PDA

View Full Version : Assault weapons ban in Canada

JclInAtx
05-01-2020, 01:16 PM
National review has a article about Trudeau announcing an assault weapons ban, with little detail. I guess nobody should be surprised after the that nutcase in Nova Scotia.
Anyone have more details?

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/trudeau-announces-assault-weapons-ban-following-mass-shooting-in-nova-scotia/

My sympathies for our neighbors to the north.

LittleLebowski
05-01-2020, 01:39 PM
"dislike"

WobblyPossum
05-01-2020, 01:53 PM
I read somewhere that nine of the 22 people died of arson. Is he planning to ban fire?

Maple Syrup Actual
05-01-2020, 02:03 PM
Yeah, not my favourite day.

I fully intend to dig in and pursue court challenges. My goal is to delay until this government falls, which, as a minority government, it very well may.

Most aggravating of all, this was done through an Order in Council, which allows for certain types of regulatory changes without legislative process. The legislature is currently disrupted by the coronavirus restrictions, so this is very much being carried out behind closed doors.

I don't have time to edit the flag, so just imagine a maple leaf.

Wendell
05-01-2020, 02:09 PM
Regulations Amending the Regulations Prescribing Certain Firearms and Other Weapons, Components and Parts of Weapons, Accessories, Cartridge Magazines, Ammunition and Projectiles as Prohibited, Restricted or Non-Restricted: SOR/2020-96 May 1, 2020
http://canadagazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p2/2020/2020-05-01-x3/html/sor-dors96-eng.html

helothar
05-01-2020, 02:12 PM

I fully intend to dig in and pursue court challenges. My goal is to delay until this government falls, which, as a minority government, it very well may.

Most aggravating of all, this was done through an Order in Council, which allows for certain types of regulatory changes without legislative process. The legislature is currently disrupted by the coronavirus restrictions, so this is very much being carried out behind closed doors.

I don't have time to edit the flag, so just imagine a maple leaf.I wish you the best of luck!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Suvorov
05-01-2020, 02:13 PM
Help me to understand Canadian rules of government - does the PM have the ability to simply decree a law or are gun rights in Canada eh on such a precarious perch that the PM can just draft up rules on his own similar to our EOs?

Sad day for Canada and proof that the tyrannical progressives will use any tragedy to advance their agenda.

RJ
05-01-2020, 02:18 PM
Sorry to hear. But not unexpected, given Trudeau’s Party was re-elected in October.

Guerrero
05-01-2020, 02:32 PM

Pardon my ignorance, I thought the cousins up north pretty much lost everything already. How is this different? Some "fun" guns were previously allowed?

Suvorov
05-01-2020, 02:35 PM
Pardon my ignorance, I thought the cousins up north pretty much lost everything already. How is this different? Some "fun" guns were previously allowed?

Absolutely. In fact those floppy headed bastards could have things we couldn’t even get in the “free states” after the Bush Ban. Now even the humble Mini14 is banned. 😔

Casual Friday
05-01-2020, 03:17 PM

Here you go my friend.

Maple Syrup Actual
05-01-2020, 03:19 PM
Here you go my friend.

Thanks eh!

Clobbersaurus
05-01-2020, 03:35 PM

No, we had access to most popular semi auto sport rifles. The law, as it is written, is a package of ridiculousness wrapped in a bow of hoplophobia. Most prohibited long rifles here are prohibited by name and variant. The list makes no sense to folks on both sides of the gun control argument.

I knew this was coming after the election, but I’m ashamed of my Governments opportunistic timing of this. Never underestimate the glee with witch a politician will unabashedly grave dance to push a potentially unpopular agenda. The smug smiles on their faces during the press release was enough to turn my stomach.

Not a good day to be a Canadian.

olstyn
05-01-2020, 03:47 PM
Hm, "grace period" during which owners of newly prohibited guns must participate in a buyback program. Can't they just be honest and call it confiscation?

LittleLebowski
05-01-2020, 04:36 PM
Not posted as criticism of good Canadians.

And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward."

Suvorov
05-01-2020, 04:45 PM
Not posted as criticism of good Canadians.

Solzhenitsyn was quoted to discussed almost daily in my house growing up. I often think about that quote. Now more than often.

There is not doubt that there is a hard push within the progressive elites of the Western world to remove "weapons" from the hands of their populations. What is most ironic to me is the fact that this denture maker didn't even use an assault style rifle* and NOBODY in the main stream media is even questioning the fact that it is being used as the reason for these recent laws.

* Yes - I realize that the exact type of weapon used has not been disclosed, but everyone with an IQ over that of a mushroom knows that *if* it had been an assault style firearm - it photo of it would have been on the cover of every newspaper in the English and French speaking world.

