PDA

View Full Version : Revolver Reloads

66L
05-22-2012, 04:11 PM
For those that carry a revolver, what do you use to reload it? And equally important, how do you carry the reloads? Pictures would be a big help too.

Mitchell, Esq.
05-22-2012, 04:36 PM
http://snubtraining.com/

See his reload videos.

I have tried the Ayoob/FLETC reloads, and do not like breaking the firing grip on a weapon.

As to carrying ammo for a revolver, same way I carry mags, in holders in my pockets.

WDW
05-22-2012, 04:56 PM
When I do carry a revolver, which is only in the woods while hunting, I carry 2 reloads in Bianchi speed strips in my weak side pocket

TCinVA
05-22-2012, 07:53 PM
Of the options I've tried, I prefer Safariland's spring-loaded speed loaders, which I typically carry in the pocket on the support side. They hold on to the rounds securely during daily life in the pocket even when sharing space with keys and whatnot, and they are the fastest reload I've found as far as something that's suitable for unobtrusive daily carry.

WDW
05-22-2012, 08:07 PM
When I was issued a revolver @ work, I also used the spring loaded Safariland's. They were by far the fastest of the speed loaders I tried. Just pop, drop, & shoot. No twisting to worry about.

66L
05-22-2012, 09:46 PM
I have a couple of speed strips and HKS speed loaders. I spent the majority of the evening practicing with both ways of reloading and the HKS beats the speed strips hands down. They are for a K frame, but I'm finding them difficult to comfortably carry. The speed strips are easy to carry, but reloading under stress would be chaotic at best. I've never tried the spring loaded ones. Do you just drop them loose in your pocket or do you use some kind of holder for them. Belt carry isn't out of the question for me, but I have no idea what would work for a speed loader.

TGS
05-22-2012, 09:53 PM
When I carried a j-frame and/or SP101, I tried out an HKS speed-loader for a while using the FLETC style reload. I never felt enough control or coordination using a speed loader with my left hand ala deBethencourt; this could totally be a training issue. If I had decided to stay with the revolver and stay with speed loaders, I would have invested in some SL Variants after watching deBethencourt's videos.

Anyways, my reload with speed strips was slow.....reloading with speed-loaders was obviously faster and easier, but it was still slow and complex enough that I couldn't justify the bulk or expense of SL Variants. I ended up just carrying speed strips as an after-fight reload because of their low profile.

I don't have much desire to return to the revolver for carry purposes, but for some reason I'd really like to take my k-frame and go take some classes from guys like deBethencourt, HeadHunter and Mas simply to learn the ways of the revolver out of curiosity.

ETA: errr.....sorry, had to watch the videos again to remember what I used to do, and that it is not either the FLETC or deBethencourts non-hand transfer; it was a mix. I struck the ejector ala deBethencourt with support hand as it felt most confident, but then transferred hands and loaded with the strong hand because that felt most confident (my support hand was already at the cylinder, seemed most efficient). Probably closest to Ayoobs Stressfire.

KenpoTex
05-22-2012, 10:11 PM
When I carry a j-frame as a BUG, I usually just have a speed-strip in my back pocket. If I'm carrying the revolver as a primary, I carry a jet-loader in my weak-side pocket.

I use deBethencourt's method for the reload and find it to be pretty slick after a little practice.

66L
05-23-2012, 12:52 AM
I shoot a S&W 625 in competition and with that have always done the Miculek style of transferring it to my weak hand to empty, reloading strong hand, and transferring back. I do that with my carry revolver as well just out of muscle memory, but means I need my reloads on my strong side (right hand). I had not thought about putting speed strips in my back pocket. I guess my concern with that is rounds popping out and having sweat affect the rounds (I could break a sweat peeling an orange; summer is not a good time of year for me).

I also had a really good experience carrying the K frame AIWB, but in an outside the waist band holster. I'm not fat, but have enough of a mid section that it completely disappeared, was easy to access, and was far more comfortable for me than IWB holsters have been.

mark olindale
05-23-2012, 01:53 AM
When I'm carrying a revolver I keep to speed loaders with Hornady Critical defense ammo in my pocket. If I'm at the range I have the same speed loaders with a range block to make reloading even faster.

FotoTomas
05-23-2012, 04:42 AM
When I carry my Combat Magnum or Detective Special for personal defense it is on the strong side (my right) hip in an open top holster. Back when the revolver was my duty weapon I packed it in a Bianchi B-27K security holster. I generally carry one or two HKS speedloaders in a Safariland steel clip holder immediatly in front of the revolver now days but I had/have a leather basketweave triple pouch with flaps by Tex Shoemaker Leather for the duty rig. I reload by switching to my weak hand while unlocking the cylinder. I slap the rod with my strong hand and then go for the speed loader. Slide in the rounds and twist the knob. I then close the cylinder and let the speedloader drop while transferring it back to my strong hand and reengaging as necessary.

This was the technique I learned 30 plus years ago as a city cop and it has been very fast for me. Never needed it in a fight but have won some revolver matches reloading that way.

I have tried several different speedloaders over the years. The Safariland Comp I and Comp II I have in the revolver box now and like BUT the HKS has been my goto loader for so long that I prefer it. I have tried a Safariland Comp III at an ICORE match recently and might well buy a set to play with. They are IDPA approved and simply launched the rounds into the cylinder. Maybe even this old dog can learn a new trick. :)

Next time I take the Model 19 Combat Magnum to the range I plan to try a F.A.S.T. drill with it and see where I stand. Might try it as well with some different speedloaders to see how they do.

TCinVA
05-23-2012, 06:38 AM
Since DeBethencourt was mentioned, I'd highly recommend those who are able to get into some training with him because he still knows all those revolver-centric tips and tricks that the guys who had to tote them figured out over umpteen decades of use which are now largely forgotten as most of the world has moved on to semi-autos. Little things like the reasoning in how many rounds you carry in a speed strip or what "reloading" means in a revolver when someone is trying to kill you are not easily discerned just by shooting one.

jar
05-23-2012, 06:45 AM
Since DeBethencourt was mentioned, I'd highly recommend those who are able to get into some training with him because he still knows all those revolver-centric tips and tricks that the guys who had to tote them figured out over umpteen decades of use which are now largely forgotten as most of the world has moved on to semi-autos. Little things like the reasoning in how many rounds you carry in a speed strip or what "reloading" means in a revolver when someone is trying to kill you are not easily discerned just by shooting one.

I can generally spot someone who's trained with him by watching their first load with loose rounds or a speed strip.

ford.304
05-23-2012, 08:18 AM
I have to put in a strong recommendation for any of the Safariland speed loaders over the HKS. The difference of not having to brace the cylinder with your finger so it doesn't turn while you drop in the rounds is huge to me. Much less chance for a fumble.

I'm still looking for a speed loader holder that I can conceal well. I'm planning on giving the Safariland split six holders a shot. Right now I just put the loader in a pocket, but given that I have to choose between having the rounds scratch up my ipod, or having my keys scratch up the bullets... I'm really not happy with that option. I usually put it in a jacket pocket if I have one.

David Armstrong
05-23-2012, 09:56 AM
I tended to layer my revolver reloads. First would be a DeSantis 2x2x2 belt pouch, then a Second Six pouch with a speedloader. If I wasn't wearing a belt or didn't want anything extra on the belt then a Speed Strip in a pocket. If I was wearing a jacket I'd usually toss a couple of spare speedloaders in a pocket.

66L
05-23-2012, 03:43 PM
Think about having to do a reload with a partially full cylinder. Would it be faster to use a speed strip to replace just the rounds you shot, or dump them all in your hand, store the live rounds loose in a pocket, and use a speed loader to put in a fresh cylinder?

I'll practice that tonight and see which works best for me, but I'm wondering if anyone else has tried?

