PDA

View Full Version : Talk me out of a Spyderco Resilience

LittleLebowski
04-29-2020, 09:59 PM
Go on, do it.

blues
04-29-2020, 10:01 PM
Go on, do it.

Buy one of their knives made in Golden, CO. You're welcome.

LittleLebowski
04-29-2020, 10:02 PM

Was that a jump or don’t jump?

blues
04-29-2020, 10:04 PM
Was that a jump or don’t jump?

Resilience is made in China. I'm recommending the USA made knives. So, no jump.

Clusterfrack
04-29-2020, 10:05 PM
That's a big knife: 4.2" blade, 5.2 folded. And it's made of Chinesium. So, I agree. No go.

Clusterfrack
04-29-2020, 10:09 PM
How about a Manix 2 LW in P-F Orange? A little more $, though.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco-Manix-2-Lightweight-Ball--106181

LittleLebowski
04-29-2020, 10:10 PM

Sheez, that’s retired federal LE pricing, not forum owner pricing :(

blues
04-29-2020, 10:17 PM
I think I've been mocked...by the Dude... :eek:

DDTSGM
04-29-2020, 10:19 PM
Never mind - not one of the boys - LOL - well frack, how do you remove attachments....

mmc45414
04-29-2020, 10:19 PM
I have one, I usually grab it when I suspect I might be in a position to abuse something.

But i am not a connoisseur and not that knowledgeable about the blade metals and such. I have a handful of the cheap Chinese Spydercos in various sizes, and am also starting to accumulate some of the nicer domestic ones, including a Para, and they are nicer but are priced accordingly.

As far as the size, clipped in the back pocket I think the size helps keep it in place. It is not cool, but it is handy.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

LittleLebowski
04-29-2020, 10:21 PM
I think I've been mocked...by the Dude... :eek:

Absolutely or. I just find it easier to drop $57 on an impulse purchase than twice as much.

drummer
04-29-2020, 10:23 PM
The Golden Spydercos are a great bargain. I love the Manix...the Caged Ball Lock is pure genius. So slick, easy to open while being incredibly durable.

The Golden Natives and Paras are also great knives for a good price.

blues
04-29-2020, 10:28 PM
Absolutely or. I just find it easier to drop $57 on an impulse purchase than twice as much.

Just cut back on the bidets, generators, harbor freight gear for a couple hours and it'll pay for itself. ;)

Maple Syrup Actual
04-29-2020, 10:30 PM
I carry one daily as my main utility knife. Country of origin aside, from a purely utilitarian perspective I love it. Today I try to prioritize gear built in ally countries but then, I'm also the sole income earner in my family so I get having to make those choices.

Anyway it's an excellent knife. I love the shallow, flat grind. Slices like crazy.53072

Mark D
04-29-2020, 10:56 PM

Yeah, get this one. I have one, it's great.

I'm a huge Spyderco fan , ever since buying my first Delica in 2000. But I won't buy their imported knives.

Yung
04-29-2020, 11:45 PM
Not really a knife guy. But I do carry this one for utility.

https://quietcarry.com/collections/the-chase

Duelist
04-29-2020, 11:57 PM
I have a Tenacious, slightly smaller than the Resilience. It is an excellent knife at a great price. It lives in my hiking/hunting pack. Slices great, good steel, strong knife.

I also have a Manix that I got LNIB from an estate liquidation sale. I don’t know if I would have spent the money for it at retail, but it is a great knife, too. And it has a really cool lock, in an interesting steel.

All that said, I usually carry the Sage Titanium Sidheshooter sold me a few years ago. More appropriate for the environment I work in and clothes I usually wear. I love the Delica, too. I’ve had one that was all stainless, and have one now with a wharnecliffe blade and nylon handle.

If I’m not carrying a Case slipjoint, and lots of times when I am, I’m carrying a medium-to-large Spyderco pretty much everywhere, all the time.

Duelist
04-29-2020, 11:59 PM
Not really a knife guy. But I do carry this one for utility.

https://quietcarry.com/collections/the-chase

Ooh. That’s really nice-looking.

vcdgrips
04-30-2020, 01:35 AM
The quietcarry stuff is quite handsome. Having said that it took me about 5-10 mins to find out where they made their knives (Taiwan) after looking in the “about” and “faqs” sections did not yield the answer on their website. Perhaps it is simply late and I missed it.

To the OP, I am avoiding buying Chinese if I can do so with a minimum of fuss/hassle/extra expense i.e. knives in the 50 to 100 space. I vote no.

I am keenly aware that will not be possible when I buy my next iPhone etc.

LittleLebowski
04-30-2020, 07:49 AM
The quietcarry stuff is quite handsome. Having said that it took me about 5-10 mins to find out where they made their knives (Taiwan) after looking in the “about” and “faqs” sections did not yield the answer on their website. Perhaps it is simply late and I missed it.

To the OP, I am avoiding buying Chinese if I can do so with a minimum of fuss/hassle/extra expense i.e. knives in the 50 to 100 space. I vote no.

I am keenly aware that will not be possible when I buy my next iPhone etc.

I think we all agree with you.

Yung
04-30-2020, 08:01 AM
Pretty much all QuietCarry's products begin as kickstarters, so that may also be why there is not a lot of info.

Blades
04-30-2020, 08:07 AM

I miss my LW Manix; great knife, a feather in your pocket but big enough to use hard if needed. Plus, I've read good things about the CPM-Rex 45 steel. It's worth the extra impulse. :D

Joe S
04-30-2020, 08:08 AM
I carry one daily as my main utility knife.

misanthropist , thoughts on use in FGEI or RGEI? Or non-issue, because there's the CP hanging around for that?

critter
04-30-2020, 08:15 AM
<subliminal>
Do it! Do it! Fuck it! Buy it!
</subliminal>

mmc45414
04-30-2020, 08:23 AM
I have a Tenacious, slightly smaller than the Resilience.
I have one also, but I also have a Para (very nice) and the Resilience, so it seems to not get much use now, but since it is not worth much I will probably hang onto it. If I want something nice I go with the Para, if I might need a crowbar I end up with the Resilience.

I also have a Persistence, and with the clip removed it rides pretty well in the hip pocket of dress slacks, or jeans if you are doing something where you do not want to be that guy with the knife clipped to his pocket. I also have a Para3 now, and it might get the clip removed and replace the Persistence in that role. This will require me to resume a daily routine that occasionally requires slacks, so no rush on that. I also frequently clip my Para inside my elastic shorts and maybe the Para3 might be nicer in that role.

I cheaped out on a few of the shitty Chinese knives in an effort to see what works when/where. I also bought them when I was paying off some debt, now I can systematically upgrade here and there. One thing about knives is until you reach the level of refinement of blues you can buy yourself a nice treat for less than a pistol costs.

blues
04-30-2020, 08:26 AM
One thing about knives is until you reach the level of refinement of blues you can buy yourself a nice treat for less than a pistol costs.

My high end buying days are pretty much behind me. I mostly just buy Spydercos for the pocket the last couple of years. The rest of the stuff either gets held on to, occasionally sold, and some given away for one reason or another.

LittleLebowski
04-30-2020, 08:31 AM
<subliminal>
Do it! Do it! Fuck it! Buy it!
</subliminal>

The voice of the maple leaf earlier in this thread told me to do it.

Gray Ghost
04-30-2020, 08:53 AM
Say no to ChiCom gear. I EDC a Delica with a stainless steel handle. Made in Seki City Japan. I have been carrying Delicas in one form or another since about 1995.

Maple Syrup Actual
04-30-2020, 08:59 AM
misanthropist , thoughts on use in FGEI or RGEI? Or non-issue, because there's the CP hanging around for that?

I hadn't ever thought about it precisely for the reason you mention: I always have a CP on me, or, when in shorts and beltless, I have recently begun to carry the crazy CRKT klingon-decepticon thing which I admit is kind of silly but it's just so freaking cool. And for a front-pocket kerambit it works pretty well.