Glenn E. Meyer
05-01-2020, 05:12 PM
It was only a matter of time until the Mini-14s were included. They were used in Canada and Norway for rampages. They dodged our initial AWB by looking nice, I suppose and Ruger's 10 round limit shenanigans.

The researchers who determined our AWB was worthless as deterring or reducing crime, clearly indicated that the existence of weapons of equal efficacy were part of the reason. Legislators who knew nothing (thing that goes up) overlooked that gun. Not any longer.

If we have some horror show again here, easy to see more state bans and even a Federal one depending on White House and Congress. We know that Trump cannot be trusted on the issue, even if he is re-elected.

Scotus has Roberts also not to be trusted.

pooty
05-01-2020, 05:21 PM
it's time...

https://i.imgur.com/U1DnudA.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnwPSPkC2j8

Totem Polar
05-01-2020, 05:29 PM
Regulations Amending the Regulations Prescribing Certain Firearms and Other Weapons, Components and Parts of Weapons, Accessories, Cartridge Magazines, Ammunition and Projectiles as Prohibited, Restricted or Non-Restricted: SOR/2020-96 May 1, 2020
http://canadagazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p2/2020/2020-05-01-x3/html/sor-dors96-eng.html

Christ, what a thing. They plainly state "mass shootings with assault weapons" as the issues/background, but go on to list recoilless rifles, missile launchers, and bolt action Barrett and MacMillan .50 rifles.

Glad that they’re finally taking care of Canada’s rampant .50BMG and mortar crime waves. Yay. [/sarc]

AKDoug
05-01-2020, 05:37 PM
Pardon my ignorance, I thought the cousins up north pretty much lost everything already. How is this different? Some "fun" guns were previously allowed? Dude, I stopped at a shop on my recent drive through northern Alberta. I was drooling over a bunch of SBR's that we can't get in the states without a tax stamp. The prices were good too.

Casual Friday
05-01-2020, 06:06 PM
misanthropist

LittleLebowski
05-01-2020, 08:21 PM
misanthropist would us joining the CCFR help?

https://firearmrights.ca/en/home/

EPF
05-01-2020, 08:38 PM
misanthropist would us joining the CCFR help?

After what we just went through here. I’d like to help in any way I can.

Maple Syrup Actual
05-01-2020, 10:15 PM
Thank you! Yes, I think any support like that would help. I have been trying to decide whether funds best go to the CCFR or the CSSA; the CCFR are more grassroots, the CSSA maybe better connected, but honestly after going around a lot of times I don't know what I think about that and maybe I'm not in any position to make that decision for anyone anyway.

I suspect an individual dollar goes further with the CCFR. They're more visibly active and have more of a volunteer base, I think. The CSSA is more of an "establishment" organization and I think they have a better organized legal wing so the individual dollars probably don't go as far, but they might go to more directly necessary projects...but that's hard to say.

Really, any support that we get right now is going to help. My money is going to both organizations and the only major political party in the country that's going to have a shot and reversing any of this. Their leadership convention is happening now, so I am trying to help put a worthwhile candidate in the driver's seat.

fly out
05-01-2020, 10:51 PM
Thank you! Yes, I think any support like that would help. I have been trying to decide whether funds best go to the CCFR or the CSSA; the CCFR are more grassroots, the CSSA maybe better connected, but honestly after going around a lot of times I don't know what I think about that and maybe I'm not in any position to make that decision for anyone anyway.

I suspect an individual dollar goes further with the CCFR. They're more visibly active and have more of a volunteer base, I think. The CSSA is more of an "establishment" organization and I think they have a better organized legal wing so the individual dollars probably don't go as far, but they might go to more directly necessary projects...but that's hard to say.

Really, any support that we get right now is going to help. My money is going to both organizations and the only major political party in the country that's going to have a shot and reversing any of this. Their leadership convention is happening now, so I am trying to help put a worthwhile candidate in the driver's seat.

I'd be happy to buy a CCFR membership, but I figure that I'd just be an outsider "interfering" in Canadian politics. I see from the CCFR website that I can gift a membership. If you know a Canuck who legitimately can't afford one, I'd be happy to gift one. PM me if you know someone. (Unless you have an email address for Justin Trudeau...I could certainly gift him one...)

Arbninftry
05-01-2020, 10:52 PM

Can you put up some links. We will trust your judgement, we can even allow refugee's south :)

EPF
05-02-2020, 07:30 AM
I’d rather donate straight to whatever legal fund or group is gong to be challenging this than become a member. I think Misanthropist understands the aversion to being a joiner 🙂

But I’m not worried a bit about the interference in Canada’s politics part. Civil rights are human rights and if people can have concerts for Tibet I can donate to help defend the right to keep and bear arms of our closest allies and national “cousins” up north. Our founders merely annotated that right and pointed out that we were born with it.

Please keep us posted on what’s really happening and what we can do to help. The media kind of sucks :(

Baldanders
05-02-2020, 12:30 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXGhmA921R0

I'm thinking of the PM as Mr. Tisane from now on. He's just as inspirational.

"It's science!"

My condolences to our Canadian members.

Yung
05-02-2020, 02:31 PM
http://canadagazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p2/2020/2020-05-01-x3/pdf/g2-154x3.pdf
They even named the one-off lowers.

(z.085) AR15.Com ARFCOM;
(z.086) AR15.Com AR15.Com;

CZ Man
05-02-2020, 02:43 PM
This is quite a mess. I lived up north in Canada for a number of years. Thank God I left when I did. The gun laws were atrocious even back then! I predict / hope for mass non compliance and legal challenges. I've got friends and some family still up there who are mighty pissed. The problem is a lot of the semi auto rifles are registered so the govt knows who's got them. Just another example in the long line of examples how registration leads to confiscation! Never register anything!

Wendell
05-02-2020, 03:11 PM
This Power & Politics report by Vassy Kapelos (https://twitter.com/vassykapelos?lang=en) is as fair and balanced as I've ever seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0tofuHiK64

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0tofuHiK64

Maple Syrup Actual
05-02-2020, 11:04 PM
After a bit of thought, here's what I will do.

These are links to the CCFR and CSSA:

https://cssa-cila.org/

Once a legal action begins to roll, I will keep everyone here in the loop. Personally I would not hesitate to interfere; certainly our opponents have had no aversion to getting help from "progressive" groups in the US and much of the Canadian political battleground is littered with money from NY and CA.

I think probably the most efficient use of funds will be to put them directly into legal battles so for anyone who is interested, that's probably the route I would go and I will keep you all posted on how that looks to be developing. Conceivably there will be some entertainment value, at least, in screwing with Canadian progressives and the fact is that even a tiny fraction of US discretionary pro-gun donations would completely alter the balance of power here; there is just not the same kind of politics here and the money changing hands here is peanuts compared to what you are used to.

I may attempt to position the Canadian gun cause as a humourous mascot on some US forums for this reason. Just thinking about the numbers, I'd say if every American with an AR and a sense of humour threw in a buck, that would probably generate more funds than if every Canadian with an AR, with or without a sense of humour, put in a hundred. And that's before the exchange rate.

Of course that's hardly anything I would expect to happen but you never know; sometimes it's easier to motivate people to engage in weird jokes than in practical self-preservation.

Regardless, I'll keep everyone informed as things develop. I would say that for the moment, the strategy is "delay, deny, defeat in court" combined with "replace the government". Fortunately the current government is fairly weak, but unfortunately the opposition (which is moderately supportive of gun owners) is also fairly weak. The Trudeau Liberals are being propped up by three other parties which are pretty anti-gun, and they may or may not take issue with the way this was done, even though it's a pretty appalling abuse of process.

The only real solution is to bring down the government but that won't happen until the opposition is quite a bit stronger. Hopefully under two years.

At any rate I have no intention of relinquishing anything, not one grain of powder. Not even one New Brunswick locksmith, who was also made a prohibited firearm in this absurdly sloppy legislation. Thankfully he has not be used to shoot anyone yet but I don't think that's directly the result of this regulatory change: to my knowledge, nobody in the country had shot anyone with him before he was a prohibited weapon either. But now, not only can he not be used, even at a range, he also cannot be transported, bought, sold, or exported. I'm not sure if he feels a sense of job security, knowing that it is now illegal to fire him, but even so I don't think it's worth the price the rest of us are paying.

NH Shooter
05-03-2020, 06:45 AM
At any rate I have no intention of relinquishing anything, not one grain of powder.

You are not alone. As a point of reference, the compliance rate to state bans in NY and CT has been estimated at about five percent. In rural parts of NY, local LE does not even enforce the SAFE Act.

Good luck in your fight!

That Guy
05-03-2020, 06:53 AM
I'd say if every American with an AR and a sense of humour threw in a buck, that would probably generate more funds than if every Canadian with an AR, with or without a sense of humour, put in a hundred. And that's before the exchange rate.

There are also some of us suspicious AR-toting foreigners who might want to chip in.

Not even one New Brunswick locksmith, who was also made a prohibited firearm in this absurdly sloppy legislation.

