PDA

View Full Version : ECQC: Rainbow Bruises and Unicorn Scabs

BaiHu
05-20-2012, 11:51 AM
May 13-15 Wallingford, CT
Hosted by Mitchell Esq.

About me:
In order to give some perspective about the reviewer, I think it is best I relate where I came from and why I chose to attend ECQC with Craig/SouthNarc.
Age: 38 (my birthday present to myself was this course and it started that day)
Size: 5'6" 130# Wet Cat.
Martial Experience: 25 yrs of martial arts. 15 years full time teacher of martial arts. No, I don't teach Take My Dough (TKD).
Ground Experience: Zip.
Knife Experience: Nothing more than curiosity.
Pistol Experience: Dabbling in shooting since I was a pre-teen, but really didn't get in whole hog until the last 3-4 years. Plenty of NRA and local classes under my belt.
Mil/LEO Experience: Zip.
Recommendations: TGS took the course in Culpepper back in March and said I'd love it given my background.
Expectations: Wreck my sh*t, be a sponge and hope that it wouldn't mean sponging up my own blood, puke, sweat and tears.

The Man
It's hard not to become smitten with Craig, so being a fanboy is an instructional hazard. Meaning, if you've chosen to study with Craig, you most likely know a bit about his background and you can't help but respect that he's served his time in the fire and knowing that makes you want to be pushed by someone who hasn't been broken.

Craig's an awesome man and a world class teacher. The kinda guy that you just want to sit and have a meal, a beer and look at skirts with all day shooting the breeze. He's the kind of guy you'd want at your back, but preferably leading the charge to eff sh*t up, but also the guy you'd feel comfortable having over for dinner with your ultra polite, pinky-in-air grandma, who thinks dirt under your nails is fit for corporal punishment. In simpler terms, he's a balanced warrior-a samurai if you'd like, but my nickname would be High Priest of Pain.

He can speak as if he's still a UC and you're just a bunch of thugs he's looking to score from or he can articulate in three words what would ordinarily take other professionals a book, a week seminar and a portrait.

The Class
Don't blink, b/c Craig doesn't waste time. What you learn in the first hour will carry through to your last breath. I'm not going to go over the course material, but I am going to go over my impressions of each section.

Day 1
Criminal Assault Paradigm
Unequal Initiative Events
Managing Unknown Contacts (MUC)
Practical Unarmed Combat (PUC)

I knew some of what he would cover under the first 3 from my own studies, but the package Craig puts together is tight. Easily understandable, very clear, very informative and carries through every second of the 3 days. Even if you knew everything that he was going to discuss, like some people, who were coming for their second time (which I will be doing next year), it bears repeating and his language is very well thought out.

Regarding the PUC, he has a very unique method (to me at least) that quickly illuminates to a novice or an expert how and why one must establish a good foundation or 'base' with your lower body. You will earn your Unicorn Scab here.You will learn his default cover method, which again is a brilliant and a simple cover position which will protect you from the most common types of strikes and it won't take you years to learn. Lastly, you will learn a simple effective strike that doesn't require years of training and bag work to be effective.

My Unicorn scab 1 week later and it extends up into my hairline-tough to see.
http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx38/djdemarco/Pistol%20Forum/20120520_120358.jpg

Day 2
Combative Draw Stroke (CBS)
Building #2 Position
Firing Throughout Horizontal Line
Off-hand Fending Positions
Default Position
Basic Empty Hand Blows
Theory of In-Fight Weapon Access (IFWA)
Grounded Basics

Here's where the rubber really met the road for me regarding my pistol work and martial work. Day 1 got me psyched getting to know the crew and seeing how articulate, capable and concise Craig was as a teacher, but now it's on!

I can't say enough about the efficacy of his language and presentation of material. The first 3 parts from CBS to firing along the horizontal line are incredibly relevant to us PT/F guys. Everything he teaches in ECQC supports what we do here. What I found particularly useful in cleaning up my presentation/press out was the firing throughout the horizontal line of presentation. I was having a real crappy month or so of shooting prior to ECQC and these 3 parts really re-built my confidence again and it felt good.

