PDA

View Full Version : From the Fudd Files: IWB for your Blackhawk

Totem Polar
04-17-2020, 09:27 PM
So long as I am trying to boost my COVID content, I may as well throw a Q&D for this holster up here. I got this kit, because, more than one Flattop medium-frame BH in the safe that I can use it with. Clearly, it's not the sort of rig one would use every day (unless you're an extra playing an old guy on "Longmire"), but the craftsmanship is excellent--although the leather quality is more like 'acceptable.' This is from his "direct line," which is Barranti's term for items he tries to keep in stock. In the venerable "Nelson-esque" mould, this is his "Summer Classic," available in any model you want--so long as it's a Gov't 1911, a Commander, or a Colt SAA or Ruger sized to match on their medium frame. The upside of this limitation is, #1, if you don't own a 1911 and a BH you suck (:D) and, #2, the wait time was nothing; it was in my mailbox in under a week from ordering, IIRC. Pretty cool if you have the idiosyncratic need to pack a hogleg IWB or even AIWB. I'll be figuring out how to elastic wrap a current-think foam wedge to the back for AIWB to lever the butt in. At any rate, link and pic:

https://barrantileather.com/shop/ols/products/direct-line-summer-classic

BarryinIN
04-17-2020, 10:04 PM
Hmmm. Maybe I could justify this by saying it gave me a handy dandy quick on/off holster. Yeah, that's it. I want it for the convenience.

Trooper224
04-17-2020, 10:15 PM
Years ago, I knew a Lieutenant who lived in John Wayne fantasy land. He carried a single-action off duty and would have been all over that.

Totem Polar
04-17-2020, 10:40 PM
Years ago, I knew a Lieutenant who lived in John Wayne fantasy land. He carried a single-action off duty and would have been all over that.

For a while, the town of Palouse, WA had a single cop. He carried a spyderco police model as his primary. I shit you not; I got pulled on the way through town once, and he came to the driver’s side doing the ‘spyder drop’ and asked for my DL and registration (early 90s, before proof of insurance) leaning on the window with the spyderco open in his hand.

The shooting community thought it was a bit eccentric, but he was actually a pretty cool guy to talk to. We got along well, since I was a grad of Eric Remmen’s "clipit" course, and liked spydercos.

Takes all kinds, as the saying goes.

03RN
04-17-2020, 11:51 PM
Probably good it isnt available for the normal blackhawk cuz id want one:o

Totem Polar
04-18-2020, 02:05 AM
Probably good it isnt available for the normal blackhawk cuz id want one:o

Oh, you can get one for the larger frame—it just takes longer.

You’re welcome.

;)

45dotACP
04-18-2020, 10:02 AM
Man...tis a good thing I don't own a Blackhawk anymore

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Dave T
04-18-2020, 10:59 AM
OOPS! Posted twice. The one below has a correction I tried to make to this one but messed up. (lol)

Dave

Dave T
04-18-2020, 11:06 AM
Had an older deputy at my department who channeled Wyatt and Bat. He wanted to carry his 2nd Gen Colt 44 WCF off duty. I had initiated an off duty weapon qualification and he approached me about qualifying. He said he shot his SAA way more than his Government 45 and I told him to try it and see what happened.

First stage was two rounds from concealment in 2 seconds. These weren't competitors, just cops who for the most part didn't practice. The cowboy actually beat a couple of the other shooters who showed up for that session. Through the rest of the course he did well, getting more center hits than most. It wasn't until the reload stage that he had any problem. It was a fire 2, reload, and fire 2 exercise. He was almost as fast as the guy with a J-frame S&W but, both of them were over the time limit, dropping the points for the late shots. If memory serves he got a 236 out of 250, which was 94%. Passing was 90% or better.

He qualified again the next year, then retired. Last I heard he was still carrying his 44 WCF single action.

Dave

PS: In case any of you SAA fans protest that Colt didn't chamber the 2nd Gen SAA in 44 WCF, you are correct. This guy bought a 44 Special and had the cylinder re-chambered to 44 WCF (44-40) because he had a late production Winchester 92 in that chambering.

JTMcC
04-18-2020, 11:31 AM
Sweeeeeeeet.

HeavyDuty
04-18-2020, 11:41 AM
I like Barranti - he made a great OWB for my 5152. I do carry it when I’m in the north woods. Don’t tempt me with an IWB...

Poconnor
04-18-2020, 03:41 PM
I don’t see anything wrong with carrying a single action revolver. I ordered a milt Sparks summer special ll back in December for my ruger 4 5/8 flattop. It should arrive soon. We can dress around our carry gun but often we end up carrying what works with our dress. If I’m okay with a J frame in my pocket I would certainly be ok with a 44 Special in my waistband. But I will be the first person to admit that it would not be my everyday carry.

Bigghoss
04-18-2020, 04:14 PM
Man...tis a good thing I don't own a Blackhawk anymore

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

That's never a good thing. You should fix that.

