PDA

View Full Version : Dark Mode for PF?

StraitR
04-19-2020, 10:08 PM
What would it take to get a "Dark Mode" skin/style for PF? Make the white background black, black letters white, etc. I know nothing about such things, basically oblivious about how daunting that request might be, so forgive me in advance if it's massively time consuming or cost prohibitive. It's easy on the eyes at night, so thought I'd at least ask.

HopetonBrown
04-20-2020, 12:01 AM
I use the Tapatalk app and dark mode is available in settings. 52416

That Guy
04-20-2020, 12:07 AM
After Tapatalk went crazy on my phone I've switched to Opera. Browsing the site with a phone can get a bit aggravating at times since the theme meant for phone use is so stripped down it lacks functionality, but Opera does have a Night mode that does the exact thing asked for.

StraitR
04-20-2020, 12:10 AM
I use the Tapatalk app and dark mode is available in settings.

Didn't mention it in my original post, but this would be for web browser via laptop.

That Guy
04-20-2020, 01:40 AM
At least Firefox and Chrome have night mode extensions available to them.

RJ
04-20-2020, 06:11 AM
This is ‘night’ in FireFox on an iPad, fwiw.

critter
04-20-2020, 06:27 AM
There is an extension for Chrome and other browsers using it (e.g., Vivaldi) called Dark Reader which I really like. There should be something similar for FireFox as well. With Opera, at least a while back, there was/is a settings module where you can set the browser display to whatever you like. It was a feature I liked to it's likely that has been removed (all companies track me to see what I like and discontinue whatever that is... I'm sure of it.)

El Cid
04-20-2020, 01:05 PM
I’d love a feature like this. Computers, phones, etc. Especially phones though.

BehindBlueI's
04-20-2020, 01:22 PM
LittleLebowski

hiro
04-20-2020, 02:01 PM
has anyone tried setting up their own view with this:

I am sure it can be done but I don't know if I want to spend the time getting it right.

LittleLebowski
04-20-2020, 02:08 PM
I know, guys. Sooner or later, I will hire a UI guy for this and also upgrade the forum software to the next release. For now, try what is working for RJ (scroll up).

Grey
04-20-2020, 02:17 PM
Dark Background and Light Text

That is an extension on FireFox that you can mess around with, not sure I'm a fan yet.

blues
04-20-2020, 02:18 PM
Dark Background and Light Text

That is an extension on FireFox that you can mess around with, not sure I'm a fan yet.

I don't think someone named "Grey" should opine on dark mode. ;)

critter
04-20-2020, 04:13 PM
RJ is using FireFox for iPad above. Night mode doesn't appear to be on the windows version, or if it is I haven't found it so far. Definitely not in the dropdown menu there.

That Guy
04-20-2020, 04:59 PM
It's an add-on, something you need to install separately (within Firefox).

critter
04-20-2020, 06:52 PM
It's an add-on, something you need to install separately (within Firefox).

Night Mode Pro is available as an extension.
Dark Reader is also there as well.

RJ
04-09-2021, 07:14 AM
Night Mode Pro is available as an extension.
Dark Reader is also there as well.

I am trying Night Mode Pro on a windows 10 based HP laptop using Firefox, results seem promising.

Edit to add: It seems that not all colors are 'inverted' in night mode. When the screen goes dark, the colors in certain hyperlinks are still dark, leading you to conclude they are not there. (They are there if you mouse over them). So while buggy it does seem to help with keeping the screen dark. If I figure out the hyperlink thing I will post back.

BobLoblaw
04-09-2021, 09:03 AM
I know you're not supposed to look at your phone before bedtime but hey, I'm radical. A dark style would help tremendously. The white light makes P-F a no-go before sleep so I'm stuck with browsing lesser forums that have night mode or dark themes.

RJ
04-09-2021, 09:09 AM
I know you're not supposed to look at your phone before bedtime but hey, I'm radical. A dark style would help tremendously. The white light makes P-F a no-go before sleep so I'm stuck with browsing lesser forums that have night mode or dark themes.

Firefox on an iPhone, Night mode enabled using Full Site:

It works, but there’s a bit of stretching and shrinking one has to do.

BobLoblaw
04-09-2021, 09:51 AM
Firefox on an iPhone, Night mode enabled using Full Site:

It works, but there’s a bit of stretching and shrinking one has to do.

Nice! Thanks! I'm not a big Firefox fan but I'd probably make an exception for that feature.

RJ
04-09-2021, 05:17 PM
I am trying Night Mode Pro on a windows 10 based HP laptop using Firefox, results seem promising.

Edit to add: It seems that not all colors are 'inverted' in night mode. When the screen goes dark, the colors in certain hyperlinks are still dark, leading you to conclude they are not there. (They are there if you mouse over them). So while buggy it does seem to help with keeping the screen dark. If I figure out the hyperlink thing I will post back.

I deinstalled the "Night Mode Pro" plug in.

I just could not figure out how to make the hyperlinks appear in "night" mode. They are there, but the plug-in seems to invert all the colors on a page EXCEPT the hyperlinks. Which if you say want to upload a picture, is a bit hard to do if you don't remember exactly where they are (they appear if you hover over them).

If I ever get it figured out, I'll post back.

JAD
04-09-2021, 09:56 PM
I have been hearing for a while that mobile mode, which doesn’t allow me to like stuff but which is still better than howdy, is due for an upgrade.

RJ
04-10-2021, 07:34 AM
I'm trying another FF Browser extension, "Dark Mode":

This one seems to preserve the ability to see hyperlinks in "Dark" mode. So far so good.

RJ
08-19-2022, 06:46 AM
Any chance a Dark Mode Style is coming anytime soon?

Almost all of the open tabs on my desktop are now dark mode...It is a bit of a shock to activate p-f and have the screen go from a nice neutral set of black/gray shades with easy to read text, to a glaring mostly white page with orange font. I have a dark mode extention on ff available, but when it's active, all of my other discussion boards look weird so I turn it off. Mostly I just live with it, but it is a turn-off from visiting p-f.

Not a yuge deal of course but with so many sites offering this as an option these days, does p-f have any plans to implement dark mode in the works?

BobLoblaw
08-19-2022, 08:36 AM
Any chance a Dark Mode Style is coming anytime soon?

Almost all of the open tabs on my desktop are now dark mode...It is a bit of a shock to activate p-f and have the screen go from a nice neutral set of black/gray shades with easy to read text, to a glaring mostly white page with orange font. I have a dark mode extention on ff available, but when it's active, all of my other discussion boards look weird so I turn it off. Mostly I just live with it, but it is a turn-off from visiting p-f.

Not a yuge deal of course but with so many sites offering this as an option these days, does p-f have any plans to implement dark mode in the works?

That's why I usually only check PF on a real computer during the day at work where all my business apps also cram blue light into my eyes. The default mobile style is so bare bones that you can almost use it and Tapatalk has dark mode but that software is just awful if not harmful.

RJ
12-16-2022, 07:25 AM
Any possible updates on this?

I've been moving from computer to computer lately, with different monitors rendering hte site in different ways. My current one (an HP Laptop) turns out to have selected an Orange color against the white back ground as to make making out the web page eye-wateringly difficult.

There is such little contrast between the white overall background and the bright orange text that is it very difficult to resolve the text.

I've tried a couple times to tweak the colors available from the palette but never stumbled onto which setting in the web page markup corresponds to background color. Using "dark mode" Firefox extensions is probably where I am going to end up, but I thought I'd swing through here again to see if anyone had any other clever ideas.

I also suspect as I get older (64 next year) my eyes are slowly losing the ability to discriminate orange, as I've always been a little color blind. Gettin' old ain't for sissies.

awp_101
12-18-2022, 09:33 PM
I also suspect as I get older (64 next year) my eyes are slowly losing the ability to discriminate orange, as I've always been a little color blind. Gettin' old ain't for sissies.
Nothing a new set of eyes can’t fix…

JclInAtx
12-19-2022, 09:16 PM
Any possible updates on this?

I've been moving from computer to computer lately, with different monitors rendering hte site in different ways. My current one (an HP Laptop) turns out to have selected an Orange color against the white back ground as to make making out the web page eye-wateringly difficult.

There is such little contrast between the white overall background and the bright orange text that is it very difficult to resolve the text.

I've tried a couple times to tweak the colors available from the palette but never stumbled onto which setting in the web page markup corresponds to background color. Using "dark mode" Firefox extensions is probably where I am going to end up, but I thought I'd swing through here again to see if anyone had any other clever ideas.

Rich,
I use Samsung Internet as a browser on my galaxy tablet. Within it, changing to dark theme sites does exactly that, even on pistol-forum. Black background, white text. Neither Chrome nor duckduckgo display pf in the dark theme properly. To my knowledge it's android only, and running an android emulator to read PF seems excessive, but perhaps there's another browser that would work?

El Cid
02-13-2023, 07:59 PM
Any updates? I admit I don’t have any idea what’s involved in making the change but this is one of the few sites I visit so dark mode or even just a better color palette would be superb. :)

RJ
02-14-2023, 05:04 AM
Since this thread got topped, I realized I was using a different browser than I had been, so I looked at options I had now.

I recently started using "Brave", a open-source Mozzila-based Chromium derivative browser, with its built-in privacy features. I used duckduckgo to search for "brave dark mode", and came up with this:

brave://flags/#enable-force-dark

After enabling this "dark" option, across all web pages, the site now renders like this:

As well, all the other discussion forum sites I'm on that support "dark mode" aren't affected, they are still dark mode. So I'll keep this setting and continue to use, but it looks like it has solved the problem for me.

My current computer setup is an older Gateway desktop running Linux Mint 21, VGA'd to a Roku 32" TV, using the aforementioned Brave browser, version 1.45.133.

RJ
02-14-2023, 05:10 AM
Nothing a new set of eyes can’t fix…

Ha, love the graphic! Funny, I was at the eye doc yesterday. She said at my age (64) my cataract rating was a 1 (bad = 4) and sometime in the future, they'd have to remove my lenses from my eyeballs (yuk!) but they would replace them with ones that would give me good vision at distance. And apparently I would only need glasses to read...I've been wearing glasses since I was like 5 years old so that would be pretty cool.

hufnagel
02-14-2023, 06:12 AM
if I had a choice I'd rather have nearsightedness that allows me to see the TV (and as a consiquecnce, my laptop), without glasses. That's pretty much what I have right now with my "readers."

the one downside is I'd "lose" the blue blockers I have now, which DEFINITELY are a plus for all the I.T. work I do regularly; it all but eliminated all the migraines I used to get.

so maybe farsighted replacement lenses are really a better idea.

RJ
02-14-2023, 06:18 AM
Since this thread got topped, I realized I was using a different browser than I had been, so I looked at options I had now.

I recently started using "Brave", a open-source Mozzila-based Chromium derivative browser, with its built-in privacy features. I used duckduckgo to search for "brave dark mode", and came up with this:

brave://flags/#enable-force-dark

Sigh.

I put this setting back to the default. It turns out that having this enabled across "all" web pages meant the edit box window colors were modified. As a result, editing a post meant I literally could not see any text when a line or lines was highlighted with the mouse...So not ideal. Oh and the other thing it did, was to re-map image colors so that for instance avatars would look all weird and different colors. Same for all images; they looked a little...odd.

I'd still like to find a client-side option to fix this so p-f doesn't make my eyes water, but it sure would be nice if the site had a "dark mode" option, server-side.

ldunnmobile
02-14-2023, 06:54 AM
It’s my only complaint here. I go from every other haunt I browse to the retina searing PF

RJ
02-27-2023, 06:35 AM
This morning I investigated the use of "Customize Profile" to address this issue. After making a number of color changes, mostly on background colors on the various options, I ended up with a page that looked like this:

But when I navigate to the main site, i.e. the new post page, none of the changes I made using "Customize Profile" appeared to carry over. In other words, the "Customize Profile" page didn't seem to do anything for me, at all.

Question for to someone more familiar with these vBulletin Cascading Style Sheets than I am: is this a bug in the site, and/or can this be fixed? If so, it would go a long way to help those of us who prefer a darker motif on the site. Or, if I am missing that one simple trick to have the "Customize Profile" color options applied to the site to get this to work, please let me know.

JCN
03-01-2023, 04:51 AM
I’m using the IOS Smart Invert feature through accessibility vision menu.

cosermann
03-01-2023, 08:36 AM
I’m using the IOS Smart Invert feature through accessibility vision menu.

On the iPad it looks like it’s under Accessibility ==>> Display & text.

