PDA

View Full Version : P2000 Milling for Red Dot

Mark D
04-19-2020, 10:54 AM
I'm considering having a P2000 milled for a RMR. L and M Precision Gunworks does it: https://www.landmprecisiongunworks.com/product/trijicon-rmr-optic-installation-on-your-slide/#slide-model

I see that APO doesn't advertise milling for the P2000. Neither does Precision Machine.

Is there anyone else I should look at? And are there any unique issues with milling the P2000 that I should be aware of? Thanks.

GJM
04-19-2020, 11:19 AM
I'm considering having a P2000 milled for a RMR. L and M Precision Gunworks does it: https://www.landmprecisiongunworks.com/product/trijicon-rmr-optic-installation-on-your-slide/#slide-model

I see that APO doesn't advertise milling for the P2000. Neither does Precision Machine.

Is there anyone else I should look at? And are there any unique issues with milling the P2000 that I should be aware of? Thanks.

As part of my bromance with the P2000, I have also considered an optic installation. However, I understand the installation with an RMR/Acro sized optic to be orders of magnitude harder than with a striker like the VP9. Apparently the plates need to actively retain some springs and/or pins. I have wondered about a minimally intrusive install with a RMS Shield, but that seems an optic below the durability of the P2000.

I consider Default to be our forum expert on this as he modified several P30 pistols for an optic.

Mark D
04-19-2020, 12:26 PM
As part of my bromance with the P2000, I have also considered an optic installation. However, I understand the installation with an RMR/Acro sized optic to be orders of magnitude harder than with a striker like the VP9. Apparently the plates need to actively retain some springs and/or pins.

I consider Default to be our forum expert on this as he modified several P30 pistols for an optic.

Thanks GJM, good point about the pins and/or springs. I notice there's two roll pins that penetrate the top of the P2000 slide. I've never disassembled the slide, but they appear to secure the firing pin and extractor. Presumably these would need to be shortened and then capped by the base of the optic.

I'm interested to hear about Default's experience. Or anyone else who's tried to mount a dot on a P series or USP.

David S.
04-19-2020, 12:49 PM
Contact L&M Precision. Google found some dude on HKPro who got Mark to mount an RMR for him, so it appears possible.

GJM
04-19-2020, 12:57 PM
I thing BUIS are also more difficult with an optic on a P series — they look BIG.

Default.mp3
04-19-2020, 06:54 PM
To be perfectly honest, I'm probably not the best person to ask, simply because I have zero experience with any other folks and other platforms, so the best I can say is that I've not had any issues outside of a slightly loose rear sight dovetail on one of my ACRO guns (would slowly drift under recoil, remedied with some Loctite 271). Other than that, I abused it quite a bit over the years when I had RMRs on them, and never had an issue that wasn't due to my own error (used an RMR screw that was too long to mount, and deformed the adapter plate, which Mark fixed right up for me); never lost zero, never had the RMRs go out (Type 1s, used the BattleWerx anti-flicker plate about halfway through their lives). Sight picture on the ACROs give using Dawson Precision fiber suppressor fronts and some Ameriglo (I think) Glock suppressor rear puts it at about 1/4th co-witness, so the front sight will poke up to about 1/3rd up the sight picture when centering the dot in the ACRO. Not the cleanest of sight pictures, but not bad either (seen my friend with a DPP on a P320 with DPP height front sights, shit was pretty bad there).

I will say that Mark has always been a pleasure to work with, with excellent comms via email, something that seems to be a rarity in the gun industry.

The adapter plates do hold in roll pins and detents, hence the need for them rather than direct mounts. AFAIK, the P2000 and P30 will be quite similar mechanically behind the firing pin, so anyone that can mill for a P30 can probably mill for a P2000, but as you noted, folks willing to take on hammer-fired guns are very rare. IIRC, Mark does have to shorten the roll pins, which will be visible under the optic, IIRC. Don't think I have any pictures of what it looks like under the RMR, but you could always ask Mark.

On BUIS, for my RMRs, I ran Dawson tritum fronts that were 0.330" tall, so not terrible, nothing as bad as what people are using to use DPP integral rear sights.

Mark D
04-19-2020, 10:50 PM
The adapter plates do hold in roll pins and detents, hence the need for them rather than direct mounts. AFAIK, the P2000 and P30 will be quite similar mechanically behind the firing pin, so anyone that can mill for a P30 can probably mill for a P2000, but as you noted, folks willing to take on hammer-fired guns are very rare. IIRC, Mark does have to shorten the roll pins, which will be visible under the optic, IIRC. Don't think I have any pictures of what it looks like under the RMR, but you could always ask Mark.

On BUIS, for my RMRs, I ran Dawson tritum fronts that were 0.330" tall, so not terrible, nothing as bad as what people are using to use DPP integral rear sights.

Thanks Default. Good info.

wmu12071
04-20-2020, 01:43 AM
I have wondered about a minimally intrusive install with a RMS Shield, but that seems an optic below the durability of the P2000.

Would you consider the 407k/507k more durable?

Maca
04-20-2020, 06:05 AM
I recently posted in a similar thread about my experience with mounting an RMR on an HK45C, with Mark (L and M) doing the work.

The work was flawless, but i am not sure that the juice is worth the squeeze as the gun became very tall, relatively speaking.

Mark D
04-20-2020, 10:17 PM
I recently posted in a similar thread about my experience with mounting an RMR on an HK45C, with Mark (L and M) doing the work.

The work was flawless, but i am not sure that the juice is worth the squeeze as the gun became very tall, relatively speaking.

It looks great, Maca. Is the gun just too big now?

Maca
04-21-2020, 05:36 AM
It looks great, Maca. Is the gun just too big now?

In short, yes.

dkv
05-26-2020, 06:10 AM
I had L&M mill my P2000sk for a RMR last month.
It is quality work and I have not noticed a detrimental increase in height with regards to concealment.

CCT125US
05-26-2020, 06:47 AM
I had L&M mill my P2000sk for a RMR last month.
It is quality work and I have not noticed a detrimental increase in height with regards to concealment.

Certainly others, as well as myself, would like to see pictures of that.

dkv
05-26-2020, 08:12 AM
~3:15 IWB. One ear pokes out over the belt by a few mm.

Mark D
05-26-2020, 09:35 AM

Looks great. Couple questions:
1. Did L&M do the sights too?
2. Is there a plate you can install if. for some reason, you decide to run the pistol without the optic?
Thanks in advance.

dkv
05-26-2020, 12:00 PM
L&M did the sights. I opted for the plain black (non-tritium). The suppressor heights look ridiculous, a shark fin, but I got over it quickly.

There is not plate. The thought never occurred to me.

Default.mp3
05-26-2020, 12:18 PM
2. Is there a plate you can install if. for some reason, you decide to run the pistol without the optic?AFAIK, Mark Housel does not do user-changeable plates, due to the fact that the roll pin extends into the adapter plate; his argument is that removal of the roll pin renders this beyond the means of most customers to safely swap between different adapter plates. I suppose you could order a top plate specifically to fill the void in the adapter plate when the optic is removed, but I don't see a point to that, as the plate overhangs the sides anyway on the H&Ks.

flyrodr
05-26-2020, 08:11 PM
Looks great. Couple questions:
1. Did L&M do the sights too?
2. Is there a plate you can install if. for some reason, you decide to run the pistol without the optic?
Thanks in advance.

Mark has made me cover (not adapter) plates for a couple of different brands/models of guns (but not an HK). The only time I've actually used one was when I decided to sell one of the guns but wanted to keep the optic. But they do fit well (as for an M&P, keeping the small parts in place, and looking very much "original" and matching the slide color.

Mark D
05-26-2020, 11:28 PM
Great info. Thanks for contributing, folks.

DMCutter
05-27-2020, 08:46 PM
My USPC9 is at L&M for an RMR installation as we speak. Hopefully I'll have it back for my birthday 6/21. I've never seen a negative comment about Mark's work.

CCT125US
05-27-2020, 09:01 PM
My USPC9 is at L&M for an RMR installation as we speak. Hopefully I'll have it back for my birthday 6/21. I've never seen a negative comment about Mark's work.

I'll be looking forward to your thoughts on it, as well as pics. I have been thinking about getting something milled, just not sure which one.

LtDave
05-31-2020, 10:53 AM
Wright Armory in Mesa, AZ can probably do the work as well.

DMCutter
06-12-2020, 08:12 PM
Got my slide back today from L&M. Flawless work. He could not get the tritium rear sights from Dawson so I went with tritium front and black rear. Dimensionally almost identical to my MR920 and 320X Compact (except of course the threaded barrel). Hopefully I'll get to the range this weekend but I can't imagine there will be anything about it that I won't like-this has always been my favorite pistol. Bonus-still fits perfectly in my Guard Dog OWB holster.

dontshakepandas
06-12-2020, 09:42 PM
Got my slide back today from L&M. Flawless work. He could not get the tritium rear sights from Dawson so I went with tritium front and black rear. Dimensionally almost identical to my MR920 and 320X Compact (except of course the threaded barrel). Hopefully I'll get to the range this weekend but I can't imagine there will be anything about it that I won't like-this has always been my favorite pistol. Bonus-still fits perfectly in my Guard Dog OWB holster.

What was your turn around time? He’s got one of my slides right now and the warning message on his website makes me a little nervous.

DMCutter
06-12-2020, 10:11 PM
Arrived at his shop 5/8 and he shipped it back 6/10, so just over a month. I sent him the RMR with my slide and decided I could live without tritium rear sights. Guess it depends on the particulars of your order. Good luck with it...

kip.duff
05-28-2022, 05:15 PM
Wright Armory in Mesa, AZ can probably do the work as well.

I'm considering A HK P2000, and discussed red-dot slide conversion details with them (Wright Armory) yesterday. $475 with co-witness- 6-8 weeks turnaround. Can't remember if they use adapter plates, or do machining for individual optic. Seems too expensive to me.

I'm in CA and AFAIK, there are no new semi-auto pistol options with factory pre-milled set up like Glock MOS or Walther PDP. If I lived in another state, I would buy the Walther PDP tomorrow.