That sounds hilarious and I would like to ask for more details, if possible. :)

Joe in PNG
05-06-2020, 12:22 AM
Meanwhile, in the category of Canuk Overreactions, a story about the Kanadian Kops coming down hard on a gal dressed as a Stormtrooper for a May the 4th promotion (https://lethbridgenewsnow.com/2020/05/04/star-wars-day-promotion-goes-awry-after-lps-arrests-employee-in-stormtrooper-costume/).

Maple Syrup Actual
05-06-2020, 01:06 AM
There are also some of us suspicious AR-toting foreigners who might want to chip in.

That sounds hilarious and I would like to ask for more details, if possible. :)

I'm afraid I don't have a ton of details there - what I hear is that he had built a line of muzzle brakes at one time, but how he ended up on the list I'm not sure. I fear that if I look into it too closely there will be some kind of rational explanation and it won't be funny anymore, so for the moment I'm just enjoying it.

In other news, what we have discovered is that the general prohibition on guns with a bore over 20mm will almost certainly prohibit every 12g with a screw-on choke - this is the opinion of Ed Burlew, who is one of Canada's leading experts on firearms law. The government disagrees and the Minister for Public Safety has been tweeting that this is not true, but it's clearly a screw-up because it's not up to the government how the law is actually applied in court, of course. This is totally down to the rules about measuring bore diameter, and there are no exceptions or exclusions in the law as written.

Personally I'm thrilled; might wake up the fudds at last if they think their duck guns are all on the chopping block.

LittleLebowski
05-06-2020, 10:31 AM
I'm afraid I don't have a ton of details there - what I hear is that he had built a line of muzzle brakes at one time, but how he ended up on the list I'm not sure. I fear that if I look into it too closely there will be some kind of rational explanation and it won't be funny anymore, so for the moment I'm just enjoying it.

In other news, what we have discovered is that the general prohibition on guns with a bore over 20mm will almost certainly prohibit every 12g with a screw-on choke - this is the opinion of Ed Burlew, who is one of Canada's leading experts on firearms law. The government disagrees and the Minister for Public Safety has been tweeting that this is not true, but it's clearly a screw-up because it's not up to the government how the law is actually applied in court, of course. This is totally down to the rules about measuring bore diameter, and there are no exceptions or exclusions in the law as written.

Personally I'm thrilled; might wake up the fudds at last if they think their duck guns are all on the chopping block.

Hopefully some will pay attention to what we did in Virginia on January 20th of this year. You don't need the openly carried guns to be effective, you just gotta get people involved.

LittleLebowski
05-06-2020, 10:41 AM
After a bit of thought, here's what I will do.

These are links to the CCFR and CSSA:

https://cssa-cila.org/

Once a legal action begins to roll, I will keep everyone here in the loop. Personally I would not hesitate to interfere; certainly our opponents have had no aversion to getting help from "progressive" groups in the US and much of the Canadian political battleground is littered with money from NY and CA.

I think probably the most efficient use of funds will be to put them directly into legal battles so for anyone who is interested, that's probably the route I would go and I will keep you all posted on how that looks to be developing. Conceivably there will be some entertainment value, at least, in screwing with Canadian progressives and the fact is that even a tiny fraction of US discretionary pro-gun donations would completely alter the balance of power here; there is just not the same kind of politics here and the money changing hands here is peanuts compared to what you are used to.

I may attempt to position the Canadian gun cause as a humourous mascot on some US forums for this reason. Just thinking about the numbers, I'd say if every American with an AR and a sense of humour threw in a buck, that would probably generate more funds than if every Canadian with an AR, with or without a sense of humour, put in a hundred. And that's before the exchange rate.

Of course that's hardly anything I would expect to happen but you never know; sometimes it's easier to motivate people to engage in weird jokes than in practical self-preservation.

Regardless, I'll keep everyone informed as things develop. I would say that for the moment, the strategy is "delay, deny, defeat in court" combined with "replace the government". Fortunately the current government is fairly weak, but unfortunately the opposition (which is moderately supportive of gun owners) is also fairly weak. The Trudeau Liberals are being propped up by three other parties which are pretty anti-gun, and they may or may not take issue with the way this was done, even though it's a pretty appalling abuse of process.

The only real solution is to bring down the government but that won't happen until the opposition is quite a bit stronger. Hopefully under two years.

At any rate I have no intention of relinquishing anything, not one grain of powder. Not even one New Brunswick locksmith, who was also made a prohibited firearm in this absurdly sloppy legislation. Thankfully he has not be used to shoot anyone yet but I don't think that's directly the result of this regulatory change: to my knowledge, nobody in the country had shot anyone with him before he was a prohibited weapon either. But now, not only can he not be used, even at a range, he also cannot be transported, bought, sold, or exported. I'm not sure if he feels a sense of job security, knowing that it is now illegal to fire him, but even so I don't think it's worth the price the rest of us are paying.

