PDA

View Full Version : Idpa ssp rules

eXtreme0327
03-16-2011, 11:26 AM
I'm not sure if this is the right section, but..

I want to get started in idpa. I am a little confused about the rules and whatnot. I have a p30 and was thinking about getting a grey guns reduced reset trigger job on it before starting. Would this firearm be allowed to compete in idpa ssp?

ToddG
03-16-2011, 11:31 AM
As long as all of the modifications made by Grey Guns are internal (not visible from the outside), yes.

Bill Lance
03-20-2011, 10:51 AM
Funny this thread is here.

Shot my first ever IDPA yesterday. While I sucked:o, I did enjoy it. The people were great.

Anyway, looking at the home page today, it appears "stippling" is not allowed. I carry an M&P, and I have definitely stippled it. No one said anything, but I wonder---if I want to shoot again, do I risk being sent home because I improved my ability to hold onto what I consider a "slick" pistol by using the old soldering iron?
I saw several M&P's---and most seemed to have some stippling.

Thanks!!!!

Bill

jetfire
03-20-2011, 11:22 AM
Bill, per IDPA HQ you are allowed to stipple the removable backstrap part of the M&P, but not the fixed part of the grip. While it probably won't matter at a club match, if you were to go to a major where they have an equipment check, your gear would likely be disallowed.

I would also encourage you to compete with "legal" gear at a club level match. While no one is getting trophies or cash, at the end of the day there is a winner, and I feel like it contravenes the spirit of the rules to compete even at a club level with illegal equipment. On the flip side, I also would rather you shoot and participate in the sport, even with illegal equipment than not at all.

Bill Lance
03-20-2011, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the response, Caleb.

I agree with you 100%. I am fairly new to the M&P, and stippled it because I feel it is somewhat slick in stock form. I had never really considered IDPA---did it as a favor to a buddy. So I had never really looked at official equipment rules until this morning.

Maybe an excuse to buy another M&P???;)

Thanks again!

Bill

ToddG
03-20-2011, 01:36 PM
Bill, per IDPA HQ you are allowed to stipple the removable backstrap part of the M&P, but not the fixed part of the grip.

... in SSP. You can still shoot in ESP even if you stipple the whole frame.

If someone says, "but I don't want to compete against guns set up for ESP," well, the guys with legal equipment don't want to shoot against someone whose gun is clearly in ESP.

Do I think the rule against stippling is dumb, especially since skateboard and other grip tape products are perfectly legal in SSP? Yes, I do. But it's the rule.

Bill Lance
03-20-2011, 01:42 PM
That is excellent---I don't care what "division" I shoot in. Not there expecting to win---just to learn and identify my weaknesses.

Thanks, Todd!!!

And I am too much of a newbie----on this forum and in IDPA---to vent on what I think of that particular rule. ;)

Thanks again, guys for the replies.