PDA

View Full Version : Apex J-Frame kit?

Nephrology
05-21-2012, 05:55 AM
So i picked up a 442 airweight yesterday for a song (289) and have quickly grown to love the thing. it will serve for pocket carry when I simply can't do another gun.

The trigger however...leaves something to be desired. Obviously this is not an IDPA gun but I'd like to be able to sort of hit what i'm shooting at.

Does anyone have any experience with the Apex j frame duty/carry kit? how easy is it to install on your own? coming from glocks, I have been pretty babied... and don't want to get a "bag o gun" !

peterb
05-21-2012, 07:26 AM
Some reviews here: http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?741-Apex-Tactical-J-Frame-Enhancement-Kit&highlight=apex+j-frame

shootist26
05-21-2012, 12:25 PM
Apex kit is great! I just followed along to the installation video on youtube. I didn't need any special tools or anything. The time I installed the kit was also the first time I ever even opened up a revolver, much less changing out parts. It is very straightforward.

Nephrology
05-21-2012, 05:44 PM
Apex kit is great! I just followed along to the installation video on youtube. I didn't need any special tools or anything. The time I installed the kit was also the first time I ever even opened up a revolver, much less changing out parts. It is very straightforward.

You didn't need the "picklefork revolver tool"? What did you use to put that spring back?

shootist26
05-21-2012, 09:17 PM
You didn't need the "picklefork revolver tool"? What did you use to put that spring back?

i didn't use it. I used a very thin screwdriver and kind of just worked the spring back in.

Joe in PNG
05-22-2012, 05:50 AM
i didn't use it. I used a very thin screwdriver and kind of just worked the spring back in.

Same here.

Jac
05-22-2012, 07:20 AM

Sounds familiar. :)

PaulL
05-22-2012, 08:05 AM
I also installed mine with the screwdriver. I suggest buying the tool if you can justify it. It'll save you a little bit of headache.

The reset on mine was a bit sticky at first, also, but I installed it before I even shot the gun (second 442 for me). After some good dry fire and a couple of range trips, it was good to go. Highly recommended.

The big hole is a 5-shot group at 7 yards. Don't let people tell you a J-frame isn't an accurate gun. I never could get a group quite that tight with the stock trigger, FWIW.

http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj523/paulmlaw/cbfd5512.jpg

SeriousStudent
05-25-2012, 10:50 PM
I installed one in a 642 at the dinner table, it took about an hour. That included digging out the videos on Youtube, watching them on the laptop whilst replacing the parts. I also used a nice Japanese water stone to polish some of the internals while I was in there, as Scott Folk suggests.

For $25, it's a very easy decision to make. The pull was much, much better. I've carried a 642 for a long dang time, and consider this a very wise investment.

CCT125US
07-12-2012, 08:57 PM
Does anyone have before and after pull weights?

SeriousStudent
07-13-2012, 12:33 AM
I can track down a gauge, and tell you the "after". I honestly did not write down the pull beforehand.

Not a cop out, but I think that just a weight by itself can be a little misleading. i have a couple of pistols with heavier weight pulls that feel very smooth and therefore lighter.

The kit has not only made it a little lighter, but much smoother with a more controllable pull. I have correspondingly better groups.

MDFA
07-13-2012, 07:20 PM
Well worth the money and time to install. While you're at it, follow the suggestion on the video and polish up the internals they suggest.

DBR
10-16-2012, 07:09 PM
A small Philips screw driver works very well for replacing the rebound spring.

Push the tip of the screw driver into the end of the spring with one of the flutes lined up with the top of the frame pin. There is just enough of the end coil exposed by the flute to catch the coil against the top edge of the pin. Keep pressure down on the rebound block as you remove the screw driver and you can force the spring down behind he pin.

Kyle Reese
12-27-2012, 09:08 PM
I'm on the cusp of picking up a 442 J-Frame, and will add the Apex kit to it based on the recommendations here. I'll also hit up Dark Star for an AIWB holster.

CCT125US
12-27-2012, 10:19 PM
I'm on the cusp of picking up a 442 J-Frame, and will add the Apex kit to it based on the recommendations here. I'll also hit up Dark Star for an AIWB holster.

Awesome, I ordered a no lock on July 2nd and it showed up several weeks ago at the FFL. I will be picking it up come January, putting an Apex kit in it, and you guessed it, have a DSG AIWB on order.... please don't get black, that would odd.

ST911
12-28-2012, 01:19 AM

I am a gear/widget cynic, and find that most aftermarket "improvements" aren't. The Apex duty/carry kit is one of the few that actually is. All my working J-frames have one installed.