PF money bomb of CCFR has begun :D

Gentlefolk, joining the CCFR was quick and easy via PayPal. It was $40 in icepesos and $29.68 in TrumpBux.

Maple Syrup Actual
05-06-2020, 10:48 AM
Ah...the sweet sweet taste of foreign interference in our democracy!

Every dollar spent buys a lottery ticket in the "may get to hear Justin having to use his weird, breathy, saccharine delivery to admit defeat" sweepstakes!

Maple Syrup Actual
05-06-2020, 10:49 AM
Hopefully some will pay attention to what we did in Virginia on January 20th of this year. You don't need the openly carried guns to be effective, you just gotta get people involved.

Definitely seems like a model to follow.

Casual Friday
05-06-2020, 11:28 AM
Joined the CCFR and donated $25 to the CSSA.

I guess you could say I'm a Canadian gun rights activist now, eh. Gonna go fill up my truck with petrol and stop by Timmies, don't need a Toque though, it's aboot 18°C out there today.

Lex Luthier
05-06-2020, 01:22 PM
Joined the CCFR and donated $25 to the CSSA.

I guess you could say I'm a Canadian gun rights activist now, eh. Gonna go fill up my truck with petrol and stop by Timmies, don't need a Toque though, it's aboot 18°C out there today.

Now just add in Poutine, French Girls, and how sad it is that Newfies will drink you out of house and home, and no one will be the wiser.

rjohnson4405
05-06-2020, 01:58 PM
Donated to both, put this in my note:

Pistol-Forum.com support

So they know how great we are.

Maple Syrup Actual
05-06-2020, 03:16 PM
Thanks everyone for the support! Here is an interesting video update from the CCFR, just so you can see what your dollars are supporting up here:

https://youtu.be/_nHoD3DXaXQ

For those who don't want to sit through video (this is usually me as well) here's the bullet points: the CCFR doesn't usually pursue court actions but in this case they have retained constitutional lawyers to file a suit alleging a Charter Rights breach. The team they've retained is experienced in this exact type of action and are confident there's a case here, so this may be the big one.

The suit hasn't been filed yet but the pin has been pulled. We're readying up our throwing arms, I'll keep you updated as things move ahead.

Totem Polar
05-06-2020, 07:30 PM
$29.64. The price is dropping as we speak, folks.

:)

Wendell
05-06-2020, 08:25 PM
“Minister Blair is either too inept to comprehend the scope of his regulations… or he lied to the government and Canadians,” the Canadian Sporting Arms and Ammunition Association (CSAAA) said in a statement on Tuesday. The organization is now in regular calls with federal officials in an effort to hammer out various points of confusion. In a phone call last Friday with the federal departments of Public Safety, Global Affairs Canada and others, Alison de Groot, the managing director at the CSAAA, said officials were unable to answer technical questions like how shipments of now-prohibited firearms would be handled by authorities. One distributor, for example, was unsure whether authorities would intercept an incoming shipment that bundled legal firearms together with those that are now illegal. Officials were scrambling for answers in what appeared to be a hasty regulatory change that came as a surprise to both government and retailers. “They assumed that the shipments would come in separately because they did not understand how the import certificates work,” de Groot said. “It was quite clear to us that those departments did not know this (ban) was coming, either.”
https://nationalpost.com/news/incoherent-liberal-firearm-ban-excludes-several-semi-automatics-potentially-outlaws-big-game-hunting-rifles

Bigghoss
05-06-2020, 08:34 PM
PF money bomb of CCFR has begun :D

Gentlefolk, joining the CCFR was quick and easy via PayPal. It was $40 in icepesos and $29.68 in TrumpBux.

Haha "icepesos". I'm going to have to remember that one.

I'm reminded of this

https://youtu.be/IK-NtT17qGo

Bigghoss
05-07-2020, 09:45 AM

AKDoug
05-07-2020, 12:07 PM

Pretty funny, but the rifle actually exists.

Shoresy
05-07-2020, 12:44 PM

So it's really a protectionist trade policy to prop up Tim Horton's. This aggression will not stand, man.

OlongJohnson
05-07-2020, 01:42 PM
So it's really a protectionist trade policy to prop up Tim Horton's. This aggression will not stand, man.

Trump's fault!