Anyway handling the Resilience right now, both FGEI and RGEI lock in pretty solid and I can go to FGEI really well from opening. RGEI the transition is super awkward just because of the size of the knife and I would never try it one-handed while getting tossed around by anyone that could toss me around, it'd go airborne for sure.

I bought it for use as a big slicer for practical tasks (and because I couldn't find my Endura) and in that role it works really well. As a foldable pocket kitchen knife, it's amazing - the proportions of the blade are kind of like a mini-chef's knife. Could you shank somebody with it? Hell yes; despite being a devotee of the Clinch Pick I think in general people really overthink knives as cutting and stabbing tools: it's a wedge where some of the bits are skinny enough to squish them between other things. Run what you brung, it's fine. But it's definitely not optimized for defensive use. The G10 is plenty grippy, though, and I have never had issues with it slipping around in my hand. I can hold it in pretty much any configuration and stick it through some heavy stiff plastic I have here without ever feeling like it might move in my hand; a more slippery knife I wouldn't be doing this with.

I also don't have the issue with it that some liner locks do where you can accidentally work the lock loose by drilling with the knife tip etc. Some liner locks I can disengage by working the knife around in my hand, the same way a soft holster can trip a trigger, the meat just flops around the lock and you can pop it loose. But this one is deep enough that I can't get it to trip so I'm very confident in the knife staying open.

My only complaint is that it's from China, other than that I think for everything but RGEI fighting it's a terrific knife.

blues
04-30-2020, 09:17 AM
Dude, think of how Walter's going to feel after lying belly down in the mud of Vietnam only to have you buy a Chinese Spyderco. Oh, the horror.

Next thing you know, you'll be advocating rolling on shabbos. ;)

Navin Johnson
04-30-2020, 10:38 AM
OP what will be its primary use (honest)?

LittleLebowski
04-30-2020, 10:49 AM
OP what will be its primary use (honest)?

It's already bought.

Clusterfrack
04-30-2020, 10:53 AM
You'll be happy with it. The Chinese Spydercos are really good.

Maple Syrup Actual
04-30-2020, 11:08 AM
I agree, you'll like it a lot. I love the way the blade comes right down to the grip - you get loads of cutting edge, with that extremely controllable section for reverse-grip paring type functions right where a big useless choil would be on a lot of knives.

There's a lot of good stuff you can say about it as a knife, I find mine incredibly handy. It's big, that's the only thing I can really see as a technical issue. If you have small hands it would be hard to manipulate, I guess. But the knife itself is very, very good.

Mister X
04-30-2020, 06:16 PM
I have been carrying Delicas in one form or another since about 1995.

Same here, but I’ve carried the exact same Gen 1 Delica(C11SAF) since I bought it new all those years ago.

JCS
04-30-2020, 06:30 PM
It’s made in China. That’s really the only reason one needs not to buy it.

Personally, I love Spyderco’s but I am done buying any knives made in China and don’t want to give money to their government.

If you really want a Spyderco I would save for a golden,Co one or go with an American produced knife.

Gray Ghost
04-30-2020, 06:48 PM
Same here, but I’ve carried the exact same Gen 1 Delica(C11SAF) since I bought it new all those years ago.

Was that the one with the plastic clip? I acquired one in the Spring of 1995 and lost it in the back of a New York City cab sometime in 1998. A few years later in 2001, I took the Insights Training Center Defensive Folding knife class, which led me to acquire a pair of the next generation ones with the reversible clips and nondescript periwinkle handles. I still have those.

Mister X
04-30-2020, 06:58 PM
Was that the one with the plastic clip? I acquired one in the Spring of 1995 and lost it in the back of a New York City cab sometime in 1998. A few years later in 2001, I took the Insights Training Center Defensive Folding knife class, which led me to acquire a pair of the next generation ones with the reversible clips and nondescript periwinkle handles. I still have those.

Yes, it has the integral clip. It’s the thicker variation which I’ve never had any problems with myself although there were many reports about them breaking and losing tension. It also has a G2/Gin-1 black coated blade and I also have its Endura counterpart(C10SAF). I have quite a few Gen 1 Spyderco’s NIB, but those two are the only ones I use and carry.

Lester Polfus
04-30-2020, 07:20 PM
On the Resiliance, do the screws that attache the clip thread into the metal liner, or the plastic scales?

I carried a Griptillian for over 10 years. I suspect I left it in a rental car.* Since then I've been toting a cheap import waved Kershaw. I actually don't mind it but after about six months the screws that thread into the plastic handle are loose, and un-tightenable.

* The two 20 year old guys at the rental car place disavowed any knowledge of finding my $100 knife...

mmc45414
04-30-2020, 07:38 PM
On the Resiliance, do the screws that attach the clip thread into the metal liner, or the plastic scales?
Metal Liner:

vcdgrips
04-30-2020, 07:42 PM
I am beginning to think knife clearly exceeds the intersection of quality and value.

Duelist
04-30-2020, 08:16 PM
On the Resiliance, do the screws that attache the clip thread into the metal liner, or the plastic scales?

I carried a Griptillian for over 10 years. I suspect I left it in a rental car.* Since then I've been toting a cheap import waved Kershaw. I actually don't mind it but after about six months the screws that thread into the plastic handle are loose, and un-tightenable.

* The two 20 year old guys at the rental car place disavowed any knowledge of finding my $100 knife...

They’re G10 scales, and the screws reach the steel to the inside of the steel liners.

LittleLebowski
04-30-2020, 08:28 PM
I am beginning to think knife clearly exceeds the intersection of quality and value.

You mean “this knife” or “knife the idea” :D

This knife was only $57 shipped (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004AWOLV8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). I’m glad I listened to the Voice of the Maple Leaf instead of Clusterfrack’s malevolent machinations against my wallet.

vcdgrips
04-30-2020, 08:52 PM
That knife. That is a ton of knife for 60 max in your hand.

blues
04-30-2020, 08:59 PM

This knife was only $57 shipped (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004AWOLV8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). I’m glad I listened to the Voice of the Maple Leaf instead of Clusterfrack’s malevolent machinations against my wallet.

Did I just wake up in a parallel universe where LittleLebowski is Suze Orman? How long have I been asleep?

#ripvanwinkle

Clusterfrack
04-30-2020, 09:05 PM

I will FUCK UP your wallet. When I'm done with it, there will be nothing but ATM receipts and overdrawn credit cards. Your wallet will be skinnier than a tweaker ho. It won't even have a condom in it because it already reused it 12 times for $5 blow jobs. Your wallet doesn't even remember what a $20 bill looks like.

wvincent
04-30-2020, 10:00 PM
I will FUCK UP your wallet. When I'm done with it, there will be nothing but ATM receipts and overdrawn credit cards. Your wallet will be skinnier than a tweaker ho. It won't even have a condom in it because it already reused it 12 times for $5 blow jobs. Your wallet doesn't even remember what a $20 bill looks like.

Fucker! JK
You just made Coke Zero come out of my nose!! NOT Kidding.

Hey, let's go to Vegas or go gun shopping, could be fun!!;)

Duelist
05-01-2020, 08:34 PM
One thing I really like about my Tenacious, besides that I got it for, IIRC, $40 on a sale, is that as good a knife as it is, it was inexpensive enough (while not being a Byrd) and replaceable enough that I was willing to experiment a little. I got this knife as a less expensive spare to my stainless handled Delica, which was a knife I wanted for years and years after my karate teacher showed me the first Spyderco I’d ever seen when I was 18.

I used this knife for a few months, and decided that it need a bit different edge geometry to be the slicer its profile and full flat grind gave it the potential to be.

I’ve made knives as a hobby since I was a little kid: my dad is a not famous but skilled bladesmith. Re-profiling a blade, or changing edge geometry, or removing buggered serrations and making a plain edge, none of that stuff intimidates me at all. Making the edge convex took a very short time and a huge difference.

So this is what my edge looks like now:

It made quite a nice inexpensive knife with a lot of potential into a great slicer. I have a number of other knives, many much more valuable than this one, but it still gets carried from time to time, and lives in my hiking/hunting bag as the deer cleaner/fuzz stick maker/spare to whatever else I’m carrying/go bag stuff.

Every size I’ve seen in this series is just as nice, and I predict LL is going to enjoy his new blade.

Crawls
05-02-2020, 07:25 PM
I carry one daily as my main utility knife. Country of origin aside, from a purely utilitarian perspective I love it. Today I try to prioritize gear built in ally countries but then, I'm also the sole income earner in my family so I get having to make those choices.

Anyway it's an excellent knife. I love the shallow, flat grind. Slices like crazy.53072

I have the Tenacious, the smaller brother to the Resilience. I bought it as a cheap way it to figure out why Spyderco fans were so fanatical about the ergonomics. I now have a dozen or so other Spyderco knifes around the house.

Most of my other Spydercos are from Golden or the Taichung plant which both produce some fantastic pocket knives.
I still love the Tenacious though. It's cheap (I think I paid $34). And unlike a bunch of the other Spydercos, the Resiliance, Tenacious and Ambitious lack a finger choir on the blade and consequentially pack a whole lot more usable blade. It's just a sharp edge from tip to handle. No choil or guard. I love it. I wish Spyderco would do a sprint run of the Tenacious or Risiliance in Golden with a higher end steel

ETA: Just so it's clear - I support your decision to buy the Resilience.

Chuck Whitlock
05-04-2020, 08:18 PM
It’s made in China. That’s really the only reason one needs not to buy it.

Personally, I love Spyderco’s but I am done buying any knives made in China and don’t want to give money to their government.

So, are we pissing all over Shivworks China Picks, too?

Duelist
05-04-2020, 08:23 PM
So, are we pissing all over Shivworks China Picks, too?

Nope. My China Pick is a good knife, too.

Yung
05-05-2020, 01:33 AM
I don't have the entangled skills to justify a clinch pick, but if I did, I'd probably buy one of Ban Tang's.

5pins
05-05-2020, 05:29 AM
I have not bought a Chinese made knife if decades. Knives are a disposable income purchase and I try my best not to give my disposable income to china. There are plenty of U.S. and other affordable knife options available.

Wondering Beard
05-05-2020, 10:11 AM
I don't have the entangled skills to justify a clinch pick, but if I did, I'd probably buy one of Ban Tang's.

You don't need them, it's a really practical little knife.

BillSWPA
05-05-2020, 12:14 PM
SouthNarc tried to have the Clinch Pick made in the US, but could not find anyone to make it at reasonable cost or without a big upfront payment from him (I do not know specifically who he consulted).

He is not the only knife designer to find himself in that situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LittleLebowski
05-19-2020, 09:39 AM
My Resilience tasted blood last night, cut a layer of my index finger off whilst cutting cheese. I blame maple syrup for this.

blues
05-19-2020, 09:42 AM
Revenge of the Wuhan!

LittleLebowski
05-19-2020, 10:05 AM
Revenge of the Wuhan!

Reported for racism.

Clusterfrack
05-19-2020, 10:08 AM
My Resilience tasted blood last night, cut a layer of my index finger off whilst cutting cheese. I blame maple syrup for this.

Wait, why were you mixing maple syrup and cheese?

Maple Syrup Actual
05-19-2020, 10:08 AM
Oh no! He's gone FROGBACK!!!

blues
05-19-2020, 10:09 AM
Reported for racism.

It's a slippery...never mind...

Mea culpa. Mea maxima culpa.

LittleLebowski
05-19-2020, 10:25 AM
Wait, why were you mixing maple syrup and cheese?

I crossed the streams :(

Clusterfrack
05-19-2020, 10:30 AM
I crossed the streams :(

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200519/c050da911c369112f0f70eb24361f351.jpg

newyork
05-19-2020, 10:57 AM
Ever have a monte Christo? French toast sandwich with ham and cheese covered in powdered sugar and syrup. Salt and sweet baby!