TXTad
01-01-2024, 01:51 PM
This plugin actually works pretty well for Chrome: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/dark-reader/eimadpbcbfnmbkopoojfekhnkhdbieeh

TXTad
01-01-2024, 02:58 PM
This plugin actually works pretty well for Chrome: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/dark-reader/eimadpbcbfnmbkopoojfekhnkhdbieeh

And in case that link dies at some point, the plugin is Dark Reader: https://darkreader.org/

RJ
01-01-2024, 03:53 PM
And in case that link dies at some point, the plugin is Dark Reader: https://darkreader.org/

Does that work as a function of specific web site? As in, you just want dark mode for one specific web address?

TXTad
01-01-2024, 04:17 PM
Does that work as a function of specific web site? As in, you just want dark mode for one specific web address?

You can configure it per domain with individual settings for each domain where it is active.

RJ
01-01-2024, 05:56 PM
Thanks!

I tried that on my office Linux box using Firefox. I have a tab with p-f with Dark Reader enabled via the plug-in, and another forum in another tab in its ‘dark’ mode. So far it seems to be working independently.

I haven’t located where in the control panel you can control it by web site. But maybe I don’t understand what a ‘domain’ is. Appreciate it though, this is getting close to usable as a work around, until when/if p-f adds a dark setting, or fixes the CSS bug.

TXTad
01-03-2024, 09:39 PM
Thanks!

I tried that on my office Linux box using Firefox. I have a tab with p-f with Dark Reader enabled via the plug-in, and another forum in another tab in its ‘dark’ mode. So far it seems to be working independently.

I haven’t located where in the control panel you can control it by web site. But maybe I don’t understand what a ‘domain’ is. Appreciate it though, this is getting close to usable as a work around, until when/if p-f adds a dark setting, or fixes the CSS bug.

Nice, another Linux user.

Once you have it pinned to the plugin bar, you can control it for each site by clicking its icon and tweaking on these sliders. The top left box that has the check box turns it on or off for a site. I think I had to turn on per-site in its settings.

To pin it to the plugin bar, click the pin in the Extensions menu:

RJ
01-04-2024, 07:55 AM
TXTad - Thanks! So with that hint, I was able to set Dark Reader to recognize specific web sites, and set p-f up for Dark Mode, with all the other web sites I typically start with their own settings.

This appears repeatable, as I "set" this up in FireFox just now with multiple tabs, and so far it is remembering how I set things when I reboot my box and start FF up again.

Excellent!

I appreciate you taking the time to post this. It's completely resolved my issue with dark mode, and now I don't have to have p-f as an eye-wateringly bright tab when I use the forums, particularly at night in my office.

Yes, Linux user for um a while, ever since I started with Unix in College and later with AIX courtesy of Big Blue. I first installed Linux Mint 18 on an old Acer laptop a while ago, then most recently Mint 21 on a couple Gateway desk side boxes I got at a yard sale - I do everything with it except file the taxes, basically.

Thanks again!

TXTad
01-06-2024, 12:58 PM
TXTad - Thanks! So with that hint, I was able to set Dark Reader to recognize specific web sites, and set p-f up for Dark Mode, with all the other web sites I typically start with their own settings.

Good. I was hoping that would would let you get a hold of the corner of the carpet.

This appears repeatable, as I "set" this up in FireFox just now with multiple tabs, and so far it is remembering how I set things when I reboot my box and start FF up again.

Excellent!

I appreciate you taking the time to post this. It's completely resolved my issue with dark mode, and now I don't have to have p-f as an eye-wateringly bright tab when I use the forums, particularly at night in my office.

This is an issue that is dear to me. I got my start with computers in the early 80s with my Dad's office PC. An IBM clone by Corona. The amber monochrome was usually pretty easy on the eyes. As everything started getting brighter and whiter through the 90s and early 2000s, I was always trying to find ways to calm things down. In 2001 I started working for a small company on a big C++ project. I did most of my work in emacs and spent a fair bit of time customizing my own color scheme. I basically invented solarized before it was a thing. I wish I still had the .emacs file for that.

Yes, Linux user for um a while, ever since I started with Unix in College and later with AIX courtesy of Big Blue. I first installed Linux Mint 18 on an old Acer laptop a while ago, then most recently Mint 21 on a couple Gateway desk side boxes I got at a yard sale - I do everything with it except file the taxes, basically.

I even use it for that. Linux has been my daily driver since 1999. First the old Red Hat, then Gentoo, Ubuntu until they left Unity, and now Mint for my desktop and Ubuntu Server for most everything else. The only thing I don't use it for is the occasional time I play a bit of Diablo III.

Thanks again!

You're welcome!