From off-hand fending to basic empty hand blows, Craig doesn't waste time. He gets in, gives you elemental and effective tools and gives you REPS! I haven't mentioned this yet, but as much as I'm impressed with his ability to articulate, Craig gives you monstrous numbers of reps to work out given the compressed time that is available. You will not be 'fast-forwarding through commercials'.

IFWA is money! In-fight weapons access is the lynch pin, IMO that ties day 1 and 2 together. IFWA, if I were to bestow a title upon Craig, is his crowning achievement. Don't take this as me being in an authority passing judgement upon Craig, take this as a guy who has worked his own ass off for 25 years in his own art (albeit unarmed) and has a) never come up with such a succinct language as IFWA and b) such an important concept when talking about switching from unarmed to armed combat. This is what I paid for and I got my 7 course meal and a bag a chips to boot.

Last part of Day 2 was ground basics. Even if you're a BJJ guy and this is old hat, you get to roll it with some good guys and help those who are new to groundwork and that will always improve your skill set if you are capable of helping out guys like me. I didn't see one guy, who had ground work experience, say, "Aw man, I already know this, can we move on?" As a matter of fact, no one ever said or felt that way about anything no matter how 'expert' they might have been with any given unit and I was in a class with some Mil/LEO operators IIRC.

Day 3
Challenging Potential Attacker
Preemptive Weapon Access
Multiple Attackers
Negotiating FUT
ECQ Handgun Retention In Holster
ECQ Handgun Retention Out of Holster
Handgun Recovery
Handgun Striking

On this day you will recognize the whole package coming together. What was seemingly foreign to you on day one will become your baseline entering into the 3rd day. Now is where you begin to try and 'live' with the information you've been given.

Our final evo was 2 on 1 and it was as random as could be. Maybe you were a smooth talker and your MUC was working so well that neither party bothered you or maybe both guys had a hard on for you and 'they drank your milkshake'. All of life's possibilities get thrown into the muck when you're MUC'ing on the last day. Since it was raining, it was particularly mucky for us on this final day.

I came to ECQC to fail and I think I learned to fail well. If you don't want to fail during ECQC, then you won't be thinking about what to do when you fail. Fighting is nothing if you're not Thinking.

All of Craig's techniques are well thought out and easily verifiable to see if they work, but it takes a massive number of consensual repetitions and non-consensual repetitions before you can run this live like a champ. It is why you should start a crew to practice with when you get back. As for me, I've already got TGS here and we're gonna run the curriculum the best we can this weekend.

The Men
Douche-Free Zone as Craig puts it and it holds true. There wasn't a guy there that wouldn't drink your milkshake and then graciously pour you a new one. Everyone showed up with a good attitude and we had a great time, but one guy really shined for me, b/c he really put his heart and soul into it and his name is Joe. So if he's reading this, I just drank your milkshake :cool:

The Host
I know Mitchell is our resident 'get the crook out of jail free' guy here, but at one time in my life, I was a guy who used to salt slabs of beef at a kosher deli in order to make ends meet, so...take the lawyer/liar stuff with a grain of salt-Mitchell certainly does and he's got thick skin, so he's fun to rib and get ribbed right back.

Anyway, I got to know Mitchell a bit more during the last two days and he's a funny, fast-talking, lawyer from Connecticut, so all of those stereotypes apply, but then there's more. He's a guy that works his ass off and is out there finding good instructors, training hard with them, asking good questions, pushing himself, making ECQC happen for a guy like me and will bail your ass out if you're in CT, so that's a pretty big bonus to all of his other generic stereotypes.

Lastly, he's educating himself with ECQC and other gunmanship in order to better understand the lay of the land and become a better lawyer so if any of us gun guys do find ourselves in front of the pointier stick of the law, guys like Mitchell will have an understanding of what real life can throw at you.

My Gear
I didn't wear a cup or a mouth piece. It is recommended and if you're not used to being in that environment, then it's better to have it on hand then not at all. Definitely bring some rain gear, b/c we got rained on half the time we were there-particularly steady on the 3rd day. If you have a pair, bring water proof boots too, b/c that definitely kept the blisters from forming when you're digging into the dirt for purchase. Suntan lotion would've been a good idea if I had thought that far ahead, b/c you're outside for a good 8 hours a day.