LittleLebowski
05-20-2020, 04:18 PM
It’s actually worse than it looks, but blues assures me that the cut would have been much deeper and therefore more betterer if I’d only bought a Manix 2 (https://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Manix-Plain-Folding-Translucent/dp/B0051HLOV6/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2RD21DLGTI1GF&dchild=1&keywords=manix+2&qid=1590009474&sprefix=Manix+%2Caps%2C153&sr=8-2).

vcdgrips
05-20-2020, 04:20 PM
What happened LL?

Clusterfrack
05-20-2020, 04:29 PM
It’s actually worse than it looks...

Yikes! Although it could be even worse... my ex-Ranger buddy was at a fancy dinner at his former girlfriend’s house. She had told him he had to be on his best behavior for the guests. While she was entertaining them, he was making a salad in the kitchen. He cut the tips off his left middle and ring fingers, and yelled “Jesus motherfucking Christ!” while spraying blood all over the kitchen wall and ceiling. The larger fingertip flew into the air, and the girlfriend’s Labrador ate it. Party was ruined, and the girlfriend wouldn’t sleep in the same room with the dog anymore because it “had a taste for human flesh”.

blues
05-20-2020, 04:29 PM
It’s actually worse than it looks, but blues assures me that the cut would have been much deeper and therefore more betterer if I’d only bought a Manix 2 (https://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Manix-Plain-Folding-Translucent/dp/B0051HLOV6/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2RD21DLGTI1GF&dchild=1&keywords=manix+2&qid=1590009474&sprefix=Manix+%2Caps%2C153&sr=8-2).

Now you look (somewhat) like a ten day old Jewish male...

...SNIP!...

blues
05-20-2020, 04:32 PM
I was polishing my ax, (not a euphemism), when my wife walked in the door and I looked up to say hello, and the next thing I said was "well I'll be at the doctor's office getting stitched up". Took about 15 stitches in the back of my right thumb...from the nail to the joint.

My left index finger had a nice chunk grafted back on after a miscreant swung a knife at me and I was too stupid to jump back, but instead tried to parry.

I feel your pain, LL.

LittleLebowski
05-20-2020, 04:35 PM
What happened LL?

I was cutting Gouda cheese and my finger was in the wrong place, plus the blade sailed right through that block of cheese. Happily, MapleSyrupActual (https://pistol-forum.com/member.php?1426-misanthropist) been sending positive thoughts and support.

vcdgrips
05-20-2020, 04:37 PM
Your new Spyderco did that?!?

Get better.
D

Maple Syrup Actual
05-20-2020, 04:55 PM
I was cutting Gouda cheese and my finger was in the wrong place, plus the blade sailed right through that block of cheese. Happily, MapleSyrupActual (https://pistol-forum.com/member.php?1426-misanthropist) been sending positive thoughts and support.

I would like to formally request a username change to Maple Syrup Actual

blues
05-20-2020, 04:57 PM

Watch your six, Maple. Things are about to get sticky.

LittleLebowski
05-20-2020, 05:17 PM

Done!

Maple Syrup Actual
05-20-2020, 05:17 PM
Oh man, that's amazing

LittleLebowski
05-20-2020, 05:26 PM
Oh man, that's amazing

Sweet, like...

blues
05-20-2020, 05:30 PM
Oh man, that's amazing

https://www.ucanada.com/images/thumbs/0005334_jakemans-pure-maple-syrup-canada-grade-a-amber-100ml_320.jpeg

"Alas, poor Misanthropist!...I knew him, Horatio..."

WDR
05-20-2020, 05:43 PM
Done!

Damn!

blues
05-20-2020, 05:57 PM
And just like that, man's inhumanity to man was gone in an instant...