Wendell
05-07-2020, 09:06 PM
Darryl Davies, a criminology professor at Carleton University in Ottawa and a well-known RCMP critic, is also calling for a public inquiry. Davies called the federal government's immediate response to address the widescale tragedy "smoke and mirrors." Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced a new law last week banning assault rifles, covering 1,500 models of firearms. The law wouldn't have prevented the gunman from obtaining the automatic weapons he used in the mass shooting, nor does it address the RCMP's historic inability to respond appropriately to mass shooting situations, said Davies. "Simply banning assault rifles will not do, because we know they can be obtained illegally and anyone who is intent on committing mass killing will find them." He said the RCMP doesn't have an effective strategy or protocols to respond effectively to active shooting situations. Secondly, he said, there's no plan in place to respond quickly to these situations in isolated areas like Portapique, where the shooting rampage began and where local detachments are often short-staffed, said Davies. "There needs to be a protocol, and when help is needed, it arrives rapidly. These are commonsensical things, especially from what we've learned from Mayerthorpe, and what we learned from Moncton. That is there are individuals in this country who are intent on killing people when they have grievances against the authorities.
https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/news/provincial/father-of-victim-of-nova-scotia-mass-shooting-calls-for-public-inquiry-446813/?itm_source=parsely-api

Davies has first-hand experience working with the RCMP. Five years after the 2005 shooting deaths of four Mounties in Mayerthorpe, Alta., the professor produced a report for the force recommending it immediately supply carbines for all uniformed officers for their protection. Four years later, in June 2014, three Moncton officers were fatally shot by a gunman. None of them were armed with carbines. The RCMP was convicted in May 2017 under the Canada Labour Code for failing to ensure the health and safety of its employees by failing to provide them with adequate use-of-force equipment, specifically carbines. It was Davies' testimony that helped secure that conviction.
https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/news/provincial/father-of-victim-of-nova-scotia-mass-shooting-calls-for-public-inquiry-446813/?itm_source=parsely-api

HCM
05-08-2020, 12:24 AM

Casual Friday
05-08-2020, 06:02 PM
misanthropist is there a strong contingent of police in Canada that support gun rights for citizens like here in Merica?

Maple Syrup Actual
05-08-2020, 07:10 PM
I definitely wouldn't say strong, although committed, yes.

A lot of Canadians are just really pro-institution. They rarely see the state as a threat; more as benign or even benevolent. You get some police and military who are REALLY pro-gun, but tons more who are of the "the government assigned these to me and you don't need them, and by having them you're just putting people at risk" school of thought.

I'd say it's surprising, given the Canadian government's fairly recent history of internment, forced sterilizations, and race-based voting restrictions, but you know how it is. I don't really trust any body that gets to author laws, but I'm not a particularly average Canadian in that regard.

Maple Syrup Actual
05-08-2020, 07:14 PM
The first shotgun officially prohibited under this order happened today, too: a single shot Iver Johnson.

To be honest it's the best news I've had since this whole thing started. It exceeded the max bore size of 20mm, which was foolishly chosen for some stupid reason or other. But lacking knowledge of guns, they didn't realize that lots of shotguns are overbored for chokes etc, and so plenty of duck guns will turn out to be prohibited now.

That ought to wake up some fudds.

HCM
05-09-2020, 12:48 AM
Troy Industries Canadian AR Lowers

Saw these for sale at Brownells........ looks like a onetime deal

Engraved with the distinct Maple Leaf of the Canadian flag and a “Northern Guard” roll mark, these lowers were bound for the Great White North until Justin Trudeau banned them by an “order-in-council” without any legislation.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receivers/lower-receivers/ar-15-northern-guard-lower-receiver-prod136054.aspx

Maple Syrup Actual
05-09-2020, 01:17 AM

Engraved with the distinct Maple Leaf of the Canadian flag and a “Northern Guard” roll mark, these lowers were bound for the Great White North until Justin Trudeau banned them by an “order-in-council” without any legislation.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receivers/lower-receivers/ar-15-northern-guard-lower-receiver-prod136054.aspx

You know...that would be an interesting souvenir. The Northern Guard ARs have sold fairly well up here...until the other day, anyway. Probably not many in the US.

LittleLebowski
05-09-2020, 10:27 AM

LittleLebowski
05-09-2020, 10:30 AM

#SortaWant

LittleLebowski
05-09-2020, 10:30 AM

Maple Syrup Actual
05-09-2020, 10:46 AM
Those drawings are hilarious

LittleLebowski
05-09-2020, 11:00 AM

Wendell
05-10-2020, 08:24 AM
In a morning news conference, Trudeau and other top cabinet ministers neglected to mention the government intends to (allow grandfathering of) current owners (of) the guns that were prohibited under new regulations imposed on Friday. That was left to public service officials who outlined the new rules in a technical briefing after Trudeau and his ministers spoke. The officials said people who currently own military weapons subject to the new ban will have two years to decide whether to give up the now-prohibited guns for compensation or keep them under a “grandfathering” scheme that has yet to be determined. Public Safety Minister Bill Blair’s office later confirmed the government intends to craft a program that allows people who currently own these guns to keep them under conditions that prohibit the sale, use and transport of banned weapons.
https://www.thestar.com/politics/federal/2020/05/01/prime-minister-trudeau-announces-ban-on-1500-types-of-military-style-guns.html