I ran my JRC CDA-AIWB and my Keeper's AIWB for my P30 and P30L. Both did extremely well, but I opted to use the Keeper's the last day and a half when it started raining, b/c I just don't know enough about leather to know if I'd eff it up.

My ammo was Aguila and I had 2 over pressured rounds the day before I left when I was doing a function check of my pistols and I had 1 over pressured during class that cleared on a TRB. Other than that, my gear, guns and ammo ran well. Oh, I almost forgot, if you don't have waterproof electronic ear pro, I highly recommend getting your hands on some-it was invaluable during this rainy coursework.

Note to On-The-Job Types
If you are in some type of alphabet soup agency, Craig is very good at being approachable and answering questions about your potentially unique environment.

Hope you find this review helpful and if you'd like more detail on anything I glazed over, then feel free to ask or PM me.

Prdator
05-20-2012, 02:24 PM
Great AAR man!!!!!!

Al T.
05-20-2012, 02:47 PM
Excellent!

that wouldn't drink your milkshake

What in the heck does that mean? :confused:

Sheep Have Wool
05-20-2012, 03:30 PM
What in the heck does that mean? :confused:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=i%20drink%20your%20milkshake

From this scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_hFTR6qyEo&feature=related

Good movie. Epic delivery of that line.

Al T.
05-20-2012, 04:55 PM
Uh. OK, thanks.

BaiHu
05-20-2012, 05:57 PM
Great AAR man!!!!!!

Thanks Prdator! Thanks for the encouragement of making this class a priority along with a holster to make it through ;)

TGS
05-20-2012, 05:57 PM
Uh. OK, thanks.

It's similar to saying "I own you," "you got served," or "you got pwned!"

Prdator
05-20-2012, 07:53 PM
Thanks Prdator! Thanks for the encouragement of making this class a priority along with a holster to make it through ;)

Im really Glad the "Keeper" held up to the hype!!!

And now that you have done ECQC how will it change your Training?? Oh was there anyone running a Clinch Pick?

Good on you dude!! ECQC is a VERY special thing to complete, Providing you do all the Evo's.

BaiHu
05-20-2012, 10:03 PM
Im really Glad the "Keeper" held up to the hype!!!

And now that you have done ECQC how will it change your Training??
Changed my training immediately. I already shared some of the unarmed stuff with some of my top students that I can throw more material on and TGS and I hit the range Saturday and all I did was run the pistol coursework with the vertical elbow/horizontal elbow work. My favorite drill is the vertical on the target, walk back SHO and then 2H going forward until you end at the horizontal elbow with pistol in #2 position.

Oh was there anyone running a Clinch Pick?
I don't recall anyone having a clinch pick on them other than Mitchell's training CP so Craig could demo some stuff.

Good on you dude!! ECQC is a VERY special thing to complete, Providing you do all the Evo's.
Damn Skippy! I wasn't gonna miss out on any second of training. I like to push hard and there were plenty of big boys to push hard against :eek: sorry for PHRASING!!

Mitchell, Esq.
05-21-2012, 06:18 AM
I don't recall anyone having a clinch pick on them other than Mitchell's training CP so Craig could demo some stuff.

That was a spyderco folding knife made WAY before they offered training knives.

I don't have any shivworks blades or trainers.

YET...

Mitchell, Esq.
05-21-2012, 06:27 AM
130# wet cat...Yeah...um...

130# of NFL offensive lineman...That's more like it.
Most of the time I was working with you I was wondering "How in the hell is he so dam strong? What? Am I missing his invisible twin who's pushing too?"

BaiHu
05-21-2012, 07:44 AM
TGS is a master of camouflage-he went with me and did the Predator routine to give me a helping hand during the evos ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

NETim
05-21-2012, 07:54 AM
Great writeup. I'm not sure I could survive that kind of intensity but it would be fun to try it.

Since we're posting pics of training boo-boo's, this is the visible damage I managed to collect from this past weekend's training event (conducted by jthhapkido of this forum.) Sunday morning I counted 11 hits in various other locations.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-WoevTI9spBU/T7g8NqZSN2I/AAAAAAAAA1A/OyjThtCp5q4/s320/IMG_2367.JPG

Yes, I am a bullet sponge.

Dropkick
05-21-2012, 08:02 AM
How did it shape or reshape any goals you have? What training do you feel you want to devote more time to? And what less time to?

Sheep Have Wool
05-21-2012, 08:36 AM
And if we're asking questions: What level of shape does one need to be in to maximize the benefit from this class?

Prdator
05-21-2012, 09:04 AM
And if we're asking questions: What level of shape does one need to be in to maximize the benefit from this class?

What ever shape you are in Rigth Now!!!!! Get signed up do the class do All the Evo's and let that drive the change to your fittness plan!

Mitchell, Esq.
05-21-2012, 09:38 AM

The class is a learning experience that test you, as you are now, to see what your flaws are under realistic conditions of pressure and disadvantage.

Don't look to game the class. Sure, get to the gym and get your endurance up, and if you can get stronger...bonus.

But it's an audit of yourself. To get the maximum benefit from the class, just go, do it as you are, see what falls apart, then work on it.

LOKNLOD
05-21-2012, 09:54 AM
I agree with Prdator and Mitchell - you'll get HUGE benefit from the class no matter your fitness level. Honestly I am embarrassingly out of shape for my age and the class really pushed my limits in terms of aerobic/anaerobic stamina. I gassed quickly and recovered slowly. But I still got more than I expected out of the class.

I will say this though - the less time you're spending desperately trying to filter oxygen out of the atmosphere around you, the better you'll be able to process the skills and lessons in the class. Sign up for the class, and then work to build general fitness in preparation for the class, but don't say "I'll sign up as soon as I'm able to do ______." That's kind of like saying you'll take a basic pistol class as soon as you're already a good shooter...

BaiHu
05-21-2012, 10:24 AM
How did it shape or reshape any goals you have? What training do you feel you want to devote more time to? And what less time to?
My goals, at first, were almost entirely pistol oriented on one side and then entirely martial oriented (my profession) on the other side. Now, I realize how much I need to incorporate the two and no longer separate them. I also had this overwhelming desire to go faster and faster with my pistol craft and that is now a secondary/tertiary concern for me whereas the unarmed/armed 'cross-training' will take precedence as my 'goal' now.

As others already said, come in the shape that you are-you will push as hard as you're capable of being pushed back. I believe I asked this question of Craig at one point and I paraphrase his answer: 'come as you are, everyone will fail.' It was a great relief to hear that statement. It threw all expectations of good/bad/fail/succeed out the window and allowed me to focus on the lessons, not the outcome.

Dropkick
05-21-2012, 11:39 AM
whereas the unarmed/armed 'cross-training' will take precedence as my 'goal' now.
That's a great observation. Integrating the multiple skills (MUC, Standing Grapple, Grounded Grapple, Striking, Firearms, etc.) presented in the course work is where the material really shines. Things fit together and build on one another like a jigsaw puzzle. Working on the skills individually is important, but they all need to integrate and work together seamlessly in the end. My simple gauge for if something could work is based on the basic principles presented by Southnarc. Does it allow me to: stay conscious, stay mobile, control the hands?

I also agree with everyone's comments about fitness level. There is something to gain no matter what level of shape you're in.

TGS
05-23-2012, 12:20 PM
I also agree with everyone's comments about fitness level. There is something to gain no matter what level of shape you're in.

Most definitely. I missed out on a LOT due to not participating in the evos on Sunday, but at the end of the course my words were still, "By the end of day 2, I felt I got my money's worth."

20 hours in this course is worth way more to your personal safety than hundreds of hours in gunslinger courses. Dropkick and I had guys of all fitness levels in our particular course....SF dudes, BJJ and Mauy Thai fighters, a Crossfit instructor, a 300lbs asthmatic service-disabled vet, a similarly overweight paramedic in his 40's (who did complete all evos, BTW), an overweight late 40's year old average dude, a couple mid-life dudes that were in shape but not gym rats by any means, a 230lbs/24% body fat 27 year old brokedick, a couple lanky skinny average young guys, and a dude that I thought was Stevie Ray Vaughan for a second.

Fitness levels ran the gamut. Obviously, being in shape will help with recovery time, but everyone will be gassed. Like predator touched on, there's no golden standard to make other than being able to complete the evos.

overton
05-23-2012, 01:41 PM
Southnarcs contribution to the self defense mind and skill set is really awesome.

But wouldn't it be safer to run the evos in more protective gear? I always thought that is what tony blauer's high gear suit was for. When people in the videos go down hard on hard ground or loose even their fist helmet while being shot ar with sims, I cringe and cant imagine doing that part of class ever.

Jay Cunningham
05-23-2012, 02:13 PM
Southnarcs contribution to the self defense mind and skill set is really awesome.

But wouldn't it be safer to run the evos in more protective gear? I always thought that is what tony blauer's high gear suit was for. When people in the videos go down hard on hard ground or loose even their fist helmet while being shot ar with sims, I cringe and cant imagine doing that part of class ever.

If the helmet flies off Craig will usually pause the evolution - especially if the sim guns are still in play. At least that's what I saw.

NickA
05-23-2012, 02:21 PM
There's a similar thread going over on TPI where many ECQC vets swear that Craig is some kind of savant at managing the action so that no one gets hurt. Serious injuries seem to be just about nonexistent in his classes.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

phil_in_cs
05-23-2012, 02:34 PM
If the helmet flies off Craig will usually pause the evolution - especially if the sim guns are still in play. At least that's what I saw.

Everyone keeps a good eye on that. You intensely focused on your opponent, but you must remain alert to the surrounding. When people yell "helmet! helmet!" or Craig yells "freeze!" you hear it and pay attention. You must pay attention in life too, as you can't get blindsided by a new attacker showing up.

Everyone gets bruises, welts, and a "unicorn scab" but I haven't seen worse than that.

BaiHu
05-23-2012, 02:36 PM

overton,
I would not worry about this at all. Being a teacher for 15 years of multiple levels and many age groups, I can attest with authority, that Craig not only understands how to teach one on one, but he understands how his situational awareness applies to the classroom as well as to 'the street'. You do not get to the level of teaching responsibility and success that Craig as achieved without mastering these principles of awareness in and out of the teaching environment.

At NO point in the 3 days was I a) worried about another students inability to be sensitive to others, b) worried that Craig wasn't on or c) felt that the evo was too high risk and Craig or the students were not prepared, capable or clear in mind/body to perform the activity Craig had in mind.

You are more likely to be seriously injured playing a pick up game of basketball at your local park or YMCA. Perhaps this seems to be an over statement for some people, but having been to ECQC and having taught thousands of people over the last 15 years, I can guarantee Craig has had more flight time than I have with more serious responsibilities than I have regarding training a large group of people.

TGS
05-23-2012, 03:12 PM

What would more protective gear accomplish?

The biggest risk during an evo is falling while entangled:

Protective gear won't keep you safe from breaking an arm or something if you fall entangled. The only thing that will is the due diligence of the belligerents and interaction by Craig as well as students. Everyone is a safety officer.

The second biggest risk is getting shot in the eye with a sims gun:

You wear a FIST helmet and shooting glasses. If either become dislodged when a sims gun is in play, you call it and someone fixes your gear while you hold in place. Your eyes are very well protected.

So, I'm not sure was more protective gear would do for anyone.

SouthNarc
05-23-2012, 04:09 PM
I think what he's suggesting is using the Blauer High Gear helmets instead of FIST helmets because they have a chin strap. The High Gear stuff tends to fly off less. The problem with the High Gear helmets is they don't take impact NEARLY as well as the FIST helmets do, and on the off chance that a student goes full retard there's a serious risk of concussion. I knocked out a police officer in '97 with an elbow, during a mild evolution who was wearing a High Gear helmet, and I honestly didn't throw it hard at all.

One day I plan on having my own helmet made for this.