Duelist
05-20-2020, 06:14 PM
Told ya! It’s a slicer!

revchuck38
05-20-2020, 06:59 PM

Roses are red and violets are purple,
Sugar is sweet and so is maple syrple...

mmc45414
05-20-2020, 08:02 PM
Yikes! Although it could be even worse...
This has me crying, while I recollect the evening three of us repeatedly cut ourselves with a potato slicer, with the worst wound being suffered by my friend who first uttered "Give me that thing, you fucking pussies!!!!!!!"

I can neither confirm nor deny that we may, or may not have been cooking at home because we had determined, after a long day in the garage, that we were too shitfaced to go out...

awp_101
05-20-2020, 08:12 PM
Staying ever so slightly on topic, how does one determine if a Spyderco is US or Chinese made? Doing just a quick look, I don't see the info in Amazon or Blade HQ descriptions.

blues
05-20-2020, 08:14 PM
Staying ever so slightly on topic, how does one determine if a Spyderco is US or Chinese made? Doing just a quick look, I don't see the info in Amazon or Blade HQ descriptions.

On Blade HQ if you scroll down and hit the "more details" or something like that, it will tell you country of origin. USA, China, Taiwan, Japan, Italy etc

Clusterfrack
05-20-2020, 08:19 PM
"Give me that thing, you fucking pussies!!!!!!!"

Nothing good ever comes after those words. Or after "Hey, watch this."

awp_101
05-20-2020, 08:21 PM
On Blade HQ if you scroll down and hit the "more details" or something like that, it will tell you country of origin. USA, China, Taiwan, Japan, Italy etc

Thanks! I'd expanded the description but I missed the "show all specs" tab.

mmc45414
05-20-2020, 08:25 PM
how does one determine if a Spyderco is US or Chinese made?

Also, I think if it costs very much more than $50 it is probably not Chinese?

UNM1136
05-20-2020, 08:35 PM

I have found recently that the sales websites contradict themselves regularly with country of origin. Spyderco forums might work better.

Both my Resilience and my Original Military went MIA this year. One was a gift, and the other a $200 knife that I bought in the old Spyderco Outlet in Golden, after meeting Sal, and having a Factory tour with Vince, their chief engineer, and meeting Patrick Glesser. Who I blame for my love of VG10 wherever possible. Both will be replaced this year but one significanly sooner than the other. The Military is my favorited EDC folder. The Resilience will be carried at work, because it is so much easier to replace.

I am sure one or both of those knives made it into my daughter's room, never to be seen again.

pat

Half Moon
05-20-2020, 08:45 PM
The Spyderco site also has origin under something like 'technical specs' or such on the page for each particular knife.

blues
05-20-2020, 08:54 PM
Also, I think if it costs very much more than $50 it is probably not Chinese?

Some of the Taichung (Taiwan) knives are quite expensive. Hundreds.

LittleLebowski
05-20-2020, 09:24 PM

Ask blues, duh.

mmc45414
05-20-2020, 09:25 PM
I probably shoulda been more specific, PRC.

Parf
05-20-2020, 09:58 PM
And just like that, man's inhumanity to man was gone in an instant...
How many times can I like this post?

Duelist
05-21-2020, 11:26 AM

China is China, Taiwan just speaks Chinese.

All of the Tenacious line and the Byrd line are/were made in China. All the rest come from a number of places: Seki City, Japan; Taichung, Taiwan; Golden Colorado, USA, Earth; there are probably other places they have or will have blades made.

I have some of each. All are good.

LittleLebowski
10-19-2020, 10:18 AM

You were right. My PM2 and a sweet Benchmade Tom Jones gifted me are both noticeably easier to sharpen and don't roll the edge so readily like the Resilience.

Nephrology
10-19-2020, 11:45 AM
You were right. My PM2 and a sweet Benchmade Tom Jones gifted me are both noticeably easier to sharpen and don't roll the edge so readily like the Resilience.

The Golden made PM2 is one of my favorite knives of all time.

I used to have two and sold my extra. Vaguely regret doing that...

RevolverRob
10-19-2020, 12:02 PM
Knifecenter and BladeHQ both separate out Spyderco models by origin location. You can also just check Spyderco's website.

FWIW - I have nothing but good things to say about Golden-made and Seki City-made Spydercos. I haven't tried the Taiwanese-made knives, but my understanding is they are as good as the Seki.

Still, for my money, I prefer USA or Japanese-made steel. Seki City has such a strong knife making tradition and half a dozen US-based brands and several European brands use Seki City makers.

All that said, I'm liking the Italian-made DPx HEST I got from Tom Jones. The grind is nice and symmetrical and D2 is a favorite steel of mine (right behind the many iterations of ATS34/CPM154/154CM/RWL34).

Jared
10-19-2020, 04:50 PM
Knifecenter and BladeHQ both separate out Spyderco models by origin location. You can also just check Spyderco's website.

FWIW - I have nothing but good things to say about Golden-made and Seki City-made Spydercos. I haven't tried the Taiwanese-made knives, but my understanding is they are as good as the Seki.

Still, for my money, I prefer USA or Japanese-made steel. Seki City has such a strong knife making tradition and half a dozen US-based brands and several European brands use Seki City makers.

All that said, I'm liking the Italian-made DPx HEST I got from Tom Jones. The grind is nice and symmetrical and D2 is a favorite steel of mine (right behind the many iterations of ATS34/CPM154/154CM/RWL34).

+1 on the Seki City Spydies. I’ve got more of them than anything else, but it’s also very likely I have a Delica/Endura problem. I love that pattern. I think the Golden CO made Spydies May be a pinch better, mostly because you get some better lock options and S30V is probably a better base steel than VG-10, but I’ll never turn my nose up at a Japanese Spyderco.

Come to think of it, when my dad asked me to pick him out a Spyderco to buy, I handed him one of my Delicas first, because I knew that was about the size he’d like. He ordered one within the hour.

Exiledviking
10-20-2020, 01:43 AM
I'm a Spyderco junkie. The Spyderco knives coming out of the Taichung (Taiwan) factory have been exemplary. Some Spyderco fans say that they're even better than the Golden knives.
The Taichung Spyderco knives I have came with the best sharpening I've seen on Spyderco knives.

Redhat
10-21-2020, 07:23 PM
I'm a Spyderco junkie. The Spyderco knives coming out of the Taichung (Taiwan) factory have been exemplary. Some Spyderco fans say that they're even better than the Golden knives.
The Taichung Spyderco knives I have came with the best sharpening I've seen on Spyderco knives.

What are some models they produce there?

FWIW, my favorite cheap knife is the Ontario Rat folder...made in Taiwan.

Exiledviking
10-21-2020, 07:56 PM
The ones I have first-hand experience with are the Spyderco Paysan, Amalgam, Smock, Southard, and Techno 2. All have been excellent.

Redhat
10-21-2020, 08:31 PM
The ones I have first-hand experience with are the Spyderco Paysan, Amalgam, Smock, Southard, and Techno 2. All have been excellent.

Thanks

Duelist
10-21-2020, 08:34 PM
What are some models they produce there?

FWIW, my favorite cheap knife is the Ontario Rat folder...made in Taiwan.

The Sage is made there as well.

Exiledviking
10-21-2020, 08:57 PM
The Sage is made there as well.The Sage keeps calling my name. One of these days...

Clusterfrack
10-21-2020, 10:09 PM
The Sage is made there as well.

My daughter’s Sage:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201022/bc69400b3167dd7295dac9068494e600.jpg

Equal quality to any of my US made Spydercos.

Duelist
10-21-2020, 10:24 PM
The Sage keeps calling my name. One of these days...

My daughter’s Sage:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201022/bc69400b3167dd7295dac9068494e600.jpg

Equal quality to any of my US made Spydercos.

One of my faves. I’ve carried a Sage 2 daily for the past several years.

mmc45414
11-13-2021, 09:07 PM
Used mine today to cut these frozen on plastic nuts under the MiL's sink. Would not have subjected my Para2 to this abuse.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211114/bb6e23ebcf4bd63f087c1bcf72b67769.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk