires tip down carry, and the sub-optimal "thumb hole." Is SC has something similar in size and weight that addresses those, I'd be happy to shell out some money...

Thanks!

1911Nut
07-21-2020, 04:08 PM
There are a couple I can think of that are close. The Delica Wharncliffe is a little larger and the Dragonfly 2 Wharncliffe is a little smaller.

Navin Johnson
07-21-2020, 05:55 PM
Is there a Spyderco equivalent of this: https://www.bladehq.com/item--Cold-Steel-Tuff-Lite-Folding-Knife--11226

It's the knife that's with me more often than anything else - mainly because of size/weight and overall usefulness. Not something I want to get into a duel with in the back alleys of Marrakesh, but super handy. Only issues are the fixed clip placement that requires tip down carry, and the sub-optimal "thumb hole." Is SC has something similar in size and weight that addresses those, I'd be happy to shell out some money...

Thanks!

Chaparral

DMCutter
07-22-2020, 05:11 PM
I got an email alert from DLT that the Yojumbo was back in stock so I ordered one; I got a shipping notice about 15 minutes later. It is very, very large. Not sure what I'll do with it, maybe clear brush...the picture doesn't accurately portray how much bigger it is than the standard sized one. Sort of like my P365 next to my P320C.

Duelist
07-22-2020, 06:23 PM

Thanks!

There are a couple I can think of that are close. The Delica Wharncliffe is a little larger and the Dragonfly 2 Wharncliffe is a little smaller.

Delica.

Blades
07-22-2020, 07:03 PM
I got an email alert from DLT that the Yojumbo was back in stock so I ordered one; I got a shipping notice about 15 minutes later. It is very, very large. Not sure what I'll do with it, maybe clear brush...the picture doesn't accurately portray how much bigger it is than the standard sized one. Sort of like my P365 next to my P320C.

I snagged a Yojumbo also, but haven't decided if I want to carry it. Three of four pockets already have a knife, so either one has to go, or the Yojumbo goes IWB.

Joe S
07-22-2020, 08:39 PM
I snagged a Yojumbo also, but haven't decided if I want to carry it. Three of four pockets already have a knife, so either one has to go, or the Yojumbo goes IWB.

This post is so full of awesome. I'd be tempted to make it a sig if you don't mind the mention.

Blades
07-23-2020, 05:25 AM
This post is so full of awesome. I'd be tempted to make it a sig if you don't mind the mention.
I don't mind.

5pins
07-31-2020, 08:18 AM
I just got an email for Knives ship free if you are looking for a Para 3. I'm not looking for a Para 3 but I am looking for my PM2 with Maxamet that I lost. :mad:

Spyderco: Para 3 Sprint Run - Diamond Arc G-10 - CPM S45VN - C223GPFGR (https://www.knivesshipfree.com/spyderco-para-3-sprint-run-diamond-arc-g-10-cpm-s45vn-c223gpfgr/?utm_campaign=Spyderco&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=92348517&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-_GILwCYGII5QrztpWukRYw_Unzrjz9xwyj-YQpFFlrE1QM2ONakmXr7XPPBGNwvwYd4bdky78j_vv1e1AywrE gHFsmmA&utm_content=92348517&utm_source=hs_email)

blues
07-31-2020, 08:52 AM
I just got an email for Knives ship free if you are looking for a Para 3. I'm not looking for a Para 3 but I am looking for my PM2 with Maxamet that I lost. :mad:

5pins If you don't find yours, I'll send you mine, (new and unused) for what I have in it. Lord knows I have enough knives lying around to last me for a few lifetimes.

JAD
07-31-2020, 08:59 AM

Thanks!

I use the Cricket in that role (https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000BSWEE6/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_IkcjFb74B2113). It is particularly useful as a gentleman's knife. I have been using one since they first came out.

5pins
07-31-2020, 09:44 AM
@5pins (https://pistol-forum.com/member.php?u=2029) If you don't find yours, I'll send you mine, (new and unused) for what I have in it. Lord knows I have enough knives lying around to last me for a few lifetimes.

Thanks for the offer but I also have too many knives as it is. Hopefully it will show up someday and it will be like a surprise gift. If not, I hope whoever finds it appreciates what they have.

rob_s
07-31-2020, 10:00 AM
What do you guys like for a slim Spyderco either for IWB carry or even pocket-clip carry for lightweight dress pants? I'm looking for something lightweight and slim but also appropriate for "office dressy" (as opposed to "office casual" of khaki pants).

Gater
07-31-2020, 10:54 AM
What do you guys like for a slim Spyderco either for IWB carry or even pocket-clip carry for lightweight dress pants? I'm looking for something lightweight and slim but also appropriate for "office dressy" (as opposed to "office casual" of khaki pants).

I haven't been able to make a pocket clip work with any true suit pants. IWB, with the wire clip behind a 1.5 inch leather belt, my black Dragonfly 2 is invisible, especially after I changed the clip to one of Spyderco's black wire versions from the Lil Native. It is so light and short that you truly will forget it it is there. The Chaparral LW is a nice slim knife, but the wire clip on them is longer.

momano
07-31-2020, 10:56 AM
I like the looks of the Ikuchi- but confess I haven't bought one yet.
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco-Ikuchi-Compression-Lock--93649#product-reviews

BrassSlapper
08-24-2020, 02:06 AM
Any love for the Spyderco Ambition?

rob_s
08-24-2020, 05:05 AM
I haven't been able to make a pocket clip work with any true suit pants. IWB, with the wire clip behind a 1.5 inch leather belt, my black Dragonfly 2 is invisible, especially after I changed the clip to one of Spyderco's black wire versions from the Lil Native. It is so light and short that you truly will forget it it is there. The Chaparral LW is a nice slim knife, but the wire clip on them is longer.

Yeah the more I think about it the more I think it’ll have to be IWB with the suit pants, not pocket.

The Lil Native itself is actually pretty interesting.

I think my criteria is that it needs to be thin, in both directions, and some amount of panache would be nice as well.

JodyH
08-24-2020, 06:25 AM
Panache you say?

Pro-Tech "The Don" in teal and ivory.

:cool: