PDA

View Full Version : Getting Your Glasses Right For Farsighted People

cclaxton
05-22-2012, 08:56 PM
I have recently gone through another round with my Optometrist and I am now convinced he doesn't understand how to do glasses for shooting....it seems to be a real speciality. He is a very good Optometrist and I got an excellent pair of progressive glasses for everyday wear, but he totally screwed up my shooting prescription last year.

After about nine months of using a very expensive Rudy Project shooting set and the progressive inserts, I tried removing the progressives and shooting with a pair of reading glasses I used behind the Rudy's. I had a dramatic improvement because I could see the front alignment better. I then went back to my Optometrist and complained. He wasn't going to give me a credit, but he did agree to adjust the prescription.

His first idea was to move to a pair of bifocal inserts for the Rudy's, but the hard-line would be just above the pupil, so when I held my head properly to aim the eyes would be perfectly focused for the frontsight and leave the distance a bit soft. I could then tilt my head down slightly to see distance. That was his best at the time. So, I placed the order for another pair of Rudy inserts in custom bifocal. My prescription for my left dominant eye was +1.75.

Then, I called a shooting friend of mine who raved about decot shooting glasses and that he loved his pair. I checked out the web site and then called him up and he told me that I was wasting my money with my regular Optometrist and he could make me a much better pair for handgun shooting. (Why I didn't call my friend before I went back to the Optometrist is sheer brain fart.)

First he told me the bifocals won't work because it takes too much time for my eyes to switch back and forth between distance and close. He did mention an inverted bifocal design he makes, but he told me that for farsightedness he typically takes the prescription for close/medium distance and reduces the prescription so that the shooter can still get a decent frontsight focus but still see enough of the detail in the distance. So, he would recommend going down to a +1-1.25 in the shooting eye. I then asked about adjusting the non-shooting eye for distance, so the left is +1.25 and the right is +.75 for distance. He said many shooters like this approach although some individuals cannot tolerate the difference (headaches, dizziness, etc.). Also, it reduces your ability to judge distances. (Although not sure why this would matter in IDPA since judging distance is not as critical as accuracy.)

I went back to my Optometrist and tried to cancel my order but he refused. He did, however, listen to my whole story and complaint and said he would redo the order to reflect my wishes. So, what I ordered is a pair of Rudy Project inserts with left eye set to +1.25 and right eye for distance +.75. I want to be able to see the bullet holes in my targets and this arrangement would let me do that.

I may ultimately order a pair of custom shooting glasses from decot http://www.decot.com/cart/products/6/Classic%20Hy-Wyd%20with%20HY-LO%20Bridge%20/%20Spring%20Hinge%20Temples.htm, but I will be trying the Rudy Project inserts for a while and let this thread know how it turned out.

On the Rudy's: I like the actual sunglasses with replaceable lenses and adjustable frames, however the prescription insert has a small wire frame and not optimal for shooting, especially for tactical shooting because you want a wide angle. If Rudy Project modifies their inserts, I think it would be a great combination. But I haven't tried out a pair of decot's yet, either.

More to come.
CC

MEH
05-22-2012, 09:12 PM
Not far sighted but I have had similar problems with Rudy inserts. Not with my optometrist but with the optician that makes the lenses. Finally, I just had my doc write a left eye for distance and the right eye for the front sight. She even had no problems with me bringing the gun out of the holster and measuring just to make sure of the prescription. Then I called up Smith Optics and ordered a pair. Two pair actually, one with both lenses at distance. They're great. I like the Rudy frames but not the price of the lenses and never could get the inserts made right. Smith did it right and are very affordable to boot.

Oh, be informed about the Decot's. They sell CR39 plastic with most orders which is not decent protection material. If you go with them insist on polycarbonate or Trivex if they'll do it.

JeffJ
05-23-2012, 07:37 AM
I hope that works out for you. I would find a new optometrist, sounds like he's not really interested in helping your problem. I know an opthamologist who has done a few pairs for guys (rifle shooters) and he tells them to bring their gun in so they can make sure it's right.

cutter
05-23-2012, 08:12 AM
+1 on the Decots, except for the CR39 plastic. I'm satisfied with the ones I have.

cclaxton
06-12-2012, 01:50 PM
Update on the Rudy Inserts:
My optometrist ordered me left side with 1.25 (with my astigmatism) and .75 right eye for distance (with my astigmatism). I am left-eye dominant.
Good news is that in sunlight I am shooting better and can sight better. Bad news is that indoors and low-light it is too soft.
Other good news is that I adapted to the different lenses easily...no headaches, no dizzyness, no side effects.

So, I am going back to optometrist to get my left eye adjusted to full 1.75 in the left eye and see how it goes. Hopefully he will do this at no charge.

Not quite ready for Decot's, but might get there soon. But I do like the design and changeable lenses and the small sized inserts are not really a problem for IDPA shooting.
CC