Wendell
05-10-2020, 08:35 AM
In the midst of dealing with a complicated active shooter investigation, Nova Scotia RCMP looked to New Brunswick for help, but not to the closest municipal police forces even though they were on standby, CBC News has learned. The two municipal police forces in Nova Scotia closest to Portapique, Truro and Amherst, were not asked to respond directly to the mass shooting at any point. According to the RCMP timeline, the gunman drove directly through Truro between 10:15 and 10:20 a.m. on April 19 without stopping. Paul Palango, a Nova Scotia-based author who has written three books about the RCMP, said it's "outrageous" the gunman was able to freely drive through Truro on a Sunday morning. He questioned why the RCMP decided to call in New Brunswick RCMP from hours away when the Truro police force was so much closer. As well, Palango questions why the RCMP didn't ask Truro police to help set up secondary perimeters to catch the gunman. "There's something absolutely wrong going on," Palango said.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/mass-shooting-portapique-rcmp-resources-municipal-backup-1.5561700

OlongJohnson
05-10-2020, 08:58 AM
In a morning news conference, Trudeau and other top cabinet ministers neglected to mention the government intends to (allow grandfathering of) current owners (of) the guns that were prohibited under new regulations imposed on Friday. That was left to public service officials who outlined the new rules in a technical briefing after Trudeau and his ministers spoke. The officials said people who currently own military weapons subject to the new ban will have two years to decide whether to give up the now-prohibited guns for compensation or keep them under a “grandfathering” scheme that has yet to be determined. Public Safety Minister Bill Blair’s office later confirmed the government intends to craft a program that allows people who currently own these guns to keep them under conditions that prohibit the sale, use and transport of banned weapons.
https://www.thestar.com/politics/federal/2020/05/01/prime-minister-trudeau-announces-ban-on-1500-types-of-military-style-guns.html

That's just generational confiscation. Like in CA. They can own them, but they are non-heritable. Can't pass them down to children or grandchildren. When the old ones who have them are gone, they go, too.

And CA also showed that it is more than willing to break promises with the magazine ban. Started as "no more new ones." Then went to, "You can keep them if you have them, but no transferring them." Then became, "Turn them all in."

We have to think long term, because the people who are playing the societal change game think long term.

Casual Friday
05-10-2020, 09:22 AM

Wendell
05-10-2020, 10:16 AM
The RCMP deleted the option for so-called “grandfathering” this week from its web page on the Canadian government’s mass gun confiscations, igniting concern owners will face jail unless we surrender our gear within two years. The website now mentions only the first of two options promised by the governing Liberal Party. The RCMP’s web page Q&A originally mentioned “grandfathering.” You can see the Internet Archive Wayback Machine’s archived copy of May 1. The references to “grandfathering” no longer appear in the archived copy from May 6, or the current version. Neither the words nor the concepts of “grandfathering” or “buyback” appear in the ban list (SOR/2020-96) or the amnesty order (SOR/2020-97) published May 1. The Ministry of Public Safety mentioned “grandfathering” in verbal and written briefings about the confiscation order, and in a Regulatory Impact Analysis Statement that follows the regulations and isn’t part of them. The RCMP controls private gun ownership under the Ministry of Public Safety.
https://thegunblog.ca/2020/05/09/rcmp-deletes-grandfathering-option-from-web-page-on-gun-bans/

“This looks like an early signal that the Liberals will backtrack on their promise of confiscation-at-death ‘grandfathering,’ and force fast confiscation,” Nicolas Johnson, the editor of TheGunBlog said.

https://thegunblog.ca/2020/05/09/rcmp-deletes-grandfathering-option-from-web-page-on-gun-bans/

olstyn
05-10-2020, 11:08 AM
I know you guys don't have the same legal protections for weapons ownership we do down here in the USA, but I find it confusing that it's even possible for Trudeau to just decree that a wide range of guns are prohibited without even going through a legislative process. I thought he as an elected official, not a king.

WobblyPossum
05-10-2020, 11:34 AM
I know you guys don't have the same legal protections for weapons ownership we do down here in the USA, but I find it confusing that it's even possible for Trudeau to just decree that a wide range of guns are prohibited without even going through a legislative process. I thought he as an elected official, not a king.

Yeah. I’m not saying I knew much about the Canadian legislative process before this, but apparently I had some assumptions that were completely wrong. I really feel for the folks up there.

Snapshot
05-10-2020, 12:19 PM
Yeah. I’m not saying I knew much about the Canadian legislative process before this, but apparently I had some assumptions that were completely wrong. I really feel for the folks up there.

Unfortunately we have been through this before and the Order In Council (OIC) process is well established. It is not really the same but I think of it as similar to an Executive Order. In this case the OIC changed the classification of a number of firearms and other items (including AR-15 _upper_ receivers) to prohibited so they can no longer be transported or used, but it didn't actually change any legislation.

Various people and organizations are trying to figure out how to attack this, at least in part due to the wording which *seems* to prohibit certain shotguns with interchangeable chokes because the barrel diameter with the choke not installed is greater than 20mm. Hopefully that part will get corrected but in the meantime it may help to wake up the hunters and clay shooters.

We have nothing like the 2A here so our best hope is regime change, and the first step on that very long road is to identify the leader of the (prospective) new regime.

Wendell
05-10-2020, 08:06 PM

It all stems from this phrase: "...The Governor in Council may make regulations..." (See section 117 of the Firearms Act (https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/f-11.6/index.html).)

"Governor in Council", as I understand it, means cabinet, the group of ministers which includes those members' who hold a portfolio (or, in other words, primary reponsibility for a particular department or agency) and the party leader (the 'Prime Minister').

An "Order In Council" (or 'OIC') might be compared to a Presidential executive order. In Canada, as I understand it, where an OIC is an option, all they need do is sign it, publish it in the federal government's newspaper, "The Canada Gazette", and then - BOOM! - it's law.

Malamute
05-10-2020, 10:37 PM
If this goes into effect, how many of the parts can be used in a manually operated rifle?

Are the Ruger precision rifles legal in Canada? At the least, rather than losing an entire gun, most or all the parts should be usable to convert or build a manually operated rifle as are used in England.

olstyn
05-10-2020, 10:53 PM
It all stems from this phrase: "...The Governor in Council may make regulations..." (See section 117 of the Firearms Act (https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/f-11.6/index.html).)

Wow, at least on skimming that, the powers given to the PM by that act seem *very* broad. Could be a tough fight for you guys. :(

Wendell
05-14-2020, 07:46 PM
A former neighbour of the gunman behind last month's mass shooting in Nova Scotia says she reported his domestic violence and cache of firearms to the RCMP years ago and ended up leaving the community herself due to fears of his violence. Brenda Forbes said that in the summer of 2013, she told police about reports that Gabriel Wortman had held down and beaten his common-law spouse behind one of the properties he owned in Portapique, a coastal community west of Truro. "He had her on the ground, was strangling her ... He was beating on her," she said of the account she heard, saying there were three male witnesses. "On that incident, I called the RCMP and I told them what happened, and I said he has a bunch of illegal weapons, and I know because he showed them to us," said Forbes, who has since moved outside the province. She said that in response to her complaint, the RCMP interviewed her while she was working at a cadet camp in Debert, N.S., and she retold the story. She said she encouraged one of the three witnesses to give his account to police, but he refused, saying he feared violence from Wortman.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/mass-shooting-nova-scotia-firearms-gun-violence-1.5567330

Snapshot
05-15-2020, 01:12 PM
A former neighbour of the gunman behind last month's mass shooting in Nova Scotia says she reported his domestic violence and cache of firearms to the RCMP years ago ... She said she encouraged one of the three witnesses to give his account to police, but he refused, saying he feared violence from Wortman.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/mass-shooting-nova-scotia-firearms-gun-violence-1.5567330

So this is more incompetence / negligence by RCMP and more alleged criminal behaviour by the shooter dating back years prior to the tragedy. RCMP did not act on this report to seize the firearms and/or prosecute the alleged assault from 2015, eventually he goes on shooting / arson spree in 2020, and the Trudeau regime takes advantage of the tragedy to issue the OIC which penalizes people that have done nothing wrong with regard to their use of firearms.

To me this is even worse than their tactical incompetence during the shooting spree which included failing to use the emergency notification system and shooting up a fire station for reasons that I still don't understand.

Totem Polar
05-29-2020, 06:39 PM
Most signed petition in Canada's history.

Wendell
12-10-2020, 01:45 AM
A Nova Scotia judge agreed Wednesday to make some of the previously redacted information available, including details about the calibres of the firearms used and the fact RCMP searched the gunman's properties for grenades.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/gunman-illegal-weapons-portapique-two-rifles-two-pistols-1.5834765