Al T.
05-23-2012, 04:44 PM
I reload by switching to my weak hand while unlocking the cylinder. I slap the rod with my strong hand and then go for the speed loader. Slide in the rounds and twist the knob. I then close the cylinder and let the speedloader drop while transferring it back to my strong hand and reengaging as necessary.

Me too. IIRC, that is the "StressFire" revolver reload by Ayoob.

66L, given the "fumble factor" with trying to top off a revolver, my thought would be to retain if two or more rounds are in the cylinder, full reload if not. *

* I'd also note that if I was dry and needed to reload using speed strips, I'd think hard about only loading 2 or 3 rounds as that's faster and gets you a (partially anyway) loaded firearm relatively quickly.

jar
05-23-2012, 05:37 PM
* I'd also note that if I was dry and needed to reload using speed strips, I'd think hard about only loading 2 or 3 rounds as that's faster and gets you a (partially anyway) loaded firearm relatively quickly.

That's the DeBethencourt idea that TC and I were talking about above. If you're only loading 2 or 3, do you put them next to eachother or spread out? Why?

TGS
05-23-2012, 06:27 PM
Me too. IIRC, that is the "StressFire" revolver reload by Ayoob.

That's the FLETC reload as described by Ayoob. I had to watch this a few times to find the proper names as well :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXUwI_d8JlA

TGS
05-23-2012, 08:09 PM
Thanks to this thread I just ordered 2 SL Variants for my Combat Magnum...

You bastards. ;)

jlw
05-23-2012, 08:47 PM
Have any of you run your revolver reloads on a timer. I'd like to see what kind of times y'all are running.

I've been practicing some for an upcoming revolver match, and the best I can do is around 3.2 seconds but feel like it would probably more like 3.5 or so when doing it for real if everything went right.

66L
05-23-2012, 09:39 PM
During a match it's taking me between 3.5-4 seconds consistently....but that's with moon clips. If I'm at home using a par time on the timer it's normally 2.5-3 seconds. What kind of revolver and what kind of loaders are you using?

66L
05-23-2012, 09:44 PM
That's the DeBethencourt idea that TC and I were talking about above. If you're only loading 2 or 3, do you put them next to eachother or spread out? Why?

I can't think of a reason you would want to skip chambers if you were only loading 2 or 3 rounds, so for me I would want them all together.

I tried the partial reload. It's much easier to dump all the rounds in your hand (live and empty) and store it, and then do a full load with the speed loader rather than pick out the empties and use a speed strip to fill them in.

jlw
05-23-2012, 09:53 PM
During a match it's taking me between 3.5-4 seconds consistently....but that's with moon clips. If I'm at home using a par time on the timer it's normally 2.5-3 seconds. What kind of revolver and what kind of loaders are you using?

586, comp-IIIs

I've never timed a moon clip reload. I will try that though.

rsa-otc
05-24-2012, 06:59 AM
Have any of you run your revolver reloads on a timer. I'd like to see what kind of times y'all are running.

I've been practicing some for an upcoming revolver match, and the best I can do is around 3.2 seconds but feel like it would probably more like 3.5 or so when doing it for real if everything went right.

Ran on timer just this last weekend for another challenge.

IDPA Rig - 686 Revolver, SL CompIII loaders:
No Cover - 3.3
With Cover - 3.86

Duty Rig - K frame revolver, SL CompII Loaders, Covered loader Pouches with snap fasteners: 4.19

I average 1.2 seconds longer to load my revolver compared to my M&P45.

Truth be known I have yet to find the CompIII's to be much faster then the CompI's or CompII's. Feels faster but I have yet to see it on the timer.

With regards to the type of loader HKS or Safariland, personally I have been using SL since the late 70's. They hold the rounds more secure as they age and the push on the body rather than twisting the knob is a tad quicker. The one exception is when I use an LFI speed loader holder. It's made out of wire and holds the loader over the belt splitting the rounds 3 to a side. The HKS works better with this, pics to follow.

We issue the HKS loader to the rank and file. My experience over the last 30 years is that they are easier for the non-gun enthusiasts to understand and work. Makes the training days go much faster. The main drawbacks to the HKS, Tad slower, the rounds tend to rattle and become loose as the loader ages because the plastic tensioning the back of the bullets loses it's tension, the walls between the rounds will split causing the rounds to hang up from time to time when loading.

jlw
05-24-2012, 07:44 AM
Ran on timer just this last weekend for another challenge.

IDPA Rig - 686 Revolver, SL CompIII loaders:
No Cover - 3.3
With Cover - 3.86

Duty Rig - K frame revolver, SL CompII Loaders, Covered loader Pouches with snap fasteners: 4.19

I average 1.2 seconds longer to load my revolver compared to my M&P45.

Truth be known I have yet to find the CompIII's to be much faster then the CompI's or CompII's. Feels faster but I have yet to see it on the timer.

With regards to the type of loader HKS or Safariland, personally I have been using SL since the late 70's. They hold the rounds more secure as they age and the push on the body rather than twisting the knob is a tad quicker. The one exception is when I use an LFI speed loader holder. It's made out of wire and holds the loader over the belt splitting the rounds 3 to a side. The HKS works better with this, pics to follow.

We issue the HKS loader to the rank and file. My experience over the last 30 years is that they are easier for the non-gun enthusiasts to understand and work. Makes the training days go much faster. The main drawbacks to the HKS, Tad slower, the rounds tend to rattle and become loose as the loader ages because the plastic tensioning the back of the bullets loses it's tension, the walls between the rounds will split causing the rounds to hang up from time to time when loading.

I have a duty rig set up with a Tex Shoemaker loader holder (http://www.texshoemaker.com/102-Speed-Loader-Case-Open-Top-3-Barrel-102-Speed-Loader-Case.htm) that holds three loaders. I use the comp-IIIs. I shoot IDPA using duty gear.

LSP972
05-24-2012, 08:10 AM
Think about having to do a reload with a partially full cylinder. Would it be faster to use a speed strip to replace just the rounds you shot, or dump them all in your hand, store the live rounds loose in a pocket, and use a speed loader to put in a fresh cylinder?

I'll practice that tonight and see which works best for me, but I'm wondering if anyone else has tried?

This is what we taught and practiced "back in the day". If your charge holes are clean, the fired cases will "stick" and the live cartridges will drop out in your hand as you up-end the revolver. You punch the extractor rod while putting the lives ones in a pocket, then do your normal speedloader thing.

I also carried a six-round loop carrier on the Sam Browne, a bit behind the holster, for 'topping off' when there was time for that.

As somebody noted, all these old revolver techniques are dying off with those of us who had to learn them; ditto armorer skills. I've been retired for five years, but am still connected to my old agency via a consultant slot. At least once every few weeks, I am contacted by an active trooper with a revolver question or need of armorer support for same. There is ONE guy still affiliated with the FTU who knows his way around the inside of a wheel gun... and he's about to retire as well.

Times change... but "old" is not necessarily useless, it would seem... :-)

jar
05-24-2012, 10:35 AM
I can't think of a reason you would want to skip chambers if you were only loading 2 or 3 rounds, so for me I would want them all together.

The reason DeBethencourt gives for skipping chambers is you're more likely to get to a live round sooner if you close the cylinder in a random position. It makes a lot of sense to me. If your reload is interrupted, the last thing you're going to do is carefully close the cylinder in the correct orientation. I'd rather have click click BANG click click BANG worst case than click click click click BANG BANG.

rsa-otc
05-24-2012, 11:03 AM
The reason DeBethencourt gives for skipping chambers is you're more likely to get to a live round sooner if you close the cylinder in a random position. It makes a lot of sense to me. If your reload is interrupted, the last thing you're going to do is carefully close the cylinder in the correct orientation. I'd rather have click click BANG click click BANG worst case than click click click click BANG BANG.

