PDA

View Full Version : Tailcap and tape switch for Protac Rail Mount 2?

awp_101
04-18-2020, 05:40 PM
I picked up one of these (https://www.streamlight.com/en/products/detail/index/protac-rail-mount-2)a couple of years ago but either it wasn't available with the tailcap and remote switch or it was an extra cost option I didn't pop for at the time. Now I want the tailcap and switch but I'm not finding them separate. Unless my google-fu has gone soft (always a possibility), it's either replace the whole thing with the new version that comes with everything or cobble something together at almost the same cost.

Am I missing something obvious or am I just going to have to take my lumps and replace it to get what I'm looking for?

Thanks!

Casual Friday
04-18-2020, 05:56 PM
I would get the Surefire adapter from Arisaka and use a Surefire tailcap and switch. The Streamlight switches are garbage.

awp_101
04-18-2020, 06:23 PM
Thanks, that's one of the options I saw but it looks like the adapter plus new cap and switch is about $60 more than just replacing what I've got with new. Granted that would come with the Streamlight switch so I'll have to take that into consideration.

I need to dig deeper and do more price checks before committing one way or the other.

snow white
04-18-2020, 06:58 PM
Funny this thread came up because I'm going through the same thing. I am about to punt the tail cap of my HL-X to the moon. The adapter for the HL-X is sold out almost everywhere, I just baught one from optics planet. Only place I could find one...

TGS
04-18-2020, 07:00 PM
I would get the Surefire adapter from Arisaka and use a Surefire tailcap and switch. The Streamlight switches are garbage.

Do the Streamlight switches tend to fail or something?

Casual Friday
04-18-2020, 07:38 PM
Do the Streamlight switches tend to fail or something?

In my experience, yes, they are fragile and the light will turn off if you turn the rotating tailcap. The vendor was good about replacing them, but I had problems with each one and ultimately gave up on them and went the Arisaka/Surefire route for the one that I kept. I was gung-ho for $100 WML's with the pressure switch included but they just weren't reliable for me.

El Cid
04-18-2020, 07:51 PM
Would this work? I haven’t used it but I have two of their OWL’s and am very impressed with them.

https://www.clouddefensive.com/product/lcs-streamlight/

Casual Friday
04-18-2020, 07:54 PM
Would this work? I haven’t used it but I have two of their OWL’s and am very impressed with them.

https://www.clouddefensive.com/product/lcs-streamlight/

Those are good for cord management but he's looking for the pressure switch and tailcap.

El Cid
04-18-2020, 07:59 PM
Those are good for cord management but he's looking for the pressure switch and tailcap.

Yea. Never mind. I thought it came with the pad and tailcap.

Chuck Whitlock
04-20-2020, 08:54 PM

Thanks! I wasn't aware these adapters existed.