BN
04-18-2020, 06:11 PM
What kind of holster did McCloud use? ;)

Through the rest of the course he did well, getting more center hits than most. It wasn't until the reload stage that he had any problem. It was a fire 2, reload, and fire 2 exercise. He was almost as fast as the guy with a J-frame S&W but, both of them were over the time limit, dropping the points for the late shots. If memory serves he got a 236 out of 250, which was 94%. Passing was 90% or better.

If someone gets good hits through most of the course, then they can often eat some points on the reload stage and still pass.

Dave T
04-18-2020, 09:08 PM
What kind of holster did McCloud use? ;)

If I remember correctly, this was in the mid 1980s, he had a Roy Baker Pancake for his 4-3/4" SAA.

And you are right, he lost 10 points for the two late shots on the reload stage, but only dropped 4 additional points for the rest of the course. I remember a lot of this because I frankly didn't expect him to qualify and was impressed by how well he did. I don't remember as much about the second qualification because I had seen him do it already.

And keep in mind this was qualifying for off duty carry. His uniform duty weapon of choice was a Government Model 45, although I always suspected, had the department allowed it he might have carried his SAA in uniform. (smile)

Dave

SCCY Marshal
04-19-2020, 03:56 AM
...Last I heard he was still carrying his 44 WCF single action.

Dave

PS: In case any of you SAA fans protest that Colt didn't chamber the 2nd Gen SAA in 44 WCF, you are correct. This guy bought a 44 Special and had the cylinder re-chambered to 44 WCF (44-40) because he had a late production Winchester 92 in that chambering.

There's a man knows how to party. Also going to show this IWB to a buddy who has a habit of dropping a 44 Special SA revolver in his jacket pocket or waistband on his runs to the Stop-N-Rob. Might also have to measure the barrel on my old model Vaquero when I finish rebuilding it. Bit of money for a non carry gun on my end but neat enough I may cave.

Poconnor
04-26-2020, 07:59 PM
My Milt Sparks summer special for my flattop Blackhawk arrived. 52865

BarryinIN
04-27-2020, 03:27 AM
That's real nice also.

Rex G
04-27-2020, 09:08 AM
I have had a Milt Sparks Summer Special for an SAA, for a number of years, though I rarely carry IWB behind the hip, due to the discomfort factor, and, was mandated by my employer, a PD, to only carry handguns with which I had qual’ed, for the record. SA revolvers were disallowed. I can use this rig, for short periods of time, before it starts bothering me, and, sometimes, I am in the mood.

I recently took delivery of a pre-owned Barranti IWB, as shown in the original post. Time will tell whether I start totin’ an SA sixgun with any regularity. Retirement means carrying what I choose, nowadays. If I like the Barranti, enough, I will order the lefty version.

I see nothing wrong with a single-action sixgun for personal-defensive carry. I reckon that it can beat a J-Snub, especially in the hands of a lefty, in a sustained-fire situation, as topping-up, using the loading gate, while maintaining a firing grip with the left hand, is practicable. (A right-hander can maintain a firing grip, while reloading a J-Snub.) As I see it, neither an SA sixgun nor a J-Snub is an ideal gunfightin’ tool, as each has limitations.

The “solution” is obvious: Tote a J, and an SAA. ;)

I was a big-city PD patrolman for 33+ years, and do not see an SA sixgun as a best police duty handgun, though I only needed to fire one shot, during my career, so, would have been sufficiently-served by an SA sixgun.

Stephanie B
04-27-2020, 12:41 PM
Well.... about fifteen years ago, I'd go for a walk in an area that had an issue with feral dogs. I didn't exactly have a lot of guns, but I did have an Italian SAA clone (4-5/8th in barrel in Gawd's own caliber) and a holster that had IWB loops.

I never had to use it, but it was comforting.

I need to dig up the holster and Karma it.

Dave T
05-01-2020, 10:16 AM
Rex, I would love to have a Milt Sparks Summer Special for a SAA. I knew Milt and Bonnie and owned many holsters made by him back in the old days. I had him build a custom duty rig for me as I did not favor the department issue Safariland stuff. I wore it any time I had to be in uniform during my stint as a detective and after being assigned to the academy as the chief firearms instructor/range master. Had him build a duty rig for my wife too. She wore it daily during her two year LEO career.

Don't know if I could manage a SAA (or clone) IWB for long these days but I'd have to try it if I had the right holster.

Dave

JTMcC
05-01-2020, 05:41 PM
My Milt Sparks summer special for my flattop Blackhawk arrived. 52865

That's just sexy.

Tennessee Jed
05-01-2020, 06:58 PM

I've shared this before, but I'm a dork who gets excited about IWB holsters for single action revolvers, so I have to share this again. It's a Lobo Gun Leather IWB for my Ruger Lipsey's Flattop Convertible Blackhawk (45 acp and 45 Colt). With a 5.5 inch barrel, the draw stroke is mighty long, but I'm a tall guy with long arms so I don't mind.