PDA

View Full Version : Trigger finger rubbing frame while firing

Serpico1985
05-22-2012, 11:31 AM
Is this an issue? Should I work at not allowing my trigger finger to rub the frame while firing? If I think about it I can prevent it from rubbing the frame right above the trigger under the trigger pin hole. The part of my finger thats rubbing is the first joint behind my finger nail. When I dont think about it my trigger finger rubs. I'm a right handed shooter and the gun is a gen 4 17.

Thanks

WyoXd
05-22-2012, 12:32 PM
Can you tell a difference in your hits rubbing vs.not?

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

ummm
05-22-2012, 01:25 PM
It's def an issue for me. For the last month or so I'm consciously thinking about adding a little chickenwing to my trigger finger so I eliminate the rub.

Serpico1985
05-22-2012, 02:48 PM
I don't know if it's an issue. I've been looking at the way I pull the trigger and noticed this, never really thought about it before. I wasn't sure if there was a general consensus on it either way.

JV_
05-22-2012, 02:57 PM
I've never thought about having portions touch the frame, but I do try to keep my trigger finger's major knuckle and proximal phalanges fixed; I focus on moving/bending the intermediate and distal phalanges only. This helps me pull the trigger straight back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Scheme_human_hand_bones-en.svg

Serpico1985
05-22-2012, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the info JV. I don't know how I could pull the trigger without using the "proximal phalanges" but I'll give it a try.

JohnN
05-22-2012, 10:41 PM
Is this an issue? Should I work at not allowing my trigger finger to rub the frame while firing? If I think about it I can prevent it from rubbing the frame right above the trigger under the trigger pin hole. The part of my finger thats rubbing is the first joint behind my finger nail. When I dont think about it my trigger finger rubs. I'm a right handed shooter and the gun is a gen 4 17.

Thanks

Presumably that is why Ben at Boresight Solutions removes material from the frame in this region. Never had a Glock modified in this way but it may help the problem you are experiencing.

EVP
10-23-2012, 11:54 PM
I was just searching the forums and came across this post.

What is the thought about what the OP asked? I have always heard you don't want your trigger finger touching or rubbing any part of the gun but I have not ever heard the explanation behind it.

My trigger finger does the same as the OP on a g19. JV are you saying in your previous post that you have never worried about portions of your trigger finger touching the frame as long as it does not impede a smooth straight back trigger press?

Thanks

JV_
10-24-2012, 05:54 AM
you have never worried about portions of your trigger finger touching the frame as long as it does not impede a smooth straight back trigger press?I can't say I've never worried about it, it's not something I currently worry about.

Depending on my grip, my weak hand index finger often touches my trigger finger too ... and I don't worry about that either.

Rex G
10-24-2012, 04:58 PM
My right trigger finger rubs the frame as you describe. I have not found a good way to avoid it, as a Glock sits so very low in my skinny right hand. (Chronic issues with my right hand/wrist/arm/shoulder have resulted in a noticeable loss of muscle mass.) Switching to a SIG was a temporary fix; my right-hand accuracy went up notably, but the SIG's high bore axis, and resulting more-pronounced muzzle flip, are starting to cause pain, and probably damage, so the SIG will probably be retired soon. (My employer's standard primary duty cartridge in the snappy .40 S&W.)

When I shoot a Glock lefty, my trigger finger does not drag on the frame, so a Glock is a better lefty gun for me. My left hand is presently healthier than my right hand, for which I am very grateful. Surgery on the frame, at least on the right side, as shown in the previously posted images above, is an option if I decide to revert to Glocks.

LSP972
10-26-2012, 07:32 AM
My trigger finger rubs on the lower/inside part of the trigger guard on stock Glocks. It never affected my shooting/accuracy, but was quite annoying and somewhat painful after a long day (several hundred rounds) of shooting.

I relieved this area (under the trigger) on the several Glocks I shoot regularly, with a Dremel, and all is well now. FWIW, the "trough" on the HK P30 bothers me as well. More than a few magazines and I begin to feel it. My wife shoots her .40 P30 regularly; it doesn't bother her in the slightest.

I would say that this is a highly individualized thing. I have relatively small hands and fingers, as does my wife. I know men with large and small hands who shoot Glocks and do not have the issue.

John Hearne
10-27-2012, 07:57 PM
First, with enough time and effort, you can learn to shoot anything well. As I understand it, Cirillo had small hands but shot Glocks well. I suspect that year's of PPC would do that.

With that said, if you can shoot a particular platform as well in a shorter time frame, it probably makes sense to use the easier platform. It's been my experience that those with smaller hands will struggle to shoot a pistol well if their trigger finger drags on the frame.

I've seen a small handed shooter struggling with a Glock 29 (shooting left as a right handed shooter) suddenly shoot fine when shooting a single stack gun. A lot of "Glocks shoot left" is caused by this.

Interestingly, I just picked up a Sig P226 Enhanced Elite with a short trigger. The smaller grip and short trigger allowed more finger than normal on the trigger and I was pulling right.

UNK
10-27-2012, 09:32 PM
First, with enough time and effort, you can learn to shoot anything well.

I've seen a small handed shooter struggling with a Glock 29 (shooting left as a right handed shooter)

The smaller grip and short trigger allowed more finger than normal on the trigger and I was pulling right.

This is one of the fundamentals of marksmanship. Too little push left, too much pull right

David Armstrong
10-30-2012, 10:26 AM
I'll go with some of the others here. My trigger finger drags a bit on almost all autoladers. Don't have the issue with larger revolvers, but with J-frames there is a distinct drag. I've noticed it and tried to correct it in the past, but now I don't worry about it and it doesn't seem to make any difference in my shooting.

Surf
11-07-2012, 01:46 PM
I also have some drag in this area, especially on a Glock. Being aware of the issue is important as it can affect a shooter. Simple way of testing is to do dry fire with a small aim point for reference. Do it normal and then do it with a lower grip or moreso a lower finger placement that avoids contact with the frame / trigger guard. Do some pulls and watch the sights closely. Some people exert a lot of movement, others show none. The difficult part is the set up with the grip. I have found that my most desirable grip with a very high on the backstrap placement on the Glock and my hand size will set up my trigger finger in the manner that it will rub. I have worked on several modifications to my hand placement / grip to test this out. I am currently working another modification to my grip where I lock my support hands pointer finger on the lower / outside part of the trigger guard where I can get higher with my support hand and lock in better but this seems to amplify the problem as of right now, but time and repetition will tell if I can get it to work for my hand size / grip type.