PDA

View Full Version : Wall Drill Question: Double Vision

ChrisG
05-23-2012, 01:03 PM
I'm a right handed, right eye dominant shooter (confirmed numerous times by various reputable instructors using various tests). I've recently started integrating the Wall Drill into my dryfire regimen, and I've found myself struggling with double vision when doing it as prescribed, against a blank wall less than 1" from the muzzle. Images from both eyes are present, and I have to consciously work to select the right one. I've never had this issue in live or dry fire at longer ranges. Is this normal and perhaps intended part of the drill, or do I have something weird going on?

EMC
05-23-2012, 01:27 PM
I'm a right handed, right eye dominant shooter (confirmed numerous times by various reputable instructors using various tests). I've recently started integrating the Wall Drill into my dryfire regimen, and I've found myself struggling with double vision when doing it as prescribed, against a blank wall less than 1" from the muzzle. Images from both eyes are present, and I have to consciously work to select the right one. I've never had this issue in live or dry fire at longer ranges. Is this normal and perhaps intended part of the drill, or do I have something weird going on?

Same thing happens to me if I try to maintain both eyes open sighting against the wall. I HAVE to at least partially close my less dominant eye to get the correct initial sight picture and allow that dominant eye to get "missile lock".

Sheep Have Wool
05-23-2012, 03:15 PM
This happens to me as well. If I align the sights with my dominant eye, though, it's much less pronounced.

ToddG
05-23-2012, 05:08 PM
Same thing happens to me if I try to maintain both eyes open sighting against the wall. I HAVE to at least partially close my less dominant eye to get the correct initial sight picture and allow that dominant eye to get "missile lock".

I'm the same. As much as I value the drill, I've taken to more traditional "slow fire with a tiny target across the room" for my dry fire accuracy stuff.

Sheep Have Wool
05-23-2012, 05:14 PM
I'm the same. As much as I value the drill, I've taken to more traditional "slow fire with a tiny target across the room" for my dry fire accuracy stuff.

Does this mean you've changed your dry fire routine (http://pistol-training.com/archives/5185) that you posted?

ChrisG
05-23-2012, 05:15 PM

Squinting the left eye works for me as well, but I'm concerned that I'll be training myself to shoot this way. I've never had an issue shooting pistols with both eyes open before. I'm debating either backing farther from the wall so that it's no longer an issue, or just work through the drill as written with both eyes open and try to train my mind to deal with the two images better.

ToddG
05-23-2012, 05:30 PM
Does this mean you've changed your dry fire routine (http://pistol-training.com/archives/5185) that you posted?

Insofar as how I do it personally, yes.

I think that for folks who are newer to shooting and/or folks who don't get the double vision issue, the Wall Drill is great.

dickmadison
05-29-2012, 02:31 PM
The dominance in my eyes are almost identical and lead to double vision a lot...an easy way to identify image to use is...it is always the one on the inside. So if you put sights up to your right eye and you see two images, it is the image on the left (inside image) that you should use.

jeffreywt
05-29-2012, 09:15 PM
The wall drill is one of the few times I can quickly get a hard focus on the front sight with both eyes wide open. I guess I'm the opposite of the OP.

I am trying to break the habit of target focus or having to squint for front sight focus but it's been really tough going so far. If I focus on my front sight without squinting, I get a double rear sight and double targets. :(