When loading single rounds or from a speed strip, teach yourself to rotate the cylinder the opposite way the cylinder turns when firing the gun to bring up the next chamber to load. This way you'll be more likely to close the cylinder with the rounds positioned to fire right away. So with a S&W revolver you spin the cylinder clockwise and a Colt counter clockwise. I believe a Ruger is counter clockwise as well.

rsa-otc
05-24-2012, 11:21 AM
I have a duty rig set up with a Tex Shoemaker loader holder (http://www.texshoemaker.com/102-Speed-Loader-Case-Open-Top-3-Barrel-102-Speed-Loader-Case.htm) that holds three loaders. I use the comp-IIIs. I shoot IDPA using duty gear.

About 50% of the time I compete with my duty rig as well. How well do the open top pouches retain the loaders through out the day
? I like the compIIs for every day use they aren't as tall and don't dig into my gut when I bend over. For duty my loaders are positioned up front to the right of my belt buckle. Right under my dominate hand.

TGS
05-24-2012, 11:33 AM
When loading single rounds or from a speed strip, teach yourself to rotate the cylinder the opposite way the cylinder turns when firing the gun to bring up the next chamber to load. This way you'll be more likely to close the cylinder with the rounds positioned to fire right away. So with a S&W revolver you spin the cylinder clockwise and a Colt counter clockwise. I believe a Ruger is counter clockwise as well.

Interesting. What do you think about deBethencourt's take on this? He's against indexing the rounds. He explains this in a blog entry on his website:
http://snubtraining.com/blog/index.php?s=loose+rounds Scroll down until you see "Snub Training: Loose Rounds (Re-edit)"

Also, why do all of you guys go for the Safariland Comp speed loaders? I thought SL Variants were suppose to be the king...

jlw
05-24-2012, 12:18 PM
About 50% of the time I compete with my duty rig as well. How well do the open top pouches retain the loaders through out the day
? I like the compIIs for every day use they aren't as tall and don't dig into my gut when I bend over. For duty my loaders are positioned up front to the right of my belt buckle. Right under my dominate hand.

I haven't had any retention issues.

ford.304
05-24-2012, 01:18 PM
Honestly had never heard of the SL speedloaders before. I'll have to give them a try.

rsa-otc
05-24-2012, 01:35 PM
Interesting. What do you think about deBethencourt's take on this? He's against indexing the rounds. He explains this in a blog entry on his website:
http://snubtraining.com/blog/index.php?s=loose+rounds Scroll down until you see "Snub Training: Loose Rounds (Re-edit)"

Also, why do all of you guys go for the Safariland Comp speed loaders? I thought SL Variants were suppose to be the king...

TGS;
I've never tried deBethencourt’s test, but I can see where he's coming from. You'll notice I said nothing about deliberately indexing the rounds. I said that while loading the gun rotate the cylinder to bring the next empty chamber up opposite the normal mechanical firing rotation. That way if you have to slam the cylinder shut on a partially loaded weapon the rounds will naturally fall into place. I'm not advocating taking the time to verify the index. With an S&W revolver (the make I'm most familiar with) if as you load the top most easily available chamber and then rotate the cylinder clockwise, when you close the cylinder the rounds will fall to the right of the back/top strap. That way when you squeeze the trigger and the cylinder rotates counter clockwise it will bring those rounds up under the firing pin immediately or within one shot. This was my counter to his loading every other chamber method. At least once per year I train my guys to partially load the weapon so as to deal with deBethencourt's concern about personnel not considering a gun loaded unless it's fully loaded.

In a combat situation I will never be loading single rounds unless my speedloader goes fubar and drops loose rounds in my hand (can that happen? Hell yes, that’s why I train my guys how to do partial loads). I'm either going to have my spare rounds preferably in a speedloader or in a speed strip, not loose. The Newhall situation he refers to predates speedloaders. Back then all loads were done loose from, bandoleer, dump pouch or pocket.

With regards to SL Variants; hell I thought I knew all the loaders on the market; this is the first I've seen/heard of them. The Safariland CompIII's do basically the same thing. I've been using Safariland products for 30 plus years and trust my life with them. The only holsters I will issue my personnel are Safariland. How much did you spend on the Variants? What I saw online was approx $30, Midway USA has CompIII's for $20.00.

TGS
05-24-2012, 01:44 PM
With regards to SL Variants; hell I thought I knew all the loaders on the market; this is the first I've seen/heard of them. The Safariland CompIII's do basically the same thing. I've been using Safariland products for 30 plus years and trust my life with them. The only holsters I will issue my personnel are Safariland. How much did you spend on the Variants? What I saw online was approx $30, Midway USA has CompIII's for $20.00.

Yup, $30 from Bob Macs. He's the only importer of them (they're made in Germany).

I don't know if you saw this, here's deBethencourt's video on his opinion of various speedloaders including the SL Variant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSDAZLc5Jgg

rsa-otc
05-24-2012, 02:00 PM
Picture of the LFI speedloader holder I talked about earlier. Use to be able to get them from Ted Blocker. Very minimalist.

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z417/rsa-otc/2012-05-24_14-49-48_257.jpg

rsa-otc
05-24-2012, 02:21 PM
Yup, $30 from Bob Macs. He's the only importer of them (they're made in Germany).

I don't know if you saw this, here's deBethencourt's video on his opinion of various speedloaders including the SL Variant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSDAZLc5Jgg

Actually I saw them on cheaper than dirt, they probably get them from Bob Macs.

Watched the link;

Dade Loaders - agree with him on most things, but my own experiance with them with 148 grain wadcutters is if you drop them you are loose loading your rounds. Really wouldn't carry them for self defense.

HKS - Concur

CompI - Never had his complaint. CompII is just an updated CompI, I cut my teeth on CompI's and switched to the more available CompII's when the CompI's wore out.

Jet Loader - Looks and acts almost exactly like the Safariland CompIII's, makes me wonder if Safariland licensed the basic design from Jet.

SL Varient - HMMMM, In the video he really didn't give me a reason to prefer the SL loader over the Safariland/Jet. The one thing that I did see on the SL loader compared to the Safariland CompIII's is that there are indentations around the body of the loader that coresponds to the flutes in the cylinder. This would be more advantagous for indexing the rounds to the chambers without looking to the loader. Right now with the CompIII's I let my fingers travel to the actual bullets to acuire this index. I'm thinking it may be a tad faster to use the loader body. Safariland CompII's have those indentations on the body of the loader.

TGS
05-24-2012, 04:08 PM
SL Varient - HMMMM, In the video he really didn't give me a reason to prefer the SL loader over the Safariland/Jet. The one thing that I did see on the SL loader compared to the Safariland CompIII's is that there are indentations around the body of the loader that coresponds to the flutes in the cylinder. This would be more advantagous for indexing the rounds to the chambers without looking to the loader. Right now with the CompIII's I let my fingers travel to the actual bullets to acuire this index. I'm thinking it may be a tad faster to use the loader body. Safariland CompII's have those indentations on the body of the loader.

The thing he said that attracted me was, "particularly well built and robust" or something to that effect; I hate when stuff breaks, and generally appreciate particularly well built and robust items. Plus, I've really had no experience with all this stuff so when he says it's the Cadillac/golden standard of speed loaders, I figured I'd just trust his reasoning and go from there. When I get mine, you're more than welcome to put them through their paces to see what you think. I wouldn't mind trying to learn some revolver-craft from you as well.

rsa-otc
05-24-2012, 05:53 PM
The thing he said that attracted me was, "particularly well built and robust" or something to that effect; I hate when stuff breaks, and generally appreciate particularly well built and robust items. Plus, I've really had no experience with all this stuff so when he says it's the Cadillac/golden standard of speed loaders, I figured I'd just trust his reasoning and go from there. When I get mine, you're more than welcome to put them through their paces to see what you think. I wouldn't mind trying to learn some revolver-craft from you as well are ell.

We are all a product of our experiences, so maybe his are different than mine.

Would love to get together with you and BaiHu sometime. We'll have to make it happen before summers end.

ford.304
05-24-2012, 09:13 PM
Not having used them, but gauging from the video, I can see the Variant giving a more positive release/insertion than the Comp-II's, but with a smaller footprint on your belt than the Comp-III's.

I've never felt any concern of accidentally breaking the Comp-II's - they seem like pretty sturdy plastic.

BN
05-25-2012, 06:25 PM
I don't usually carry a revolver but do shoot one in IDPA sometimes. I use the Safariland Comp lll that are spring loaded. Safariland only makes the Comp lll for the K and L frame S&Ws. They only make the Comp l for the J-frames.

If I was to carry a J-Frame I would get some SL Varient.

Here is a video of my reloads with the Comp lll with open carry. There isn't much time difference with a 5:11 vest.

Reloads are usually between 2.5 and 3.0.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgvCGcD-FAg

Jay Cunningham
05-25-2012, 06:29 PM
I don't usually carry a revolver but do shoot one in IDPA sometimes.

FotoTomas
05-26-2012, 01:16 AM
As a side note...way back in the mid 70's a portion of my Military Police duty was in the Military Police Investigations section. The issued revolver for that duty in the U.S. Forces Korea, Area III Provost Marshals Office was the 2nd generation Colt Detective Special. We were issued simple leather dump pouches with 6 loose rounds in them. The official training method at the time in the Army Field Manual had us unlock the cylinder with the right thumb while the revolver was transitioned to the left hand. Eject the rounds from the opened cylinder with our left thumb and then rotate the revolver upside down with the grip straight up and to the left to then load the cylinder with loose rounds from the pouch. After loading the cylinder was closed and the revolver rotated AND transferred back to the right hand. The revolver was upside down because this technique allowed the cylinder to be exposed fully to the right hand to facilitate reloading. Lefties were taught the same method as righties since the revolver was not ambidextrous. Hell, for awhile we had an ops officer that required ALL MP's to carry right side only for uniformity. Can not have one of those evil lefties messing up the Guard Mount inspection.

As a point of field expedience we traded or had family send us the small 6 loop belt slide to avoid the dump pouch. While I was home on leave I purchased a quality Bianchi paddle holster for the Dick Special, a couple of the Bianchi belt slides AND a pair or "Second Six" speed loaders. These were simple plastic that the rounds were pushed into to be held by a small nub. The loader had a ring around the speed loader body that was pushed down forcing the cartridges past the nub and into the cylinder. Top drawer equipment back then when I got back to Korea and I sold it all at a hefty profit to my relief when I rotated out. I have not seen one of those speed loaders since. That was when I bought into those new fangled HKS Six Second speed loaders. Telling bit of history that name. Six Seconds to reload a revolver was damn fast back then!

Jay Cunningham
02-14-2013, 12:12 AM
I recently acquired a S&W Model 66 and intend to run it for the next several months. I've picked up a handful of the Safariland Comp II speedloaders and a Model 333
Competition Speedloader Holder to feed from. I plan on running with the deBethencourt reload and hope to get it down. One of my AIs is committed to the "Stressfire" style" reload and we're going to compare and contrast.

jetfire
02-14-2013, 07:26 AM
I'd strongly recommend you get the charge holes chamfered on that 66.

Jay Cunningham
02-14-2013, 07:33 AM

Why?

rsa-otc
02-14-2013, 07:37 AM

While not absolutely necessary, I concur with Caleb. It's a relatively cheap modification.

NETim
02-14-2013, 07:57 AM

Yeah, you KNOW that guy is a revo shooter. :)

Tamara
02-14-2013, 08:13 AM
While not absolutely necessary, I concur with Caleb. It's a relatively cheap modification.

I'll third it. It greatly reduces the fumble-factor for speedloader reloads. Pretty big ROI for a relatively simple mod.

rsa-otc
02-14-2013, 08:57 AM
Why?

The sharp chamber edge can catch on the cartridge causing it to bind going into the chamber. By having the cylinders chamfered you greatly reduce the chance of this happening. Also adds a small funnel to help guide the rounds into the chambers. You wouldn't think it would be that much of a differance but it is.

jetfire
02-14-2013, 10:16 AM
Additionally, I have all my competition revolver cylinders deburred and polished so I get the best extraction possible when I go to town on the ejector rod.

NEPAKevin
02-14-2013, 11:37 AM
The rational part of my brain understands that it takes lots of practice and dedication to perfect a smooth, fast revolver reload. Another part thinks round thing operators have an extra chromosome.

Jay Cunningham
02-14-2013, 11:39 AM
Additionally, I have all my competition revolver cylinders deburred and polished so I get the best extraction possible when I go to town on the ejector rod.

Is this something you only have done to your competition revolvers, or to you have it done to all of your revolvers?

rsa-otc
02-14-2013, 12:01 PM
Is this something you only have done to your competition revolvers, or to you have it done to all of your revolvers?

My competition Revolver is also one of my home defense weapons. Quite frankly I can't think of any reason not to make this modification and every reason to. :cool:

The last place I want my reload to hang up is in the middle of a fight for my life.

jetfire
02-14-2013, 12:57 PM

All of my wheelguns, actually since my competition guns are/were also home defense guns. The only gun I didn't have it done to was a Pro Series Model 60 I owned and that was because S&W did it for me. It's really beneficial to do it on guns with those little stubby ejector rods, because the cases come free easier.

BN
02-14-2013, 05:57 PM
Jay, I could share some of my revolver knowledge with you if you want to drive over to my place some time. I have a private range in the back yard. I'm a couple of hours away from Pittsburgh. I come more from a competition back ground with revolver, but a lot of it crosses over.

Bill

Jay Cunningham
02-14-2013, 06:05 PM
That's very gracious of you Bill; I'd love to.

BN
02-14-2013, 06:11 PM
That's very gracious of you Bill; I'd love to.

Going to PM.

Jay Cunningham
02-14-2013, 06:13 PM
All of my wheelguns, actually since my competition guns are/were also home defense guns. The only gun I didn't have it done to was a Pro Series Model 60 I owned and that was because S&W did it for me. It's really beneficial to do it on guns with those little stubby ejector rods, because the cases come free easier.

Thanks to all for the chamfer recommendation. I'm not inclined to run right out with my (new to me) blaster and get it worked on before I even get comfortable with it. However in a few months I'll consider some stuff like this.

jetfire
02-14-2013, 06:21 PM
Thanks to all for the chamfer recommendation. I'm not inclined to run right out with my (new to me) blaster and get it worked on before I even get comfortable with it. However in a few months I'll consider some stuff like this.

I totally get that, it took me a while of playing around with wheelies before I figured out what an ideal set up for me was.

One thing I do recommend is if you're going to be doing a weak-hand/non-swap/deBethencourt reload to grab your speedloaders so that your index finger lines up along the point of the bullet. Visuals and details here (http://gunnuts.net/2012/07/27/revolver-reloading-revelation/).

FotoTomas
02-25-2013, 08:53 PM
My Model 19 has the charge holes chamfered and numbered. You would be surprised how much more accurate some of them are. The process is a worthy addition to any service or competition revolver. Waiting till you are sure you want to keep the revolver and spend the money makes a lot of sense too.

Enjoy...it can become an addiction. :)

Jay Cunningham
05-08-2013, 05:37 PM

Spending a little quality time.

Little Creek
05-12-2013, 07:34 PM

Spending a little quality time.

Jay,

It is nice to know that you spend quality time with revolvers. Hey, I really like the grips on that handgun. How about another picture from a different angle.

Thanks,

LC