PDA

View Full Version : Long gun vehicle storage - SnapSafe Under Bed Safe

Wake27
04-22-2020, 01:25 PM
I’ve been considering this for a while and finally got one to try so figured I’d post initial impressions. Another member here has a similar setup that was posted in I think the PDW thread. The large safe fits very well in the back of my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It came well packaged with a shipping box around the product box and a good amount of foam to keep it safe. The box looks like it took a bit of a beating but no damage was done to the safe itself.

Features are straightforward and seem decent. The keypad is easy to use and gives you audible cues along with two code options for 3-8 digits each. Two backup keys are provided and definitely functional, though the cover isn’t the easiest to remove so if you think you may need fast access with the keys, it’s probably be best to leave it off. The directions for the cover were very vague, I thought it was a locking spring assisted hinge, but it’s just a piece of plastic that you slide up and out of place and then have to slide something like a screwdriver (or my wife’s thumbnail) underneath to get some leverage and remove. Not the nicest design, but it’s obviously only there for the aesthetics of covering the keyhole.

There is a hole in the right side to attach the steel cable to something for extra security. There weren’t any instructions for it, but it was pretty straight forward. The threaded end of the cable runs through the loop and around your tie down, then just barely fits inside the hole. A 9/16 nut and washer go on the inside of the safe to secure the threaded end. The cable is thick and I except will provide a good level of security. Combined with the weight of the safe (105 pounds), it should be very resistant to the snatch and grab crowd and provide the a high level of security relative for what it is.

The drawer seems to slide well and doesn’t give the impression that it’s cheap garbage. The locking mechanism itself is a bar that runs the length of the drawer and locks it into the sides of body of the safe. I know literally nothing about breaking into stuff, but again, it feels decently sturdy.

Internal dimensions I think can be found on the sight, but a quick test shows it could easily fit two streamlined ARs. My primary is a KAC 14.5 and it would’ve fit with room to spare if not for the offset Crossfire RDS on the Badger C1 Mount. That being said, I think the switchview was on the opposite side so the gun may have been resting on it providing even more side-to-side bulk. I’ll try to double check that later. My 590A1 barely fits. I think it’s the 18.5” barrel and the Magpul buttstock has some extra length due to spacers. If not for that, it probably would’ve been ok at an angle. With those spacers (two I think), it’ll fit if I rest the barrel on the locking bar. Not ideal, but technically it would work. As I have more time, I can experiment with different things inside to see how much it can hold.

Overall, I’m very pleased. SnapSafe has a great discount on Expert Voice for those who qualify, but I only had one option for shipping and it cost $125 so the overall price was only a little less than what you may find in stores or through their website. It took a few days to process but was delivered within two days of shipping though so I assume it was sent FedEx two day, which makes me feel a little better about the price. It’s also pretty heavy so not surprising that shipping would be pricy.

Here are a few quick pictures, I’ll get more when I can.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200422/b212bec4d3e280f7d39037a2d02570b1.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200422/11a16fcea7e046caf63ab0986de6de09.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200422/48d725a041ac37813fff1313624e15b4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk