PDA

View Full Version : Hunting/semi-precision optic: Leupold VX-Freedom 3-9 TMOA

ASH556
04-17-2020, 08:06 AM
Partly inspired by this post from littlejerry along with some previous experience: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?41793-SPRs-Mk12s-Recces-SDMRs-and-SAM-Rs-oh-my!&p=1029002&viewfull=1#post1029002

I've tried my hand at long range precision shooting enough in the past 17 years to known it's not my thing. Lack of available places to shoot beyond 200yds is a significant factor. That being said, I like hunting with a suppressed AR and I also like having the ability to deliver precision (not necessarily long range). Thus, as much as I love my 10.3 SBR with Aimpoint T1, it's not always the best tool. I'm going to build this upper around a Colt 14.5" SOCOM barrel as I've found them to deliver excellent accuracy while still being "duty grade;" plus I already have one on-hand.

Now to the optic. I've had a lot of high end optics over the years including multiple Nightforce 2.5-10's (a 24 and a 32), an NX8, as well as several Leupold Mk 4's. I don't want turrets or a FFP reticle for this scope. At one point through the Leupold Custom Shop I got exactly what I wanted for this application: VX3i 3.5-10x40 with TMR reticle. That way, you have the low profile capped turrets, but quick and easy holds to get to 500yds (should the need arise). I sold that scope a couple years ago when I got my NX8, but it seems now the Leupold Custom Shop is shut down (pre-Covid).

That said, other than being MOA instead of TMR (mils), the VX-Freedom 3-9 TMOA looks like it would fit the bill and best of all, it's only like $200. I see they also make a VX-Freedom AR 3-9, which has the TMR reticle, but it also has exposed turrets, which is a no-go for me after having too many of them move (including a VXR-Patrol 3-9, which I assume would be very similar).

Anyone have thoughts or experience with these?

LittleLebowski
04-17-2020, 08:07 AM
CS Tactical

TGS
04-17-2020, 08:56 AM
No experience with those options, but I have a $200 Vortex Diamondback and the glass is excellent for the money. I don't want to say that I can't tell the difference between it and my $1000 Trijicon, but....... :o

I imagine the difference in quality would be more readily apparent in practical use at 600 yards or in low light.

Wholly recommend. It's going on my MSSR build since I have it lying around as a spare optic (and since they actually used a 3-9x40 BDC).

CS Tactical
04-17-2020, 11:39 AM
CS Tactical

I hope I'll be able to come back later and assist, but I'm not making a mistake of juggling 50 things and getting someone angry. :cool:

littlejerry
04-17-2020, 12:10 PM
No experience with the Leupold, but in that 3-9 category id also look for one of the 3-9 Trijicon Accupowers. They can be had with a Mil or MOA reticle. Or the SWFA ultralight 2.5-10

I've used a VX Freedom 2-7 and it was pretty nice for the price.

frozentundra
04-17-2020, 12:58 PM
SWFA is currently running a deal for a free Aero Precision mount with their 2.5-10 ultralight with 5.56 BDC.
https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-2-5-10x32-ultralight-rifle-scope-w-aero-mount.html

I have this scope and love it. However, I currently have it on a 7.62x39 bolt gun. I'm trying to convince myself I don't need another one.

One interesting thing about the design is the ability to set zero and then dial with the low-profile, capped, reset-able turrets. Based on my experience, and some feedback from guys at SWFA forums, they seem to track remarkably well for a scope of this type. You can zero it with a hunting load and then dial to a plinking load and back again. If you wanted, you could have precise zero values recorded for multiple different loads at different temperatures/altitudes. You can also remove the cap and dial it like a true precision scope if the mood strikes you.

I am trying to hold out for the mil reticle version that is supposed to be released eventually.

msstate56
04-17-2020, 09:33 PM
No experience with the Leupold, but in that 3-9 category id also look for one of the 3-9 Trijicon Accupowers. They can be had with a Mil or MOA reticle...
I just got one of these. Using it on a 6.8 SPC 16” AR. I used to have a 2.5-10x32 NF, but the low light performance was lacking. I also wanted capped turrets, but still have a MIL reticle for hold off/holdover. The 3-9 AccuPower checks all those boxes. I’ve got the red mil square reticle. So far I like it. It’s got some edge distortion, but clear inside the reticle. With half mil marks, and the mil squares, I can make accurate holds out to 500. And it’s fairly light, so it doesn’t “over power” a carbine. I just wish it was a 30mm tube instead of 1”.