PDA

View Full Version : Scored a Beretta 92 SB Compact - anything I need to know?

SeriousStudent
04-26-2020, 12:16 PM
Buy first, ask later..... Story of my life.

So I scored a deal too good to pass up on a Beretta 92 SB Compact. It's going to get new parts/springs/TJIAB/mags courtesy of Langdon Tactical, of course.

Is there anything I need to be aware of, or any peculiarities of this particular model? I know the trigger guard has a different shape, so the holster will probably need to be a custom job. I'm planning on either DSG or JM Custom - they have always treated me right. :)

Thanks very much!

rd62
04-26-2020, 12:38 PM
Send it to me and I'll shoot the snot out of it (when I can find an open range) and I'll let ya know if there's anything you need to be on the lookout for.

I'm here to help! ;)

Trooper224
04-26-2020, 12:40 PM
anything I need to know?

That I'm jealous and you suck.

Does it have wood grips?

Sal Picante
04-26-2020, 01:45 PM
The SB is a nice gun. Blue Finish? Keep it oiled. No slide retaining pin (the smaller headed hammer pivot pins can sometimes be tougher to find), but unless you're shooting "Hot SMG ammo" and worry about your teeth, don't worry... :rolleyes:

Dark Star's Beretta AIWB holster (I forget the model name/number... "Orion?" "Cygnus?" "Gemini?" - something to do with stars....) should fit all the widths/trigger guards. I like that holster for that reason...

That said, I haven't had issues carrying a rounded trigger guard in my keepers holster (though the brig slides are too wide).

SSGN_Doc
04-26-2020, 02:42 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/NFN7GrxL/E91393-EB-53-C7-433-C-B1-C0-5-F18-AE573510.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

SeriousStudent
04-26-2020, 08:15 PM
Send it to me and I'll shoot the snot out of it (when I can find an open range) and I'll let ya know if there's anything you need to be on the lookout for.

I'm here to help! ;)

Hehehe - thank you for your kind offer of assistance - it is great appreciated. :)

SeriousStudent
04-26-2020, 08:17 PM
That I'm jealous and you suck.

Does it have wood grips?

Yes, it does have wood grips. Are they rare or something? Do you need them for a Beretta of yours?

I ordered a bunch of stuff from Langdon Tactical, including the thin G10 grips that I like so much.

SeriousStudent
04-26-2020, 08:19 PM
The SB is a nice gun. Blue Finish? Keep it oiled. No slide retaining pin (the smaller headed hammer pivot pins can sometimes be tougher to find), but unless you're shooting "Hot SMG ammo" and worry about your teeth, don't worry... :rolleyes:

Dark Star's Beretta AIWB holster (I forget the model name/number... "Orion?" "Cygnus?" "Gemini?" - something to do with stars....) should fit all the widths/trigger guards. I like that holster for that reason...

That said, I haven't had issues carrying a rounded trigger guard in my keepers holster (though the brig slides are too wide).

Excellent! :) As always, I truly appreciate your advice on the Beretta's. I'm probably going to snag one of your rear sights for it, if I'm brave enough to try and replace the existing rear. I really like the sight picture you created.

Trooper224
04-26-2020, 09:07 PM
Yes, it does have wood grips. Are they rare or something? Do you need them for a Beretta of yours?

I ordered a bunch of stuff from Langdon Tactical, including the thin G10 grips that I like so much.

I don't need them. It's just twice as sexy with wood, so you suck even more.

MattyD380
04-26-2020, 10:59 PM
I've always wanted an SB. I've never actually seen one in person... but that silvery, glossy blue finish just looks spectacular in pics.

Poconnor
04-27-2020, 07:12 AM
Post photos-better idea; sell it to me and I will post photos

SeriousStudent
04-27-2020, 09:23 AM
I will post pics when it arrives. It's in used condition, but I like guns with honest wear.

JonInWA
04-27-2020, 10:01 AM
Beautiful gun. I'd probably replace the locking block as PM, if it's not already on your parts list. I don't believe that the barrels of these are chromed, but in the overall scheme of things that's really probably not that big of a deal one way or another.

Going with LTT components is an excellent way to go. How are you fixed for magazines?

I'd also remove the extractor and throughly clean out the extractor and extractor channel.

If your blueing on the finish is in halfway decent shape, I'd go with a leather or horsehide holster to preserve it.

Congratulations on the nice score.

Best, Jon

Polecat
04-27-2020, 10:17 AM
Gotta show us some before and afters!

SeriousStudent
04-27-2020, 07:22 PM
Beautiful gun. I'd probably replace the locking block as PM, if it's not already on your parts list. I don't believe that the barrels of these are chromed, but in the overall scheme of things that's really probably not that big of a deal one way or another.

Going with LTT components is an excellent way to go. How are you fixed for magazines?

I'd also remove the extractor and throughly clean out the extractor and extractor channel.

If your blueing on the finish is in halfway decent shape, I'd go with a leather or horsehide holster to preserve it.

Congratulations on the nice score.

Best, Jon

Thank you, Jon! I always replace all the springs in a used pistol, and I keep a couple of spare Beretta locking block assemblies on hand. I swap them and the recoil spring every 5,000 rounds. Maybe a little overkill, but still cheap insurance.

That's definitely excellent advice about extractor cleaning. Wayne Dobbs taught me to replace/upgrade the extractor spring on certain pistols with a slightly more powerful model. I now make a point of adding a new spring on all used Beretta's.

I'll put up pics when it arrives, hopefully this weekend.